• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Ok you Mozilla users. Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rick Deckard said:
Hey, will I have to pay a carbon-offset tax everytime I open a bottle of fizzy drink? After all, a certain amount of CO2 is released into the atmosphere which we all *know* is causing Global Warming...

...not. :D

Don't get me started about that carbon offset stuff :)

Casual Paracast Listener said:
The old die hard apple vs. oranges

I understand very well why the MAC sayers get passionate about the Apple product which due to its religious attention to detail & continuousness of innovation had created a well deserved fan cult status while on the other hand all that Microsoft had done was to trick people into using their product and sticking with it afterwards through their marketing schemes.

Riiiiiight. Well, I would agree with the 'cult' status of the Mac people. The Apple marketers have completely sold the Mac crowd on the idea that they'll be part of an uber-elite bohemian crowd if they only buy a Mac and swear fealty to the company. I've never seen so many people rabidly supporting a piece of equipment that fills a niche market. "Just remember that the vast majority of PC users, corporations, small businesses, and college campuses are filled with poor, stupid, dopes that can't appreciate the uberness of the superior Mac system." :rolleyes:

Market share does not reflect quality. "I want to say something very stupid here" Oh here it comes: It reflects Market share.

There are a lot of people making a lot of money because they are able to see much more than that in market share.

I think that in a perfect world Windows would be non existent and good guys would make it to the finish line first.

Seems a little fanatical. I don't hate Macs. I wouldn't want to see them abolished from earth. I really dig my iPod . . . I listen to the Paracast on it.

By the way iLove apple/mac but i use windows, What can i say i am so inMatrix!

What? You use that inferior operating system??? Why would you do such a thing when Mac is obviously superior for reasons that no one else seems to care about either? :D

It seems that mankind has this tendency to convert just for the sake of converting...

Apple wishes that were the case. Decades drag by and their 'superior' product fails year after year to convert significant amounts of Windows users.

-DBTrek

Gene Steinberg said:
That and deceptive bait and switch marketing.

One of the few things that I have read about Bill is that his success was largely due to offering free programs as a way of advertising is pay products. Given your remark, I'm guessing he ended up charging for his free stuff?

Casual Paracast Listener said:
Regarding the main subject of the thread:

I recommend to you the usage of Mozilla Firefox with NoScript extension from NoScript - JavaScript/Java/Flash blocker for a safer Firefox experience! - what is it? - InformAction

For day to day use i allow scripts globally and when ever i am going to surf known problematic web sites i forbid scripts globally.

Also there are a plethora of settings from within the Mozilla Firefox settings panel that will enhance the default security of the browser with out using any external aid. Yet using NoScript extension is advisable for even more security.

Also from the same developer there is another great extension called FlashGot which adds download manager integration for applications such as Free Download Manager, You can get FlashGot from FlashGot - Best Firefox Download Manager Integration - what is it? - InformAction and FDM from Free Download Manager - absolutely free download accelerator and manager

Regarding the off-topic subject:

I have to say that i was surprised form the harbored notion by some that MS-WIN is superior to a Apple-MAC...

Anyway have a nice day all and get Mozilla Firefox from Choose the independent browser

Thank you. I'll check them out.

Many of you probably already know about this program, but for those who don't, there's a cool program that helps identify (rather quickly) hijacking adware etc. called "hijackthis". If you have problems with being hijacked ever, check the program out. Spyware Info | Spyware Info

Funny. I've created a lot of threads here, and I think this one has the most activity I've seen (from threads I've started). Who'da thunk it at a paranormal site!?

i used a Mac (not a MAC) before it was ubercool. i cannot think of a reason in the world to use a peecee OR a microsoft product.

pixelsmith said:
i used a Mac (not a MAC) before it was ubercool.

That's the only time you could have bought one . .. since they've never been ubercool. It's all a marketing scheme Apple uses to dupe people in to buying their computers. As you've demonstrated, they take people with inferiority complexes and convince them that they'll be part of the edgy, artsy, elite MacIntosh 'crowd' if they cough up some money to Apple. It's kinda like Scientology.

Of course, once people buy these Macs they realize how limitied their software choices are, how their OS is like a straight-jacket that has sacrificed versatility in order to be idiot proof, they see how Apple *knows* that their customers are not really cut out to handle anything more challenging than a one-button mouse . . . and they start to question if they really are part of an elite, edge, underground computer clique. They may even begin to feel like they've been duped by a slick marketing campaign that the vast majority of PC users were able to see through.

