• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

How to Tell S**t from Shinola

Excellent videos
The point in the second one about creating a fantasy scenario to deal with death is spot on.

People for some reason have an aversion to being honest, and saying "i dont know" when they dont know.

So religions are were the gap filler, how did the universe get here........ when these books were written the honest answer was " i dont know", but rather than admit ignorance they say "god did it"
How did man and all the animals get here..... god did it

What happens when we die....... god takes you to heaven.

Talking to the god squad, is like listening to a group of 4 year olds describe santa, and where he lives and his reindeer and magic ability to squeeze his fat arse down an 8 inch wide chimney......

Children can be forgiven for this mindset, They have been brainwashed to believe its true, and are not yet mentally proficient enough to recognise the logical fallacy in the narrative.

Adults on the other hand.......

our culture is now programmed not to notice how strange and empty it is
2:10ish mark of the vid below

But at the end of the day belief in an imaginary being IS delusional, be it santa or god.

As the author of this vid says
the permission religious people give one another to believe things strongly on bad evidence

That is indeed the kind of faith that should be criticised, wether that is faith that billy meiers photos are genuine or that god is real, or that santa knows if your naughty or nice.

Humanitys mental integrity should be better than blind faith, it should be able to spot bad evidence, programming ourselves not to do this, brainwashing the next generation into choosing blind faith over the evidence is bad for the individual, and bad for the species

Being able to tell shit from shinola is essential to our advancement as a species, and we should have no tolerance for those who piss on our shoes and tell us its raining

Absolute and totally awesome posts Mike :)

I can not agree with you more that there is a lack of critical thinking when it comes to ones "holy ox".

I had to remind a dear friend of mine who is very religious (Christian) that his church priest knows no more about what happens after death than either he or I do.
The lack of frank honesty is what gets my back up as no one knows for sure and to say you do is an out right lie.

This kid here scares me:

Lack of education? Brain washing? lack of critical thinking? lack of a basic understanding of the topic at hand .....

I think it is all of thee above.

He has a long and fulfulling career sorting plastic from glass at his local recycling centre ahead of him.

:D

His intellectual dishonesty rears its head within seconds, he wants to make a video about irrational things...... but truth be told he wants to make a video about atheisim, why not just own that and say so.

he doesnt understand it he doesnt get it he doesnt like it..... last time i looked not liking something you dont understand is irrational

deprived of reason. 2. without or deprived of normal mental clarity

If he doesnt understand it doesnt "get it" what reason does he have to not like it ? deprived of reason much ?

So here he is offering an opinion on something he himself admits he doesnt understand..........

He invalidates his right to an opinion right there.

Last time i checked my chickens dont talk to their eggs either.... But i'll ask em next time im collecting the eggs, just to be sure.

He clearly and by his own admission doesnt have a clue, which pretty much leaves us with brainwashed parrot as an answer

He has a long and fulfulling career sorting plastic from glass at his local recycling centre ahead of him.

:D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA .. that made me fall off my chair !!!

I feel sorry for the boy really.. Some one told him "Pick up a science book, any book and grow up a little more"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA .. that made me fall off my chair !!!

I feel sorry for the boy really.. Some one told him "Pick up a science book, any book and grow up a little more"

It would be funny if it wasnt as sad as it is true, given the right programming he has had the same potential as any of us, but instead hes been programmed to believe in imaginary beings, and that the universe is built by magic.

Its such a waste of potential

I feel sorry for him too.

That is the whole crux of the argument I guess and why I to fight against religious dogma. I really do not have a problem with peoples beliefs but the moment as I have said before is causes harm then we have a problem.

The thing is it causes harm from the very start, and I have to wounder how many potentially great minds have been poisoned from childhood by what amounts to fairy tales.

