• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Sept. 21st - Lisa Lindley

I was very skeptical throughout the entire interview. I like to think of myself as a pretty open minded guy but like Dave claims on the show I don't necissarily believe in all of the topics covered on the show and when anybody mentions religion red flags immeidiatly pop up for me. I have had very bad experiences with religion and I just don't buy it. Something could be going on but to automatically give it a religious undertone is so one sided. All I could think about was the poor girl and how tramatic this whatever it is/was for her. I was so glad that the subject of pyshcological testing was brought up and was agast by the response of Lisa when she said that she didn't ever consider approaching someone. Personally I could not through what they are going through without talking to anybody. Really good interview guys keep up the good work!!

I don't want to sound mean-hearted, but here in the Bible Belt aka Midwest, there is a very, very strong tradition of accepting all things religious and right-winged. My wife and I have strongly discussed moving out of the area in a few years.

I would say the two overriding features of the region are apathy or fundamentalism.

While perhaps it was useful at some point in humanities development, organized religion offers a complete paradigm to answer almost any question. Black and white thinking is fostered and fed, intolerance insues, oh my!

OK, seriously, it's human nature to divide into groups of different type and define your own group by putting down another group. We are hopelessly flawed in this. Even if we were all the same religion, gender, social class, education level, etc. etc. etc., we would still find some way to divide up and fight each other.

To me, the most amazing thing about this "interview" is the fact that Gene & David managed to draw 2 hours worth of content out of this woman. I was once a journalist and I would have given up after 10 minutes.

That being said, I have a few observations. First, I live in the midwest, right in the midst of a "red state" full of right-wing fundamentalist christian dingbats. The fact that Lisa hasn't gotten professional help for her daughter doesn't in the least surprise me - many of the fundamentalist churches the likes of which she attends discourage seeking professional help outside the church - and if you feel you need the professional help, well, they just so happen to have someone on their staff who WILL help you - for a fee. (and, I might add - a VERY LONG TIME - usually in direct correlation with the amount of monetary resources one has available). When Lisa started in with that line that all the doctors would do is put her on medications, well, I could just hear that statement coming straight from the pastors mouth. I've seen firsthand what these people can do to innocent folks "in the name of god" and it isn't pretty & and the word "huksters" comes to mind.

However, if Lisa really wanted to get to the bottom of this, taking that poor child to seek the help of a phychiatric professional (one with real licensed credentials and a degree) is exactly what she should do to PROVE her hypothesis that this is demonic in nature. Cause, if it is, I would assume that even drugs & treatment won't shut the voices off... I guess that would prove her story once & for all.

I thought this story ranked right up there with the recent discovery of bigfoot in the freezer, credibility wise. Just the fact that Lisa refused to give you her books to read (and if she couldn't afford to give them to you, she could have LOANED them to you for the interview's sake) prior to the interview - should have been enough of a red flag. Lisa should have surmised that just the interview alone would increase the sales of her books (and isn't that why she was on the show in the first place? ) - that is, if she truly thought she could pull off this interview and sound credible. Perhaps that is exactly why she would't take the risk of handing out a free book to Gene & David? hmmmmmmmmmmm, I wonder!

You might suggest to Lisa that she haul her daughter to Sarah Palin's pastor in Alaska to have her daughter treated - I saw a newscast yesterday where he laid hands on Palin and sent her witches running. Thank god, because otherwise, I would be so very worried for the future of our country. ;)

As a side note, I'm a long admirer of The Paracast and this is my first post to the message boards!

Excellent points, Wdflr.

However, if Lisa really wanted to get to the bottom of this, taking that poor child to seek the help of a phychiatric professional (one with real licensed credentials and a degree) is exactly what she should do to PROVE her hypothesis that this is demonic in nature. Cause, if it is, I would assume that even drugs & treatment won't shut the voices off... I guess that would prove her story once & for all.

I think as far as Lisa is concerned, she already is at the bottom of this, and she needs no outside verification about what whe already "knows."

As I listened to the questions Gene and David were asking my own perception led to form my opinion that she is not on the level.

Then the tells I comprehend from GS and DB are my second things i look for to confirm how I am forming the credibility of this author. I feel the strongest thing to me is that if she was worth trying to learn more about is the lack of desire to read this book. Not worth it for them to read it or the expense.

The questioning was strong and extremely conducive to bringing out the authors tells that make me believe she is fabricating the story to a degree I cannot accurately judge. When David brought up what the meaning of a 20th century soldier apparition the daughter saw. That strongly suggests to me that this is due to some sort of dream recollection leading to this evidence of paranormal activity.

great work. I appreciate through the interview and questioning I feel I can go with my first instinct about my perception of the truthfulness and validity of the happenings described. I don't believe her and think this is monetarily driven pursuit. I have a feeling for my non interest ever buying that book there are most likely 3 or 4 people who didn't listen to the paracast interview and will buy that book.

thanks for the shows

glenn

Well said.

Lance,

Thank you for talking some sense, I am shocked people in here remotely believe this story.

This woman obviously has a history of mental illness in her family, her daughter and her are very sick and it's a shame they are not getting help. To deny your daughter help is paramount to child abuse, but like i said the mom is also so sick, you almost can't blame here. She is living in a fantasy world and when David opens a door to get out by telling her dont worry about the orbs she fights to stay in it. no matter how scary she thinks these demons are the fact is she is more affraid of her real life and history and by living this way she has no time or energy to deal with it.

Of course she controdicted herself, she can't tell a lie from the truth, I began to even wonder if she had a familey and she was just making this all up husband included, cause if her husband was skeptical he would not have gone for any of this. Ok I have never written here about a show, but I had to get this off my chest, it was a very troubling 2 hours. I have to give Gene props usualy David is the one who has the pointed questions, but this time Gene was forcefull an it seemed to me very annoyed by her and David was more compassionate cause I think he knows she is crazy.

