• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Hey space fans... Any questions for our resident skeptic Lance Moody?

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member
Paracast forum participant Lance Moody has agreed to grace us with a special guest appearance on the Paracast! For the record: we consider self-proclaimed "skeptic" Lance to be one of our most valued participants on the Paracast Forum and we look forward to finally having the chance to engage, one-on-two w/one of our more enigmatic forum participants. We're sure there will be many questions posted for Lance by forum members and we'll address as many of them as possible. Please post your questions here...

Lance, are there any cases that make you even wonder that there might be something to Ufology?

What is your take on the fact that the military's of many nations ostensibly study UFOs? (as in, do you think it was in response to public hysteria or clever manipulation to shroud secret aircraft etc).

Name some of the worst offenders (in your opinion) of pedlars of pure B.S ufo-related info.

I really can't get over you calling Leslie Kean zealous, you know. I think she has every right to be upset about the way things like the COMETA report or the statements of very believable people like Major General de Brouwer get played down and ridiculed by her collegues in the media. So where does justified contempt end and zealousness begin?

I can relate to people being annoyed by obvious charlatans, hoaxters or true believers. But how is the "justified contempt" debunkers feel in these cases any better than Mrs. Kean's alleged zealousness, especially if it's a case where it's quite obvious that none of the aforementioned people are involved, but instead it's credible witnesses and solid citizens?

Hi Gene, Chris and Lance : Season Greetings:) ,

Q.1 Lance what's your thoughts on Sleep Paralysis and don't you think this is to narrow explanation of the reason some people experience strange awareness ? How much does science know about the brain?

Q.2 Hypothetical question for all how much does science know about the universe ?

Q3.Lance you reason for taking a interests in this field of enquiry and thanks for revealing academic fraudsters?

Q.4 Chris , have you researched anymore about the old newspaper article you mentioned on KSS regarding ancient arch discoveries?
Cheer's,
BF

Lance: what is your opinion of Jacques Vallee, and his many decades of research?

Lance: do you consider yourself a material / reductionist, a dualist, an idealist, or perhaps something completey different?

Lance, are you in fact, a paid disinfo agent?
:D Ha. I was thinking of posting that, too. :p But alas, IMO these fringe areas don't even need disinfo agents to make them seem downright ridiculous at times. There's enough kooks and frauds doing it without being on any shady government agency's paying list. And to recognize the better "camouflaged" ones of them, I'm afraid, we need Lance on the forum. I hope Angelo is still around too. I nearly miss getting all upset because of some post of his.

Lance, haven't you ever had anything happen to you personally that made you wonder, if there maybe is something to UFOs or the paranormal after all? Something you couldn't satisfactorily explain even after doing some research?

For that matter, I guess you have looked into many alleged UFO sightings and flaps etc. Nothing there which made you sceptical of your own scepticism? What about the National Press Club Conferences with the pilots and military personnel?

About the Belgian Triangles: do you think the famous foto which now seems to have been faked, means that the whole case for this particular UFO flap has vaporised? What about the eye witnesses and General DeBrouwer's statements?

What do you think is the percentage of UFO and paranormal claims that are purely hoaxes, misinterpretations and make-believe? Let's say it was 99 % (personally, I'd go for a much lower percentage). Would the remaining 1 % not mean that these things still should be studied?

From a pure storytelling point of view, what is your favourite paranormal tale that you've read/heard/seen?

What compels you to challenge claims of the paranormal? A need to defend science and proper procedure?

Do you have a desired goal you're hoping to accomplish or would like to see accomplished through skepticism?

As it's been a part of both for as long as there has been the ability to think and create, do you think the paranormal might have a positive, or even necessary, place in human culture and/or the human psyche -- for instance, a possible psychological need to engage in community driven suspension of disbelief (i.e., religion)?

Lance, what are your top 3 mistakes that UFO enthusiasts continually make? (I mean what are the logical pitfalls/traps that you feel they are constantly walking into)

Have you ever disagreed with other skeptics? (Like regardless of the case and it's merits, has there been incidents of the skeptical community using false arguments to put a case to bed, and you've known the argument used was invalid and you may also have known other, actually valid arguments? - I suppose I'm asking do you think the skeptical community is always honest?)

lance, NIST has now admitted a "free fall" speed of WTC 7 which in fact defies a few basic laws of physics in order to happen.

1- How do you think the basic laws of physics were suspended on 9/11?
2- When were the laws of physics put back in effect? the minute the towers hit the ground? later that day?

If you were a true skeptic my questions should be extremely interesting to you.

'When were the laws of physics put back..'

Now that's humour.

It is funny, but only because it's so nonsensical. As usual, the conspiracy theorists position is a gross oversimplification. First of all, NIST does admit that the towers fell at free fall speed, but only for a portion of the total collapse:

The analyses of the video (both the estimation of the instant the roofline began to descend and the calculated velocity and acceleration of a point on the roofline) revealed three distinct stages characterizing the 5.4 seconds of collapse:

Stage 1 (0 to 1.75 seconds): acceleration less than that of gravity (i.e., slower than free fall).

