• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

How to Tell S**t from Shinola

The point is this.. If it (religion) is a matter of faith then all well and good I can not touch you but if it is to be put forward as a matter of fact then it needs to be defended with evidence to back up such claims.

so if you have faith that Jesus is the son of God risen from the dead for example then that is fine for faith requires no foundation in reality. But if say for example one says "It is a fact that Jesus is the son of god risen from the dead" then evidence is required to show that (a) he is the son of a deity (b) he really did come back from the dead.

The point is this.. If it (religion) is a matter of faith then all well and good I can not touch you but if it is to be put forward as a matter of fact then it needs to be defended with evidence to back up such claims.

so if you have faith that Jesus is the son of God risen from the dead for example then that is fine for faith requires no foundation in reality. But if say for example one says "It is a fact that Jesus is the son of god risen from the dead" then evidence is required to show that (a) he is the son of a deity (b) he really did come back from the dead.
I take offense when the beliefs creep into politics. What is that saying? Even if an idea is not true, if people believe it is true the outcome can be the same as if it was true. It will affect you just the same. What about the monetary aspect: Is it possible to buy your way to Heaven?

I take offense when the beliefs creep into politics. What is that saying? Even if an idea is not true, if people believe it is true the outcome can be the same as if it was true. It will affect you just the same. What about the monetary aspect: Is it possible to buy your way to Heaven?

Like you I am a firm believer in the separation of church and state and long may it remain so where I live.

As to buy your way to heaven I have no idea for it would require a belief in a heaven to start with which I do not have. But say for argument sake it is possible to be dead for three days and then come back to life after going through one of the nastiest forms of execution man has ever come up with then I guess anything is possible.

Like you I am a firm believer in the separation of church and state and long may it remain so where I live.

As to buy your way to heaven I have no idea for it would require a belief in a heaven to start with which I do not have. But say for argument sake it is possible to be dead for three days and then come back to life after going through one of the nastiest forms of execution man has ever come up with then I guess anything is possible.
I would never state something just to be sarcastic!:D

tumblr_l2wkke86Li1qz4uwlo1_500.jpg

And yes the concept of buying your way to heaven is one the catholics cooked up

However, the later Middle Ages saw the growth of considerable abuses. Greedy commissaries sought to extract the maximum amount of money for each indulgence.[39] Professional "pardoners"[4] (quaestores in Latin) - who were sent to collect alms for a specific project - practiced the unrestricted sale of indulgences. Many of these quaestores exceeded Church teachings, whether in avarice or ignorant zeal, and promised impossible rewards like salvation from eternal damnation in return for money.[37] With the permission of the Church, indulgences also became a way for Catholic rulers to fund expensive projects, such as Crusades and cathedrals, by keeping a significant portion of the money raised from indulgences in their lands.[37] There was a tendency to forge documents declaring that indulgences had been granted.[37] Indulgences grew to extraordinary magnitude, in terms of longevity and breadth of forgiveness.

Basically in the middle ages you could sin your arse off if you were rich, you then paid for an indulgence and did it all over again.

And yes the concept of buying your way to heaven is one the catholics cooked up

Basically in the middle ages you could sin your arse off if you were rich, you then paid for an indulgence and did it all over again.

Yeah I always found that bit of religious history ironic.. but then again is it that much different today?

Its fun to stay at the Y M C A.......

Nobody resents the negative consequences religion has had on the world than I do. It is criminal to indoctrinate children into religion. Religion is part of the system used to control people. Religious organizations that step outside the bounds of conventional institutionalized religion are not embraced by the establishment. The world would be better off to cast aside ancient superstitions and discover a new paradigm of reality. Mob rule does not follow the rules of logic. Are there people who would like to crucify me? Yes. For the sake of argument let's say Jesus Christ did exist. If Jesus Christ returned today; they would crucify him again!

Back