• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

North Korea ready 'to settle accounts'

I served in the 25th ID for four and a half years. Our main mission was North Korea. That certainly doesn't make me an expert, by any means, but my learned perspective might serve to add to our overall understanding.

In the late 90's the battle plan for the 25,000 or so troops in SK was a hasty retreat until the 25th could get there, followed by the 82nd & 101st. I realize this was some time ago, but I suspect the general strategy hasn't changed much. The DPRK certainly hasn't. They aren't dangerous due to nukes or technology. They are dangerous due to sheer numbers. I forget how many DPRK artillery pieces range Seoul, but it's in the thousands. That is, the opening moves would see artillery raining down on Seoul - not good. The DPRKs military technology is somewhere in the mid 1960's. However, there's a lot of it and what we have in place can't stop an invasion (initially).

I guess the "good" news is that any full court press invasion would require a massive build-up of personnel and equipment. On the other hand, if that portly dictator is willing to simply sacrifice a certain number of troops (never set up for success, but rather to make a horribly awful statement) I could see things kicking off with little to no warning.

I think the real danger here is Kim Jong Un (spelling?) is an utter amateur. There's a real possibility he'll blunder the DPRK into a war with South Korea, and by obvious extension, the U.S.

Scary stuff.

That is more or less what I thought the situation.

I guess in the end the truth is the North can not win an all out war, yes they can and will make it messy and costly but in the end the North would lose.

I served in the 25th ID for four and a half years. Our main mission was North Korea. That certainly doesn't make me an expert, by any means, but my learned perspective might serve to add to our overall understanding.

In the late 90's the battle plan for the 25,000 or so troops in SK was a hasty retreat until the 25th could get there, followed by the 82nd & 101st. I realize this was some time ago, but I suspect the general strategy hasn't changed much. The DPRK certainly hasn't. They aren't dangerous due to nukes or technology. They are dangerous due to sheer numbers. I forget how many DPRK artillery pieces range Seoul, but it's in the thousands. That is, the opening moves would see artillery raining down on Seoul - not good. The DPRKs military technology is somewhere in the mid 1960's. However, there's a lot of it and what we have in place can't stop an invasion (initially).

I guess the "good" news is that any full court press invasion would require a massive build-up of personnel and equipment. On the other hand, if that portly dictator is willing to simply sacrifice a certain number of troops (never set up for success, but rather to make a horribly awful statement) I could see things kicking off with little to no warning.

I think the real danger here is Kim Jong Un (spelling?) is an utter amateur. There's a real possibility he'll blunder the DPRK into a war with South Korea, and by obvious extension, the U.S.

Scary stuff.

Then You probably have as much insight as anyone here, for my part what unnerves me is from the handful of stories I have heard of the near fanaticism of much of the troops. If I recall I understand that the north korean regime murdered the present south korean leader's mother

Is anyone familiar with the story of Shin Sang-ok? A South Korean filmmaker that was kidnapped by and forced to make movies for Kim Jong-il.

I had a friend that was stationed in the South back in the late eighties/early nineties, I remember he told me that when guarding the border it wasn't unlikely that soldiers from the North would just randomly fire at them.

Its not just the North Korea the United States would be fighting. The Chinese military will likely support North Korea militarily.

I can't see Kim ordering his military to use nuclear weapons anyways that would be insane. I think he might risk a limited engagement with the United States and South Korean army.

Its not just the North Korea the United States would be fighting. The Chinese military will likely support North Korea militarily.

I can't see Kim ordering his military to use nuclear weapons anyways that would be insane. I think he might risk a limited engagement with the United States and South Korean army.

Kim just released the military to use them if need be, yeah the guy is that made. now as for China I would not hold your breath on them helping NK as they would lose far to much economic ground with the west for it to be worth it.

Sure China will make airs about it all but in the end NK is not worth the loss of trade with the west.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

will add this in as it kind of puts perspective on the NK position.

North Korea lacks means for nuclear strike on U.S., experts say| Reuters

They are playing a game of how much till the west flinches ... the danger is this time the west is not flinching.

You're gonna love this.............

Because of North Korea's new threats today we are forced to contact you again.

Within this release we also take the chance to set some things straight about our goals, because it seems some web citizens didn't really get it right. Here we go:

@ Kim Jong-un

You just went full retarded! Never go full retarded.

We feel really sorry for your suffering of TDS (aka "tiny dick syndrome") but be assured, threatening the world with your nukes won't make it any better at all.

If you had finally opened up your country for the real internet, you would have already seen over 9000 ads for products devoted to solve your problem

Anonymous Hacks Official North Korean Social Media Accounts – ReadWrite

Its over 9000............

Anonymous.jpg

Oh they are still alive and well, the problem now is picking the want to be anons from the real thing............... but that has its advantage in a way.

Even Mr Kim Jong-un should be wary of them.

Kim just released the military to use them if need be, yeah the guy is that made. now as for China I would not hold your breath on them helping NK as they would lose far to much economic ground with the west for it to be worth it.

Sure China will make airs about it all but in the end NK is not worth the loss of trade with the west.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

will add this in as it kind of puts perspective on the NK position.

North Korea lacks means for nuclear strike on U.S., experts say| Reuters

They are playing a game of how much till the west flinches ... the danger is this time the west is not flinching.

The last few years China has been asserting itself militarily and let us not forget the dispute between China and Japan over a number of Islands in the South China sea!

