• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Stanford and O'Brien Episode - October 4, 2009

Free episodes:

Thanks for acknowledging Ray. He is an unsung hero of the ETH and even though I disagree with all blanket ETH explanations I applaud and honor the man's open-minded five decades of work in the scientific field of UFO research and investigation. The Socorro Case is one of the most important hard-evidence UFO cases on record and Bragalia's cavalier assertions to the contrary strike at the bedrock of scientific ufology. There will undoubtedly be serious repercussions for attempting this unwise effort at a re-writing of history. Ray has challenged Bragalia, Colgate (and any so-called hoaxers of the Socorro/Zamora Event) to a public debate addressing the facts of the case, on-air, for public review. IMO a refusal of any kind to this kind challenge will quickly put this malformed baby to rest and Ray and I can then resume our debate as to the extent of ETs involvement in the AAO mystery ;)
Thanks again Frank!

. There will undoubtedly be serious repercussions for attempting this unwise attempt at re-writing history.

Christopher-

Why is it unwise to bring up information that may (or may not) be important to the case?? It seems to me that Bagalia is just bringing this information to light, and it seems that he is not especially happy about it. I'm guessing that plenty of history, including that of ufology, could be rewritten according to new data that gets dug up. Bragalia seems to have found this information quite by accident. If it brings any more to the table as to what it was that Zamora saw, then it needs to get out IMO.

Maybe I'm a bit naive or something, but if there seem to be indications that any case has been hoaxed then why not examine it?? It may be bunk, it may be useful. What's important is truth, whatever that may be.

I wouldn't bet the bank on the outcome of a debate although it might at least get some of the facts out in the open, like I mentioned the proximity of Zamora to the craft. But the debate "winner" doesn't hold any monopoly on the truth neccessarily. I would ask if it was proper research for Anthony to bring up what he found. It seems responsible to at least report his findings even though he pronounced the whole ordeal as a fact which may not be true.

So what would you have done, or any other researcher for that matter, if you had come upon such a tidbit of information?? Often times, if it doesn't fit the conclusion then it is ommitted. I'm certainly not saying you personally, but what should have been done with such potentially countering information?? thanks

Christopher-

Why is it unwise to bring up information that may (or may not) be important to the case?? It seems to me that Bagalia is just bringing this information to light, and it seems that he is not especially happy about it. I'm guessing that plenty of history, including that of ufology, could be rewritten according to new data that gets dug up. Bragalia seems to have found this information quite by accident. If it brings any more to the table as to what it was that Zamora saw, then it needs to get out IMO.

Hearsay is hearsay, where's the beef? Its one thing to dig up a lead, its another to present the lead as a refutation of the case.

So what would you have done, or any other researcher for that matter, if you had come upon such a tidbit of information?? Often times, if it doesn't fit the conclusion then it is ommitted. I'm certainly not saying you personally, but what should have been done with such potentially countering information?? thanks

I would have corroborated the "tidbit" after stepping in it before toting the rock into a storm of adverse scientific facts I couldn't possibly hope to refute. Hey, if he thinks the story is real, I'd like to hear him try and convince Ray! THAT will be a conversation I will make sure I record and save for-the-record. :)

Stanford and O'Brian

Hi Chris,

I think the combination of Stanford and Biedny was a bit much there. They can both be a bit too sensitive at times. :)

But I did find Ray a bit much in that interview, to be honest - both in terms of his verbal marathon and his unwillingness to engage in conversation as opposed to over-explaining lecture.

I have my doubts about his temperament and self-control. If he has that much trouble keeping his head in a 2 hour interview, I tend to place a bit more skepticism on his ability to stay cool during the process of vetting a serious UFO case like this.

Thanks very much,
Apocalypto

::) Yes - His emotionalism is definitely not an asset . . . If we all want the field to be taken seriously, he & others need to remember to put a lid on it when things get a little heated - especially when someone challenges them . . . I'm not saying that they need to drone on in a monotone - but they need to avoid sounding like they've just finished watching an episode of The Roadrunner Show . . . :eek:

I'm sure this was not an easy program for our esteemed hosts, but I have to say I was totally pulled in by Mr. Stanford's delivery, and I'm not sure why he came out with the "I'll hang up right now" comment. It didn't even come off as a genuine threat, and he as well as the hosts didn't seem to be bickering or anything. Anyway ...

