• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

North Korea ready 'to settle accounts'

So do they or don't they ? Maybe we should ask kim's hairdresser.

" North Korea may have nuclear warhead capability,U.S. agency says"

Lawmaker discloses portion of intelligence study that concludes Pyongyang has the technology to make warheads small enough for long-range missiles. It is not a view shared by all U.S. spy agencies.

North Korea may have nuclear warhead capability, U.S. agency says - latimes.com

Maybe the north koreans are also storing saadam's wmds' and yellowcake uranium.

Let's ask "Psy" if his "Gentle MAN" follow-up to Gangnam Style could be what is behind the recent Korean BS. Perhaps all this NK/SK tempest-in-a-teapot may be just a PR campaign to publicize his new video? Now that I think about it, Psy kinda looks like Kim Jun Un... (yeah, I know, "whatever..." it sounds like lame mid-'80s clubbed Kraftwerk wanne-be disco digital cow-pucky on your patent leather shoe ) :rolleyes:

[This is high-art!!! :D]

Gentle Man (lyric)

Alagamun-lan, weh, wakun, heya, hanun, gon
Alagamun-lan, weh, makun, heya, hanun, gon
Alagamun-lan, ari, gari, hanon, kari, he
Alagamun-lan, we-like, we like party, hey
Ichiba, varriya, is hara moru, mashi sondori, yama, varriya
Yougun, pegi, tur, equa, machen, varriya
Noga, onku, pega, haga, kunge, nande, varriya
Damn girl, you’re so freakin sexy
I-I-I I’m a, I-I-I I’m a
I-I-I I’m a, mother-father-gentleman
I-I-I I’m a, I-I-I I’m a
I-I-I I’m a, I-I-I I’m a
Alagamun-lan, weh, mikuneya, hana, gon
Alagamun-lan. weh, sikuneya, hana, gon
Alagamun-lan, pali, pali, wasa, nelly, neh
Alagamun-lan, nali, nali, nasa, pali, hee
Ichiba, varaniya, nori, moli, holy, daddy, chunga, ri
Varriya, get feeling, feeling good, brutake
Varriya, gachu, gunya, sorinage, sorinage
Varriya, damn girl, I’mma party, morphine
I-I-I I’m a, I-I-I I’m a
I-I-I I’m a, I-I-I I’m a
I-I-I I’m a, I-I-I I’m a
Gonna make you sweat
Gonna make you wet
You know who I am, west side
Gonna make you sweat
Gonna make you wet
You know who I am, west side
I-I-I I’m a, I-I-I I’m a
I-I-I I’m a, I-I-I I’m a
I-I-I I’m a, I-I-I I’m a

Talk about digging in your heels

KOREA-NORTH_122427--525x300.jpg

I have read that N. Korea has extensive, well-constructed bomb shelters/hangars etc, built into and under mountains and that they are supposed to be capable of withstanding a fair pounding, as far as these things can anyway.

But if North Korea was stupid enough to initiate any kind of nuclear conflict against any country at all, they must surely know that if any of the larger nuclear powers chose to, they could obliterate their whole country - so that even if some people/equipment/supplies could survive an initial atomic attack, there would be zero liveable country for them to emerge into. We all know the place is pretty chaotic at the best of times, in terms of power and food supplies so how on earth could it even conceive of existing in a post-nuclear attack country?
I contend that not only would there literally be nothing to return to for even the 'lucky' chosen few who might escape the blasts - it would probably be hundreds of years rather than decades before, for instance, agriculture (as it is) could return to any semblance of normality?

As paranoid and mad as the leadership of North Korea seems to be, I refuse to believe it is that mad. In fact, the only scenario I could believe is that the upper echelon's of the country's leadership are willing to basically sacrifice their whole population and future to give the world a 'bloody nose' whilst the chosen few live out their lives in exile in some backwater sham of a country that might accept them, no doubt in exchange for money.

