• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Leslie Kean Media

Free episodes:

Leslie Kean on NPR and Dylan Ratigan 8-24

I don't have time to sit here and write a whole book for you to teach you all the history of this field.

What I am saying is your assertion that "there is nothing to disclose" is a speculative assertion.

But you have time to think about them? I don't think you can come up with 20. In fact I insist that you list them out or apologize for overstating the point. You are on here all the time, so don't give me the I dont have time thing. Lets see your list.

You assert it with confidence, but there's really no evidence to back up that there's anything "they" are hiding. There is doubt, and until that's gone we can't conclude with there's anything to disclose, which is why I don't think there is. LQQD

I can't prove it, of course, but I believe Bob Jacobs' claim that film was obtained by the Air Force of a UFO shooting a rocket out of the sky in 1964.

My position on the government cover-up thing is that there is no widespread and coordinated conspiracy. But I think it is very likely that there have been quite a few mini-conspiracies in the form of videos, photographs, instrument recordings, documents, etc., being buried or even destroyed. I suspect that the primary reasoning for this is not because of fear about public panic or sinister motives of the government. But simply because these things baffle them and even they can't be sure what their videos, photos, etc., show and don't want to have to answer questions about it. Take the alleged 1964 video I mentioned earlier, for example. Suppose they had held a press conference where they showed the video and then took questions from journalists. Obviously one of them is going to ask, "Is it an alien spaceship?" At that point the military officer is going to freeze and not know what in the hell to say. Sure, it's a compelling video but he knows as well as anybody that compelling doesn't do it for a lot of people. You simply cannot answer yes to that question without a crashed saucer or alien body in your possession or a riot of criticism is going to follow. And well, I don't believe they have either. So to avoid these embarrassing situations they are put into a position where they are forced to cover it up. If and when the American government or any government gets definitive proof of extraterrestrial visitation I think we'll find out about it soon afterward. But so long as interesting tidbits are the only things coming their way don't expect to be told a peep.

I can't prove it, of course, but I believe Bob Jacobs' claim that film was obtained by the Air Force of a UFO shooting a rocket out of the sky in 1964.

My position on the government cover-up thing is that there is no widespread and coordinated conspiracy. But I think it is very likely that there have been quite a few mini-conspiracies in the form of videos, photographs, instrument recordings, documents, etc., being buried or even destroyed. I suspect that the primary reasoning for this is not because of fear about public panic or sinister motives of the government. But simply because these things baffle them and even they can't be sure what their videos, photos, etc., show and don't want to have to answer questions about it. Take the alleged 1964 video I mentioned earlier, for example. Suppose they had held a press conference where they showed the video and then took questions from journalists. Obviously one of them is going to ask, "Is it an alien spaceship?" At that point the military officer is going to freeze and not know what in the hell to say. Sure, it's a compelling video but he knows as well as anybody that compelling doesn't do it for a lot of people. You simply cannot answer yes to that question without a crashed saucer or alien body in your possession or a riot of criticism is going to follow. And well, I don't believe they have either. So to avoid these embarrassing situations they are put into a position where they are forced to cover it up. If and when the American government or any government gets definitive proof of extraterrestrial visitation I think we'll find out about it soon afterward. But so long as interesting tidbits are the only things coming their way don't expect to be told a peep.

That's much more feasible than some wide reaching government cover-up. The important thing to keep in mind is that we really don't know. Asserting that the government knows we are being visited by extra-terrestrials (or whatever, it doesn't have to be aliens) is a huge jump in logic.

That's much more feasible than some wide reaching government cover-up. The important thing to keep in mind is that we really don't know. Asserting that the government knows we are being visited by extra-terrestrials (or whatever, it doesn't have to be aliens) is a huge jump in logic.

I never said that they do know. My assessment is that they don't. They are grasping at straws just like the rest of us. But I do think they have some better data than we do, especially when it comes to video, photos, and radar.

I never said that they do know. My assessment is that they don't. They are grasping at straws just like the rest of us. But I do think they have some better data than we do, especially when it comes to video, photos, and radar.

I know that - sorry that I wasn't clear in saying that you thought otherwise. I don't know about them having better data, but they may.

Like I said I don't think they will disclose anything, I am not an exopolitical guru.

and since they won't disclose then why worry about what they have

I think Leslie's lawsuit to get the NASA data on Kecksburg is a great example of a coverup. They have yet to produce the docs as ordered by the court. When Citizens Against UFO Secrecy sued the NSA on UFO docs, after proving that the original NSA claim of little to no docs was handily rebutted with proof that there were thousands more pages (identified through references from docs already received via FOIA), they were turned down by the judge after the NSA provided a briefing in chambers without them present. Just a couple of examples whereby gov has chosen to obfuscate access to docs that they first claimed they did not have and when confronted with their lies still failed to produce the materials.