I like that clip very much, esp the outakes from inherit the wind, one of my favourite movies.
And that movies illustrates very well, how much damage can be done by institutionalised ignorance.

and the pic of Falwell

I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won't have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them. What a happy day that will be!-- Rev Jerry Falwell

The crux of the problem

Good Christians, like slaves and soldiers, ask no questions.-- Rev Jerry Falwell,

The Bible is the inerrant ... word of the living God. It is absolutely infallible,without error in all matters pertaining to faith and practice, as well as in areas such as geography, science, history, etc.-- Jerry Falwell,

It appears that America's anti-Biblical feminist movement is at last dying, thank God, and is possibly being replaced by a Christ-centered men's movement which may become the foundation for a desperately needed national spiritual awakening.-- Jerry Falwell

AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals.-- Jerry Falwell

That is the whole crux of the argument I guess and why I to fight against religious dogma. I really do not have a problem with peoples beliefs but the moment as I have said before is causes harm then we have a problem.

The thing is it causes harm from the very start, and I have to wounder how many potentially great minds have been poisoned from childhood by what amounts to fairy tales.

Im the same, i dont like seeing any cult, brainwash its members and take their money.

As George Carlin said in a clip i posted in the nazareth thread, these guys make billions of tax free dollars.....but they always need a little more.......

But its in their interests to keep the sheep ignorant, that way they pay up without question

Good Christians, like slaves and soldiers, ask no questions.-- Rev Jerry Falwell,

When you list it like that it makes me feel sick

It is sickening, its institutionalised ignorance, And its used to fleece the flock.
I have a sister in law who is a "simple" soul, she sold her house and began giving the money to the church when she "found" god, and just like $cientology when the money ran out...... she got booted to free up a chair for some sucker with money to give.

How many millions does it cost to build a crystal cathedral

The $18 million Crystal Cathedral opens in Garden Grove as the largest religious structure in the state. It is the largest religious structure in the state.

12.6% of their projected 2007 income of $39,260,000.00 goes to it's upkeep - that's $4,946,760.00 for 2007.

I saw another pulpit jockey asking for donations for a lear jet for his ministry, with donations over 10,000 bucks earning a plaque with your name on it up the back of the plane..........

"God knows how much youve got...... and god knows how much we need it......" send your pledge today.......

True enough Mike.

I will add for those that read this thread that in general I am not running down any one religion as I personally see them as all poison in their own way.
There has never been a better way to stunt the development of the human condition than religion as far as I am concerned and the tenacity that the fervent follower of this or that deity will do whatever it takes to maintain its chosen dogma frightens me no end.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell

Sums it up in a nut shell

My sister also found god "again" or as they call it born again. She was going through a hard patch with divorce etc and had a mental melt down. Now all I get if I talk to her is have you found god yet, or you must find god and give all you have to the church so you can be saved.

Saved from what? and I did not know the guy was lost! :)

She was always a Christian but now its 100 fold worse than it ever was. I was kicked out of the family for renouncing my family's chosen dogma but I have no regrets for my mind is free and I have no need of their poison.

Sorry that was a bit blunt but its the truth.

Sagan now there is a mind that is sorely missed these days.

The Universe is an extremely big place and to think you have all the answers because a book written by what amounts to desert sheep herders tells you so is delusional and arrogant in the extreme.

I know I have said that before but I find myself repeating it more and more these days..

No one has all the answers it is true and neither will you find them all in science, but at least with science you have a chance to gain an understanding and not fall back on "I don't know.. then GOD must have done it"

Similar story, got divorced, found fellowship in the local con shop, took her for everything she had.

My wife is one of 12 children of the two (including this one) who are hard core god botherers, they are oddly enough the poor ones, The others all have homes cars and jobs.
These two live hand to mouth week to week on welfare...... they bust their behinds on gods behalf, but it doesnt pay very well.

She is so hard core that easter is pagan, Xmas is saturnalia etc etc, her poor kids are social outcasts in their peer group, her youngest getting the shit beat out of him by his muslim classmates for insisting they were going to hell.
He got chucked out of school for refusing to enter a classroom with an Xmas tree in it......

So now he's flipping burgers at Macdonalds, and when he turns 18....... well recycling is a booming industry .......... theres a job sorting paper from plastic waiting for him.

Another life wasted in the name of a fantasy........

Its like watching the destruction of drug addiction without the drugs, it really is the opiate of the masses, and every bit as destructive

Back