What does China really think of all this? Imagine North Korea starts a nuclear war and another country detonates nukes over North Korea? The inevitable fall-out and radioactive rain etc would of course not respect borders drawn on a map, and N. Korea shares it's northern border with mainland China. China wouldn't be too happy inhaling the second-hand fallout spilling over from the Korean Peninsula.
My point being is any scenario involving nuclear weapons is gonna piss off all the countries near the Korea's. Japan, South Korea and Russia I suppose are those closest with the most to lose. And what on earth could North Korea ever hope to win from a nuclear exchange? For a multitude of reasons, it would easily suffer the worst fate of any of those countries, even if the fate of all of them was horrible, North Korea's would be the horribleist (yes it's a real word, I just typed it) by far.

So unless Kim Jong-un is really certifiably mad - and I mean medically in need of serious anti-psychotic medication, all this is just posturing to keep the illusion they are constantly in danger of attack by the US/JAPAN/S. KOREA. They need to play up this angle constantly to justify the obscene way they spend the little money they have. Hopefully smuggled technology that keeps improving will eventually lead to the average North Korean having the same access to world news and opinion that the rest of us take for granted.
I am still to this day astonished that a country that is as developed in terms of technology etc can so effectively cut it's own people off from the rest of the world and perpetuate this ridiculous cult-of-personality centred around members of a fat, little family who portray themselves as writers of opera's, inexperienced golfers who regularly hit hole-in-one's and much other silliness. One has to feel for the average North Korean citizen who has never had even a chance at a balanced view of the world, lives in miserable conditions most of the time and absolutely cannot speak out whatsoever for fear of being sent to one of the nightmare labour or experiment camps, or even just executed on the spot. To think that their own kin, their own extended family members live just across a border in what is in comparison, a garden of Eden.

If only it was 'Team America' and a laughing matter.

(I suppose the only funny aspect to all of this is that North Korea's leadership would even entertain the idea that any other country would wish to invade them - there is nothing in that country that anyone outside it wants, except freedom for it's long-suffering population. Kim Jong-un, you have nothing the rest of the world wants, we don't want to invade and you have nothing to steal. You are a joke to the world.):mad:

Having listened to some far more experienced and educated people who visit NK on a regular basis, I conclude that this is all going to blow over in time.

One has to understand that this rhetoric goes on 365 days a year in NK, it's just that the western media chooses to pick up on it periodically and then drops it. Every year the NK's get tetchy when the US and SK have their war exercises. It's like the arrival Spring or coming of Autumn, it happens at roughly the same time every year. It's a little more heated this year because the new leader has to show strength and it's major anniversary for NK (101 years since it came about) and his ancestor who started the whole thing.

As goggs points out, there are so many reasons for it not to happen. The new guy is not stupid, he's just new.

But fear dear reader, fear is good! Fear will keep the people in check, the war industries happy, the media have their easy stories and leaders can aggrandise as they see fit with empty rhetoric on both sides.

Worry more about the falling price of the gold you bought cos you heard you should on some radio ad. Worry about the Chinese producing less over the last quarter and rejoice that the price of Oil is coming down in time for driving season.

Yeah i read a blog comment from a guy who lives in SK confirming this, This stuff goes on every day year in, year out.
The real question here is why is western media is playing it up all of a sudden

Yeah i read a blog comment from a guy who lives in SK confirming this, This stuff goes on every day year in, year out.

Been my question all along... why now?

They're not playing it up all of a sudden, as I said, this gets covered periodically when the US/SK manoeuvres start.

Tell you what, let's see if it's still dominating the front pages in two weeks. It's already gone from the bbc's world homepage (BBC News - World) and main homepage.

If they can get to fire a missle then it may get back up there, but at present, the way news cycle works it'd have to be a bit special to get back up there. Kerry's out of there, so real interest from US media, the bbc documentary with undercover reporters has now been shown.. "it's today's fish & chips wrapping" as we say in the UK.

Back