• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Show of Sept 11/ 2011

Greg M

Skilled Investigator
I just want to say I enjoyed tonights show a great deal. I loved the 'atmosphere' of this show. You guys cracked me up -- in-efficient governments, the lights going out (Gene, that was a perfect into to a commercial) and Chris, your laugh was truly a belly laugh, and I loved it!
During the show's intro , it was mentioned that there wasnt any feed back from the previous show. I left a comment on the face book Paracast page --- it seems easier to leaving the comments there, verses wading through page upon page. I guess I have been Facebookerized.

lamont wood show

s'ok not especially compelling

I assume the one knock against this episode even if it's not brought up, would be that there was nothing remotely "para" about it. There's nothing wrong with that, given the fact that we are encouraged to post non-paranormal threads in the forum

However, Gene took great pains to put in a disclaimer of sorts that the episode would not venture into that territory as if the guest would be pesonallly offened and run screaming from his bad phone connection.. No apologies needed guys, your show is not called the paracast for nothing. If somone is going to appear on your show they should expect ...even if it's not invoked...some veering off into paranormal realm.

At the same time, even if the dreaded "p" word was not to be mentioned, some speculation on the origins of these OOP ARTS wouldn't have been out of line, it certainly would have made the show more spicy , however mr. wood wouldn't even have that , he kept invoking the uncle ockham clause and expalined he was just pointing the anomalies out to us, nothing more , nothing less. but just the same,a big thumbs up to Gene and Chris for attempting to get some kind of speculation out of him anyhow. Admittedly some of the more easily explained artifacts were given a likely explaination but the reason for that was clear, it was the most likely answer

If the guest wanted to go the safe route that's his preogative, but just rattling off a laundry list of OOPSARTs' in a book w/o comment , to me personally, is quite boring and it certainly wouldn't get me to buy his book. Speaking for myself i was already aware of some of these artifacts (Antikythera Mechanism) and was really hoping some kind of insight was forthcoming even if it's been mentioned elsewhere

I also enjoyed Gene's quick witted "lights out" at the end of the segment, i thought for a second Chris wouldn't be able to get his normally deep throated "THE PARACAST" show identifier out

lamont wood show

I still haven't heard the show (I will do so soon), but the subject in question is certainly ripe for misinterpretations. The out of place artifacts theme is fertile ground for exotic theories that gained widespread attention during the 50's ans 60's with the works of Jacques Bergier, Robert Charroux and Erich von Däniken. Their works are filled with archaeological and historical errors, but did call the public's attention toward interesting objects of unknown or unidentified authorship. Artifacts such as the Antikythera mechanism led to absurd connections to aliens and atlantis, though we are now sure that the ancient greeks produced that amazing piece of machinery, one that defied common conceptions about our ancestors technological capabilities. It's a very interesting subject indeed, but we need more people able to do objective analysis instead of wild speculation that is only good for the realm of fiction.

lamont wood show

I was enjoying the interview until he got to the pyramids. His ideas about their construction are woefully out of date, though it does match those of most of the mainstream egyptologist. But it has major issues. Let's forget Baalbek for a moment. He says we know who build them, and how long it took, etc. Well we don't know who built it. It's said to have been built by Pharaoh Khufu, but the only evidence for this was some writing which is thought to have been hoaxed by Colonel Howard Vyse. There is no written record of Khufu building the pyramid, though there is a record of him making mention of it already being there.

Here's the problem with the many workers pulling stones; there's an estimated 2.3 million limestone blocks used in its construction. Egyptologist John Romer estimates it took 14 years to build, using 20,000 workers. To place 2.3 million stones in 14 years, you would have to move 164,286 stones per year. That's 450 stones per day. Assuming they were working 12 hour days, that's 37.5 stones per hour. Or one stone every two minutes. Really?

Plus it doesn't explain how they were moved. One of the latest ideas is a long ramp, but that would need more material in it than in the pyramid itself. Another thing he said was that the stones were not dressed until they arrived at the site, but this is not true. We have all seen the Stone of the Pregnant Woman and other large monolithic stones, which are perfectly cut and dressed, and impossible to move with todays technology.

