• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Please - less adverts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless a product or service is an outright fraud, I will tolerate messages that are "out there." As I said, you can Fast Forward or just take what you hear with a grain of salt.

And, by the way, as a regular satellite radio listener, I do hear some of the very same ads on networks that don't fit into the "alternative" category. Just FYI.

As i said, i enjoy them, its like taking a mini holiday in a foreign country.

Anyone heard the Mysterious Universe podcast?

This is presented by two Australian guys and they offer 2 podcasts a week that run to between 1 and 2 hours. One of the podcasts is free, the other is for premium listeners and is charged at $9.99 per month both of which are available via iTunes. I read recently that they have over 5,400 subscribers.

I'm throwing this in here because I believe that the Paracast is good enough to attract subscribers.

How many people are downloading the Paracast?

I can't FF whilst driving my car.

We're certainly going to experiment with premium services, with special shows and other features, but we reach many times more than 5,000 people. :)

Also the listeners who don't have lots of disposable income would be short-changed if we forced them to pay for the show. Remember, we lose our iTunes acces, which is a major source of listeners, not to mention our network distribution.

We haven't changed the format since Day One. Only personnel have changed. Having a networked show doesn't mean a format change. Adding some more commercial breaks doesn 't mean a format change. Let's end that silliness, Ok?

lol, fine Gene. I won't bust your balls anymore. But you went from an hour and a half show to a 2 hour show to syndication which is now at about 2:40. And you're telling me you haven't changed formats?? Seems like it has changed to me over the course of a few years.

What I'm asking is this: has anything changed concerning the amount of commercial time from the time you were syndicated??

Gene Steinberg said "Since you haven't heard the show in six months, I can't accept your comments as representative of what we do now. "

The above quote indicates you have changed something in the last 6 months. What is it that you have changed??

lol, fine Gene. I won't bust your balls anymore. But you went from an hour and a half show to a 2 hour show to syndication which is now at about 2:40. And you're telling me you haven't changed formats?? Seems like it has changed to me over the course of a few years.

What I'm asking is this: has anything changed concerning the amount of commercial time from the time you were syndicated??

Gene Steinberg said "Since you haven't heard the show in six months, I can't accept your comments as representative of what we do now. "

The above quote indicates you have changed something in the last 6 months. What is it that you have changed??

The format doesn't mean how long the show lasts. It means our approach, and the way interviews are conducted. That has not changed, despite the alterations in co-host lineup.

Actually, we had a two hour show with 12-15 minutes of breaks. Now we have a three hour show, of which two hours, 37 minutes is recorded, and it has 37 minutes of ads. So we are actually delivering 12-15 minutes additional content per episode, in exchange for a little over twice as many ads. It's not a bad tradeoff.

It took time for co-hosts to become comfortable in the new environment. Listen please.

The foreign country depicted in the ads is not the U.S. either. Unfortunately, the network depends on programs like Alex Jones that are skewed, crazy, and fiercely stupid. And the advertisers peddle products directly to people like that. In no way does what you hear represent what regular people here think or want. It's a funhouse mirror.

Absolutely, people are people. It's still a bit shocking to hear what US advertising regulators will let companies say to extract dollars from the 'vulnerable' though; but maybe there's the difference, Europe's capitalism is a little less ferocious.

American capitalism is like a rabid animal.
It will eat anything in it's path, and then defecate all over the place.

Having the commercials does *suck* but it is the price you pay if your on air.

I'm sure not many here are sending Gene money. :( So, until you can support Gene & Chris's food and shelter and health habit (crazy I know). They have to look out for themselves, and they are making it free to us at a small inconvenience of fast-forward on your i-tunes. Really, their accomplishments should be applauded. I know this sounds like a complete suck-up.... and, it is. But they are working towards something. They are producing a product. They are putting their-selves out there in a very contentious field.

I'm sure as heck not going to do it, are you?

I can't fast forward either but occasionally get a chuckle at the expense of some of the nutters who end up advertising.

It's a great podcast guys by the way and I totally understand that the commercials are necessary.

They're good for a laugh (people are so loopy) if nothing else.

