• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Ok you Mozilla users. Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron LeClair

Paranormal Maven
The other day I had one of those lovely viruses that a virus scan company gives you in order to sell their product. You know the deal.... The auto mechanic that screws your engine up then charges you to fix it kinda thing. Major major pet peeve of mine btw. I was boiling mad for hours. Anyway, after around 15 hours I have a lot of the problem solved, but can't use IE unless I want spammed by pop ups. Adware removal hasn't solved it etc. So, I whipped out Mozilla and have some questions I couldn't find answers to in their help section.

When downloading certain zip files, it doesn't let me select where to put it. Only way to save it that I can figure out is to save it to my desktop. Is there a way to change where to put the zip file?

On my IE browser I could click on links that opened in a new windows with my pop up stopper on. With Mozilla I have to hit control in order for them or files to open up in new windows. There a way to make it more like IE?

Thanks for any help. I might have more questions later hehe. I was going to post over in the Tech Night owl forum but this one seems way more populated and I know there are many Mozilla users here.

Noooooo!!!! That Zango crap has infected my Mozilla browser!!! God I hate them. I've done 5 scans with lavasoft's Ad-aware and it cleans out a lot of adware etc. but I keep getting more any time I surf a little while on the net. This sound like a virus to you all? AVG virus program I use has done all the good it can I think. Norton sucks. HP's virus scan does too. Last I tried a system restore it didn't work. I'll try it again and come back and gripe if it doesn't fix things.

I could say "Get a Mac", then you could say "They are too expensive", then I could say "Get a cheap second hand machine for surfing and mail, but keep your PC for gaming", then you could say...

Or I could just keep my mouth shut! :)

musictomyears said:
I could say "Get a Mac", then you could say "They are too expensive", then I could say "Get a cheap second hand machine for surfing and mail, but keep your PC for gaming", then you could say...

Or I could just keep my mouth shut! :)

You can buy a Mac mini for $599, and get a complete product with lots and lots of bundled software. At the same time, you will be able to use the keyboard, mouse and monitor that came with your PC. If $599 is too rich for your blood, look for a refurbished model at save $75-$100.

No, Macs are NOT expensive.

Yes, you can buy a PC for $399, but it is a piece of garbage, and anything you really need will cost you extra.

Gene Steinberg said:
You can buy a Mac mini for $599, and get a complete product with lots and lots of bundled software. At the same time, you will be able to use the keyboard, mouse and monitor that came with your PC. If $599 is too rich for your blood, look for a refurbished model at save $75-$100.

No, Macs are NOT expensive.

Yes, you can buy a PC for $399, but it is a piece of garbage, and anything you really need will cost you extra.

Only Mac I can afford is a Big Mac.

Think I almost got the download manager thingy I was asking about figured out.

you flash your credit card?

get a mac. that will impress the ladies.

pixelsmith said:
you flash your credit card?

get a mac. that will impress the ladies.

Looks like I'm going to have to restore to factory settings. I had to do this just last week due to a seemingly un related problem.

Macs better at dealing with spyware and viruses? How about hackers?

A.LeClair said:
When downloading certain zip files, it doesn't let me select where to put it. Only way to save it that I can figure out is to save it to my desktop. Is there a way to change where to put the zip file?

Tools -> Options -> Downloads -> Sve all Files to this folder

On my IE browser I could click on links that opened in a new windows with my pop up stopper on. With Mozilla I have to hit control in order for them or files to open up in new windows. There a way to make it more like IE?

What are you trying to do here? What happens when you click on links now?

-DBTrek

pixelsmith said:
what spyware, what virus, what hacker?

If you are asking in relation to my above recent question, I mean just in general.

If you are asking what sort of hacking, viruses and ad ware I've recently had to deal with, probably every one in existence!

DBTrek said:
Tools -> Options -> Downloads -> Sve all Files to this folder

What are you trying to do here? What happens when you click on links now?

-DBTrek

Yeah I got that to work once or twice. When I left click on the download link it only gives me the desktop option. When a right click and save link as target I can pick where to put it sometimes.

So long as I know it can be done like IE that's cool. I'll figure it out in time. I did find the option you first mentioned.

Looks like I'll be returning to factory settings. If so, I can go back to IE browser if needed.

A.LeClair said:
If you are asking in relation to my above recent question, I mean just in general.

If you are asking what sort of hacking, viruses and ad ware I've recently had to deal with, probably every one in existence!

That was a rhetoric question... A certain degree of smugness is part of being a Macophile, since there are currently no viruses, adware, or other nasties for OS X in the wild.

BTW: Is this the first Mac / PC debate here?

musictomyears said:
That was a rhetoric question... A certain degree of smugness is part of being a Macophile, since there are currently no viruses, adware, or other nasties for OS X in the wild.

BTW: Is this the first Mac / PC debate here?

This is a Mac / pc debate thread?

A.LeClair said:
This is a Mac / pc debate thread?

Seems like it... Every time someone mentions Macs and PCs in the same sentence, it automatically becomes one. Perhaps we could give it a paranormal twist, to make it more acceptable? Like, "My Mac randomly turns itself off, I think it is haunted", or something? Or: "I use the Blue Screen of Death on my PC for retrieving screen memories of my latest trip to the mother-ship".

macs and peecees have been discussed here before. nothing new here. bottom line was macs rule peecees drool or something to that effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back