I'm not saying it was ET, but clearly who ever built it had far greater technology than we give them credit for. Copper tools and 20,000 men couldn't have done it.

Mr. Lamont was also ignorant of the discoveries of batteries and what appears to be light bulbs, since he said where's the wire and batteries. Not that much in the way of copper wire would be intact in all that time, but they did find some.

It's a shame that a person's belief system would stop them from pondering some of the more interesting mysteries in the world.

lamont wood show

Mr. Lamont was also ignorant of the discoveries of batteries and what appears to be light bulbs, since he said where's the wire and batteries. Not that much in the way of copper wire would be intact in all that time, but they did find some.
The Baghdad batteries are an interesting find (if they really are that). Regarding the lamps, except for a hyeroglyphic that supposedly resembles a modern light bulb, I know of no archaeological evidence supporting that fact.
Nevertheless, one thing that has always puzzled me is how cave paintings were produced more than 10 000 years ago. Common sense would suggest that the artists used fire to provide light in such inaccessible (and utterly unlit) places, but the fact is that few if any soot has been found in the cave walls to support that assertion (there should be a lot due to many hours of work producing the paintings). The same is valid for egyptian tombs, some of them placed many feet below ground.

lamont wood show

The Baghdad batteries are an interesting find (if they really are that). Regarding the lamps, except for a hyeroglyphic that supposedly resembles a modern light bulb, I know of no archaeological evidence supporting that fact.
Nevertheless, one thing that has always puzzled me is how cave paintings were produced more than 10 000 years ago. Common sense would suggest that the artists used fire to provide light in such inaccessible (and utterly unlit) places, but the fact is that few if any soot has been found in the cave walls to support that assertion (there should be a lot due to many hours of work producing the paintings). The same is valid for egyptian tombs, some of them placed many feet below ground.

It seems pretty clear that the Baghdad batteries are just that. They certainly work if you fill them with an electrolyte, as was demonstrated on MythBusters. I can't find them online, but there were photos published years ago that shows blown glass object with what appeared to be some kind of filaments in them.

That's very true about the cave paintings and egyptian tombs. The explanation is supposed to be that they cleaned the ceiling of the tombs as they left, but then that fits into the shaky explanations about the pyramids being tombs (they weren't), and that they cut those stones with copper tools (they couldn't have, especially the granite in the "king's chamber").

The Egyptian hieroglyphs that show them with that object that is often depicted as a light is very interesting. They show large and small versions too. I don't know why Lamont said it's coming from their loin cloth, because they are clearly holding it in from of them. Plus they use the image over and over exactly the same way. What could it be?

egyptray.gif
l.jpg
abydosLightbulb.jpg

This is supposed to be a working version made by Erich Von Daniken from a 1996 TV special. Not sure the veracity of this though.

egyptlight02.jpg

lamont wood show

I was enjoying the interview until he got to the pyramids. His ideas about their construction are woefully out of date, though it does match those of most of the mainstream egyptologist. But it has major issues. Let's forget Baalbek for a moment. He says we know who build them, and how long it took, etc. Well we don't know who built it. It's said to have been built by Pharaoh Khufu, but the only evidence for this was some writing which is thought to have been hoaxed by Colonel Howard Vyse. There is no written record of Khufu building the pyramid, though there is a record of him making mention of it already being there.

Here's the problem with the many workers pulling stones; there's an estimated 2.3 million limestone blocks used in its construction. Egyptologist John Romer estimates it took 14 years to build, using 20,000 workers. To place 2.3 million stones in 14 years, you would have to move 164,286 stones per year. That's 450 stones per day. Assuming they were working 12 hour days, that's 37.5 stones per hour. Or one stone every two minutes. Really?

Plus it doesn't explain how they were moved. One of the latest ideas is a long ramp, but that would need more material in it than in the pyramid itself. Another thing he said was that the stones were not dressed until they arrived at the site, but this is not true. We have all seen the Stone of the Pregnant Woman and other large monolithic stones, which are perfectly cut and dressed, and impossible to move with todays technology.

