• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Please - less adverts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Gene,
I know this must be frustrating for you, I do understand, but people are here on this forum because they actually care about your show.
Just to clarify a few points, I actually do have an idea how the business works. I do not listen to commercial radio at all. I also understand how expensive running a show like this is.
This is what I suggest for what it's worth. Have 2 versions of The Paracast a free version with all ads in place and a subscriber version with no ads and maybe even a special members only extension of the episode. That way you will not lose any listeners who cannot afford to pay and you will also cater for those who can pay (like myself) and listen to your show while driving (and cant FF) or just relaxing. If you have well over 5000 listeners, you should be able to make this work without losing anyone. You do have a great show.

This is frustrating because I have to say the same thing over and over again.

But I'll repeat what I posted earlier in this thread. We have a contract with our network, which requires us to run their spots unedited. We are not paid for them, only the ads we put in ourselves, of which we get three minutes per hour. That's also a standard deal. Some of the network ads are placeholders for ones inserted by local stations, but you get the picture.

We cannot just post a paid version without ads. There's no way to do that, because it would go against our network deal. It is the price you pay for free radio. But it also means we can reach well over 100,000 listeners now, and more in the future, not just 5,000.

But I've said that before too. :)

I can't really imagine how frustrating it gets to answer this question constantly. Maybe it would help if you guys had a note at the top of the forum page or something?

I think the problem is that the subject matter is really interesting to most of us and we are constantly waiting anxiously for some exciting new information. There is really never a good time for a commercial break; it always leaves you on the edge of your seat. If they were talking about fixing cars I bet it would feel a lot different.

My response is this: Nothing that we are doing is any different in terms of commercial breaks from what radio stations have done for decades with their programming. I don't see why it is an issue that's worth an FAQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back