• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Paola Harris

You have misunderstood me. I do not have a particular view that I am defending. I certainly didn't understand anything that Paola was saying enough to claim it was anything but rubbish. My only point was that the issue is more complicated than the analogy you used. If the analogy isn't completely wrong, it is very misleading.

I do understand that there are disagreements in science. In fact that is exactly the point I was trying to make. I take no sides. I'm certainly not attempting to support any particular belief system. I'm not the one claiming the opponent view is cherry picking and misrepresenting. That was you. The links I posted aren't just an article explaining a particular view. They also go into specific scientific experiments that have been done to attempt to support an "anti-billiard ball" view.

I agree with you that anytime you step outside of math when describing this theory things get very vague and "flawed". But that fact is certainly not implied in your first post as you attempt to sway people to your point of view.

That is a very difficult set of questions to answer. I'm now at a dilemma as to what to do, I held off joining this forum for a long time as I just didn't want to get involved in the paranormal, I'm sorry but it can be really damaging to your reputation.

Dont mention your name. Problem solved.

I think it sucks that the paranormal is so taboo in academia while our major religions are mostly based on paranormal events that according to unreliable sources happened over a thousands years ago and yet are still completely accepted if not pushed on people. Meanwhile something like Arigo treating and curing a million people in the 1960's with seemingly boat loads of documentation is taboo?

I think a lot of this can be attributed to the power of marketing, political agendas, and the human need to be accepted. I'd like to think if I was a scientist at a university I would have the courage and naïveté to try and study this stuff, but at the end of the day we all live in the material world and have to make a living somehow. i don't think publishing scientific studies on things like UFO trace cases, no matter how ground breaking, is gonna help anyone get tenure, and this is very disappointing.

Rather than argue quantum physics (which is kind of fun to read--I enjoyed your posts), I think it's better to take away that the New Age movement has co-opted the quantum term and using it stupidly in all their various forms of "quantum" mysticism.

I watched What the Bleep and the Secret too, and their attempt to borrow validity by referencing science and scientists out of context was... unfortunate. Visit a New Age shop, and you can see lots of books now with Quantum in their titles or the claims made on their covers. "New Science" is also a code-word for this kind of soft science.

I doubt Harris knew what superposition or entanglement is before the interview (she may now), and those are what her arguments are based on.

I finished listening to the whole show today.

Wow.

It was interesting to listen to someone who is not informed to be so easily shown for being a fraud. It was kind of uncomfortable because I think she figured it out rather quickly that she was not held in a favorable opinion of her work.

I feel bad for her because she is probably a nice person who is interested in the topic of the paranormal. If anything maybe this will give her some much needed reality to what she thought she knows about various paranormal subjects. Hopefully it helps because some people need a reality check.

I finished listening to the whole show today.

Wow.

It was interesting to listen to someone who is not informed to be so easily shown for being a fraud. It was kind of uncomfortable because I think she figured it out rather quickly that she was not held in a favorable opinion of her work.

I feel bad for her because she is probably a nice person who is interested in the topic of the paranormal. If anything maybe this will give her some much needed reality to what she thought she knows about various paranormal subjects. Hopefully it helps because some people need a reality check.
I would think she's just gullible, but she also earns money from spreading crap, so there's more to it than that. And her excuses lead me to believe there's some deliberation on her part, though she's not sophisticated in any way.

Yeah its tough - as much as I enjoy seeing someone put in their place, I always feel a little uncomfortable when that person is ignorant to the whole thing.

In Horns case it just pure entertainment and I didnt feel for him at all. But for people like Paola and the previous weeks guest it can sometimes be hard as I feel for them and that feeling is not comfortable at all.

It has to be done though.

I would think she's just gullible, but she also earns money from spreading crap, so there's more to it than that. And her excuses lead me to believe there's some deliberation on her part, though she's not sophisticated in any way.

I understand. I thought the approach was needed and I enjoyed the show because it really did show someone "unmatched" get shown they don't fully know what they are speaking about.

I still felt bad for her. Call it pitty I guess. You are right that she does make money of it and is at best "lacking" in research or a snake oil saleswoman. I don't know much about her other then this interview so I can't say she is this or that. I did feel bad for her because I don't fully know her and she may not be a bad person. She supports crap from the little I know so I think the methods were reasonable to the interview though.