I not only came away with a much better understanding and appreciation of the Socorro incident, but also a profound respect for Mr. O'Brien! The way he showed such genuine deference for one of his elders, who also seems to be one hell of a detective and author, set an example that everyone would do well to follow. (The same goes for you two, Gene and Dave!)

Thanks for a GREAT show, Gene and Dave!!!! Again, I understand it probably wasn't the ideal experience, but from a listener's point of view it was really great! I learned a lot. And thanks again for your character, Mr. O'Brien. I look forward to listening to you when you come back on the show!

I listened to about half the episode Monday. I am listening to the rest of it right now and got to the point where Stanford threatened to hang up . I had to add in that is about as childish as it gets and I'm pretty much tuned out to what he has to say now, right or wrong. What grown man does that?

I not only came away with a much better understanding and appreciation of the Socorro incident, but also a profound respect for Mr. O'Brien! The way he showed such genuine deference for one of his elders, who also seems to be one hell of a detective and author, set an example that everyone would do well to follow. (The same goes for you two, Gene and Dave!)

Huh? Are you frikking kidding me?

dB

I could be mis-understanding, but I thought jpw.in.wi was paying the hosts a compliment on the respect they showed Mr. Stanford even though he was difficult at times.

I can see, however, how David might have thought that jpw meant the opposite. Maybe a clarification from the OP is in order?

Mornin TClaeys,

Allow me to interject:

Christopher-

Maybe I'm a bit naive or something, but if there seem to be indications that any case has been hoaxed then why not examine it?? It may be bunk, it may be useful. What's important is truth, whatever that may be.

There is nothing wrong with Bragalia bringing the hoax notion (again) re the Socorro case to the table; no problem posing the question or offering the theorem. The problem is how he framed it! I.e., in the confirmatory-based on hearsay.

I wouldn't bet the bank on the outcome of a debate although it might at least get some of the facts out in the open, like I mentioned the proximity of Zamora to the craft. But the debate "winner" doesn't hold any monopoly on the truth neccessarily. I would ask if it was proper research for Anthony to bring up what he found. It seems responsible to at least report his findings even though he pronounced the whole ordeal as a fact which may not be true.

If a debate occurs, which I doubt it will, then "you should" bet the bank, as science trumps hearsay every time! Again as to Tony bringing the notion to light, if he feels as a researcher that the data could overturn the established dogma, then of course the issue should be pursued; however, he's come to a conclusion before the work was done! The very fact that he is still pursuing Colgate, as written in his sequel piece "negates" his first pronouncement! If his pronouncement was indisputable he not need to proceed any further--as he is now!

Prudence dictates that he should have addressed the established evidence initially, (and privately IMHO) to see if a hoax scenario could fit; had he done so, he would have quickly realized that it's impossible!!

Cheers,
Frank

My own position is that Dave should take a break :

I think, at the moment, he is damaging his own position
by being a sort of permanently pissed off waste of space (that sounds harsh but I don't see the negativity contributing much - sorry)

by being a sort of permanently pissed off waste of space (that sounds harsh but I don't see the negativity contributing much - sorry)
We have all the episodes we need for October in the can. There's a possibility we might do one or two more in the next week, which takes us through part of November. David can sit back after that and rest all he wants. :)

One item Stanford offered up was the proximity of Zamora to the craft. He said within 55 feet and said it was probably closer than that. 50 feet is pretty close, but there seems to be some discrepency regarding this. Blue book says it was over 100. And Zamora himself puts the object at 200. Some say well over 200. I'm not sure the deal here.

If I may chime into the Paracast discussions for the first time:

TClaeys is mistaken about these numbers. He is probably getting confused (as are others) by Zamora indicating TWO positions where he saw the object on the ground. One was a distant one, 500-800 feet away from the object (depending on whose map you believe), when he first spotted the object (with the two humanoids next to it). Zamora's written account (where he placed this distance at 150-200 yards, not feet), states he stopped his car for only a few seconds to observe, then thinking it a car wreck, rapidly drove on down the dirt road to investigate and render assistance.

