• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Ok you Mozilla users. Question.

Free episodes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
A.LeClair said:
When downloading certain zip files, it doesn't let me select where to put it. Only way to save it that I can figure out is to save it to my desktop. Is there a way to change where to put the zip file?

If you're using Firefox, go to ' Tools --> Options... ' and select the 'Main' tab in the pop-up. Under the 'Downloads' section check the 'Always ask me where to save files' radio button.

Whatever platform you've got, PC, MAC or Linux, you will come to apprecriate that overall, Firefox is a better browser than IE - you just need to get used to all the new options that are available. Firefox can do all the things that IE can do and a lot more besides.

BTW, Linux is the only 'altruistic' operating system - it's allowing 3rd world countries to develop their own IT industries for 'free' and is enabling their schools to give their kids a chance to learn IT skills.

A.LeClair said:
Noooooo!!!! That Zango crap has infected my Mozilla browser!!! God I hate them. I've done 5 scans with lavasoft's Ad-aware and it cleans out a lot of adware etc. but I keep getting more any time I surf a little while on the net. This sound like a virus to you all? AVG virus program I use has done all the good it can I think. Norton sucks. HP's virus scan does too. Last I tried a system restore it didn't work. I'll try it again and come back and gripe if it doesn't fix things.

If you're gonna use Firefox I recommend the 'NoScript' add-on which allows you to specify whether a website is allowed to run a script or not. You'll be surprised how many sites allow other companies to launch scripts from their page.

Here's the link for NoScript - NoScript Add-on

Rick Deckard said:
If you're gonna use Firefox I recommend the 'NoScript' add-on which allows you to specify whether a website is allowed to run a script or not. You'll be surprised how many sites allow other companies to launch scripts from their page.

Here's the link for NoScript - NoScript Add-on

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

IE is a pain to get rid of. Much of my problem is attached to that browser I think. The virus uses several vunerabilites in IE I read. Even when using Mozilla I get pop up spam in a IE window. So, I've been trying to get rid of my IE browser. I think I finally got rid of it.

I'm using Mozilla atm. Hopefully the aspects of it I hate, I can later figure out how to change. I do have a re occurring problem on not being able to download things for some reason. I think I had this problem before when trying Mozilla. So, it probably isn't virus related. Hopefully time will tell.

i love Macs. watching PC people continue to get burned reminds me of a time i went with a friend to do a repair job in a turkey barn. we about fell over laughing when we found what we were told to repair. there were these huge 5 foot diameter fans on each end of the barn. each fan had a crude shroud covering the blades. one fan had a small hole in the shroud the perfect size for a turkey head. one by one these turkeys were taking turns putting their head through the hole and either a) produced some nice shaved turkey head or b) got their head cut right off. now even tho all the other turkeys saw what was happening they thought there was some benefit in this popular activity. one by one they would walk up and stick their head in. it was gruesome and funny at the same time. i think we can see an underlying story here. so now whenever i hear someone like LeClair having problems i think of those turkeys. most PC people are like turkeys.
it really boils down to using the right tool for the job. some people really need a PC for the job. such as ahh... hmm. i guess i cant think of any reason to have a PC but there must be one...games? yes! games is a good one.

pixelsmith said:
i love Macs. watching PC people continue to get burned reminds me of a time i went with a friend to do a repair job in a turkey barn. we about fell over laughing when we found what we were told to repair. there were these huge 5 foot diameter fans on each end of the barn. each fan had a crude shroud covering the blades. one fan had a small hole in the shroud the perfect size for a turkey head. one by one these turkeys were taking turns putting their head through the hole and either a) produced some nice shaved turkey head or b) got their head cut right off. now even tho all the other turkeys saw what was happening they thought there was some benefit in this popular activity. one by one they would walk up and stick their head in. it was gruesome and funny at the same time. i think we can see an underlying story here. so now whenever i hear someone like LeClair having problems i think of those turkeys. most PC people are like turkeys.
it really boils down to using the right tool for the job. some people really need a PC for the job. such as ahh... hmm. i guess i cant think of any reason to have a PC but there must be one...games? yes! games is a good one.

Gobble gobble then. I'm a big gamer.

Actually I rarely have virus problems. When I do get them, they are doozees though. I suspect the more popular Macs get the more hackers, spam and other crap will fly you alls way. Thank us turkeys for taking the bullets for you.

A.LeClair said:
Gobble gobble then. I'm a big gamer.

Actually I rarely have virus problems. When I do get them, they are doozees though. I suspect the more popular Macs get the more hackers, spam and other crap will fly you alls way. Thank us turkeys for taking the bullets for you.

This safety through obscurity thing is as old as the hills and just not so. The way the Mac OS is designed -- and it's based on a Unix foundation that's been tried and tested for years -- makes it harder for malware to spread.

Right now, for example, there are other 20 million users of Mac OS X, not counting this year's sales figures or users of older Macs. Many of them are high-paid content creators and certainly ideal victims for malware. But all that's happened are proofs-of-concept or vulnerabilities revealed but soon fixed. They haven't been exploited.

