• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

is this normal?

wongwq

Paranormal Novice
several times this happened to me.. I was sleeping, then I wake up seeing myself sleeping but from a partial view, i.e. just up to my body, can't see my head, sometimes i feel my brain being electrocuted, then something or some force is taking me away,/ taking me up but I am resisting. A lot of times this happens but now this lessened...

Regarding the feeling of electrocution - have you felt this in waking states at any point in your life? If so, where in your body? Are you a mediator by any chance?

Before even thinking about anything paranormal i´d visit a doctor and get a CT scan

On point, Germany comes through with an armchair intervention. A few words of caution.

I'm wondering if it might be more helpful to listen a little more closely before sending some off to visit their friendly neighborhood neurologist. Being in the mental health field, I have seen a soaring distrust of alternate states of consciousness, swiftly damning them into the realm of categorical psychopathology. I'm not going to get into a tet-a-tet with somebody I'm assuming orbits outside the profession, but I'd say this: Such distrust is founded in a psycho-biological model that places intervention solely in the hands of an environmental support (such as with a medical professional). Plenty of evidence and sentiment has been expressed by many in the psychological and psychiatric community that the impulse to deem such states as being symptomatic of pathology may be misguided in some cases, not all but many. Process-oriented or Systems-oriented psychology views some of these states as a reflection of a deeper integration and self actualization process. To put it briefly, I don't take such knee-jerk suggestions lightly as I've seen many a person experiencing these subtle states of consciousness led down some pretty rocky roads by people whom are fearing the worst, which most often translates to early interventions involving medication, pathologization, and beyond. Depending on the psychic health and state of the individual, alternative approaches that look to expand or express these processes may prove to be more helpful in the longterm as it acknowledges an integration process, as opposed to automatically constricting the experience through the imposition a treatment paradigm. Early intervention is the operative norm in the psychiatric community and popular treatments often subject a person to medication and regimens that ultimately work to restrict such processes that may be working to promote a greater sense of integration and psychic well-being.

Yeah, that's allot of words to say "slow down there Tonto," but I feel this has become a mantra of sorts to folks in the paranormal community whom may of not taken the time to consider the breath and scope of the deep issues that are part and parcel to understanding the professional psychological landscape. Ultimately, this boils down to laypersons willy nilly glomming onto ideas and solutions that make them more comfortable, but they are really not versed or trained to be offering advice that may not be in the best interests of the person at hand.

These early interventions (neurologists, psych evals, etc.) may be necessary in the right cases, however you kind of have to know what you're looking for and what it looks like behind the doors of the mental health community before you can assess the potential risks for a person having these types of experiences.

sry Hotkafka, but i don´t have the slightest clue if you´re agreeing or disagreeing with me :question:

All i´m saying is imo it would be wise to see a doc if you´re having hallucinations, feeling an electrical sensation, tingling etc
On a side note, a friend of mine had similar symptoms a week later he had a stroke.
So meh i guess.

sry Hotkafka, but i don´t have the slightest clue if you´re agreeing or disagreeing with me :question:

All i´m saying is imo it would be wise to see a doc if you´re having hallucinations, feeling an electrical sensation, tingling etc
On a side note, a friend of mine had similar symptoms a week later he had a stroke.
So meh i guess.

Naturally we assume that things are going wrong. For you, you hear the guy feels electricity, experiences alternate states of consciousness, he must be having some variety of meltdown, i.e. psychological, neurological, biological, etc. and mostly because you had a friend who had a stroke. But you have to put these experiences in context. Forgetting that this person is talking about states that were achieved around sleeping and meditation kind of decries an instinct to pathologize certain types of experiences. And that's kind of my point. I'm just saying, bringing what appear to be experiences with alternate states of consciousness to a busy medical professional may involve some risk -as they are trained to quickly stick you in a box. Certainly, in this case, if you're concerned that this person might be experiencing the symptoms of a stroke that happens to have persisted for years, and this guy buys that concern, well.. Yeah, then go see a doctor.

several times this happened to me.. I was sleeping, then I wake up seeing myself sleeping but from a partial view, i.e. just up to my body, can't see my head, sometimes i feel my brain being electrocuted, then something or some force is taking me away,/ taking me up but I am resisting. A lot of times this happens but now this lessened...

I agree with the others, you should get checked out by a Doctor.

HOWEVER, I can remember at least three times having something similar to what you are describing, but it was years ago.
It happened when I was very tired and tried to sleep longer than I usually did to catch up.
I was dosing, knowing I was half asleep/awake, aware of my surroundings.
I felt waves of tingle/shiver like feelings very strongly throughout my body, LIKE electricity, but not painful.
It was kind of scary because I couldn't wake up from it for a bit.
The last time was at least 15 years ago, and I suffered no ill effects, but I'm not you.

I'd get checked out just to be on the safe side.

Was he using some sort of paranormal sales technique? I didn't even notice he was selling anything.

As soon as someone is banned, the signature is removed. I had a feeling of what he was doing with all the random posts, but there was nothing overt. Last night he added the spam links to his signature and I banned him.

Back