• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Paola Harris

Every time I hear the word Quantum in relation to the Paranormal, I get a bout of depression. Specifically, I find the statement along the lines of "we create the world by our observation, ergo anything I imagine can be real". In very simple terms I'll explain where this comes from.

I want to measure the speed and direction of an electron, to do this I shine a light at the electron so I can see it. Light is made of photons, a photon must hit the electron so I can measure it, by hitting the electron with a photon I cause it to change it's direction. Imagine two pool balls colliding, obviously this will affect the speed and direction of the balls. In a nutshell this is why we say an observer can affect the outcome of an experiment. Easy concept but so many people who use the "if I look at it, I change it" line to justify their own wacky beliefs, don't know this.

OK, that is a very simple version and I do have to add that Quantum Theory is strange, there are other oddities much weirder than the above where measurements can affect Quantum entangled particles. However, what I want to say to the woo woo crowd is; please don't use Quantum Theory to justify claims without knowing anything about Quantum Theory.

You are far better off making something up or using Orgone Energy than the best tested theory in the history of Science, which is exactly what Quantum Theory is. I really think these people project the fact that as they do not understand any Physics, no one else does either.

Also, Paola Harris is the Sarah Palin of Ufology.

^^^ I thought there was actually some experiments done that would yield different results based on whether or not they were observed? But not the photon example you used above?

I could be wrong about that.

^^^ I thought there was actually some experiments done that would yield different results based on whether or not they were observed? But not the photon example you used above?

I could be wrong about that.

How would you get the results of an unobserved experiment?

EDIT: I hope that doesn't sound factious. There is a lot to this but I am unsure on how far to go without getting technical. What I described above is basically the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

There are also other parts of Quantum Theory that the Woo Woo artists invoke that revolves around what is called the measurement problem and regards wavefunction collapse. Schrodinger equation allows us to see how a Quantum system changes with time, if we measure a part of that system, the wavefunction that Schrodinger equation works on collapses and we can no longer be certain about the system but can only work with probabilities. A famous thought experiment that highlights this is Schrodinger's cat. I'd also note that even with Quantum Theory, there are differing thoughts about this, the mystics use the Copenhagen Interpretation where as things exist in a flux state until measured. Other interpretations state that the universe splits with all probabilities happening in different ones, called the many worlds theory, there are other ideas as well.

[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE]

How would you get the results of an unobserved experiment?

Maybe youre watching a some sort of chemical reaction. The results are what remains or something, so watching the actual reaction isnt necessary.

Really shitty example I know, but thats all I got. Im not a scientist. Like I said I could be wrong about my assumptions to do with the quantum observation myth.

Paola is at her double talking best I noticed. She didn't disappoint.

I'm enjoying the show so far (around halfway through). In a similar way I enjoyed the Horn show.

Imo, it wasn't a waste of a show. I'm glad it's out there for people to listen to.

We recorded half the show yesterday, half today, and it's a stinkbomb, perhaps our worst single episode yet. I apologize ahead of time, but damn, what a waste of time. Y'all can skip it, you'll be missing exactly nothing.

I didn't feel it was that bad, I really didn't ... in that it was very demonstrative of what this exopolitics b.s. is all about.

Is this woman, congenitally or something, incapable of saying the phrase "I don't actually know" ?

God.

It was disappointing if I was looking for really new/useful research, but yeah, if I didn't already know that this exopolitics was a bunch of unfounded hooey, I know it now.

I should add, David, that some time ago I asked here about "What's really wrong with the ETH?" and you, Jeff, and company chimed in (most affably, I should emphasize) on that question. Well, it's been months and months, and the more Paracast I listen to and the more thinking I do on the subject, the less and less I like the ETH. Call me a bandwagon-jumper if you like. :)

Cheers,
--Shawn

Man, I forgot just how BAD this interview was...

Can you believe this shit? Dolan's essential book is too complicated for her class. OMG! Her definition of "quantum cosmology" is fucking laughable. Can you imagine paying money to listen to this person "teach"?

I just hit that bit. I'm a science major. I got an A in undergrad quantum physics.

The casual misuse of "quantum" drives me up a wall. And when she started talking about "cosmology" as our relationship to the universe, I was like "dammit, lady, I'm taking a course in general relativity right now, busting my balls to try and handle differential geometry, and suddenly cosmology is about how I feel about the universe? Boy, am I wasting my time ..."

What a crock. But again, thanks for the exposé. You talked to this woman so we didn't have to.