As this realization begins to dawn on them an anger builds up in their souls. Rather than directing this anger at the evil company that preyed on their insecurities to make a quick buck they instead turn their hatred towards those who were smart enough to stay out of the MacIntosh marketing trap. Unable to admit their mistake they lash out at the rest of the PC using world.

"They're all idiots!" screams the heartbroken Mac user.

"They're stupid! I'm smart! There is no reason in the world to use a PC or Windows! What's wrong with planet Earth? Why is everybody but me an idiot???"
they cry.

Defeated, they retreat back to their basements and sit in front of their gimp machines.

"I know what I'll do" they think, "This Mac can't do much, but it CAN log on to the internet. I'll band together with the other dupes . . . I mean ubercooleilite-Mac'ites and we'll tell those PC users just how stupid they all are! We'll scream at them till we're red in the face, tell them we're obviously superior to them because of the computer we use, and that will make them want to buy a Mac too! Once they all buy Macs it will prove I'm smart . . . edgy . . . elite . . . not just some poor schmuck that's lining Steve Jobs pocket so he can illegally exercise stock options and rip me off!"

Hahahahah

That's all directed at Pixelsmith by the way. It seems to be the only level of discourse he's interested in engaging in.

I don't hate Macs. Most PC users I know don't hate Macs. We're a little confused by the cult-like, bug-eyed, frothing hatred Mac users spew at us for not buying the hardware they bought, but what can you do? Some people have an urge to feel superior to all others for whatever reason, and Mac has learned to capitalize on these folks.

And yes, I've used Macs. I've done desktop support for Macs (oh yes, they do need it). The years I spent as a videographer I edited video on Macs (though I preferred using the PC most of the time). I've even done software testing for Microsoft on Macs. They're ok. I failed to notice their 'obvious' superiority, but perhaps I wasn't using them in one of the niche markets where they excel.

-DBTrek

wow. i have never met a peecee user as ignorant as you DBTrek.

you really dont know jack about Macs. one button mouse? i havent use one of those in years. i have a logitech mk laser AND a wacom intuos 2 both hooked to my mac. both are multi button cordless mice.

limited software? i have well over 30 grand in software. i cant think of any limitations there.

gimp machine? a dual 2.5 mhz liquid cooled beast with 256 mb video, 8 gigs ram and over a terrabyte of storage... ya a real gimp that runs a superior OS of its own as well as your crappy choice of OS, and the Mac can run both at the same time.

the main reason Mac people like to offer an alternate computing solution is so we dont have to help peecee users fix their junk all the time.

using a peecee is like driving a car with 4 flat tires. you can do it, but why?

DBTrek said:
That's the only time you could have bought one . .. since they've never been ubercool. It's all a marketing scheme Apple uses to dupe people in to buying their computers. As you've demonstrated, they take people with inferiority complexes and convince them that they'll be part of the edgy, artsy, elite MacIntosh 'crowd' if they cough up some money to Apple. It's kinda like Scientology.

Of course, once people buy these Macs they realize how limitied their software choices are, how their OS is like a straight-jacket that has sacrificed versatility in order to be idiot proof, they see how Apple *knows* that their customers are not really cut out to handle anything more challenging than a one-button mouse . . . and they start to question if they really are part of an elite, edge, underground computer clique. They may even begin to feel like they've been duped by a slick marketing campaign that the vast majority of PC users were able to see through.

As this realization begins to dawn on them an anger builds up in their souls. Rather than directing this anger at the evil company that preyed on their insecurities to make a quick buck they instead turn their hatred towards those who were smart enough to stay out of the MacIntosh marketing trap. Unable to admit their mistake they lash out at the rest of the PC using world.

"They're all idiots!" screams the heartbroken Mac user.

"They're stupid! I'm smart! There is no reason in the world to use a PC or Windows! What's wrong with planet Earth? Why is everybody but me an idiot???"
they cry.

Defeated, they retreat back to their basements and sit in front of their gimp machines.

"I know what I'll do" they think, "This Mac can't do much, but it CAN log on to the internet. I'll band together with the other dupes . . . I mean ubercooleilite-Mac'ites and we'll tell those PC users just how stupid they all are! We'll scream at them till we're red in the face, tell them we're obviously superior to them because of the computer we use, and that will make them want to buy a Mac too! Once they all buy Macs it will prove I'm smart . . . edgy . . . elite . . . not just some poor schmuck that's lining Steve Jobs pocket so he can illegally exercise stock options and rip me off!"

Hahahahah

That's all directed at Pixelsmith by the way. It seems to be the only level of discourse he's interested in engaging in.