Ouch! After listening to the show even MY ass hurts.

The woman is delusional. She is so infatuated with her own intuition and her ability to ask questions that "no one has ever asked before" that she believes this constitutes validation of witness testimony. Well, Stephen Colbert asks the most ridiculous questions that no one has ever asked of our congressmen but at least I enjoy listening to him.

The best thing about the Paracast is the hosts don't claim to have the answers and they are not afraid to call out bullshiters either.

I enjoyed the show and wanted to say thank you for it. You two did what you do best and asked the tough questions and exposed her for what she is.

I, too, just finished listening to this episode.

Wow. Just wow.

I don't think she had a rational answer to a single question. This isn't really what passes for a "journalist" these days, is it? It must be nice being able to determine the truth of any matter just by being in the presence of the one claiming it.

Considering what they were working with, our genial hosts did a fine job, and displayed almost Homeric levels of self control. Her tripe was so ridiculous that I laughed out loud several times during the show.

Not the most informative episode, but thanks for the show anyway.
I really enjoyed it.

It's incredibly difficult to summarize years worth of academic study and research and present it in a simple understandable manner through a forum post. I agree with Particle Physicist, it is indeed hard work to "do the math", keep researching and investigating. It is not for the weak hearted or lazy and believe me, I know the frustration that often results from these endeavors. That's why people like Paola Harris find their way in these circles...they are indeed snake oil salespeople, story tellers creating myths; taking one observation, one conversation, one meeting with someone who has done some work, one fact and they twist a tale into creation that people who are gullible and/or lazy to do their homework are willing to swallow. If they say it enough times, they think it gains veracity and they fool themselves into believing they know the truth - because they are scared of not knowing, but too lazy to work to find out. Paola said it herself about "quantum cosmology": "it has to be simple". Well, all of us aren't simple and I resent individuals such as Paola Harris and others who set themselves up as experts in the field. They are unequivocably "pissing in the pool" that the rest of us swim and work in to discover real truths. Thank you David and Gene for exposing Paola and the pile of unintelligle crap that she spews...and hey Paola, get the hell out of the water!

Wow.

That was painful. Listening to her worm and twist and chrun and beg was just embarrassing. Excellent job exposing her for what she is guys. Keep up the good work. :)

I think the show can be summed up with something along the lines of "Don't Bring A Knife To A Gun Fight"

Thanks for another week of a great show.

:D

I have to disagee with David, about this episode. Many of us enjoy episodes like this. Gene & David gave Payola for my courses Harris plenty of rope to hang herself. Payola was totally discredited as a journalist, educator, and rational thinker. Excellent episode. Payola for my courses Harris is a great example of everything that is wrong with many people in the field, as David said.

Here the scenario I see happening with a UFO Think Tank.

Think of all the people in this field. Who gets in, who is shunned. The person shunned will scream disinfo and scream from the rooftops that its bogus.

Also, anyone remember that episode of The Simpson's where grampa's hair tonic makes all of the Simpsons Adults engage in lots of sexy time?

Remember all of the kids in the treehouse trying to put the pieces together and each had to have a little of their theories included before they reached a consensus?

If not look it up on the net and you'll see what I mean

Thats what we would get with a UFO think tank. a bunch of information that will come together into one incoherent mess. Kind of like this post.

Also, anyone remember that episode of The Simpson's where grampa's hair tonic makes all of the Simpsons Adults engage in lots of sexy time?

That's a great simpsons episode!

"We're through the looking glass here, people..." -Milhouse

I have to disagee with David, about this episode. Many of us enjoy episodes like this. Gene & David gave Payola for my courses Harris plenty of rope to hang herself. Payola was totally discredited as a journalist, educator, and rational thinker. Excellent episode. Payola for my courses Harris is a great example of everything that is wrong with many people in the field, as David said.

I agree with you. I was surprised to see David's negative comments on this show. A gem it was not, but listening to it, I was reminded of one of the great strengths of the PC. The PC shakes out the "less-than-worthy individuals" in the field, and for that it deserves huge praise. Frankly, it's not an easy task, but David and Gene seem to do it with ease. There's a definite role for the PC as a "no-bullshit" zone.

Noto Bene: If you are full of shit, the Paracast will expose you.

Cheers.

Back