He parked his car directly above the spot where he had first observed the object, radioed in he was going in to investigate, then started on foot down into he arroyo. The Air Force map marks the car distance from the object at "100 feet". The FBI report says "103 feet". Ray Stanford's map also shows about 100 feet, though Ray says the paced off distance was more like 55 feet. (I personally doubt that--topos suggest probably the closest the car could be parked to the arroyo bottom was about 70 feet.)

In any case, Zamora walked part way down into the arroyo before being scared off by the object suddenly blasting off. Thus Zamora clearly approached closer than 100 feet no matter how you slice it. Stanford says the paced off distance with Zamora there to indicate exactly how far down he got was only 35 feet to the object. Even if the distance was actually double that, Zamora got a very close look at the object, which included the oval shape, an estimated length of about 15 feet, seeing the large red insignia on the side, a hole about 3 feet across at the bottom (from which the blue flame emerged), and two girder-like legs. (After he had run away, perhaps 150 to 200 feet away, Zamora also reported to Stanford that the legs folded up into the object before the object rapidly departed in dead silence).

Besides Zamora's eyewitness testimony there was much physical evidence at the scene, including four wedge-shaped rectangular landing impressions (whose geometry had interesting engineering implications--the burned soiled directly underneath was under the center of mass of the object and each landing pad would have born equal weight). There was a bush at the edge of the burn area seared cleanly in half. Chemical analysis by the Air Force of the charred vegetation and soil indicated no hydrocarbons present, as would be expected with a hoax (gasoline, kerosene, blow torch, etc.). The sand under the flame was vitrified (fused to glass), and as Ray Stanford revealed on the show, a rock he later recovered under the soil at the main burn area had large quartz crystals that were also vitrified.

Had there been "hoaxers", they left no evidence of their existence behind--no footprints, no equipment of any kind. Zamora went back immediately to the scene and backup arrived within minutes. There was no way hoaxers could have cleaned up after themselves that quickly. Hynek in a letter to Menzel noted that the only way a hoax could have been carried out is if Zamora was a part of it, as were fellow police officers and the FBI agent who also scoured the area looking for evidence of hoaxers.

Hynek also noted that talking to several police officers who arrived soon at the scene, that the landing impressions appeared to be fresh, since they penetrated into moist soil underneath. The moisture remained for several hours before drying up. Analysis of how far down the impressions were in firm soil indicated an object weighing at least several tons.

At the edge of one landing impression was a broken rock, first noted by Zamora. Stanford talked about this on the show. The broken rock had small metal particles imbedded in it (photos in Stanford's book). Stanford described well, both in his book and on the show, the coverup that ensued when the metal was taken to NASA for analysis.

However, the part that still impresses me the most, is the rapid, totally silent departure of the craft described by Zamora (directly into a stiff wind, which alone rules out a balloon), which absolutely defies any conventional propulsion system. You can get a rough idea of just how fast the object traveled from more of Zamora's testimony. He observed the object getting smaller and smaller until it faded out over the mountains to the WSW, in the vicinity of 6 Mile Canyon (which as the name implies was about 6 miles away). Zamora estimated it only took 10 seconds. Stanford in his book thought this was low and doubled it to 20 seconds. 6 miles in 20 seconds is 18 miles a minute or 1080 miles an hour average speed. Double that for maximum speed if the object had constant acceleration. That's where supersonic speed estimations come from.

Even using much more conservative numbers for fadeout distance and departure time still leads to speeds of hundreds of miles an hour, all in complete silence with an object having no wings or other obvious means of support. No human conventional craft then or now can do any of this.

And as Ray Stanford points out, there were other witnesses. Sgt. Chavez, rushing to the scene as backup, privately admitted seeing the object rapidly disappearing over the mountains, just like Zamora (as first reported publicly by Stanford on the show, though he told me this about Chavez several years ago, saying Chavez refused to go public with his observation). Chavez also observed Zamora in a state of shock and the brush still smoking.