I know that - sorry that I wasn't clear in saying that you thought otherwise. I don't know about them having better data, but they may.

Well, think about the better data thing for a minute. Consider the 1986 Japanese Airlines 747 flight UFO case. Had John Callahan not wryly have predicted what might happen to the evidence of the event and made copies of much of it we wouldn't have it right now because all of the originals were seized by the CIA and FBI. Now how many times has that happened where the witnesses have not been as clever?

Well, think about the better data thing for a minute. Consider the 1986 Japanese Airlines 747 flight UFO case. Had John Callahan not wryly have predicted what might happen to the evidence of the event and made copies of much of it we wouldn't have it right now because all of the originals were seized by the CIA and FBI. Now how many times has that happened where the witnesses have not been as clever?

Like I said, they may have better data, we just won't know for sure unless someone shows it to us, and if they can't show it to us because they have nothing, we won't know, and we'll keep on thinking that they're hiding something. And then it starts over. Okay, my head is spinning :)

Colbert Report interview re-sparks interest in 2006 O'Hare UFO sighting

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-chicago-ohare-ufo-htmlstory,0,2758675.htmlstory

What do I type into the old Googles to get it?" Colbert asked, his fingers tapping at an invisible keyboard.

"You can put in Chicago O'Hare and you'll get it... [and] UFO," Kean replied.

It appears someone out there did just that. According to Google Trends, the term "chicago o hare ufo" saw a spike in search volume Monday night.

The hubbub over the purported sighting brought back memories of the early days of 2007. According to site traffic reports, Jan. 1 story was -- and remains -- with 1.6 million pageviews to date, the single most popular story or column in the history of chicagotribune.com.

The hubbub over the purported sighting brought back memories of the early days of 2007. According to site traffic reports, Jan. 1 story was -- and remains -- with 1.6 million pageviews to date, the single most popular story or column in the history of chicagotribune.com.

Still can't believe no pictures were taken from cockpits or the control tower.... damn thing was hovering for a while. United Airlines employees were apparently told to hush up. Don't forget this was the Bush era and that this kind of breach in homeland security would have been perceived as failure.

A United manager said he ran outside his office in Concourse B after hearing the report about the sighting on an internal airline radio frequency.
“I stood outside in the gate area not knowing what to think, just trying to figure out what it was,” he said. “I knew no one would make a false call like that. But if somebody was bouncing a weather balloon or something else over O’Hare, we had to stop it because it was in very close proximity to our flight operations.”

At the minimum, there must be radar tracks of this you would think as well as recorded control tower conversations... security camera recordings maybe ?
ohare-ufo-11-07-2006.jpg

Hi All,
In our investigation of the OHare matter we did not find any radar data but that is consistent with UAP reports with an aviation component. The idea that if we don't detect UAP with radar they aren't there is probably not entirely accurate. Security cameras are not aimed skyward and the angle of observation put the object low in the field of view from the control tower. The United ramp controller called the atc folks about it but, if I recall correctly, the event had already ended....
We discuss the radar situation in the Project Sphere report.....

Hi All,
In our investigation of the OHare matter we did not find any radar data but that is consistent with UAP reports with an aviation component. The idea that if we don't detect UAP with radar they aren't there is probably not entirely accurate. Security cameras are not aimed skyward and the angle of observation put the object low in the field of view from the control tower. The United ramp controller called the atc folks about it but, if I recall correctly, the event had already ended....
We discuss the radar situation in the Project Sphere report.....

I thought that radar was set up now so that anything that doesn't behave like traditional aircraft is filtered out by software. If that's the case how would it be possible to track it on radar anyway?

Indeed, the animations used by ATC are "filtered" to represent transponder codes and those a/c that fly without transponders - US Military does this all the time though they aren't supposed to. Often, when in formation, only one will turn on a transponder. Sometimes ATC radar operators detect UAP like in the Ameriwest 564 case of 1995. Even NORAD detected that UAP and said so in its conversations with the ATC at Albequrque ARTCC. At the same time we have many examples of visual observations that were not detected by rapcon or other facilities.
We went to the FAA, via FOIA, and requested the hardcopy encrypted radar data that is collected initially by the radar sites (there are several around OHare) and, using known algorithms, reconstructed the radar scans for the time and location. We did find some very small returns from the general time and place but nothing that would confirm the presence of the UAP....
We have also documented a number of NMACS from a head on vector and found that the TCAS alarms never seem to trip so the question is whether or not UAP are detectable by the radars being used by both a/c and aviation facilities. In the Project Sphere report we suggest that those radars need to be improved to be able to detect UAP.
I personally wonder whether they are not detectable because of the density of the target, the shape of the target, energetic emissions from the target or a combination of any of the three....

