• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Musical Interests

They are country, sorry to say that here. but I absolutly love it.

Why be sorry? Nothing wrong with country music. I started playing professionally way back in the mid 80's when I was just a kid like 14, first paid gigs I ever had were gigs with country acts, and that was a good 4-5 years before country became "cool" again towards the end of the 80's. Nothing wrong with country, some of the coolest writers in the business write country music.

bsvalley: It's cool to be into Country if that's your passion. I like old Country, stuff like Johnny Cash, Willy Nelson, Roy Clark, etc. That's the earliest music I heard. I even sat in with a bluegrass band for a couple shows, once.

Nowadays, perhaps due to my age, I dig singer-songwriters (Bob D., Neil Y, etc.) the most

I've got a Peavy bass I pull out for recording purposes, and I really dig playing it, but I need a better bass head.

I was only in one band, and for a short while. The rest of my time has been jammin with other groups, or teaching guitar, or in recent years just playing for myself.

I'd love to start another band, but finding people of similar commitment levels who live with driving distance is rough.

Why be sorry? Nothing wrong with country music. I started playing professionally way back in the mid 80's when I was just a kid like 14, first paid gigs I ever had were gigs with country acts, and that was a good 4-5 years before country became "cool" again towards the end of the 80's. Nothing wrong with country, some of the coolest writers in the business write country music.

I remember when I was first starting out in a little town in AZ around 1985. My guitar player friend and I had to join a christian rock cover band that would change the lyrics to popular songs, and talk about "the Lord". It was the only way to play live. We couldn't find any drummers or bass players into our music. It was fun but at the same time very depressing because they were all born again drug addicts.

Slayer to me is what Iron Maiden is to Jeff. They got me through many tough times.

I love anything thats heavy and Tribal sounding. Bands like Soulfly and Sepultura. But my main love right now is anything Industrial like Rammstein, Bosch, Fear Factory and now I've rediscovered Static-X.

I've played many many shows over the years to a lot of people, but I'm not a musician. My nick-name was Riff O' Matic. My band mates use to record me jamming because I would just riff for hours never playing the same stuff twice. They had to because I would always forget what I played. I was strictly an emotional player. Reading notes, Music Therory , none of that interested me. Hell I didn't even know the names of the strings. It used to drive our othe guitar player nuts, He would say "play this in the key of F" and I would be like "Dude, What"?

My main gear were Laney and Randall cabinets using a power supply from a PA system plugged into my Digital Rack. I hate the sound of a head, not a warm and fuzzy Tube fan. My sound has to reach down into your soul and suffocate it LOL. My practice rig at home was my effects Rack, my Jackson King V and a Peavy TNT bass amp. My God it was a heavy sound.

Man I miss those days, complet and utter debauchery. :D

a Peavy TNT bass amp. My God it was a heavy sound.

Man I miss those days, complet and utter debauchery. :D

I guess you would get some, a.... chunk :p using a TNT for a guitar amp with that single 15" speaker.

I still have one Peavey cabinet in my collection, big honking bi-amp cab with 2 tens and an 18 inch black widow bottom, it was my bottom for my stage rig when I was touring, ran that with a Hartke 410XL on top, those aluminum speaker cones added serious "cool factor" points. :D

I was really influenced by the cool digital sounding tones that Geddy Lee was making in the early 80's with the Steinberger basses, enough that I still own 2 of them, but that's another conversation. I loved my solid state amp rigs though, my stage rig was a rack setup, honking Carver PM1200 all digital power amp, Rocktron Bassix preamp, Soundtech 31 band EQ, Alesis Midiverb for effects, couple other Rocktron toys like the Hush noise gate for good measure.

Man, you want to talk about output, get a Steinberger with those active EMG pickups, 600 watts pushing 4 aluminum 10s, and another 600 watts pushing 2 more 10s and an 18 inch Blackwidow in that Peavey cabinet. Talk about moving some air! I was slightly demented when it came to my bass tone and just how much power was actually required by one bass player.

I'm not even going to go into the issue of when I decided that Trace Elliot needed to join my equipment lineup, and the glowing green monster AH500x heads and matching cab stacks arrived on the scene. :D Scary days indeed!

I agree,nothing wrong with Country music!

There are no bad genres,only bad artists...

The Father of Country Rock,Gram Parsons,is one of my all-time favorite performers.He was a pioneer in the fusion of Country,Rock and Soul.He was also a true spiritual seeker,who used too take his buddies,The Rolling Stones,on "vision quests" too the Joshua Tree Wilderness,CA.On these "expeditions",they would drop acid and look for UFO's!

Sadly,he died of a drug overdose at the age of 26,and never reached the fame of other great Country legends like J.Cash or H.Williams.But his legacy lives on,in his two brilliant solo albums "Grievous Angel" and "GP".

PS:He also "discovered" Emmylou Harris - who sings on both of his albums.

Here he is - "God's own singer":

Being one of the younger listeners to the show (20) I am almost ashamed to list my favorite bands but here goes lately I have been listening to a lot of old school metal such as: Ozzy, Meagadeath, Poison, Kizz, Bon Jovi, Cinderella, Zepplin, Metallica, Shadows Fall, Nirvana well I guess that wasn't such a bad list here is some of the newer stuff I like: Nickleback, Evanescence, Alterbridge, Fuel, Godsmack there are a lot more bands that I like and listen to but these are the ones I listen to on a day to day basis and as far as instruments go I used to have a original 1954 cobalt blue fender electric, and I played a Takamine G240 (I think that was it). Any way my family made a cross country move and there wasn't enough room in the to take my guitars so I am now trying to save up enough to buy more gear. Great post it was interesting hearing some of the bands that fellow listeners like.