I'm not saying it was ET, but clearly who ever built it had far greater technology than we give them credit for. Copper tools and 20,000 men couldn't have done it.

It's a shame that a person's belief system would stop them from pondering some of the more interesting mysteries in the world.

I agree. A discussion about the Sphinx and the great Pyramid, without mentioning the tomb of Osiris, is a bit disappointing :(

tecnologia-bloques-osirion.jpg

He was also awfully quick to dismiss the Dogon lore re. Sirius B as 'cultural contamination'. OK, fair enough —but why didn't he expand on his explanation?

lamont wood show

As I see it, the sad truth is that anyone can write a book - no real investigative preponderance required - which is apparently the case here. Mr. Wood has obviously, and willingly, been spoon-fed all of the archaeological dogma (The Great Pyramids were constructed "by eye" and with a chalk-line?!! WTF? How can any rational, thinking person that's ever done more than give this subject the very most cursory glance extol an opinion such as that?!) and has decided that that must be the correct answer - no "homework" required. After all, we folks of the twenty-first century are so darned clever, aren't we? That's what I call slip-shod, lazy and dismissive - anecdotal evidence that the man owns an encyclopedia.

Oh. But wait. I'm forgetting that he's not trying to provide "answers," just present the mysteries - which, in his case is a good thing, as it is clear that he's incapable of anything more than mainstream "fact" regurgitation - a.k.a., selling a book.

Guests of this type are a waist of my time. I invite anyone that agrees with me to make it known here so that Gene and Chris can, perhaps, attempt to steer clear of dogs like Mr. Wood in future episodes. . . hopefully.

Wayne Charlton

lamont wood show

Oh. But wait. I'm forgetting that he's not trying to provide "answers," just present the mysteries - which, in his case is a good thing, as it is clear that he's incapable of anything more than mainstream "fact" regurgitation - a.k.a., selling a book.

I also considered that a plus. It could be an interesting book if he's not trying to sell his theories about this stuff.

One thing I forget to mention in the discussion about building the Great Pyrimid is that they also had to quarry, cut and dress the stones on the same schedule as it took to place them! So a stone every two minutes, off to the barge, and up the river. It's just not possible. Even with 10,000 workers. How did they feed and house all those people? Even with modern equipment, we can't quarry all that stone.

Then you have the issue of lifting those stones into place. The latest favored idea is a ramp. But to get an angle that would make the stones easy to raise up the ramp, it becomes so long and massive, that it's estimated it would contain more material than is in the pyramid itself! Besides being preposterous, where is all that left over material?

And Baalbek. I wouldn't even hazard a guess on how they moved those big slabs! We can't do it now.

So, if the Egyptians did build that thing, it's surely lost knowledge. Maybe Ed Leedskalnin really figured it out. But he never told.

lamont wood show

The pyramids building method still eludes us, in spite of some historians childishly relying on impossible theories. The strange fact is that the building of the Giza pyramids, being an enormous undertaking for ancient egyptian society, isn't profusely represented in their art. We have paintings showing people doing almost every imaginable daily activity, but nothing showing them in the effort of building those massive structures. I'm not proposing outlandish alien intervention theories (that's an insult to our human ancestors), but historical evidence always reminds us that ancient civilizations had knowledge that got lost in the sands of time.

While its true i havent left any feedback from the recent shows, thats more a reflection of my own lassitude not the shows themselves, i do apoligise, i have taken the time to tune in and listen to them, i should have posted my appreciation of the shows themselves.
I have listened to, and enjoyed them.

lamont wood show

This subject is my "meat and potatoes," as they say, and I'm in the mood, so. . .

I also considered that a plus. It could be an interesting book if he's not trying to sell his theories about this stuff.

To be fair, I'll grant him this much. I'll also say that both our host and co-host did ask him some questions in regards to 'test the waters' of his knowledge - murky and shallow as they are.