Within days, the local newspaper reported the tourists on the main highway to the east who told the local gas station owner (Opal Grinder) about a craft that crossed the highway just above them and just about took off the top of their car. They also saw the police car going out along the dirt road to investigate. Two named tourists approaching Socorro from the west about a mile away saw something bright either landing or taking off, kicking up dust. Numerous people in town heard the roar. Stanford names two in his book he interviewed, who indicated two roars about a minute apart (presumably landing and takeoff). Stanford in his book says a police officer told him that hundreds of people on the south side of Socorro heard the roar or roars. As Stanford noted on the show, no speaker system back then could have created such a loud and pervasive sound. It also begs the question of how such a large speaker system plus power supply could have been whisked away within a minute leaving no trace behind.

People who think college pranksters could have carried this off really don't know the nitty-gritty details of the case. Stirling Colgate will never get back to Anthony Bragalia with the names of the alleged hoaxers or details of how they did it, because this was quite impossible to hoax.

AF Blue Book head at the time, Hector Quintinella, a rabid UFO debunker if there ever was one, also concluded that a hoax was not possible. If anyone wanted to explain away Socorro in prosaic terms, he was near the top of the list. Quintinella held out he hope that maybe it was some super-secret test craft. But intensive inquiry by the Air Force and other agencies indicated no such craft. Not surprising given the physical evidence left behind and the characteristics described by Zamora, such as silent, rapid departure by a wingless craft.

The case is still carried as an unknown in Blue Book records at a time when Blue Book was using every conceivable explanation in sight no matter how absurd to try to reduce the unknown percentage down to zero.

David Rudiak

I actually thought David sounded relaxed and at ease in the Budd Hopkins episode. He seemed to be having a great time, talking about Anil Gupta and all. I didn't notice anything negative in the Stanford interview until Ray threatened to hang up, and then David wisely held his peace. I thought "whoa, where did this come from?" and I wondered why the Bragalia hoax story came up so late in the episode. Probably because Ray talked so long about the sighting itself. I mean, really, getting Ray Stanford on, someone who worked with Hynek, that's a coup right up there with getting Vallee, in my opinion. Great thanks to Christopher O'Brien for his help with that.

Anyway, David is a grown up and if he needs to take time off he will take time off. We'll miss him but he doesn't need our permission. He has expressed his frustration recently in these forums but the quality of the last several guests, with the exception of the unfortunately-named Karl MAMER has been good to excellent. And another thing. I suspect, based on what I have heard his co-host and close friends say (and not say) on the show, that our Mr. Biedny does not like being called "Dave." Everyone who has referred to him on air who one might assume would have the informality of address associated with friendship has uniformly called him "David."

OK. Thanks for a great show, guys. Thanks for bringing Ray on and looking forward to hearing Chris again. For that matter, I'll bet there's a lot more interesting stuff Ray could talk about _besides_ Socorro, don't know if he'd want to do that, though.

Huh? Are you frikking kidding me?

dB

I thought I was clear. Gene and Dave kept their cool, didn't tell Mr. Stanford to go soak his head, and kept the show going. Just judging from the sounds of their voices, I appreciated how they handled the situation ... the respect they showed Mr. Stanford even when he wouldn't turn off.

That's all. What did I do wrong?

I thought I was clear. Gene and Dave kept their cool, didn't tell Mr. Stanford to go soak his head, and kept the show going. Just judging from the sounds of their voices, I appreciated how they handled the situation ... the respect they showed Mr. Stanford even when he wouldn't turn off.

That's all. What did I do wrong?

I'm sorry, I read it as saying that Gene & I were less than polite, I didn't realize you were making an inclusive statement. Thanks for the compliment!

In other words, I'm sorry, and...