Being one of the younger listeners to the show (20) I am almost ashamed to list my favorite bands but here goes lately I have been listening to a lot of old school metal such as: Ozzy, Meagadeath, Poison, Kizz, Bon Jovi, Cinderella, Zepplin, Metallica, Shadows Fall, Nirvana well I guess that wasn't such a bad list here is some of the newer stuff I like: Nickleback, Evanescence, Alterbridge, Fuel, Godsmack there are a lot more bands that I like and listen to but these are the ones I listen to on a day to day basis and as far as instruments go I used to have a original 1954 cobalt blue fender electric, and I played a Takamine G240 (I think that was it). Any way my family made a cross country move and there wasn't enough room in the to take my guitars so I am now trying to save up enough to buy more gear. Great post it was interesting hearing some of the bands that fellow listeners like.

Good to find someone else my own age floating around on these forums, especially one who is musically knowledgable. :)

I'm glad you enjoy this thread; it is pretty interesting finding out other's musical tastes.

Goody.

Mike Patton is an impressive dude...who else can go from Fantomas...yeah, baby! that's King Buzzo from the Melvins bashing your brains out on guitar and Dave Lombardo from Slayer on drums!
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

...to this brilliant shit?

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If I were gay, I'd have a man-crush.

Is exactly what the title suggests; What kind of music do you listen to? Who are some of your favourite artists? What is your least favourite genre/artist?

Oh...& if you play an instrument, list it too!

Goody.

Lots of 60s stuff like Donovan, Buffy St. Marie, Hendrix, Doors, Moody Blues, Airplane, Creedence, Grand Funk.
Some 70s, a little 80s and beyond.
Trance, blues, "new age" (strange title tho), classic "Southern" rock, heavy metal (lots but not all), Taylor Swift, Pink (love the message), Dixie Chics (ditto), assorted Italian love songs. Lorena McKennit.
Lots of variety but hate rap and progressive jazz.

Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, Nick Cave, Type 0 Negative, Smashing Pumpkins, Queens of the Stone Age, Monster Magnet ... and stuff.

Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, Nick Cave, Type 0 Negative, Smashing Pumpkins, Queens of the Stone Age, Monster Magnet ... and stuff.

I LOVE Queens.

If you're into Type, check out a band called The Tea Party. One of my favs. Their EARLY stuff at least. They sound like Type meets Zeppelin. For starters check out the Edges of the Twilight release.

I LOVE Queens.

If you're into Type, check out a band called The Tea Party. One of my favs. Their EARLY stuff at least. They sound like Type meets Zeppelin. For starters check out the Edges of the Twilight release.

The Tea Party ...never heard of them. Type meets Zeppelin sounds good, will check them... ;)

Nice Aaron, good Canadian band! :) I always love it when I see people into my fellow Canadian musicians.

I truly believe we have produced more then our share of the greatest bands in the world here in Canada. Sadly, The Tea Party broke up a while back, I believe a couple of the guys from the band are doing music for video games now.

I LOVE Queens.

Nice Aaron, good Canadian band! :) I always love it when I see people into my fellow Canadian musicians.

I truly believe we have produced more then our share of the greatest bands in the world here in Canada. Sadly, The Tea Party broke up a while back, I believe a couple of the guys from the band are doing music for video games now.

Yeh, they never got big in the states. No air time.

The singer Jeff Martin has a solo released. It's ok.

How come I've missed this thread until now? :D

My musical tastes are fairly varied. Favourites include Metallica, System of a Down, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Placebo, Siouxsie and the Banshees, the Creatures, Bauhaus, Dead or Alive/Pete Burns, Gary Numan, the Cure, Blondie, Ultravox, Franz Ferdinand, Turin Brakes, Muse, Cocteau Twins, early Human League, Kraftwerk, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Jane's Addiction, the Zutons, Audioslave, the Killers, Travis, Japan, the Verve, Sisters of Mercy, Foo Fighters, Lostprophets, Kaiser Chiefs, Joy Division - phew, I think I'll stop there :p.

:p
How come I've missed this thread until now? :D

My musical tastes are fairly varied. Favourites include Metallica, System of a Down, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Placebo, Siouxsie and the Banshees, the Creatures, Bauhaus, Dead or Alive/Pete Burns, Gary Numan, the Cure, Blondie, Ultravox, Franz Ferdinand, Turin Brakes, Muse, Cocteau Twins, early Human League, Kraftwerk, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Jane's Addiction, the Zutons, Audioslave, the Killers, Travis, Japan, the Verve, Sisters of Mercy, Foo Fighters, Lostprophets, Kaiser Chiefs, Joy Division - phew, I think I'll stop there :p.

You would have missed this one because it got lost for awhile, that is why I dug it up :D.

It's a versatile topic, so it ought to be a hot thread!

Does anyone remember Blind Melon? Always loved'em. I actually saw their last show in Houston...I was up all night and then heard the next morning that Shannon had gone belly-up on us. Damned shame. They are now, finally, back on the road and kicking as much ass as ever. Well worth checking out.

One of my favorites. Give it a minute and does anyone have a clue what the translation of this is??? Happy halloween everybody.

Howzabout a Capuchin monk, who looks like Robert Anton Wilson, singing death metal.
"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back