• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

July 19th, 2009 - Christopher O'Brien

VERY good point! Add a dash of neutralized gender specificity and an exchange of "trickster" roles and voila, humans are supplying the the trickster with the technology the trickster needs to wake, shake and bake! And then some!
2012 indeed…:eek:

It's been a while since I read into the "Trickster" character, but often, weren't the tricks used to either teach the subject a lesson or wisdom and other times facilitate a form of justice/revenge? I might be wrong on this, but I seem to remember reading and coming to that conclusion. It wasn't until Christianity got it's hands on the character that it became pure evil.

I mentioned this on another thread, so I'll say it here as well...

Chris is going to try and help me arrange a visit to Stanford in the next month or so - if Stanford is agreeable - so I can get a look at his material, and hopefully document some of his stuff. I'll keep everyone posted, and thanks again to Mr. O'Brien for his invaluable assistance in trying to make this happen.

Good news! Actually, I'm kind of jealous that you live closer to him (which sounds like the case) and will be able to see the pictures and his house full of dinosaur tracks.

I really enjoyed O'Brien's first book. Even if you're entirely skeptical about it

1.) He's open about his methods, which is rare, and welcome. I've recommended the book just for that.

2.) It's some really interesting stories and folklore

3.) It's a good read

The obvious thing to compare it with would be Hunt for the Skinwalker, and I'd recommend Mysterious Valley over that book easily. The other obvious comparison would be with Frank Salisbury's book The Utah UFO Display: A Biologist's Report, which is in the same part of the country as "Skinwalker" Ranch, and runs into the same mix of high strangeness. I've only browsed that book, I own a copy, but haven't sat down and read it like I should.

I briefly thought about assigning The Mysterious Valley to my Anthropology of the Paranormal class, but decided on some others, in part because the book is not readily in print and for a one-time summer class, I didn't want to mess around with making sure the students were able to get copies.

I found a video with ChristopherO'Brien. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9eafe_louis-therouxs-weird-weekends-ufo-h_shortfilms

A BBC2 production. In this the reporter hangs out with O'Brien and Mutilated Cattle. If you want to skip the really really crazy UFO People the reporter meets first (it's painful), start the video timecode at 8:35mins into it. I haven't watched it all yet. I just saw Christopher and thought it was a Paracast listener's duty to report... I'm watching O'Brien rock out with a really nice KORG Keyboard!

christopher o'brien said:
A BBC2 production. In this the reporter hangs out with O'Brien and Mutilated Cattle. If you want to skip the really really crazy UFO People the reporter meets first (it's painfully) start the video timecode at 8:35mins into it. I haven't watched it all yet. I just saw Christopher and thought it was a Paracast listeners duty to report....I'm watching O'Brien rock out with a really nice KORG Keyboard!

http://www.documentingreality.com/forum/attachments/f181/58304d1245309535-louis-therouxs-weird-weekends-ufos-louistheroux-ufos6.flv

Part 6 has the actual footage from the mute site. I was able to get a complete copy of the BBC's raw footage and transcribed the entire scene for my second book, Enter the Valley. Its pretty funny—Louis almost puked when the dog started licking the blood from the muted eye-socket. What wasn't funny is how difficult it was to get permission from the BBC to publish a transcript of the scene or how pissed off the rancher was that he'd lost one of his best cows. Out of the many colorful (rather kooky) characters Louis visited for this show, I was the only one that was able to provoke a serious tone from Louis, the glib comedian.

Looking at Chris's site again last night.

This is an extremely compelling image IMO:

greenieufo.jpg

Reminds me of that 1 fuzzy Ohare UFO photo that David/Jeff presented as credible with qualifiers...

oharephoto.jpg

Thanks spookyP.
btw, you have a rather anomalous spooky website. Whatz up with that? Tell us about you "students" and curriculum— btw: you can get as many low-cost used copies of the mysterious valley as you need on Amazon. But I do have numbers to crunch if you have any bored statistical mavens w/ skill… (?)
Thank you for acknowledging my 13 suggested rules of investigation for aspiring field investigators

Suggested rules of investigation (in the order I discovered them—back in '93):

—Controversial subjects generate polarized responses in the average person.

—Record or write down everything as soon as possible, no matter how inconsequential, or insignificant it might seem at the time.

—Always credit your sources and respect requests for anonymity.

—Always be ready for anything, anytime. Look for coincidences when investigating claims of the unusual. Often, there may be a synchronistic element at work.

—It is impossible to be too objective when scientifically investigating claims of the unusual.

—Always assume there is a mundane explanation until proven extraordinary.

—Appearances can be deceiving. There is always a possibly of more happening than meets the eye.

—If you publicize claims of the unusual, choose your words wisely for your "spin" may have tremendous influence.

—Media coverage of the unusual, because of its sensational nature, is often inaccurate and cannot be accepted as totally accurate by the investigator.

—The human mind, when faced with the unknown, reverts to basic primal symbols to rationalize its experience.

