• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

In your opinion, who/what is God ?

"God" represents the only presumed-to-be sentient entity who's very definition excludes itself from existence.

Explanation:
Notice I did not add a domain for which God could exist. This is due to the very definition of God as the "creator of all existing things"
Also, the presumption of sentience is stated such because in of the clumsy assertions predicating omniscience (all-knowing) to God. It is impossible for a being to be all-knowing and have any experience of "awareness"--as the notions of awareness/consciousness depend precisely on the particular experience of not-knowing something.

Proposition: For all beings in the universe, sentience implies not-all-knowing and all-knowing implies non-sentience.

Proposition: A being that is the source of all existent beings cannot itself possess being.

Proposition: For all beings in the universe, sentience implies not-all-knowing and all-knowing implies non-sentience.

I think the first proposition is limited. You can't say what sentience implies for all beings simply because we don't know if we know "all" beings. However, the second one is the one I find interesting.

A being that is the source of all existent beings cannot itself possess being.

this is where I have been kind of going to an extent with my thinking lately. God is not a thing or a he/she. God does not possess being. God is. I am. So, (maybe, but I honestly don't know) God is consciouness itself. Perhaps we are all truly aspects of this consciousness. It's kind of like (Be kind I"m not a scientist and I am not a physicist) But, maybe it's kind of like the quantom level where something reacts or has meaning only when consciousness is brought to bear on it. The universe was nothing and then God/Consciouness "noticed" and so matter springs from consciouness or "intent" and not the other way around. Maybe we are "evolving" upward and the body will be shed as consciouness continues. I honestly don't know. Sometime I honestly feel God in the traditioinal sense and I pray. Sometime I feel the things I just shared and your post jump started. I honestly never felt and still never feel that it's all an accident or a evolutionary by product. Anyway, what/who is God? Good question. Once I determine who/what I am I might be better able to answer it. But, the second proposition really went along with some things I have already been considering.

I think the first proposition is limited. You can't say what sentience implies for all beings simply because we don't know if we know "all" beings. However, the second one is the one I find interesting.

A being that is the source of all existent beings cannot itself possess being.

this is where I have been kind of going to an extent with my thinking lately. God is not a thing or a he/she. God does not possess being. God is. I am. So, (maybe, but I honestly don't know) God is consciouness itself. Perhaps we are all truly aspects of this consciousness. It's kind of like (Be kind I"m not a scientist and I am not a physicist) But, maybe it's kind of like the quantom level where something reacts or has meaning only when consciousness is brought to bear on it. The universe was nothing and then God/Consciouness "noticed" and so matter springs from consciouness or "intent" and not the other way around. Maybe we are "evolving" upward and the body will be shed as consciouness continues. I honestly don't know. Sometime I honestly feel God in the traditioinal sense and I pray. Sometime I feel the things I just shared and your post jump started. I honestly never felt and still never feel that it's all an accident or a evolutionary by product. Anyway, what/who is God? Good question. Once I determine who/what I am I might be better able to answer it. But, the second proposition really went along with some things I have already been considering.

Regarding my first proposition, I've actually spent a huge amount of time thinking this one through...I invite you to read through one of my gather.com posts for more explanations (the thread commentary is interesting as well) -- regarding your notes on the I-determination before God-determination, I'll have to chew on that a bit...

"Grounds for Awareness and Consciousness"
http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474977624693

Once I determine who/what I am I might be better able to answer it. But, the second proposition really went along with some things I have already been considering.

This is one thing I've struggled with on a regular basis -- so much for my own determination of my own being (which semantically doesn't make sense--as my own consciousness and sense of self-awareness depends on a flux of events and processes which integrate myself with the surrounding world--and even that very description is full of mistaken symbols)

Concentrating on consciousness involves my own "phenomenal self-model" (borrowing Thomas Metzinger's term) pre-figuring the very ground for which the figure emerges (that figure is my "idea" of my own consciousness). So already I have stepped myself into a nice hall of mirrors with a 1,000,000 candela light beam.

More to come...

Take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvY7NGncCgU

God is awesome in the truest sense of the word, He's light,love,spirit, He's the Father in the Trinity, the creator of all things, and well, one could go on an on as God has many many attributes.
He has no beginning and no end, whereas, He has always existed. There's never been a time when He didn't exist. This brings to mind the concept of our existence. We know we have a beginning but do we have an end? I think not, as the second law of thermodynamics says you can't create or destroy energy, and after all we are energy right, so at least from a physics point of view we will continue to exist in one form or another. Ok, I think I'm getting a bit off track here, so I'll leave it there :)

If I presume the standard definition of God as the Supreme being with all the attributes and benefits associated with that then God is an impossibility. God is something that exceeds the subset of knowledge available to human beings. God belongs to the superset and therefore is incomprehensible to the subset. You cannot describe the superset of the Alphabet for example, by only using the vowels. Therefore none of the concepts of God we have imagined or can even possibly conceive of could possibly represent the reality of the superset being we imagine as God.

That's where my head has been on the subject for awhile now.

wow. we completely agree on something.

Apart from conspiracy theories and global warming, I'm sure there's tons of stuff we agree on. I used to do Tae Kwon Do until I hurt my knees, I use Macs, I love photography, and I play the blues on piano and on guitar - there's plenty of common ground there... And we agree on the concept of god.

God is awesome in the truest sense of the word, He's light,love,spirit, He's the Father in the Trinity, the creator of all things, and well, one could go on an on as God has many many attributes.
He has no beginning and no end, whereas, He has always existed. There's never been a time when He didn't exist.

Where are you getting this information from?

Back