• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

North Korea ready 'to settle accounts'

stonehart

Paranormal Adept
North Korea Tension | North Korea Ready 'To Settle... | Stuff.co.nz

So I have to ask is this a cause for serious concern or is this just a case of (excuse the term) international dick waving on the North Koreans part?

Despite the hastening drumbeat of warfare, none of the key players in the region wants or expects another Korean War - not even the North Koreans.

Thoughts, ideas and opinions... I know you have them :D

Kim Jong Un can't be stupid enough to actually launch a strike. He MUST know North Korea would be a big glowing crater if he did.
But, I think I am rational, .....whereas he has been raised in isolation his whole life surrounded by ass kissers and ego-strokers. He may just have a God complex and think the world will be afraid of him. I'm just worried he has painted himself into a corner, and will not back down for fear of losing face.

Kim Jong Un can't be stupid enough to actually launch a strike. He MUST know North Korea would be a big glowing crater if he did.
But, I think I am rational, .....whereas he has been raised in isolation his whole life surrounded by ass kissers and ego-strokers. He may just have a God complex and think the world will be afraid of him. I'm just worried he has painted himself into a corner, and will not back down for fear of losing face.

Well he has played his last card and yes he has run out of space to paint.

North Korea says to enter state of war against South Korea: KCNA| Reuters

Now what?

This could get very nasty very quick.

Guys, this blustery behavior is precisely what you would expect from a midget teapot dictator running a country of starving people. Stop me when I lie. This clown needs to have his little castle meet the business end of a bunker buster. I feel bad for the people; even the ones that you think have "bought in" to this regime's nonsense have simply been brainwashed and lied to -- generationally.

I think you were right on when you called it "international dick waving" on the part of North Korea. Obviously, this kid has grown up having his ass kissed so hard that it's probably almost impossible for him to recognize what a terrible idea this would be. Hopefully, someone over there has enough sense to tell him the hard truth, which is that they would be quickly annihilated if they were stupid enough to launch an attack. I feel bad for the South Koreans that have to share a land mass with this dickhead. I'm actually a pretty big fan of a South Korean director who made one of my favorite movies of all time...

Park Chan-wook - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oldboy or Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance? I like them both quite a bit myself.

I doubt this idiot is likely to actually try anything beyond waving his fist and making threats. But, what do we really know about this guy? Does he have any genuine advisors surrounding him or just a bunch of bowing yes-men? He's never really known any other reality outside of living the good life while his subjects eat boiled tree bark. He's probably an egomaniacal madman and maybe, I'm not saying likely, but maybe he might even think he's invincible.

I think any talk about tapping down n.k. had to include all those sycophantic back stabbing generals. Those guys would ruin over their own mothers to get ahead and stay ahead of each other and are awfully keen on themselves and their fancy ribbons and I'll wager they would sell out each other in the blink of an eye and the kim dynasty (along with his closest personal advisors) encourage such behavior.

My gut reaction to this posturing is give him an ass kicking.

He was educated in switzerland, speaks good english, and passable french and german,
Has travelled europe in his youth.

He should be worldy wise enough to know his threats are a joke to the rest of us.

The little bugger has his back to the wall, new sanctions that even the chinese are taking part in have left him marginalised by the rest of the world.
But i would be surprised if he hasnt seen what happened to saddam and gaddafi and know that if the west wants to kill him, they can do so.

If hes silly enough to start a war, the west will finish it.

We wouldnt need nukes any more than we did with saddam, we could bomb them back to the stone age with conventional weapons if it came to it.

Lets hope it doesnt though, the REMF's will bunker down and the poor civies will cop the brunt of it.
Given his fathers penchant for US movies, what we should do is carpet bomb NK with leaflets bearing Clint Eastwoods face, with the message "go ahead make my day" in korean.

With

You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?

On the flip side..........

Use a stealth bomber they never even saw fly over for max effect.

Oldboy or Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance? I like them both quite a bit myself.

I doubt this idiot is likely to actually try anything beyond waving his fist and making threats. But, what do we really know about this guy? Does he have any genuine advisors surrounding him or just a bunch of bowing yes-men? He's never really known any other reality outside of living the good life while his subjects eat boiled tree bark. He's probably an egomaniacal madman and maybe, I'm not saying likely, but maybe he might even think he's invincible.

I like them both as well but Oldboy is a masterpiece of modern cinema, one of the best movies I've ever seen, hands down. Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance was great but imo it's not on the same level as Oldboy. I was kind of disappointed by Lady Vengeance, I mean, it's good but it's nowhere near the other two in my opinion.

I like them both as well but Oldboy is a masterpiece of modern cinema, one of the best movies I've ever seen, hands down. Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance was great but imo it's not on the same level as Oldboy. I was kind of disappointed by Lady Vengeance, I mean, it's good but it's nowhere near the other two in my opinion.

I hear you...

Lets hope it doesnt though, the REMFS will bunker down and the poor civies will cop the brunt of it.
Given his fathers penchant for US movies, what we should do is carpet bomb NK with leaflets bearing Clint Eastwoods face, with the message "go ahead make my day" in korean.

With

Ha ha!

"Used to stack f**ks like you five feet high in Korea and use you as sandbags."

My gut reaction to this posturing is give him an ass kicking.

With

I promote this kind of thinking :D .. cold, clear cut and could just work.

And if the rolled up newspaper doesn't.work how about these three words

Release the Kraken !!!

Anybody else with a three word solution ?

I served in the 25th ID for four and a half years. Our main mission was North Korea. That certainly doesn't make me an expert, by any means, but my learned perspective might serve to add to our overall understanding.

In the late 90's the battle plan for the 25,000 or so troops in SK was a hasty retreat until the 25th could get there, followed by the 82nd & 101st. I realize this was some time ago, but I suspect the general strategy hasn't changed much. The DPRK certainly hasn't. They aren't dangerous due to nukes or technology. They are dangerous due to sheer numbers. I forget how many DPRK artillery pieces range Seoul, but it's in the thousands. That is, the opening moves would see artillery raining down on Seoul - not good. The DPRKs military technology is somewhere in the mid 1960's. However, there's a lot of it and what we have in place can't stop an invasion (initially).

I guess the "good" news is that any full court press invasion would require a massive build-up of personnel and equipment. On the other hand, if that portly dictator is willing to simply sacrifice a certain number of troops (never set up for success, but rather to make a horribly awful statement) I could see things kicking off with little to no warning.

I think the real danger here is Kim Jong Un (spelling?) is an utter amateur. There's a real possibility he'll blunder the DPRK into a war with South Korea, and by obvious extension, the U.S.

Scary stuff.

Back