• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Ray Stanford Returns to the Paracast!

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member
Ray Stanford, (in my estimation) our most experienced veteran of 'UFO studies," will describe for Paracast listeners, his interpretation of the evolution of 'discoids' used in the Missippian game of "Chunkey", from the very first seeming alien craft effigies laboriously produced in magnetic hematite-magnetite, forward to discoids that became increasingly practical for use in "Chunkey" that was seemingly patterned after observations of anomalous disc-like, domed objects docking with long, narrow things that in this space age we might call 'motherships'.

A recent UFO Iconoclast(s) article claimed that there is no evidence whatsoever that ancient civilizations left any record or evidence of encounters with alien visitors or technology. The writer brashly declared, " My point is that human culture (art, writing, warfare et cetera) has been noted by the ancients right up to today, with no ubiquitous [huh?] insertion of UFOs or things that look like UFOs." Is the writer just ignorant of words he throws around, or just playing semantic games?

Any claim that no culture has left us evidence of "things that look like UFOs", is demonstrably FALSE, as shown in the following photos of ancient works of the Missippian culture of the American Indian, between 500 and 1,000 years ago, and the Fort Ancient culture of 1,000 to 1,750 years ago. As you will see, the objects speak for themselves rather loudly...

The following images are protected by copyright law, and unauthorized reproduction of them could lead to prosecution. Image-search technology may be used via the internet to detect any unauthorized uses of these images.
Below are two magnetic (thus with some magnetite) hematite discoids, from the old Piedrit collection, found in Hancock county, Illinois, late in 19th or early in 20th centuries, decades before the term 'flying saucer' ever came into usage. Although made between 1,000 and 500 years ago, they look strangely familiar. This type of Missippian discoid is evidently the earliest form of discoid from that culture, and they are the rarest of those finds. Perhaps they were 'magical' effigies of things seen in the sky (or closer?), intended for shamanic evocation of forces that might have been deemed associated with objects actually seen.
Discs# 1 & Disc # 2 Piedrit col. Haccock co. IL.jpg
The largest of the three most "UFO"-like hematite (with magnetite) discoids in the Ray Stanford collection of more than 30 discoids of various materials and types, is shown in the next slide at upper-right (# 3). The 'Salt River' type discoids, which lack a dome on either side, are interpreted as the next discoid development phase, toward more practical-to-roll (on the ground) game pieces. *Map shows find locations.*
Side # 3 for Eddie Middleton, ANCIENT UFO EFFIGIES.jpg
Twenty-six years before the term "flying saucer" or "flying disc" entered our vocabulary, the discoid seen below was found during tree-clearing of a bluff above the Illinois River, just outside Havana, Illinois. If we look closely, we see what may be residue of small mother-of-pearl shell discs that might have been placed in the peripheral holes around the flange and dome. If that was the situation, then the discoid would have looked even more like an anomalous aerial object (AAO) with plasma-generating 'emitters' arranged exactly as we see them sequentially generating plasma in the inserted black and white photo from January 2, 1979, taken in Penang, Malaysia, by a British airman. The similarity of the object photographed at least 500 years after this hematite discoid was made, is very striking, to put it conservatively..Note 8 emitters on hematite discoid and on disc in photo (one emitter is dark due to sequence of firing).
Side # 7  for Eddie Middleton, ANCIENT UFO EFFIGIES.jpg
The latest hematite discoid ("Salt River" type) added to the Stanford collection has the exact almost lead-like appearance of the seemingly 'hybrid' material of most types of 'shuttle craft' when not obscured by plasma and/or an anomalous light-absorbing phenomenon. The cavities in this discoid are where less durable forms of hematite and hydrated iron oxide (limonite) leached out by acetic ground water during hundreds of years underground.

Side # 9  for Eddie Middleton, ANCIENT UFO EFFIGIES.jpg

BELOW: Evidence suggesting that humanoids and/of humans went into and came from disc-like objects depicted 1,000 to 1,750 years ago in the earlier Fort Ancient culture of Ohio? (Ray Stanford collection)

Slide # 10 Method of entry and leaving....jpg
Ray says, "If you allege that those don't represent anomalous aerial objects, you'd better offer a more reasonable explanation. The above disc (with images of ladders) cannot be interpreted as representations of ladders going in or out of a kiva. Archaeological evidences of the Fort Ancient culture and the succeeding Mississippian culture show no evidence of kivas."