Ok, that's all I had to exhale.

If I sounded annoyed, it was because I thought she was not doing right by her daughter in failing to contact competent practitioners to help evaluate the situation. Whether or not the encounters have an external reality doesn't change the fact that the child was severely traumatized as a result.

Reciting a few Bible passages might help deliver a modicum of comfort, but it won't find any answers to what's really going on.

I've got over 22 years experience as a parent. I hope I've learned something.

My git tells me that "something" is going on with this house and this woman's daughter. Is she exagerating or confabulating? Maybe. Probably.

But - The real story - the really scary stuff (if this is true) is the emotional health of the daughter.

PLEASE - Somebody get Bread Steiger in on this!

My git tells me that "something" is going on with this house and this woman's daughter. Is she exagerating or confabulating? Maybe. Probably.

But - The real story - the really scary stuff (if this is true) is the emotional health of the daughter.

PLEASE - Somebody get Bread Steiger in on this!
The problem has followed the daughter through two homes and to her school. So it's not a haunted house, right?

What's more, the other experiences reported by Lisa seem to be a little questionable. 99% seems to be related to the daughter, and it's possible she added some stuff to reinforce her belief there's an external demonic force responsible.

Brad Steiger? Maybe.

Questionable is right. Lisa just doesnt seem quiet right to me!. Too many books written by Lisa about this subject. Dont you have to be calm, settled, and not be troubled in the mind to write such books?.

Could she have wrote so many books in such a short period of time. Wouldnt her mind be in such a troubled state.It was her family this was happening to after all?

I am not a expert on it. But could she have wrote so many books in that state, really guys.:confused:

Maybe this is not a case for Brad Steiger. Maybe the dept. of child welfare.

I'm not a parent, so I shy away from telling other people how to raise kids, but this story is disturbing.

Well, I could be overreacting a bit. But Lisa's comments about spirits telling her daughter to cut herself bothered me, to be honest. it made me wonder if things had kind of gone to a dangerous point. Once a kid gets into cutting, that become addictive behaviour.

Also, there were comments about her husband battling with the evil forces. What actually was involved in said battles was never really adressed.

Whole families can get caught up in dysfunctional behavior.

I'll keep further concerns to myself.

Paranormal students, myself included, are used to looking at things from every possible angle and drawing likely conclusions. That's what we do--We take stories of vague and contradictory events, usually with almost no evidence but the credibility (or lack thereof) of the claiments, and build scenarios. If you take your story to the paranormal press, so to speak, you are going to face that kind of scrutiny and inferential study.

I was shocked that she didn't pass out from a lack of oxygen. What a talker. Several warning flags were raised when listening to this woman. When confronted with evidence of a _possibility_ these orbs could be not what she took them to be, she instantly became confrontational. Despite repeated attempts of explanations why she could be mistaken, she refused to budge from her stance believing these were orbs. No one would change her mind.

I heard the same confrontational defiance when they tried to bring up the subject of having the girl checked out by a psychiatrist for an evaluation. Again, she was firm in her conviction that this is about a battle of good and evil, nothing else. That means to me that she hasn't eliminated the possibility of brain disease and mental disorders. It tells me that she really isn't interested in discovering the true cause of these things, and it says to me that she is helping to feed and prolong the dysfunction we're hearing occur in her household.

She has preconceived notions of what psychiatrists do, but it didn't sound to me like had previous experience with them to make that kind of judgement. Even so, she confidently was able to disregard whatever help they might be able to provide without knowing what they could provide. Hello, lady? You don't automatically start with a belief that this is caused by demons and angels, you only reach that paranormal level of belief after you've researched and eliminated every other more conventional explanation and treatment. It's entirely possible it's a combination of paranormal and normal causes, but you'd still want to have the girl's physical/psychological problems treated. I'd do that for a kid that I cared about and loved, and it's what she should have already done.

Playing with the mental health of a child is dangerous behavior from a parent with such a deep belief in religion. We've all heard the horror stories of how faith will cure the child, because doctors and medicine aren't necessary. But people living in the real world know that life doesn't always have a happy ending. I sense this could be one of them. It's worse yet when the parent refuses to listen to advice from other people and experts, and has decided that she has all of the answers. When that happens the parent has become a part of the problem.

My apologies for posting so late on the thread, i came across the podcasts recently on i-tunes, and am catching up.

This woman is severely deluded im afraid. The orbs that are mentioned are nothing of any significance - the pictures just look like a very iffy camera has been used.

The real issue is the mental health of her daughter. I hope she has been seen by a professional - when this type of religious clap trap gets applied to someone suffering with mental health issues, there is usually severe harm dealt, sometimes even death - plenty of reasearch available on the web about this

It became immediately apparent to me that this was a case of her daughter's mental illness when the "demon" called the mother "S.O.B mom". No entity from the depths of whatever evil ether would swear like that, because it's the lamest thing it could ever say :) . I'm being humorous but also serious, that's not a demon, that's some sheltered Midwest kid who's just learning swear words. My heart goes out to this girl. May she eventually be free from her illness and the tyranny of her ignorant, embarrassing, money-mongering mother.

Just listened to this yesterday.

I'm 9 years behind but I can't resist commenting!

I think every guest on the show who deals with "victims" needs to be asked this question:

If your daughter (or whoever) was attacked by a REAL PERSON -- stalked at night, thrown across the room, threatened with death, made to do stuff against their will -- would you not:
1) get them checked by a doctor
2) get them checked by a mental health professional
3) have the police on standby
4) move them away from the situation, or bring in support people?

If the answer is yes, why is it any different with an "entity" attack?

Duty of care!

Back