I don't hate Macs. Most PC users I know don't hate Macs. We're a little confused by the cult-like, bug-eyed, frothing hatred Mac users spew at us for not buying the hardware they bought, but what can you do? Some people have an urge to feel superior to all others for whatever reason, and Mac has learned to capitalize on these folks.

And yes, I've used Macs. I've done desktop support for Macs (oh yes, they do need it). The years I spent as a videographer I edited video on Macs (though I preferred using the PC most of the time). I've even done software testing for Microsoft on Macs. They're ok. I failed to notice their 'obvious' superiority, but perhaps I wasn't using them in one of the niche markets where they excel.

-DBTrek

The next time you have a Windows virus, let us know :rolleyes:

pixelsmith said:
wow. i have never met a peecee user as ignorant as you DBTrek.

O RLY???

WeLL Mac uSers ArE doo-doo headS! How YoU like thEm Apples!!!

hahah

Seriously, the animosity towards PC users from the Mac crowd is difficult for me to grasp. Why so mad? Why must you feel that your Mac is suprior to what the majority own? Why do all the PC users have to be 'idiots' in order for you to feel ok about your purchase of a Mac?

Macs are decent computers. If they do what you need them to do, I'm happy for you. The vast majority of people find that Windows is better at meeting their needs . . . and that's ok too.

-DBTrek

DBTrek said:
O RLY

WeLL Mac uSers ArE doo-doo headS! How YoU like thEm Apples!!!

hahah

Seriously, the animosity towards PC users from the Mac crowd is difficult for me to grasp. Why so mad? Why must you feel that your Mac is suprior to what the majority own? Why do all the PC users have to be 'idiots' in order for you to feel ok about your purchase of a Mac?

Macs are decent computers. If they do what you need them to do, I'm happy for you. The vast majority of people find that Windows is better at meeting their needs . . . and that's ok too.

-DBTrek

No, the fast majority of people never compared the two platforms. They simply use what their office uses or what their friends use. That is not making a preference based on what is better or worse. You are providing unproven information when you say otherwise.

Also, your claim about animosity is wrong, as is your statement that Mac users feel PC users are idiots. I suppose some might feel that way, but very, very few.

I think Mac users are, at times, sympathetic towards all the garbage PC users have to put up with to keep thems working.

OK, tell me how much money was lost in the last five years because of a Windows virus.

And now tell me how much money was lost as the result of a Mac virus.

And don't give me the safety through obscurity myth. With over 22 million users of Mac OS Tiger, and millions using Macs with older OS versions, the audience is certainly large enough to attract Internet criminals.

Gene Steinberg said:
No, the fast majority of people never compared the two platforms.

I believe you are right. I should have said 'The vast majority have decided that Windows meets their needs, and Apple has yet to put forth a compelling argument or demonstration to change their minds'.

Also, your claim about animosity is wrong, as is your statement that Mac users feel PC users are idiots. I suppose some might feel that way, but very, very few.

I am speaking of my personal experience. In my experience, Mac users (and Linux users) tend to have a real chip on their shoulders when it come to Windows users. The Slashdot forums are a good place to see evidence of what I'm talking about.

OK, tell me how much money was lost in the last five years because of a Windows virus.

Are such numbers even kept? To be fair, if we want to look at economic impact of the two different systems it's only reasonable to also compare how much global revenue was generated by Macs vs. PCs as well. I think we both can imagine how those numbers would look (though I doubt anyone keeps track of those figures either).

And don't give me the safety through obscurity myth. With over 22 million users of Mac OS Tiger, and millions using Macs with older OS versions, the audience is certainly large enough to attract Internet criminals.

I don't think the 'safety in obscurity' argument is an unfair one. Criminals like to take money. As I indicated above you're going to find more businesses, corporations, and end users on a Windows Platform. I think it makes much more sense for cyber criminals to focus their efforts on where the most capital can be stolen rather than trying to break the niche market systems in order to steal less capital. Afterall . . . if you're going to possibly be jailed anyway, why not make it worth the risk?

You are correct that Mac's have less viruses and security issues regardless of the underlying reasons. If that is the stick by which we measure superiority I would have to concur that Macs are safer.

-DBTrek

you can always tell a peecee user, but you cant tell him much.

DBTrek said:
I believe you are right. I should have said 'The vast majority have decided that Windows meets their needs, and Apple has yet to put forth a compelling argument or demonstration to change their minds'.

I am speaking of my personal experience. In my experience, Mac users (and Linux users) tend to have a real chip on their shoulders when it come to Windows users. The Slashdot forums are a good place to see evidence of what I'm talking about.