He will also describe additional evidences of knowledge of anomalous aerial objects, in shell and ceramic icons of the Missippian culture, which he has studied for 57 years. He has spent 22 of those years assembling his ancient discoid collection.

In a second session he will tell us about his UFO hard data project's discoveries that, applied with insight, enable the discerning to quickly distinguish fake 'UFO' photos, films, and videos, from the real things.

Please keep your questions on topic. We'll have Ray back to discuss his UFO films and analytical work on a later show...

Those are really interesting images. However, it does leave me wondering why he provides us with those, but not the ones he has mentioned where you see an actual giant craft with beings on the inside. Still, those are pretty cool, but we can't jump to the conclusion that they represent anomalous aerial objects. We can't be certain of that at all.

I'm looking forward to hearing him on the show.

Well, I see some interesting rocks and some interesting patterns. But, I'm not seeing proof of alien intellegence or interaction. But, I have seen one or two things in the sky that I still can't explain. So, I'll stay open and I look forward to your interview with Mr. Stanford.

I'm also distracted right now. I'm passing time until the Crimson Tide kicks some Bayou Tigger butt tonight. :cool: After that I'll be more myself and more into watching the night sky. ;)

Well, I see some interesting rocks and some interesting patterns. But, I'm not seeing proof of alien intellegence or interaction...
So what is your "reasonable explanation" that explains why these objects were manufactured--some of them a thousand or more years ago?

I have always fascinated by time, perhaps unsurprising since some of my earliest childhood memories involve sitting around the TV on sunday night with the extended family and watching Dr Who.
I would be keen to hear any expansion on the compressed time you mentioned chris , in relation to Rays research.
And thank him for the photos, they are fascinating esp that one taken by the british airman in malaysia

And i agree that the
claim that no culture has left us evidence of "things that look like UFOs", is demonstrably FALSE

Its an absurd claim, there are example after example of things that might or might not be UFO/aliens.
The Australian Aborigine's Wandjina may or may not be depictions of greys

preview.jpg

Its a matter of interpretation, but to say there is NO evidence is false

Or this one

Complete with strange symbols

ufo1803.jpg

I'm still wondering about the event I saw from my backyard a couple of years or so ago. Don't get me wrong I would love to believe we are on the cusp of contact. I just can't take that leap of "faith." At least not right now.

Questions? Man, where to begin. I mean...wow... look at that Havana discoid...I didn't even know these things existed.

1. Have you ever heard of similar artifacts in cultures outside the Americas? The ancient greeks used discs in the olympic games I guess, but I don't think they had that peculiar shape.

2. If not, do you see a connection to the (really just subjective?) observation that the american continent seems to be somewhat popular with UFOs?

3. Are there any native american stories or legends about these discsoids, how they originated and especially why they were shaped like this (with the dome and the pearls)?

4. Did you find any traditions that talked about "Chunkey" and it's origins?

5. Does the use of material like magnetite and pearls in at least some of those artifacts imply that they might have been seen as magical or sacred - or that they were made in the image of something that was percieved as being macigal (i.e. UFOs)?

6. Did you ever watch a game of Chunkey? Are the discoids thrown or spun through the air? Or are they rolling on the ground?

OK, that's all for now. As for the question why there aren't more visible influences of UFO interaction in art and culture history, I'd say there hasn't been much if any. These things are seen and maybe they observe us but they don't seem to interact if they can avoid it. Besides, there are, for example, no recognizable legends, petroglyphs or something of Neanderthals, either, and there must have been some interaction with humans for thousands of years.

When I talked to Ray Stanford on the telephone many years ago; he told me about bouncing a laser beam off the surface of a UFO. He was proud because he figured that he was the first person to have ever done that. I had already done that back in 1977, not that it matters. Having him resurface in the media is like going back in time. Funny how things play out.