One thing I forget to mention in the discussion about building the Great Pyrimid is that they also had to quarry, cut and dress the stones on the same schedule as it took to place them! So a stone every two minutes, off to the barge, and up the river. It's just not possible. Even with 10,000 workers.

Agreed. Hey! Maybe they cut and dressed the stones on the barge, thereby saving time! (That was sarcastic, I know).

How did they feed and house all those people?

Ah, that is a very good question, and one that is not pondered nearly enough. A work force of that size (I actually feel that your figure of 10,000 is a very conservative one, considering the enormity of the project) would be as colossal a challenge as the construction of the pyramids themselves! Any army has to be supplied. This is a fact. Ask anyone that's ever tried to invade Russia. If a king, emperor, dictator or president wants their army to pursue it's goal, that army has to have all of it's other needs met. Period. What leader in history has ever said to his people: "Every able-bodied man in the nation (which is exactly what building these pyramids would've required) must report for duty. . . oh, and, by the way, you'll all have to grow your own food and see to all of life's necessities, and mine and the priesthood, while you're at it. . . but I'll pay ya!"

Yeah, imagine that the Pharaoh pulls the conscripts (farmers?) from their fields, takes their scythe from them, shoves a copper chisel in one hand, a wooden maul in the other, throws a hemp rope and a "chalk-line" over their shoulders and says; 'There. Now you're megalithic stonemasons!' And we're expected to believe that, one day, the extent of these poor bastards knowledge is planting, digging irrigation ditches and shoveling shit, and the next day, they're masterfully building the single greatest standing structures that the world has, or will, ever see? It's absurd! It's laughable! It's insulting, and Zahi Hawaas can kiss my ass!! I ain't buyin' that! That's not how things work in the real world. If there is any single creation by the hands of men or "Gods" that absolutely SCREAMS 'technology!' - it is the Great Pyramid of Giza, Egypt.

Then you have the issue of lifting those stones into place. The latest favored idea is a ramp. But to get an angle that would make the stones easy to raise up the ramp, it becomes so long and massive, that it's estimated it would contain more material than is in the pyramid itself! Besides being preposterous, where is all that left over material?

This video represents the latest theory being touted by "Mr. Egyptology" - Zahi Hawaas (or as I prefer to call him - Zowi Hogwash).
Though it's been well considered, digital animations (I particularly like how a seventy-ton megalith displaces the barge it's depicted being drawn aboard not one bit) and little balsa wood and paper models on a flat, smooth table top prove absolutely nothing. Seventy-ton granite blocks would pulverize wood sleds and rails - even if they could somehow be lifted onto them - animal fat lubrication be damned! It's pure mental masturbation. . . don't get any on ya.

And Baalbek. I wouldn't even hazard a guess on how they moved those big slabs! We can't do it now.

Quite correct. The largest of those megaliths is about a mile away where it was quarried and weighs approximately 1,100 tons! That's two-million, two-hundred-thousand (2,200,000) pounds!! That can't be lifted, that can't be dragged. . . but it was moved.

So, if the Egyptians did build that thing, it's surely lost knowledge.

Another video that I've come across recently is this one
called 'The Revelation of the Pyramids'. It's in seven parts, but well worth the effort and time spent. I've read a lot on this subject and still I learned things I didn't know before. Recommended.

Cheers.

Wayne Charlton

lamont wood show

THX1138 (nice alias by the way, its a great film :)
Do you have any particular theory of your own on how the pyramids were built?

lamont wood show

As I see it, the sad truth is that anyone can write a book - no real investigative preponderance required - which is apparently the case here. Mr. Wood has obviously, and willingly, been spoon-fed all of the archaeological dogma (The Great Pyramids were constructed "by eye" and with a chalk-line?!! WTF? How can any rational, thinking person that's ever done more than give this subject the very most cursory glance extol an opinion such as that?!) and has decided that that must be the correct answer - no "homework" required. After all, we folks of the twenty-first century are so darned clever, aren't we? That's what I call slip-shod, lazy and dismissive - anecdotal evidence that the man owns an encyclopedia.