The reason you Windows users take the turkeys is because of mistakes Microsoft made early in by failing to recognize these dangers, and now dealing with it using a patchwork of code that only makes the system more complicated and less stable. Well, Vista is decent, but it's still young and many virus writers hate Microsoft with a passion.

well said Gene. most of us Mac users speak from experience with windows based computers. after using a Mac for a few days or weeks (maybe minutes) you will see what we are talking about. the Mac OS disappears while using it instead of getting in the way. whenever i have to deal with a friends computer problem it is ALWAYS a PC. Mac users tend to troubleshoot difficulties easily. i have started telling PC friends that i know nothing about them, i dont see why i should let their computer problems frustrate me. lack of frustration is why i got a Mac in the first place.

the turkey story is remarkable similar to the whole windows problem. ask anyone why they got a PC and they will say my neighbor has one or i use one at work. they just follow the guy in front of them, like a turkey.

yes is was a very grotesque scene, there were about 75 dead turkeys and about 25 wounded. little did we know we were being covered in a very fine mist of blood the whole time. there was one very small group of turkeys opposite of the fan. i would say about 5 percent of them. ;)

watch out for the W32.Sober.AA@mm worm LeClair. it was re-released on sunday.

pixelsmith said:
there was one very small group of turkeys opposite of the fan. i would say about 5 percent of them. ;)

I wonder if those five percent were trying to convert the other 95% to not walk over to the fan? Were there any "switchers"?

yes, it appeared that some of the more intelligent turkeys that were slightly injured moved across the barn. some only needed to have a close call with the fan while others got injured yet for some reason kept sticking their head back into the fan blade. very interesting behaviour. it is as tho they enjoyed getting injured when all they had to do was walk across to the other side of the barn.

My Mozilla browser has been crashing a bit today. The restore session feature is pretty cool. I forgot about that.

It's funny, days ago, when trouble shooting all my probs, I DLed the new IE7 browser. Man, are they trying to be like Mozilla big time. A lot of the features Mo has, IE is copying. I don't think they copied the restore session thing though. Oh well.

A.LeClair said:
My Mozilla browser has been crashing a bit today. The restore session feature is pretty cool. I forgot about that.

It's funny, days ago, when trouble shooting all my probs, I DLed the new IE7 browser. Man, are they trying to be like Mozilla big time. A lot of the features Mo has, IE is copying. I don't think they copied the restore session thing though. Oh well.

I use Firefox (Mozilla without the email and other extras), and, on the Mac platform, a new version of Camino (a purer Mac browser with the same rendering engine as Firefox). I seldom have crashes, and the uptime of my computers (time between restarts or shutdowns) is usually days or weeks.

You really ought to switch to the Mac. Even if you have to use Windows software for which there's no Mac equivalent, there are ways to run Windows on today's Macs at stellar speeds.

watch out for the W32.Sober.AA@mm worm LeClair. it was re-released on sunday.

K, thanks. I've never found out what the difference is between viruses and worms. I need to read up on that.

I can't recall if I gave the details as to how I got the virus. If I have already, sorry. Anyway, the current virus I got was from a file I downloaded at another forum, I'm pretty sure. I was downloading what was supposed to be a text manual pdf, or Adobe Acrobat file.

As of today, I still get the occasional pop up window in a IE browser window, but now it's an error page. The ads aren't showing hahahahaha. God I hate spammers. I mean I really really hate them.

People that make viruses deserve a similar level of punishment that anyone else that does property damage would suffer. Viruses damage millions of pcs. Imagine taking a sledge hammer to a million cars. Wonder what the fine would be for that..

A.LeClair said:
K, thanks. I've never found out what the difference is between viruses and worms. I need to read up on that.

I can't recall if I gave the details as to how I got the virus. If I have already, sorry. Anyway, the current virus I got was from a file I downloaded at another forum, I'm pretty sure. I was downloading what was supposed to be a text manual pdf, or Adobe Acrobat file.

As of today, I still get the occasional pop up window in a IE browser window, but now it's an error page. The ads aren't showing hahahahaha. God I hate spammers. I mean I really really hate them.

People that make viruses deserve a similar level of punishment that anyone else that does property damage would suffer. Viruses damage millions of pcs. Imagine taking a sledge hammer to a million cars. Wonder what the fine would be for that..

The best way to avoid punishment from viruses is to dump Windows, folks :)

Gene Steinberg said:
The best way to avoid punishment from viruses is to dump Windows, folks :)

Another reason I got mine was that I had service pack 1 not 2 I'm told.

I was one that found all the updating annoying, so I rarely did it. Oh, plus, there's a virus that actually hinges on the update utility that I think I got once.

About every 3 years I get a bad virus. It's not common at all. With me at least.

Gene, you need Mac to be one of your sponsors. All the free promoting you do for them, tsk tsk.

A.LeClair said:
People that make viruses deserve a similar level of punishment that anyone else that does property damage would suffer.

You mean, companies that write shoddy operating systems that are inherently insecure...

Gene Steinberg said:
I use Firefox (Mozilla without the email and other extras), and, on the Mac platform, a new version of Camino (a purer Mac browser with the same rendering engine as Firefox). I seldom have crashes, and the uptime of my computers (time between restarts or shutdowns) is usually days or weeks.

You really ought to switch to the Mac. Even if you have to use Windows software for which there's no Mac equivalent, there are ways to run Windows on today's Macs at stellar speeds.

I haven't bought myself a puter in many years. I've been getting hand me downs from family and previous businesses I've been associated with. So, I can't complain. Well, I can rant about hackers etc. but I have no complaints about non Macs, especially when they have been free.

Rick Deckard said:
You mean, companies that write shoddy operating systems that are inherently insecure...

No, not what I mean at all. I hardly want to see a crappy door craftsman get punished over the robber that took advantage of the door.

In my case, the protection was there. I didn't use it. Lesson learned. For now at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back