The United States rather than staying neutral, backed Japan. China will not easily forget this. And the US pivot to Asia is a clear sign to China we face a threat from the United States.

There, is no way China will give up North Korea. China will intervene militarily in aiding North Korea once the shooting begins. North Korea, is still an ally and they have a defense pact with them, the Chinese. And China's biggest fear is North Korea would become a US client state.

The last few years China has been asserting itself militarily and let us not forget the dispute between China and Japan over a number of Islands in the South China sea!

The United States rather than staying neutral, backed Japan. China will not easily forget this. And the US pivot to Asia is a clear sign to China we face a threat from the United States.

There, is no way China will give up North Korea. China will intervene militarily in aiding North Korea once the shooting begins. North Korea, is still an ally and they have a defense pact with them, the Chinese. And China's biggest fear is North Korea would become a US client state.

I see what you are trying to say here and yes that would seem to be the obvious conclusion.

But I can not see it playing out this way, The US owes China a large amount on Money ans what many people do not know is that China also imports a massive amount of food to feed its population (from western nations), this is one of the reasons they are obtaining so much land in Africa etc.
Yes they have a defense pact with NK (a very old one), but will they risk the loss of international trade by siding with NK if and when a conflict happens? that is the big question. Personally I do not see this happening..... China is just not that stupid and North Korea is not economically worth it even if it is strategically worth it as a direct buffer with the US friendly south.

Anyway this is all moot right now as I think we are seeing an international dick waving contest on the part of the North and actually going to war is not the idea.

North Korea asks embassies to consider moving diplomats out| Reuters

As Koreas face off, risk of accidental war grows| Reuters

I see what you are trying to say here and yes that would seem to be the obvious conclusion.

But I can not see it playing out this way, The US owes China a large amount on Money ans what many people do not know is that China also imports a massive amount of food to feed its population (from western nations), this is one of the reasons they are obtaining so much land in Africa etc.
Yes they have a defense pact with NK (a very old one), but will they risk the loss of international trade by siding with NK if and when a conflict happens? that is the big question. Personally I do not see this happening..... China is just not that stupid and North Korea is not economically worth it even if it is strategically worth it as a direct buffer with the US friendly south.

Anyway this is all moot right now as I think we are seeing an international dick waving contest on the part of the North and actually going to war is not the idea.

Nicely thought out analysis stoney.

In the end dick waving probably best sums the situation as I just don't see china as having come this far along in a fairly short time...and infrastructure-wise they have a long ways to go...only to risk it all for the dysfunctional kim regime. The north koreans, as an helpful ally/ buffer are absolutely (sorry mike!) worthless and The Chinese have a date with imperialism overreach :)

What the chinese probably fear most is hundreds of thousands of north korean refugees (as does south korea) pouring over the borders, and as long as kim just barks, he's probably safe but if he starts to bite he won't have many backers.

The u.s. is stuck with the burden of showing some muscle to ease the fears of its allies and not ruffle the chinese feathers.

Let me end this post by saying this :

Please Kim concern yourself with
FEEDING YOUR PEOPLE. but then maybe this is the only way the kim-gods know how to get that done they sure can't pull it the traditional way. Maybe kim is hoping the north korean citizens did develop a taste for tree bark.

Been cynical, the United States, could be hoping for such a war no more debt to be paid to China.

Back to reality! China imports from a number of countries even there close ally Russia. Do you honestly believe Russia would stop all trading with China, if they attacked US troops stationed in South Korea? China is also self sufficient, it exports more than it imports, and in time of war, their citizens would just have to sacrifice for the good of the country, as other countries have done so in the past. Its highly unlikely the Chinese population would starve. They the Chinese eat a traditional diet which is mainly homegrown.

History:
Countries who've been allies for a long time rarely turn their backs on their friends. North Korea is a country that China can not be seen to give up on, no matter, what happens in the next couple of days, weeks, months, even years. China sees the United States as a strategic foe- and its highly probable in the future both countries will clash over security and foreign issues that are of interest to both nations.

Why help North Korea?
North Korea is a buffer zone and an important one- No North Korea ally- you have no roadblock to stop US troops crossing the DMZ and moving quickly into Chinese territory. China national security would be jeopardy if they were to allow the collapse of North Korea. Yes, the Western powers would hope China would just invade North Korea and take Kim out-not going to happen.

And if latest moves are not an indication of their interests and intentions!
China has already began moving troops, tanks and planes to the border areas between the two countries and has been doing this since late March. Do you honestly believe there to look after war time refugees? It likely more a sign of support for North Korea, the United States attacks, we'll have your backs.You been an American have a different perspective to the ongoing crisis, i get that. Let just hope we don't see any war!

Stonehart is a proud kiwi, I'm the yank and while you could very well be right, you make some interesting points, I think that this would have been a no brainer as early as 15 years ago but just look how soon the us became "pro-japan" and started demonizing china following world war 2.

A fellow Anon posted this

Consider this:

Kim Jong Un wants to join the rest of the world. The only way he can do this is to have his country attacked and "defeated" by the West.

Consider he has already agreed to do this with approval from Western governments. The reason being that he can't simply throw off the shackles of his current government because his generals would overthrow him.

This way allows for defeat and no military coo.

Jong Un loves the west. He wants Korea to participate in the world's future.

That makes for a cool conspiracy theory don't you think?

Back