--Shawn

Well i must say i quiet enjoyed that show. Little knowledge gained however "but the fun factor was a joy, i laughed at many stages of the interview.

Hynek telling Paola, all storys should be believed, withount any rational thought worried me.What the hell was Hynek all about?. You have to analyse and question ufo story's, it is called intellectual thinking!

The Corso story is getting weirder and weirder!
I Believe the Corso story is almost irrelevant at this stage. I believe this case is dead in the water.The real story died with Corso!

Like i siad before, this women is easily lead, and has no rational thought,
I can understand, why David got so mad. She even got my blood boiling with here nonsense towards the end. A expert is an expert, even do many experts can be wrong, David is no fool of an expert, stupid women.

Billy the Goat Meier LOL... her defense of him is unbelievable.
Steven the baby greer LOL... her defense of him is unbelievable.

Clifford Stoner Stone " a little too much "grass" smoked during the Vietnam war.
Dr Wolf i listened to his interview on utube about nine months ago. Complete rubbish.
1... He siad Dolphins in our seas are relatives to a species outside our solar system, BullS...
2..He siad he travelled to a different planet on a secret Nasa covert program,BullS...

There is many more Dr wolf talked about on that interview.... check it out on utube!
Paola i hope you never become my teacher..... you suffer from extreme "Brainfarting"

Goodie. At the BM part, just past Cliff Stone.

I wish I could be a human lie detector like Paola thinks she is. She reminds me of LMH. Perceived sincerity is enough evidence. No need to examine things further. She doesn't care much about documents or negatives. She sat there with the person making the claim and read their body language.

Hynek telling Paola, all storys should be believed, withount any rational thought worried me.What the hell was Hynek all about?.

Hynek told her to listen not believe.

A commonly used method in interviewing witnesses is to have them tell the story without interruption the first time around.

As for exopolitics. Isn't Richard Dolan a member, or supportive of the organization she's a part of?

^^ Yet she has no problems with Clifford Stone - a man who just about everyone else with any real intelligence dismisses as a kook.

Hynek told her to listen not believe.

A commonly used method in interviewing witnesses is to have them tell the story without interruption the first time around.

Well it depends how you look at it?. I think Hynek views influenced Paola!
So i guess the interview here explains alot!

As for CLifford Stone;

Cliff has got info from the gov. using the freedom of info. act. When asked about the evidence she's seen, she seemed to refer to this lol. Or did I misunderstand? Guess Stanton Friedman is on the inside too.

Cliff was widely respected and fronted some earlier FOIAs if I remember correctly. This means nothing in terms to his et related claims and working for the gov.

Too bad Project Cameltoe and Burisch wasn't talked about. Only so many minutes in the hour or two, I understand. That would have been a doozie I'm sure. Oh, and Wolf, though he was at least mentioned.

I listened to the whole thing as of now, and my opinion is still the same. I'm glad the show was uploaded and enjoyed it.

I'm a science major. I got an A in undergrad quantum physics.

The casual misuse of "quantum" drives me up a wall.

I have a Phd, how do you think I feel. I'm not sure how widely the term is known but "Quantum Mysticism" is sometimes used to refer to this misuse of Quantum Theory. Personally, I feel it is actually damaging the serious work in the field and creating links with Woo Woo helps to generate taboo fields of research in science. For example obviously there is something to the UFO phenomena however, try getting grant money to seriously study it; this is because it is not viewed as a serious subject. Not all but, a large part of this ridicule is because of people involved in the field.

I have an interest in consciousness, specifically is it solely a function of the brain? Getting taken seriously with this is getting much harder and now the titles of published papers are getting more and more hidden in scientific language so only those in the know understand the true nature of the paper.

"Brain Toniq, the clean and intelligent think drink, the smart antidote to HEAD FOG."

Has the Paracast's ad break ever felt more relevant?

Oh brother...

I got another hour left but I am enjoying how Paola is being taken to school, the school of Gene and Dave!

Given the nature of this fringe field, the exo-politics peeps seem to make some of the most noise, so I think this episode serves a purpose in showing how ridiculous it is.

I bet (I'm totally speculating here) the only reason the exopolitics stuff exists is because Michael Salla after getting booted from George Washington's University PolySci school wanted to get involved in the UFO movement somehow and so he made the completely speculative illogical leap of trying to combine his expertise with a field he felt passionate about and thus created this space. He then likely recruited other gullible people in the space who are pseudo UFO experts (a field in which this is not possible!) and this begot the exopolitics institute.

Back