I actually enjoy the adverts, I'm based in the U.K. it gives me time to have a drink or go to the toilet, also I find Ted Anderson amazing he needs a medal I have no clue what Gold Ira's are but he sounds like hes holding his nose, i always try to think what he may look like.. name che as well thats prob spelt wrong the woman sounds really hot! E foods makes me think of food so that makes me go and make some! its all win! i love the adverts! and attack of the rockoids! I read the first chapter and was really impressed i dont really read books.. and i need to buy it! so Gene keep them coming son! :)

I actually enjoy the adverts, I'm based in the U.K. it gives me time to have a drink or go to the toilet, also I find Ted Anderson amazing he needs a medal I have no clue what Gold Ira's are but he sounds like hes holding his nose, i always try to think what he may look like.. name che as well thats prob spelt wrong the woman sounds really hot! E foods makes me think of food so that makes me go and make some! its all win! i love the adverts! and attack of the rockoids! I read the first chapter and was really impressed i dont really read books.. and i need to buy it! so Gene keep them coming son! :)

You've inspired me! I shall listen next time with new ears : )

Apparently the advertisers are gearing up for an atomic holocaust or a Mad Max scenario, I can live with both (I hope...). But seriously, the adverts don't bother me at all anymore, at first it sure was a change, but by now..the show is still good

Many of the ads are garbage, but Gene has little choice in the matter. The ads that Gene does choose are not terrible. I remember when E-Foods was an advertiser and we complained. They were gone after a bit. E-Foods is a truly terrible company. They play on the ignorance of people, as do many of the othe ads on the GSN.

Are you guys kidding, I think there should be a podcast entirely dedicated to the ultra right wing, paranoid, end of days listener! These ads, and millions more like them could stand on their own and draw a huge following of fascist, paranoid, Mad Max wannabe's.

Consider them as the "trickster" come to life and made available, to you, for a mere pittance. Enjoy them! Revel, nay wallow, in their unbelievable irrelevancy...consider them as part of the experience.

Clap-trap is your friend! Buy some now, for the Sarah Palin in your life.

Ted Anderson's ads are on more "traditional" networks too. He's also the CEO of GCN, by the way.

I actually enjoy the adverts, I'm based in the U.K. it gives me time to have a drink or go to the toilet, also I find Ted Anderson amazing he needs a medal I have no clue what Gold Ira's are but he sounds like hes holding his nose, i always try to think what he may look like.. name che as well thats prob spelt wrong the woman sounds really hot! E foods makes me think of food so that makes me go and make some! its all win! i love the adverts! and attack of the rockoids! I read the first chapter and was really impressed i dont really read books.. and i need to buy it! so Gene keep them coming son!

I love your attitude! Unfortunately living in a fringe-filled America taking over, I cringe a little at the holocaust setting these ads set up. (thank god for fast forward) It seems to be something a good percentage of American's actually want to create an apocalypse..... we are a crazy bunch...

Ted Anderson's ads are on more "traditional" networks too. He's also the CEO of GCN, by the way.

I hope he stays forever :D I never want to find out what he looks like though because it would ruin everything which I think he may look like, In my eyes He has a grey Tash swept back hair which is also grey and he enjoys jogging. please nobody ever spoil this for me! I wasnt being sarcastic either I actually do like the adverts... sometimes though the Paracast does scare me little the cast about the Jinn was amazing the other day Kudos Gene, I really enjoyed it.. :)

Hi Everyone,
I am new here, but I joined this forum about the ads in the show. Last night I settled down to listen to the latest episode but the frequency of ads made it impossible to actually relax and enjoy the show. I actually ended up timing the content vs ads, 10 minutes of content and then 5 minutes of ads. Just as one of the guests started getting into something really interesting they were cut off for an ad break. That must be so frustrating for a guest to keep a train of thought going over a 5 minute ad break. It certainly spoiled my enjoyment of the show. Suffice to say, I ended up turning it off.
Have you guys considered doing an ad free show and then a members extension show? Seriously, I can't enjoy your show while I am hitting fast forward every 10 minutes and trying to find the next morsel of content. Such a shame because you have a great show.

Roo

Hi Everyone,
I am new here, but I joined this forum about the ads in the show. Last night I settled down to listen to the latest episode but the frequency of ads made it impossible to actually relax and enjoy the show. I actually ended up timing the content vs ads, 10 minutes of content and then 5 minutes of ads. Just as one of the guests started getting into something really interesting they were cut off for an ad break. That must be so frustrating for a guest to keep a train of thought going over a 5 minute ad break. It certainly spoiled my enjoyment of the show. Suffice to say, I ended up turning it off.
Have you guys considered doing an ad free show and then a members extension show? Seriously, I can't enjoy your show while I am hitting fast forward every 10 minutes and trying to find the next morsel of content. Such a shame because you have a great show.

Roo

As we've said, the number of commercials we run is NO DIFFERENT from any other networked radio show in the U.S. Our commercial content is about 24% of the total show, not five minutes worth between 9-11 minute segments.

As to guests, there is a break of about 5 seconds as we split the recording. Ads are done later.

If you do an ad-free show, who pays the bills? Frankly I wonder why some of you don't have a realistic idea of how this business works. Do you also complain about the thousands of other shows on commercial stations that are run just the same way The Paracast is run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back