Are such numbers even kept? To be fair, if we want to look at economic impact of the two different systems it's only reasonable to also compare how much global revenue was generated by Macs vs. PCs as well. I think we both can imagine how those numbers would look (though I doubt anyone keeps track of those figures either).

I don't think the 'safety in obscurity' argument is an unfair one. Criminals like to take money. As I indicated above you're going to find more businesses, corporations, and end users on a Windows Platform. I think it makes much more sense for cyber criminals to focus their efforts on where the most capital can be stolen rather than trying to break the niche market systems in order to steal less capital. Afterall . . . if you're going to possibly be jailed anyway, why not make it worth the risk?

You are correct that Mac's have less viruses and security issues regardless of the underlying reasons. If that is the stick by which we measure superiority I would have to concur that Macs are safer.

-DBTrek

A few fast comments:

Consumer Reports magazine reported about a year ago that in the previous two years, nine billion dollars was lost as a result of malware. Since all that loss is on the Windows side, there's little further to discuss.

It's not a question of how much revenue the total user base of PCs has generated, based on operating system, but how much productivity is lost on an individual PC when it is infected by a virus.

interesting concept this "production on a pc" thing. i thought peecees were just for gaming and testing virus protection software...

It's not a question of how much revenue the total user base of PCs has generated, based on operating system, but how much productivity is lost on an individual PC when it is infected by a virus.

The obvious answer is "Not enough productivity is lost for a significant portion of the population to swith to Macs".

If Macs were in fact superior to PCs, and the loss of productivity were a real issue, we'd see Macs dominating the market. We both know Macs are no where near dominating the PC Market.

interesting concept this "production on a pc" thing. i thought peecees were just for gaming and testing virus protection software...

That's because marks . . . er . . . I mean people like you are too busy drinking the Mac kool-aid to think rationally about the computer using world. Steve Jobs has sold you the feel-good Mac package and is now being investigated for illegally exercising stock options for making a fast buck off ya'll. Meanwhile, Bill Gates was named Time Man of The Year for his philanthopy.

The slick Mac advertising has your head so backwards you believe the illegal stock trader to be the good guy, and the philanthropist to be the evil one. You believe the PC using universe is stupid, and the people that can only manage to handle the straight-jacket simpleton Mac OS are the geniuses.

Mac fanatics are like the pro-war NeoCons of the PC world . . . all their views are backwards, yet they're able to ignore the blatant evidence of their folly. Like Dick Cheney they decided long ago to stick to the party line regardless of the truth and repeat "Maaaac! Maaaaac! Maaaaaac!" like a herd of sheeple.

Maaaaac! Maaaaac! Maaaaac! PC Baaaaaad! PC BAAAAAAD! Maaaaaaac!

:D Right on! :D

Go Mac! King of the personal computing world!
(Except in sales, usage, third party support, and popular opinion)

-DBTrek

i have seen this behavior in peecee users many times before. it is usually after they come to the sad realization that Mac people are right.

see how he is going a little crazy? it is obvious he has done a little exploring on the apple site and is now getting very jealous.

DBTrek said:
The obvious answer is "Not enough productivity is lost for a significant portion of the population to swith to Macs".

If Macs were in fact superior to PCs, and the loss of productivity were a real issue, we'd see Macs dominating the market. We both know Macs are no where near dominating the PC Market.

That's because marks . . . er . . . I mean people like you are too busy drinking the Mac kool-aid to think rationally about the computer using world. Steve Jobs has sold you the feel-good Mac package and is now being investigated for illegally exercising stock options for making a fast buck off ya'll. Meanwhile, Bill Gates was named Time Man of The Year for his philanthopy.

The slick Mac advertising has your head so backwards you believe the illegal stock trader to be the good guy, and the philanthropist to be the evil one. You believe the PC using universe is stupid, and the people that can only manage to handle the straight-jacket simpleton Mac OS are the geniuses.

Mac fanatics are like the pro-war NeoCons of the PC world . . . all their views are backwards, yet they're able to ignore the blatant evidence of their folly. Like Dick Cheney they decided long ago to stick to the party line regardless of the truth and repeat "Maaaac! Maaaaac! Maaaaaac!" like a herd of sheeple.

Maaaaac! Maaaaac! Maaaaac! PC Baaaaaad! PC BAAAAAAD! Maaaaaaac!

:D Right on! :D

Go Mac! King of the personal computing world!
(Except in sales, usage, third party support, and popular opinion)

-DBTrek

Since you apparently don't have any facts to offer, let's just drop it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back