• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Thanks, Internet! Conspiracy theorists (and skeptics) thrive online

i agree... the internet allows people like al gore and ben bernanke to spew their crack pot theories.

i agree... the internet allows people like al gore and ben bernanke to spew their crack pot theories.

If you say so, but if you read the article, they're talking about the guys who wrote and produced "Loose Change," along with the morons that thought that Obama was not born in the United States.
Say what you will about me being stupid for disagreeing with you about what happened on 9/11, nothing has shown me that anyone but Islamic extremists did it, but ignoring a birth certificate is ridiculous.

It's interesting how various things interlink. I'm old enough to remember the Kennedy assassination and the Vietnam War. These were pivotal events, because they marked the beginning of a widespread distrust by Americans of their government--long before the arrival of the internet. It's pretty much the same set of sentiments played out at a higher volume.

It's interesting how various things interlink. I'm old enough to remember the Kennedy assassination and the Vietnam War. These were pivotal events, because they marked the beginning of a widespread distrust by Americans of their government--long before the arrival of the internet. It's pretty much the same set of sentiments played out at a higher volume.

That sums up the article nicely. It's exactly what's happening. The internet provides a venue for conspiracy theories to gain traction. However, the internet is great for forums like this where people can discuss these theories and point out the holes in them, even when people disagree.

Climate Change is happening and it's happening fast.
Two words "closed system."

As for conspiracy theories.. There is a huge psychological component to conspiracy theories that makes them appealing to certain types of people. I personally am emotionally triggered by conspiracy theories. I've tried to analyze these emotions, but the feeling overall is borderline pleasant. It's a rush. It's a rush to think that there is something above and beyond my day to day events. It literally is like taking drugs for me.

Luckily, I'm able to have a small bs sniffer.. so I will eventually come down from my high and go, let's think about this, is this really plausible. Do I think this is likely?? Does it pass my sniff test? What about the sources or opposing views?

I don't think everyone is as critical in their review of conspiracy theories. I think there are quite a few people who are emotionally motivated, and react to those emotions understanding that they are being ruled by their emotions. Conspiracy theories are prevalent because they are addictive. Humans are neither logical nor rational, we are led by our base primitive reptilian brains. The internet is just a great delivery device for a source of emotional addiction. Just like it is a great delivery device for all information.

If you really want to be discusted by Dick Cheney and his team, which led americans into the Iraq war, read Richard Clarks book Against All Enemies: Inside America's War on Terror. I personally couldn't get through it, it was far to depressing. It really does make you wonder if such complete and utter incompetence was not orchestrated.

Not to say that there might not be grains of truth in many CT... but who knows what those are.

Climate Change is happening and it's happening fast.
Two words "closed system."

As for conspiracy theories.. There is a huge psychological component to conspiracy theories that makes them appealing to certain types of people. I personally am emotionally triggered by conspiracy theories. I've tried to analyze these emotions, but the feeling overall is borderline pleasant. It's a rush. It's a rush to think that there is something above and beyond my day to day events. It literally is like taking drugs for me.

Luckily, I'm able to have a small bs sniffer.. so I will eventually come down from my high and go, let's think about this, is this really plausible. Do I think this is likely?? Does it pass my sniff test? What about the sources or opposing views?

I don't think everyone is as critical in their review of conspiracy theories. I think there are quite a few people who are emotionally motivated, and react to those emotions understanding that they are being ruled by their emotions. Conspiracy theories are prevalent because they are addictive. Humans are neither logical nor rational, we are led by our base primitive reptilian brains. The internet is just a great delivery device for a source of emotional addiction. Just like it is a great delivery device for all information.

If you really want to be discusted by Dick Cheney and his team, which led americans into the Iraq war, read Richard Clarks book Against All Enemies: Inside America's War on Terror. I personally couldn't get through it, it was far to depressing. It really does make you wonder if such complete and utter incompetence was not orchestrated.

Not to say that there might not be grains of truth in many CT... but who knows what those are.

I would be very concerned if climate change did NOT happen. We are coming out of an ice age so I would expect climate to change. DUH. To think humans are causing catastrophic climate change is just plain ignorant. It is pretty well proven now that humans have almost no impact on climate. You really need to get your facts straight.

As far as conspiracy theories go. Many are conspiracy FACT. The European Union (EU) was considered a conspiracy theory not long ago. The federal reserve is currently in the middle of what I think will go down in history as the conspiracy "theory" that destroyed the USA.

I would be very concerned if climate change did NOT happen. We are coming out of an ice age so I would expect climate to change. DUH. To think humans are causing catastrophic climate change is just plain ignorant.

I have a feeling this isn't worth my time or effort.

