• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

So What Device Do You Use to Listen to The Paracast?

In answer to your question I use the BeyondPod app on my android but I think the headline on the article is deceptive because in the very first paragraph it seems the 80% figure comes from a very specific group

"...Among the 82 percent of podcast listeners who use iOS devices, nearly all — 78 percent — use Apple's built-in Podcasts app.."

Not all mobile users as the headline suggests. If one were to include Android and yes even Windows and even Blackberry I bet that figure would be much lower or it would suggest a great number of us android users don't listen to podcasts.

Damn Gene, I just barely finished typing that out...on my android of course...and you had a reply in there.

I use Overcast on my iPhone 5S. I prefer it to the Apple Podcast app, and it's well worth the $5 in app purchase to unlock all the features. I'm also a fan of Marco Arment (the sole developer of the app) who is one of the hosts of one my favorite tech podcasts. The reason I like it so much is that it does a good job of speeding up podcasts without ruining the audio with it's Smart Speed feature which intelligently cuts out silence.

My problem with Overcast is that it doesn't appear to support our authenticated feeds for The Paracast+. I've written the author about it, but have never received a response.

I'm not sure what exactly is involved by you saying the app does not support the paracast plus but I mentioned earlier I did have a terrible time trying to get my beyondPod app to load the paracast plus feed even though it does support authentification. This apparently may have been because of the php standard that the forum uses. I contacted the app developer and got nothing in return so i fiddled around and ended up downloading the php file, opened it with a text editor and saw an xml file/url in the file so i copied and pasted that into the app and now it's right as rain.

I listen to the Paracast and the other podcasts I subscribe to (paranormal and UK news and politics mainly) either on my iPhone using the inbuilt podcast app (which I don't particularly like but have yet to find something I want to replace it with) or stream onto my Sonos speakers from my Dell laptop.

The higher quality feed of Paracast+ sounds great on the Sonos speakers BTW, I could even make out what I assume is Teddy Bear in the background of some of the recent episodes...

Teddy Bear has what I call a "tenor" bark, meaning it is audible over anything. We are using a canister of something called Sentry "Stop That!" that is supposed to calm him down with the sound it makes and some sort of special pheromone. Usually after two or three minutes he calms down, but now if you show him the canister he stops in his tracks. He doesn't like it!

But dogs will be dogs and one of our neighbors has a half dozen of them running around doing their thing, so that sets him off sometimes. Since we started using Stop That! he's gotten a lot better. Bichons, typical of smaller dogs, tend to be high strung, and my wife, Barbara, tends to be high strung too, so they feed off one another I suppose when it comes to demeanor.

I usually download into my homemade Win7 PC through our wired network and playback VIA WMP 12 into my Yamaha Amp that's plugged into my JBL 4311B monitors. Try fitting all that into your pants pocket !

It's like you're a time traveler or something :)
I don't think I have ever listened to a podcast on an actual Mac or PC. I've gone from syncing them to my 2004 iPod and 2008 iPod Touch, to using Downcast on my iPhone 4, and then moving onto Overcast.

I listen either on my Samsung Galaxy using 'Podcast Addict' app when on the move etc but to enjoy a show ad-free in great sound, I listen straight from Paracast+.

Interestingly, John Gruber at daringfireball.net indicates that his podcast has the VAST majority of listeners listening using Overcast but that's because of the nature of his audience.

I listen on an iPhone 4S using RSSRadio Feed app and/or Stitcher app. The apple podcast app is buggy but i found Stitcher streams better but RSSRadio saves better

I listen to the Paracast on the Stitcher app on my android while I travel to and from work. It makes a long commute very short!

iPhone 5s-up until this week I
hit the 'Download the GCN Version' on Safari from the Paracast home page. I don't understand the iTunes fake review problem of "too many commercials" because I've never had a problem scribbling 4-5min forward on the time tracker thingy.

What surprises me about those complaints is that they don't seem to notice that we have an alternative if they cannot fast forward. :)

Back