Indeed, the animations used by ATC are "filtered" to represent transponder codes and those a/c that fly without transponders - US Military does this all the time though they aren't supposed to. Often, when in formation, only one will turn on a transponder. Sometimes ATC radar operators detect UAP like in the Ameriwest 564 case of 1995. Even NORAD detected that UAP and said so in its conversations with the ATC at Albequrque ARTCC. At the same time we have many examples of visual observations that were not detected by rapcon or other facilities.
We went to the FAA, via FOIA, and requested the hardcopy encrypted radar data that is collected initially by the radar sites (there are several around OHare) and, using known algorithms, reconstructed the radar scans for the time and location. We did find some very small returns from the general time and place but nothing that would confirm the presence of the UAP....
We have also documented a number of NMACS from a head on vector and found that the TCAS alarms never seem to trip so the question is whether or not UAP are detectable by the radars being used by both a/c and aviation facilities. In the Project Sphere report we suggest that those radars need to be improved to be able to detect UAP.
I personally wonder whether they are not detectable because of the density of the target, the shape of the target, energetic emissions from the target or a combination of any of the three....

You're going to know a lot more about radar than I do. It just seems to me that if the filters I mentioned actually exist than detecting these things on radar would be very difficult. Sounds like you'd have to get lucky enough for it to behave like a plane even if it isn't a plane at least for a short while for the radar to paint it. If it's zipping around or hovering or doing other things UFOs are commonly reported to do that would fall outside the flight characteristics of typical aircraft and would be filtered out, wouldn't it? That is if my understanding of these software filters is at all correct anyway. And I admit that my understanding is very limited. I'm just going by things I've heard, that radar is designed nowadays to filter out UFOs. Trying to get a sense from you just how much that software actually does filter out such things. It seems to me that with these filters in place skeptics are being a little irrational when they complain about no radar confirmation for certain cases. With those software filters in place it would take an enormous amount of luck for the UFO to be painted anyway.

Leslie Kean to take on Stephen Colbert!

I watched this Colbert show. I also listened to Leslie on Coast recently. I was impressed that she refused to give in to "Yeah, the Ufos are ETs", however, I was disapointed, that on Steven's show, she gave in to saying "The extraterrestrial hypothesis is a rational one..." Excuuuuse Meeeee?
You mean, (I.E.> "The Reptillians are at odds with the Nordics and their drones the Greys, while the Tall Greys and their Manti, repeatedly rape David Huggins, while abductees endure hybrid breeding craziness within those MILAB bases......."

I mean, I suppose that stuff could be going on, but does it sound rational, really?

@Eddie the Head...

Yes, if the UAP is moving fast and erratically it wouldn't necessarily "paint" and would likely be filtered out. If it isn't a dense object but rather a ball of light as a quantum system of some kind it may not reflect radar also. It could be that the type of radar used isn't necessarily effective for detecting them either. The guys at Hessdalen got one on radar but it was not an aviation radar and that was very interesting. At the same time, some kinds of UAP are clearly detected by aviation radars and ARTCCs like the Cactus 564 case that I mentioned.

I think Dr. Haines discusses this problem at the conclusion of the Project Sphere study and Martin Shough dedicates several megabytes to examining radar detections with respect to UAP as well.

I watched this Colbert show. I also listened to Leslie on Coast recently. I was impressed that she refused to give in to "Yeah, the Ufos are ETs", however, I was disapointed, that on Steven's show, she gave in to saying "The extraterrestrial hypothesis is a rational one..." Excuuuuse Meeeee?
You mean, (I.E.> "The Reptillians are at odds with the Nordics and their drones the Greys, while the Tall Greys and their Manti, repeatedly rape David Huggins, while abductees endure hybrid breeding craziness within those MILAB bases......."

Yes, well, that is one rather ridiculously hyperbolic interpretation of what the ET hypothesis represents. The other, as presented by someone like Michio Kaku, is that they would be as humans to our ants, and that they probably take no notice of us at all as they go about whatever business it is that they go about.

@Saucerwench (great handle by the way)

To suggest that the ETH is plausible has nothing to do with what the cottage industry of UFOlogy suggests or claims that means.... I know Leslie personally and am absolutely satisfied that she knows full well the difference between the nonsense promoted by Salla and the rest of the loonies and the ETH as it was suggested by Dr. McDonald, Donald Keyhoe, Hillenkoeter and even Michio Kaku....

Back