For my two cents, one cannot change the mind of a true believer, (Lamar Keene considered it to be a cognitive disorder). It is our ego that makes us want to make a "true believer" accept our position. Sometimes, all we can do is nod and smile. I know from my own experience, that there were times that I found myself on the wrong side of the fence when it comes to difficult issues, such as the climate change issue. It is hard to face up to the idea that I was wrong. If I am to be honest, and not give over to living in a world of make believe, I have to force myself to look at the data, and accept what I see in front of me. As far as the climate change theory goes, all we can do is hope that the larger percentage of the world will get on board with this theory, (and I use theory in its scientific definition), and change our energy habits before our children and grand children pay the price.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

For my two cents, one cannot change the mind of a true believer, (Lamar Keene considered it to be a cognitive disorder). It is our ego that makes us want to make a "true believer" accept our position. Sometimes, all we can do is nod and smile. I know from my own experience, that there were times that I found myself on the wrong side of the fence when it comes to difficult issues, such as the climate change issue. It is hard to face up to the idea that I was wrong. If I am to be honest, and not give over to living in a world of make believe, I have to force myself to look at the data, and accept what I see in front of me. As far as the climate change theory goes, all we can do is hope that the larger percentage of the world will get on board with this theory, (and I use theory in its scientific definition), and change our energy habits before our children and grand children pay the price.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

Same here. I didn't think climate change was a big deal until the data became irrefutable, same thing after I watched Loose Change. I was like, these guys seem to have something here. Then I looked into it and i found that they had made stuff up and their "documentary" started off as a fictional movie.

Same here. I didn't think climate change was a big deal until the data became irrefutable, same thing after I watched Loose Change. I was like, these guys seem to have something here. Then I looked into it and i found that they had made stuff up and their "documentary" started off as a fictional movie.

Oh... much like Al Gore's movie and book?

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

It is ignorant comments like this that make me vomit in my mouth a little. I would like to see the data that supports human caused climate change.

It is our ego that makes us want to make a "true believer" accept our position.
I agree, ego is very much part of our belief system.
When I am in a conversation with someone, I often tell myself to listen, put my ego aside, I find this trick very important especially if I am feeling defensive... this enables me to hear what people are saying, rather then my ego getting in the way. But this is a thoughtful practice and takes energy and concentration. Sometimes it isn't worth the energy.
The more defensive a person is, the more their ego gets in the way of their understanding.

---------- Post added at 07:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 AM ----------

It is ignorant comments like this that make me vomit in my mouth a little. I would like to see the data that supports human caused climate change.

Are you really interested? Because, I think you have already made up your mind, your defenses are up and you have become abusive, and therefore, not worth any time.

I agree, ego is very much part of our belief system.
When I am in a conversation with someone, I often tell myself to listen, put my ego aside, I find this trick very important especially if I am feeling defensive... this enables me to hear what people are saying, rather then my ego getting in the way. But this is a thoughtful practice and takes energy and concentration. Sometimes it isn't worth the energy.
The more defensive a person is, the more their ego gets in the way of their understanding.

---------- Post added at 07:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 AM ----------

Are you really interested? Because, I think you have already made up your mind, your defenses are up and you have become abusive, and therefore, not worth any time.

been there done that with the global cooling, i mean global warming, i mean climate change, i mean climate disruption bullshit. anyone who falls for that BS needs to wake the f#$k up.

What?? They Made Stuff Up?

Nooo!! Pixel even tacitly admitted it with his most un-ignorant rejoinder. OMG!!

Now I don't know what to think. I always thought the one who yelled the loudest and was most stubborn in the face of contrary evidence was the winner of any argument. It was so easy! "I have it all figured out!" and "Anyone who disagrees with me is ignorant," had me convinced.

Made Stuff Up! Good Gawd!

I have yet to see ANY evidence of human caused catastrophic global warming. If people like Angelo and the whole AGW movement are going to make claims then they need to back these claims up with some scientific evidence and not a made up consensus.

One of the few interesting things about fundamentalists is their ability (sometimes) to switch sides of an issue, but be just as dogmatic and nasty about their new belief. There are many examples, of course, like cops who become hard core criminals or religious nuts who become atheists. I worked for a guy like that. He claimed to have been brought up in a bible thumping family, been a youth pastor, and so on. By the time I knew him, he was an obnoxious foaming anti-religion lecturer during lunch breaks and the like. It's as if they can't figure out how to think about anything without being "extreme." Which of course is not one of the hallmarks of progress, scientific or otherwise.

*Sigh*

No matter the subject, time or place, fundamentalism is tiresome and destructive.

One of the few interesting things about fundamentalists is their ability (sometimes) to switch sides of an issue, but be just as dogmatic and nasty about their new belief. There are many examples, of course, like cops who become hard core criminals or religious nuts who become atheists. I worked for a guy like that. He claimed to have been brought up in a bible thumping family, been a youth pastor, and so on. By the time I knew him, he was an obnoxious foaming anti-religion lecturer during lunch breaks and the like. It's as if they can't figure out how to think about anything without being "extreme." Which of course is not one of the hallmarks of progress, scientific or otherwise.

*Sigh*

No matter the subject, time or place, fundamentalism is tiresome and destructive.

Sounds like your ex boss woke up. Environmentalism is a substitute for the failing religious movement.

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

I read today that global warming has caused the Arctic Sea Ice to thicken and grow by 5000 cubic km in 3 years. It was 2m thick now it is 3m thick. It was supposed to all melt in those 3 years... WTF?

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

YAY!! Those Canadians are really stepping up. For Earth Day, where everyone was supposed to turn out their lights for one hour to "save energy" they saved a whopping.... oh wait... they INCREASED energy consumption by 1.01 percent... nice try tho right? ;p

Back