• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Musical Interests

I recently listened to the latest episode of 'Angry Human', and was happy to learn that Dave is an admirer of Jeff Beck. I don't think I would want to be in the same room with anyone who doesn't recognize this man's genius.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This seems appropriate.

"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm the ripe old age of 36?!:D

Have you seen Bjork in Dancer in the Dark? I don't think anyone can watch it without balling their eyes out but - the soundtrack is amazing.

Yep, it is definitely the most gut-wrenching film I've ever seen. Me and my partner literally cried our faces off for a full 20 minutes after watching it. A truly distressing film. Still love Bjork to tears though ... nothing could change that :D.

And now to counteract all those endless tedious guitar based tunes ... something a bit more interesting ... the Future Sound of London:

My fiance and I are going to Iceland (speaking of Bjork) this summer for our honeymoon (that sounds so strange to say - "honeymoon", not "going to Iceland"!). I can't wait I've read that everyone either paints or plays music - it sounds like Paradise.

We saw Sigur Ros a few years back - it was such a beautiful experience.

We saw Sigur Ros a few years back - it was such a beautiful experience.

I've seen them a couple of times now, and it was practically a religious experience. First time, I went with my best friend Joe and my girlfriend Dr. Sue, we saw them at the Beacon Theater in NYC. I swear you could hear a pin drop the entire show, the audience was so into the band, no one made any noise except at the end of songs. It was amazing.

dB

Along the lines of the more arty type of bands. What does everyone think of these guys.

I just Love it.

Mark

I cannot believe the amount of sci-fi and classic southern-fried rock fans on this forum who need to hear this.
CLUTCH: ,

Clutch - I have seen them so many times - they brought me back into the world of heavy guitars. In fact - way back when their Clutch self-named disc came out was when I started getting back into UFOs. They were singing about MJ-12, Tim Sult vs. The Greys, and I just soaked it all in...

Talk Talk - the first song I bought on itunes was Life's What You Make It. I love this song.

Sigur Ros - An Icelandic band opened for them (I think it was the partners of Sigur Ros but I don't know why I think that) and they played almost all traditional instruments. The whole night was such a personal experience - I just hope that while we are in Iceland we discover a hundred such bands... I'll be posting my discoveries here!

Mexicola: The band that opened for Sigur Ros is called Anima, and consists of all women, they also serve as Sigur Ros's string section.

I think I've recounted some of my Chris Whitley stories on here, but if not, here's something that I posted on MetaFilter when Chris passed away:

-----------------------------

Tears instantly flowed from my eyes when I read this news.

In a world of manufactured music without any sense of soul, Chris Whitley was a true voice of pain, wonder, pleasure, sensuality and beauty. His music will certainly withstand the test of time.

I was a teenager when I first witnessed Chris in Greenwich Village, playing a beat up Dobro on the fringes of Washington Square. He seemed bound to that guitar by the threads of his very being, his fingers flying over the fretboard with an urgency and intensity that I had never seen that close up. I used to trek to the Village with the specific goal of finding Chris on the street, to hear him play and sing, and he was always shy, but seemed happy to see me, someone who appreciated his soul and his awesome talent. Sometimes there were cute girls hanging onto his every word as well, and I'd make small talk with them while watching Chris play. I was much more interested in the music, though some of those gals where hella cute.

Years later, I was living in San Francisco, and my then-wife Hellene and I were in a record store in San Rafel, all of a sudden she exclaimed, "OMG, Chris has an album!". I then found out that Chris Whitley was a shared thread in our lives - one of those cute girls was Hellene, and she was living with him right around the time I'd go and see him play. What a strange coincidence! We went to see Chris play when he toured for "Living with the Law", he greeted us backstage, and the three of us laughed together when we realized the mutual connection. He dedicated a song to Hellene at that show, all the women standing around us looked at her with such jealous eyes, but she didn't care. Chris had made the big time, and we were so thrilled for him.

When "Dirt Floor" was released, I called his manager and explained the friendship, and that I wanted to buy 100 copies of the record to give to all my friends. It's the best music he's ever recorded, the closest thing to his early work, and I only recently gave away the last copy to a close friend.

I could go on and on, but I just wanted to let everyone know that the Universe has a new musician in residence. Hendrix and Chris are probably jamming on "From One Island to Another" at this exact moment, and Link Wray is whispering to Frank Zappa, "who in the hell is this kid? Shit, he plays like an angry angel".

Peace to you, Chris, and condolences to your family and many friends.

dB

Clutch - I have seen them so many times - they brought me back into the world of heavy guitars. In fact - way back when their Clutch self-named disc came out was when I started getting back into UFOs. They were singing about MJ-12, Tim Sult vs. The Greys, and I just soaked it all in...

Sweet. I need say no more.

Remember little-baby Soundgarden? Damn, I'm feeling old.

Don't forget the Yeti...
The Elephant Riders is on my Top 20 Ass-Kickers.
"Himalayas was my old-tyme stompin' ground...Oh, yeah...Time is of the Essence."
It works better the louder you play it.

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Bands/Artists I like:

Frank Zappa
Mike Keneally
Dixie Dregs/Steve Morse
Genesis (Gabriel Era)
Radiohead (Ok Computer and onwards)
The Wizards of Twiddly
Metallica (up to and including and Justice...)
Mr Bungle
Steely Dan
Joe Pass

I'm not into doing the negative thing and listing bands I don't like. Having said that, there are a select few that deserve it, so:

Bands that make me wish I could go back in time and kill their parents:

REM
The Cranberries
Oasis
Smashing Pumpkins
Kings of Leon
The Strokes
This could be a very long list, so I'll leave it there.

This thread is fun fun fun. I MUST throw down some new Animal Collective.

<object height="295" width="480">

<embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="295" width="480"></object>

Tim,

That's a cool video, thanks for posting it! I wish I liked the music as much as the video. I'll go give some of their other stuff a listen.

Matt,

It's funny, musical tastes and all, there's a lot of REM that I like, some of it I don't particularly care for, and I'm right there with you on the Cranberries (I can't stand that woman's yodeling), but I have to tell you, I absolutely DETEST Metallica, those guys are the biggest morons I've ever encountered in the musical world. I've been lucky enough to be able to tell that to Hetfield's face, and I'm proud to say that I've kneed Lars in his back, when he was crouching on the ground at an ILM party. I growled at him, and he backed away like the little shit he is.

But the Bob Lazar Story, now THERE'S a rockin' outfit. :cool:

dB

Back