When I talked to Ray Stanford on the telephone many years ago; he told me about bouncing a laser beam off the surface of a UFO. He was proud because he figured that he was the first person to have ever done that. I had already done that back in 1977, not that it matters. Having him resurface in the media is like going back in time. Funny how things play out.

Where did you get a laser from in 1977 ?

The laserdisc player, introduced in 1978, was the first successful consumer product to include a laser but the compact disc player was the first laser-equipped device to become common, beginning in 1982 followed shortly by laser printers.

Red and red-orange
These are the simplest pointers, as laser diodes are available in these wavelengths. The pointer is no more than a battery-powered laser diode. The first red laser pointers released in the early 1980s were large, unwieldy devices that sold for hundreds of dollars

Not saying you didnt, but im interested in what type it was, and how much it cost in 77

Where did you get a laser from in 1977 ?

Not saying you didnt, but im interested in what type it was, and how much it cost in 77
I ordered the laser from Edmund Scientific. It was a Spectra Physics helium neon laser tube. The color of the beam was red. I can't recall what I paid for it. I also purchased a compact battery powered power supply (10,000 volts), a gel cell battery with a carrying case.

I live in the midwest and there are some places that have caves in the region. Are there any cave paintings that have been discovered that correspond to the designs of any of the discoids in the photographs that would make some kind of a correlation here? It seems pretty obvious these were just game pieces if one reads about the Chunkey game on Wikipedia. The shapes in the photos are interesting but where is the correlation? Additionally the photos of the black objects seem to show the tops of the objects. If these were flying craft how would anyone standing on the ground know what the tops looked like unless there was an airshow?

I ve been listening to the show for years as you can see from my member since date, so I guess that was my "Long time listener, first time caller" post. If u use my question during the show could u say "caller yoire on the air"??

Thx. -Ben

I live in the midwest and there are some places that have caves in the region. Are there any cave paintings that have been discovered that correspond to the designs of any of the discoids in the photographs that would make some kind of a correlation here? It seems pretty obvious these were just game pieces if one reads about the Chunkey game on Wikipedia. The shapes in the photos are interesting but where is the correlation? Additionally the photos of the black objects seem to show the tops of the objects. If these were flying craft how would anyone standing on the ground know what the tops looked like unless there was an airshow?
There are historical records of native Americans observing aerial phenomenon. That is one of the perplexing aspects about UFOs. It's not like they recently arrived here on earth. As to the discoids, there is no way to prove if they are modeled after UFOs. UFOs sometimes descend to the ground, so they could have seen the entire craft. Back then the UFOs probably weren't as wary of humans as they are now. Hard telling what the Indians saw hundreds of years ago in the wilderness.

Question - Is there any correlation or connection between what the Native Americans actually called these discoid game pieces and flying/sky/star people etc. In other words, do the native names for the objects imply that they (the discoids) are indeed icons of flying craft?

I ordered the laser from Edmund Scientific. It was a Spectra Physics helium neon laser tube. The color of the beam was red. I can't recall what I paid for it. I also purchased a compact battery powered power supply (10,000 volts), a gel cell battery with a carrying case.

Was it as big as this one ?

3.jpg

7.jpg

It must have cost thousands in the day, Hats off to your enthusiasm.
Did you use it for anything other than tagging UFO's ?

Isnt it amazing that a device like that, can now be purchased for a buck or two and hang off a key chain.
Its a funny old world, i remember when the first mobile phones cost 5 grand and were refered to as "bricks" now they are as small as a star trek communicator and are given away by phone companys with a plan

Was it as big as this one ?

3.jpg

7.jpg

Did you use it for anything other than tagging UFO's ?

Isnt it amazing that a device like that, can now be purchased for a buck or two and hang off a key chain.
Its a funny old world, i remember when the first mobile phones cost 5 grand and were refered to as "bricks" now they are as small as a star trek communicator and are given away by phone companys with a plan
It wasn't anywhere near that large. I only paid about $600.00 for the laser head. It was a laser tube inside of an aluminum cylinder. I did dabble in holography. I want a dye laser.

I only paid about $600.00 for the laser head. The month of July in 1977 was the most extraordinary experience in my entire life. I wouldn't have missed it for anything.

Back