—When investigating claims of the unusual, one cannot reach conclusions based on intuition alone.

—There is a possibility that the (sub)culture itself may co-create manifestations of unexplained, individually-perceived phenomena.

—We must be extremely careful not to perpetrate our own beliefs, suspicions or actual experiences into the minds of those who want to have a "special" event happen in their lives.

Comments?

Taos, New Mexico, and I did indeed ask Chris about it.

dB

I'm from Kokomo, IN, and I'm not sure if anybody read about this or not but we used to have a phenomena here called the Kokomo Hum. I, apparently, am not sensitive to such atmospheric events as I never really heard it but I remember it being such a big deal. The local government brought in a special service to do infra-sound checks and all that. They came up with some suspicions about the local factories but couldn't actually pin it down, at least not that they said. In the end the hum seemed to go away on it's own as people stopped reporting on it.

Funny thing; I was told by a MUFON investigator at a paranormal convention two months ago that Kokomo sits on a "ley line" and is a hub for paranormal activity, including UFO sightings. I've lived in Kokomo all but five years of my life (and I'm OLD), and never once saw a UFO, even during the "Kokomo Bang" flap that occurred a few years back. I did partially witness that and what I saw did indeed look like flares but I was nearly a quarter of a mile or more away and was looking below some towering tree branches. My view wasn't that keen on the event.

I've read up on infra-sound and a little bit on accustics and am starting to speculate there is more to sound, vibration, and the paranormal then I had previously thought. I'll have to grab your book, Chris, and educate myself.

Again, thanks for the great episode, Chris. And David and Gene, too! I'm looking forward to your next visit.

J.

Thanks spookyP.
btw, you have a rather anomalous spooky website. Whatz up with that? Tell us about you "students" and curriculum— btw: you can get as many low-cost used copies of the mysterious valley as you need on Amazon. But I do have numbers to crunch if you have any bored statistical mavens w/ skill… (?)

I taught a course at Tulane University right after I graduated from grad school there, in 2007. It had a long title that when I've pitched it elsewhere got boiled down to Anthropology of the Paranormal (another university contracted for the course, but I had to pull out as I got a postdoc elsewhere that conflicted schedule wise). It was in their summer session, where grad students are allowed to submit course concepts. I was concerned that the department would not be pleased (my interest was known, but it wasn't the topic of my study), but they liked it, and in particular, one of the faculty later approached me and mentioned he had been friends with Grover Krantz (I emailed him the recent story on Krantz' bones being put on display at the Smithsonian). I had to really scramble to get the dozen or so students I had, because the administration did a terrible job advertising it (there was no description, and they shortened the title to Monster Hunters, so one of my students was actually a repeat from my world prehistory class, figuring I was giving a class on Pleistocene megafauna. He was pleased when he learned of the actual subjected). So I ended up putting a couple dozen flyers around campus with some iconic images of each of the major subjects. It worked well enough to make the class fly.

The basic point of the class was to examine a couple of different paranormal-oriented virtual (not electronic virtual, but dispersed and linked by interests and identity, and not just by geography or kin or something) communities to examine how they see things (which can be a multiple choice answer, obviously, which we talked about), the historical and cultural context, and how that interacts with knowledge production and science in the larger culture. Along the way, I'd also utilize this information to teach a bit of anthropological theory and concepts. And I'll tell you, I had better luck fitting data to theory with this stuff than I have with a lot of other subjects, on stuff like hegemony, doxa, subcultures, etc.

Anyway, we ended up using five texts. The "core" was A Very Short Introduction to Sociocultural Anthropology (that's the actual name). The meat of the course was Daegling's Bigfoot Exposed, Denzler's Lure of the Edge, and a book whose author I forget off the top of my head, Ghost Hunters of the South. We also looked at a historical example, Slayers and their Vampires: A Cultural History of Killing the Dead, which isn't exactly the same, but it fit in a key part of the relationship between the paranormal and science (I argued, for example, that the idea of say Bigfoot would have a better chance at being widely accepted in say 1950 than 1750 due to the Enlightenment, colonialism, etc.).

One would consider me a skeptic, but that was not the point of the class. The point was to examine how people changed and changed with the various ideas about these experiences, and how the larger society did the same. Some of the class did indeed change their ideas about some of these topics (in particular, Bigfoot did not fare well, people largely didn't move their opinions much on ghosts or UFOs, nor even really MJ-12 though there I did actually try to show the likelihood of a hoax).

I thought about using Mysterious Valley largely for the reflexivity, the discussion of methods and practices that you brought to the table. I decided that with it out of print, that it would be better to go with other more general books. Also, while I do like your book and recommend it, as I noted, I was interested for the course in the methods section, I figured assigning the whole book wasn't going to work for that course. I thought about putting that one section on reserve, but I ran out of time (I had a lot on my plate back then).

