• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Listener Round Table

But in the case of the presenter, it's not dishonest by design, it's dishonest by misunderstanding. There aren't any dishonest people here, that I've noticed. It's just a bunch of people who believe in conflicting shit -- by whatever means that belief manifests.

But I understand. Shit has to get real up in here, sometimes.

It is difficult to separate dishonesty from inaccuracy, a lot of those sometimes.

But, at the end of the day, I guess I'll take funny over effective, every time. You and Chris often put on a pretty good show.

In short: Fuck it.

@goggs. Do not let hatred into your heart. Be one with spirit and light and allow for the presence of warming, man made or natural. Let not one man's experience of probing or gestation of the infernal machinations of another man's fantasy allow thee to be hindered on ones path of paranormal certainty. Be wise and loving and unheeding of scientology.

Dawkins's rebuttal is still funny.

I agree, but anybody can drop the f bomb, it would have been better if the new scientist guy dawkins was quoting had said "you can slag off" the queen's citizens have always been better at the put down. At us football matches, the fans yell out "you suck" and think they are being clever. At the british football matches I've been to the fans are not at all above denigrating a players wife, mom, grandma or sister and that's considered mild.

the queen's citizens have always been better at the put down. At us football matches, the fans yell out "you suck" and think they are being clever. At the british football matches I've been to the fans are not at all above denigrating a players wife, mom, grandma or sister and that's considered mild.

All of Leeds united supporters to ex Plymouth manager to the tune Daydream Believer by the Monkees;
"Cheer up Peter Reed,
Oh What Can it mean,
to a,
Daydream believer and a shit football team."

Goggs,

My comments weren't really directed at Derik. They were directed more at the stupid and dishonest way that these deniers argue, particularly at the site that Derik linked to.

And you may take another look to see that I didn't just denigrate them. I outlined the transparent way that their tactic was wrong and dishonest. I did so by linking to the original article and quoting from it.

Then Derik suggested that I google the SAME ARTICLE THAT I LINKED TO!

Well, those kind of demonstrations of the mentality we are dealing with don't come along all that often. If you think I am too harsh on stupidity, then you are entitled to that opinion.

A better rejoinder might be to show that I am wrong rather than just rude.

Lance
You are very wrong, very rude and not very intelligent. Please eliminate your CO2 output permanently and save the planet.

Well we all need to grow some skin and take things with a grain of salt--it comes with the territory (the internet, forums, chat, etc). If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch. Better yet, keep your laptop handy and sit on the porch and kick the damn dogs out into the yard :)

I can't believe how many posts this topic from the show generated. Not that it's not an interesting or important topic, but it's not paranormal!

Global warming is paranormal. It's being caused by all the flying saucers buzzing around the Ozarks....they run on liquid water, after all, so that inputs more water into our atmosphere and, poof....turning up the temp.

You know, on a more serious note, I really wanted to talk about the future of UFO research and paranormal research on our time on The Paracast. I was hoping we could dug into that a little bit. I, for one, would have mentioned the fact that we need more people like the late Jim Mosely or Gray Barker.....clowns who help us to laugh at the too-serious, tight-pantied people like Greer and Bass, but at the same time have a serious side to themselves, too. Why don't we have more guys like that, today?

Also, and I've addressed this already a little bit, but why aren't we focusing on singular events, any more? We need another Rendlesham or big-time event that we can attack......something multi-witness and with video, perhaps pictures. We just don't see any serious research any more....the closest thing (I hate to say) to it are TV shows with production budgets. Ugh, that's a sad state of affairs indeed.

I can't believe how many posts this topic from the show generated. Not that it's not an interesting or important topic, but it's not paranormal!

Well I for one don't really care much for the term "paranormal" since it really doesn't add much to the discussion. What does it even mean to say of something (e.g. an event) that it was "paranormal." Basically it means anything that is beyond (current) scientific understanding. Well that's basically what drives science, right? Something happens that needs explanation and people investigate what is going on and try to figure it out. So "paranormal" in that sense is just normal run of the mill stuff that we don't have all the answers to yet--well Quantum Mechanics by that definition is "paranormal."

While of course talking about things outside our current scientific understanding, I would like to add that the notion of ETs doesn't really fit in with "paranormal," unless we ourselves are ready to classify our own species as "paranormal."

I agree, it's not a paranormal phenomenon.

However, I imagine that Gene and Chris brought it up because many seem to think that it is a conspiracy pulled on the public by all of the top science institutions.

My opinion: If there is a conspiracy worth mentioning, it's that many private religious or fossil fuel-backed interest groups/websites continuously spawn non-science to muddy the waters. It's ideologically and politically motivated.

What is highly disconcerting to me as an American citizen, is that the anti-intellectual attitude (looking at you neo-cons/religious right) makes people distrust scientists and the thinkers, all the while eating up the propaganda of political preachers and big business. I imagine that it's easier to understand that Jesus takes care of the world and that money is good, than it is to understand invisible chemical processes in the atmosphere and the ethical imperative that follows: The energy sector has to change.

I think the issue has made clear the level of hypocrisy of many conspiracy theorists. They become tools because they don't understand the science, and can't be bothered to find proper sources. (Like Chris O'Brien explained: add .edu to your Google search..)

The vilification of Al Gore is very sad imo, and dis-heartening. First of all, some people like to portray him as an opportunist. But the fact of the matter is that he's been writing books about the environment and environmental politicis for decades. Mind you, books that are quite informed! From early on, Gore recognized that without a healthy environment, the people are not free. Having to pay a company to supply water 'cleaned' with chloride etc. is not freedom. Freedom is drinking unpolluted water from the brook, or the well. Brains damaged because of leaded gasoline was not freedom, except for the companies that made money on it, and couldn't bother with the environmental effects. Unregulated business unchecked is not freedom for the people. Time to wake from that slumber, and side with the people.

Oh, and the Bush clan who does major fossil fuel biz cheated Gore of a presidency. A case of corruption, a coup!! And a massive blow to the environment, to you and me. Yet the 'truth-loving' conspiracy theory guys think Al Gore is the bad guy!?
The hypocrisy is mindblowing, and shameful.

Back