:rolleyes:

dB

David Rudiak-
This has been a cause for confusion certainly on my part because I start to hear people talk about it and the distances vary greatly. One reason is the video below where Zamora states, " I went up to it close, .. about 200 feet. I was 200 feet from it...". But this seems to be before he got out of the car. I didn't think he walked very far before abruptly turning around. So maybe he was just mistaken about how far away he was?? I guess he must have been. I'm trying to think right now if I'd know how far away I was from any particular object like a car and how far I'd be off. Either way that's where I got some information and I just wanted to inquire as to the proximity. Because I think there would be noticeable difference if he was 35feet or 200ft. Much appreciated.

</EMBED></OBJECT></EMBED></EMBED>

Did some reading on the Socorro case, and i think, the evidence found is pretty compelling.I also was mistaken, in thinking that the noise from the craft was always there both in flight, and take off.It seems the noise disappeared, once the object was in flight and flew across the sky.I think that removes the possibility of a hoax. The speed of the object, once it took off, was said to be around 120 miles per hour. A type of balloon doing 120 miles a hour, is not very likely. So what craft, we know of today is able to fly silently in flight? A balloon, yes, but doing a speed of 12O miles an hour is not likely... A blimp... no ... some noise ,and i think Zamora would be able to tell the difference anyway. So what are you left with that could account for Zamora descriptions of the craft, the silence in flight and speed mentioned above? I can't think of anything myself.

The beings described in the Socorro case, are described as looking like children or being similar to human teenagers. The size and height of the beings, is open to debate, depending on which account you wish to believe. They wore white overalls as clothing. You can see, where some people will claim a hoax, just based on the descriptions given of the beings and clothing.

White overalls worn by human looking teenagers, might suggest to some people a lab experiment or a hoax created by kids. There is many problems with that version of the story. ONE... That this kids in 1964, created a craft/ or ship, and which seemed to have a weight of number of tons going on the evidence, and which they were able fly in, doing a speed of 120 miles/hour and completely silent in flight. Ya right what craft is completely silent even today? This from a logical standpoint does not make any sense.

The red symbols on the craft, described by Zamora are interesting to me. I Remember listening to a interview, last week by Mac' Tonnies on Coast to Coast. He was talking about a case from Brazil. Where a person by the name of Antonio Vilas Villa, had claimed that he, was abducted by small child beings. During his ordeal, he said human looking beings were aboard the craft and one of this human looking beings, a women had sex with him. Now , i don't now what to make of that case. Tonnies believes it is a geniune case. This are just two parts of the story, that i found interesting. One the Craft, described by Antonio was said to roughly circular or egg shaped and extended three legs when it landed. The second part, Antonio said the small beings were wearing uniforms of a grey Color and near the shoulder was a Red emblem. Just thought people might find that interesting.

David Rudiak-
This has been a cause for confusion certainly on my part because I start to hear people talk about it and the distances vary greatly. One reason is the video below where Zamora states, " I went up to it close, .. about 200 feet. I was 200 feet from it...". But this seems to be before he got out of the car. I didn't think he walked very far before abruptly turning around. So maybe he was just mistaken about how far away he was?? I guess he must have been. I'm trying to think right now if I'd know how far away I was from any particular object like a car and how far I'd be off. Either way that's where I got some information and I just wanted to inquire as to the proximity. Because I think there would be noticeable difference if he was 35feet or 200ft. Much appreciated.

Thank you for the very interesting link, which does indeed have Zamora using the 200 foot number. I hadn't heard that before. It also seems, as you point out, he was indicating where he parked and got out of the car.

Actual measurements at the site, however (USAF, FBI), generally placed the parking distance at around 100 feet. Ray Stanford placed it closer. And, of course, Zamora walked closer than where the car was parked before being scared off.

In the middle of the linked video, from the second documentary, they have Zamora walking out at the site and then zoom out to show a parked car at the edge of the shallow arroyo. Measuring the width of the car off the screen (and assuming it was 5' wide), I would estimate that the car in this scene is only 75' from the site (where Zamora is walking in the recreation). So seemingly, a car could have been parked closer than 100'. I would have guessed about 70' from topo maps.

Most people can still read a license plate at 70-100', so even if Zamora got no closer than that, he still would have seen a lot of detail of the craft.

David Rudiak

Back