• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Politics & The CIC/Prez

A pardon didn't go so well for Gerald Ford and Richard Nixon as you recall.

Consider, too, all the people who went to jail for taking classified documents and it will only make it clear that those who are rich can escape real punishment. It may well be that Trump is only running for office to escape the possibility of jail one way or the other. And take the donations and run.

A pardon worked out just fine for Ford in the long run - history views him much more kindly for it than his contemporaries did. Sometimes, you have to do the right thing for the greater good. Ford knew that. I hope Biden would as well.

Biden’s play, if he wanted to be a true statesman, would be a conditional pardon of Trump for all federal crimes (nothing he can do about state charges), and then an announcement that he wasn’t going to run in 2024.

If Biden is re-elected and there are no unsavory consequences to his candidacy, I suppose that might be an approach to consider. But, as you say, it won't stop the prosecutors in New York City or Atlanta, where the cases aren't coming to a close very quickly and he still might get jail time. Unless Trump takes the pardon and his money and flees. Maybe his pal Putin will take him in.

If Biden is re-elected and there are no unsavory consequences to his candidacy, I suppose that might be an approach to consider. But, as you say, it won't stop the prosecutors in New York City or Atlanta, where the cases aren't coming to a close very quickly and he still might get jail time. Unless Trump takes the pardon and his money and flees. Maybe his pal Putin will take him in.

The state charges in New York are weak, to say the least. I doubt he will get convicted there. Georgia is potentially much more serious, but I doubt they would pursue those if there was a federal pardon.

Biden needs to retire. An octogenarian has no business running the world’s most powerful nation. He did us all a solid by beating Trump, and he’s had a reasonably good term. Time to pull a James Polk.

I suppose Biden can get re-elected, then retire and let Harris take over. If he were to give up now, finding a Democrat who might win against, say, a Trump, might not be so easy.

You see the dilemma now for the Democrats.

I agree that Biden is too old. I mean, he's just a few years older than me, but his physical issues, based on his last examination, are somewhat more severe than mine. And he takes meds that are a lot more powerful (Eliquis for example). I cannot imagine how I'd manage to run a country even though I'm in decent shape. I can't imagine how he does it, unless his staff is doing most of the work (as they probably are), and he's getting constant care to keep it up.

You see the dilemma now for the Democrats.

I agree that Biden is too old. I mean, he's just a few years older than me, but his physical issues, based on his last examination, are somewhat more severe than mine. And he takes meds that are a lot more powerful (Eliquis for example). I cannot imagine how I'd manage to run a country even though I'm in decent shape. I can't imagine how he does it, unless his staff is doing most of the work (as they probably are), and he's getting constant care to keep it up.

The Democrats have a deep bench. I doubt that Harris would be the nominee should Biden pull out. And the only Republican he’s going to beat is Trump… and even that is iffy. Let a real primary sort out who leads the next generation (it won’t be the super crank RFK Jr., that’s for sure).

I would give the Republicans the same advice re: Trump.

It would have to happen in the next few months, though, before there wouldn't be enough time to establish a candidate and get it going.

With the Republicans, I can't think of anyone currently running who'd shine in Trump's departure. Christie perhaps, but he's not getting much traction.

It would have to happen in the next few months, though, before there wouldn't be enough time to establish a candidate and get it going.

With the Republicans, I can't think of anyone currently running who'd shine in Trump's departure. Christie perhaps, but he's not getting much traction.

Yes, quite so. Biden needs to withdraw soon. I doubt it will happen. It would be nice to see him challenged by a real candidate, instead of nuts.

There are decent Republicans out there. I don’t agree with them on much, but there’s a number of them that would be fine as President, or at least responsible.

In the old days, Senator McCain would have been decent as a Republican President. If he had beaten Obama, it wouldn't have been too bad except that he was coerced into accepting a pre-MAGA loonie as his VP.

While visiting a friend last summer we started talking about politics around his coffee table. Suggesting that he run for mayor he replied no. Then when asking why? He replied "because I'd win".
Seemingly few possess the intestinal fortitude in this political climate to run for office.

And when someone has a lifetime job, they cannot be stopped due to acts of apparent corruption, such as two certain members of the U.S. Supreme Court and their families:

So conservatives have attempted to make the word "woke" into some kind of evil thing. But they can't even define it; when you ask some politicians you get a bunch of word salad.

But "woke" is very real thing. Its about "political correctness", its about thought police and discrimination on false pretenses. Its newspeak of 1984. I have seen it close here in our university world. There is nothing in that I can promote. "Woke" is a religion. All this talk just makes kids soft snowflakes, that run for mummy (or "safe space") if someone says a bad word! That is completely ridiculous. The world is a rough place.

PS Hope the orange guy gets prosecuted. Good riddance.

Well, actually this is what "woke" really means:

Woke is an adjective derived from African-American Vernacular English (AAVE) meaning "alert to racial prejudice and discrimination".

Work, therefore, is one of the more distorted words out there.

And when you ask people like Florida's maniacal governor what the word means, you get endless word salad. They apparently don't know, or don't want you to know.

Back