The students were an interesting mix. A few were typical students, others returning, some were employees who thought the course sounded interesting and used their semester alloted course tuition waiver to take it. One was a former NOPD cop (who had some experiences and stories about ghosts and chupacabras), another had been in the military (and was interested in MJ-12). One was ... odd, and several students complained about them asking some fairly ridiculous questions, including some where he'd incorporate things from science fictional tv shows (which I recognized) as scientific or historical fact. They were frustrated that I gave short shrift to ghost hunting, which was partly due to my inability to muster much enthusiasm on the topic, and partly because they really slowed down my schedule with long drawn out round-table discussions (especially on Bigfoot, there was real fascination there, and like I said, some real disappointment when some of them were, for the first time really sitting down and thinking about the biology involved and some of the evidence, and deciding they didn't believe in the creature anymore). This was good of course, the level of interaction was superb, and the last day of class, I turned it over to them, each giving a conference-style presentation on something we had not covered in class.

Had it been a regular class of only 18-22 year old pre-law and pre-med students, I don't think it would have gone over as well, as there would have been less interest than this group, which sort of self-selected rather than trying to find a class to fill a requirement, there probably would have been more interest in pop culture (and I'm not going to lie, when I have proposed the course in a few job applications, I've noted that angle, even though we studiously stayed away from it in the course), and there would have been less life experience brought to the table, which did improve the class.

Oh, and thanks for the note on the blog. I haven't updated in a long while sadly. I'm going to have a little more time on my hands soon (yeah, that means what it sounds like), so I might start up again.

And now my 2 cents. Agree with all the others who really enjoyed this show. Mr. O'Brien seems like he really has had his share of interesting events. I would also like to add that his suggestion of Ray Stanford for a guest is a great idea. What a life that guy has led.

Great episode! It really hit home because I met the guest.

I visited Crestone, CO in the spring of '01. I was on assignment for a TV station in Europe. (Pre-production for a possible segment on a show.) My main contact and interest was Mrs. Hanne Strong.

I also attended one of Mr. O'Brien's lectures. Later on that evening a mutual friend took me to his house and we spoke for a few minutes. Mr. O'Brien was battling a bad cold at the time and will probably not remember the meeting. I found him to be honest and humble.

Crestone, especially the Baca Grande, is without any doubt the most anomalous place I've ever visited. I am convinced that there are locations on this planet that have a different energy signature. Crestone is high on that list!

Things that I found fascinating relating to the area:

- Everybody! I talked to has seen a UAP of some sort. That percentage is noteworthy.

- I was told by a Caribbean chef who worked at my hotel that he was not surprised to see that many orbs. According to him they are manifestations of sorcery and well known in the West Indies.

- Hopi Indian Prophesy regarding ant people. (Please ask Mr. O'Brien to elaborate next time).

- Native American interaction with ET (According to Mrs. Strong).

- Great Sand Dunes National Monument, the tallest sand dunes in North America. The creation of the dunes is not 100% clear.

- Number of VIPs that own houses in the area.

- Number of religious/spiritual organisations that have established a "center".

- I have a feeling, based on an experience hours after arrival in the village, that the real mystery is literally below the surface ...

It would be worth interviewing Mrs. Strong for 2 hrs. She is the founder of the Manitou Foundation: The Manitou Foundation

Hey Christopher,
Were you a guest several years ago on the Louis Theroux Show "Weird Weekends" ?
If so, how did you find that experience?

Hey Christopher,
Were you a guest several years ago on the Louis Theroux Show "Weird Weekends" ?
If so, how did you find that experience?

From Paracast thread—page 9

Part 6 [link at prior post] has the actual footage from the mute site. I was able to get a complete copy of the BBC's raw footage and transcribed the entire scene for my second book, Enter the Valley. Its pretty funny—Louis almost puked when the dog started licking the blood from the muted eye-socket. What wasn't funny is how difficult it was to get permission from the BBC to publish a transcript of the scene or how pissed off the rancher was that he'd lost one of his best cows. Out of the many colorful (rather kooky) characters Louis visited for this show, I was the only one that was able to provoke a serious tone from Louis, the glib comedian.

Don't have time to read 10 pages here, but just wanted to say that this was one of the best episodes of the Paracast ever, very interesting subjects and guest.

It also made me think to mention that there should be a way to rate the episodes, perhaps a 5-star system like Blockbuster and Netflix uses. This way when you look through the show list on the front page, you know which are the fan's favs and which stink on ice. Also it would help you remember which ones you've listened to.

Thirding & fourthing the praises for this episode.

I visited the San Luis Valley several times in the early 1990s (my girlfriend at the time was from Manassa, CO) and damn near everyone there had an odd experience or two to relate, even if it was just knowing someone with a mutilated cow or seeing a unfamiliar light in the sky. It's a strange place with a couple of places that really put the Ghost in ghost town. (the town of San Luis still kinda creeps me out)

Is that "UFO Observation Tower" still there in Hooper?

Back