Guests of this type are a waist of my time. I invite anyone that agrees with me to make it known here so that Gene and Chris can, perhaps, attempt to steer clear of dogs like Mr. Wood in future episodes. . . hopefully.

Wayne Charlton

Ya...I completely disagree with you. This was a very interesting show and the guest presented some very compelling mysteries. On the forums we crucify guests for coming to conclusions based on minimal evidence and now we are going to knock this guy for not coming to conclusions that would be entirely based on conjecture? If you want to read about some interesting conclusions based on circumstantial and shoddy evidence I suggest reading a book authored by Eric Von Daniken. Gene and Chris, this guest was not a waste of my time...

lamont wood show

Wooof! Well, since you are so dissatisfied and dismissive, why don't you suggest someone else to tackle the topic on the show? ... I was thinking Christopher Dunn. His work is highly intriguing...

lamont wood show

THX1138. . . Do you have any particular theory of your own on how the pyramids were built?

I have no "pet theory" of my own regarding the construction of the Great Pyramids nor their intended purpose. I am, however, intellectually honest enough to admit that I don't know - something you will find very few, if any, "egyptologist" willing to do. "I don't know" is a legitimate answer, even in a court of law. There's no inherent shame in a persons admittance of ignorance. It is hypocrisy and hubris pride that prevents academics from simply admitting that they haven't the slightest clue, either. I can abide ignorance. But, I cannot abide prideful arrogance and bald-faced lies presented as "fact" to cover it.

One thing I am convinced of, though, is that the Great Pyramids were not built by copper-age farmers "by eye" with the use of chalk-lines, and I hope that you are too.

Wooof! Well, since you are so dissatisfied and dismissive, why don't you suggest someone else to tackle the topic on the show? ... I was thinking Christopher Dunn. His work is highly intriguing...

Christopher Dunn would be an excellent choice for guest, as would John Anthony West, Graham Hancock and Robert Bauval - all four are top-notch thinkers and researchers - West, Hancock and Bauval particularly. I sincerely thank you for asking.

I wish to apologize for "blasting off" in my first reply to this thread. It was not my intention to piss in anyone's Cheerios. Although, if this is what it took to get some attention on a guest request (you see, I've emailed Gene a couple of times regarding getting Hancock on the show without success - sorry Gene) then I guess it's been worth the risk if it makes it happen. I've been a fan of the Paracast from it's inception, and it's the only paranormal radio show I listen to with any regularity. . . actually, it's the only radio show I listen to with any regularity (with the exception of a Dark Matters show every now and again). . . and I have no complaints (at present) with the fine job you guys do - week-in, week-out - nor, for the most part, with your selection of guests. I realize that not every single show is going to, or can, "shine." So, no hard feelings?

Wayne Charlton

lamont wood show

I was thinking Christopher Dunn. His work is highly intriguing...

Yes! Please!

---------- Post added 09-14-2011 at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-13-2011 at 11:59 PM ----------

The pyramids building method still eludes us, in spite of some historians childishly relying on impossible theories. The strange fact is that the building of the Giza pyramids, being an enormous undertaking for ancient egyptian society, isn't profusely represented in their art. We have paintings showing people doing almost every imaginable daily activity, but nothing showing them in the effort of building those massive structures. I'm not proposing outlandish alien intervention theories (that's an insult to our human ancestors), but historical evidence always reminds us that ancient civilizations had knowledge that got lost in the sands of time.

I have wondered about this too. The egyptians documented everything. But nothing on the pyramids. Not one little drawing or anything. So maybe they didn't build them, and they were their already. They did seem to make the smaller stepped ones, and they didn't do a very good job.

I did read that there is a reference to the pyramids in a document taking an inventory of sorts of things int he area. So they were taking notes about the pyramid. I think it was in Khufu's time. I have to find where i read that. If that's the case, he didn't build it, and was taking notes about it.

just throwing this in there, would have liked to have raised questions about the so called "Black Box of Thoth" and allso brought in the Edward Leedskalnin thing too.
anyway

peace

Back