• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

In your opinion, who/what is God ?

apparently humans are the only living creatures that need a god to believe in. why is that?

apparently humans are the only living creatures that need a god to believe in. why is that?

How do you know? I look at some of Jane Goodalls work with apes and chimps and I swear she might even disagree with you. :p I do know she came to a "spiritual" outlook (in some sense) of the worth of these creatures. Maybe evolution is a part of the spritual growth as well as the observed enviroment of species. I don't beleive that one way or the other but I'm just putting it out there.

I'm pretty sure that Global Warming is caused by atheists and the alien overlords who are bent on taking over the earth. :p<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig -->

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

O Lord! I hope I don't regret saying "global warming" around Pixel and Angel. :p

How do you know? I look at some of Jane Goodalls work with apes and chimps and I swear she might even disagree with you. :p I do know she came to a "spiritual" outlook (in some sense) of the worth of these creatures. Maybe evolution is a part of the spritual growth as well as the observed enviroment of species. I don't beleive that one way or the other but I'm just putting it out there.

I'm pretty sure that Global Warming is caused by atheists and the alien overlords who are bent on taking over the earth. :p<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig -->

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

O Lord! I hope I don't regret saying "global warming" around Pixel and Angel. :p

Nah, in this thread, we're discussing something that Pixel and I agree on.

I poispfully didn't answer. :p I'm protesting cause I type my widdle fangers to da bone and you pick out one little thing. Buuuttt, whut about my sub genius flow of thought hmmmm? Instead ya wanna know why I called "some" athiest religious. It could be that the gentleman (damn I wish I could remember his name cause he really was an intelligent person) Anyway, it could be that's what "he" said. Actually, it is. :cool:

I am extremely grateful to live in a country and a time where I have the freedom to believe what I care to about these matters and express it openly without having to put up some pretense for fear of persecution. That isn't the case world-wide.

Confused about God, religion? Say no more, because..., have I got a religion for you!!
http://www.quantumconsciousness.org/

The premise from the above is:

"Most explanations portray the brain as a computer, with nerve cells ("neurons") and their synaptic connections acting as simple switches. However computation alone cannot explain why we have feelings and awareness, an "inner life."

My response is to agree, "computation alone" can't do it, but signal processing combined with sensory input and biochemical reactions that produce neuro feedback can and do ... we're the living proof.

j.r.

My response is to agree, "computation alone" can't do it, but signal processing combined with sensory input and biochemical reactions that produce neuro feedback can and do ... we're the living proof.
Yeah, well, kinda... I think there's a bit more to it. The non-computable part is probably the most important.

Yeah, well, kinda... I think there's a bit more to it. The non-computable part is probably the most important.

In considering the picture, we have to consider the whole picture. Our amazing signal processing power is only one component of the entire organism we call a human being. But we're getting way off track on what this "God" question is about.

j.r.

that's the forum for you. We start out on one subject and kind of morph into other stuff. It's good though and keeps the posters on their toes. Anyway, I can talk until your blue in the face and still not figure out the God question. :p I do like the way different takes and opinions are presented. I'm gonna explore the link softbeard posted when I get home.

Watever one puts enough belief in.

Something/somewhat created our yet known, and unknown for that matter, Universe, whatever made it happen is the greatest mistery of all and it will stay that way I reckon. Looking for a reason is fun and terrifying at the same time though.

Not to sound too pathetic here, but 'belief' in anything (really) can do tremendous things, mostly on a psychological/personal level. For once, who are we on this little mothball to claim that the dude from that book did it in seven days ?

"God is a concept by which we measure our pain". ~John Lennon. I am not quite so cynical, but there is much truth in this. The search for God usually comes down to a search for the cause of human suffering.

To the Buddhist--There is no way to define a god as something separate from one's own consciousness. Seek God, and you will eventually meet yourself.

Historically in organized religion--God is a way to define the tribe to which one is pledged and to which one belongs. (i.e. The Protestant alter call never happens without a crowd). I use this example because it reflects my own upbringing. This is also why monotheistic religions, such as Christianity and Islam, have historically gone to war--to fight for their tribe's God. On the positive side, this also provides deep seated tribal cohesion and mutual support.

Personally, I see God as the sentient universe, or universes. All sentient beings, or sentient processes, are a subset of God--splinters if you like. Refer to Jung and Heinlein.

To the Buddhist--There is no way to define a god as something separate from one's own consciousness. Seek God, and you will eventually meet yourself.

This is so close to where I have come to in my search. However, I also have reason to believe I am a "son/daughter/aspect" of the Devine mind/consciuoness. But, to be honest I am in my fifties and still learning and growing and thinking about these things. The great thing about Buddism is I can respect and even use some of the disciplines without losing myself or my own way of worship/meditating. The great thing about Christianity is that "God" would come to this great suffering rowdy doomed mess of creatures and partake in the doom and suffering to show it's just a stop along the path. The great thing about Agnosticm is I can honestly question my motives and religions motives without the cold sterile "nothingness" of reductionism. The bad thing about religion is the fanaticsm that tries to manipulate and exploit people for the benifit of the "church",moquse,temple or leadership." In the end it's a great big mystery. I am coming to the point of thinking that each of us as an individual have to take our own repsonsibility to meet that mystery. I don't think God/universe/being/nothingness much cares what religious tag you put on your building. I can list why I'm not a fundimentilist Christian and also why I'm not an atheist. But, at the end of the day I'm not responsible for converting or beating everybody else over the head with a Bible or the Origin of Species or the Koran. I am going to leave here and then when I do, maybe, this will be the "dream" and I'll wake up. :cool:

I propose another more interesting question...

Q: Does God have a soul?

I already imagine some will write volumes trying to answer this without actually answering with a definitive "yes" or "no." The profundity of the question will be clear only if one doesn't evade the question.

Back