Stage 2 (1.75 to 4.0 seconds): gravitational acceleration (free fall)

Stage 3 (4.0 to 5.4 seconds): decreased acceleration, again less than that of gravity

Second, this doesn't defy any of the laws of physics, here's a good explanation of why the towers fell as fast as they did:

Static v. Dynamic Loading:

Why the WTC Towers Fell So Fast

Some conspiracy theorists are puzzled about why the WTC towers fell at almost free-fall speed on Sept. 11, 2001. They suppose that the speed of collapse is evidence that something or someone must have destroyed the structural integrity of the undamaged lower part of each tower.
After all, they reason, "only the upper floors of the building were damaged, so why did the lower floors collapse, and why did they fall so fast?"
This web page answers those questions, simply enough for even a conspiracy theorist to comprehend (I hope). I do use some simple math and some very basic physics, but even if you don't understand that part you should still be able to comprehend the basic reasons that the towers fell so fast.
What the conspiracy theorists apparently don't understand is the difference between static and dynamic loading. ("Static" means "while at rest," "dynamic" means "while moving.")
If you don't think it can make a difference, consider the effect of a stationary bullet resting on your chest, compared to the effect of a moving bullet striking your chest. The stationary bullet exerts a static load on your chest. A moving bullet exerts a dynamic load.
As a more pertinent example, consider a 110 story building with a roof 1,368 feet high (like the WTC Twin Towers). Each floor is 1368/110 = 12.44 feet high, or aproximately 3.8 meters.
Now, suppose that the structural steel on the 80th floor collapses. (Note: I'm using as an example 2 WTC, which was the building that collapsed first.)
The collapse of the 80th floor drops all the floors above (which, together, are equivalent to a 30 story building!) onto the 79th floor, from a height of aproximately 12 feet.
Of course, the structure of the lower 79 floors has been holding up the weight of the top 31 floors for many years. (That's the static load.) So should you expect it to be able to hold that same weight, dropped on it from a height of 12 feet (the dynamic load)?
The answer is, absolutely not!
Here's why.
First, let's calculate aproximately how fast the upper 30 floors slammed into the 79th floor. (If you slept through high school physics, you may want to skip ahead to the result.)
d=distance, g=acceleration of gravity, t=time, v=velocity
d = 0.5 g x t²
Solving for t:
2d = g x t²
t² = 2d / g
t = sqrt(2d/g)
t = sqrt(2d) / sqrt(g)
v = g x t
Substituting for t:
v = g x sqrt(2d) / sqrt(g)
v = g x sqrt(2d) / sqrt(g)
v = (g / sqrt(g)) x sqrt(2) x sqrt(d)
v = sqrt(2g) x sqrt(d)
g = 9.8 m/sec²
d = 3.8 meters
Thus:
v = sqrt(19.6 x 3.8) m/sec
v = sqrt( 74.5 ) m/sec
v = 8.6 m/sec
1 meter = 39.37 inches, so
v = 8.6 m/sec x (39.37/12) ft/m = 28 ft/sec.
which is 19 mph.
In other words, if you drop something from a height of 12 feet, it will be moving at about 19 miles per hour by the time it reaches the ground. It doesn't matter whether it is a single brick or a 30 story building. After falling 12 feet it will be moving at about 19 mph.
That's about the speed of a collegiate sprinter. (The world record for running the mile is 3:43.13, which is an average speed of 16.134 mph.) If you could sprint that fast and ran into a brick wall the impact might well kill you.
So if the lower 79 floors are strong enough to support a stationary 31 story building, do you think they will be strong enough to support a 31 story bulding falling at 19 mph?
The answer is emphatically no! But if you are not convinced, then ask yourself this roughly equivalent question. Suppose that you can hold up a 50 lb weight with little difficulty. Do you suppose that you could survive a 50 lb weight falling on you from a height of 12 feet - i.e., at 19 mph? (Warning: Do not try this!)
To answer that question without killing someone, I devised the following experiment. First, I found an easily dividable weight: I used my penny jar. Then I made a support for it: I used a piece of notebook paper stretched over a loaf pan, and taped in place. As you can see, the paper was strong enough to support the jar:

(click on the photo for a close-up)
(I was going to determine the limit to the amount of weight it would support, by adding pennies to the jar until the paper tore, but that's all the pennies I had in my penny jar.)
Then I removed the jar from the paper, and set it aside. I took five pennies from the jar, and taped them together. I stood on a stepstool, reached as high into the air as I could (about 9 or 10 feet from the floor), and dropped the 5 pennies onto the paper from that height. As you can see, even though I didn't drop it from a full 12 feet, the paper still could not withstand the falling pennies:

(I took the pennies out of the loaf pan for this photo; that's them next to the lower-right corner of the pan.)
Then I weighed both the five taped-together pennies (12 grams), and the penny jar full of pennies (1372 grams):

As you can see, 5 taped-together pennies weigh just 1/114th as much as the penny jar, yet they tore the paper on the first try. (I didn't try an even smaller stack of pennies.)
You can imagine what would happen if I'd dropped the full penny jar on the paper from 10 feet up. If a 12 gram penny stack broke right though the paper, obviously the paper would hardly have slowed the 1372 gram jar full of pennies at all... just as the lower floors of the WTC towers hardly slowed the fall of the upper floors.
That is experimental proof that a stiff (inelastic) structure which can support a given static load may break when less than 1% of that mass is dropped on it from a height of 10 feet. From that fact, it follows that if the full mass which the structure is capable of supporting is dropped on it from a height of 12 feet, the strength of the structure can be expected to slow the fall by less than 1%.
In the case of the WTC towers, there was a second factor which also slowed the collapse, but not by much. When the top 30 floors of a 110 story building fall 12 feet onto the 79th floor, due to the collapse of the 80th floor, the mass of the 79th floor is suddenly added to the mass of the falling structure. The momentum of a 30 story building falling at 19 mph suddenly becomes the momentum of a 31 story building falling at a slightly smaller velocity. The question is, how much smaller?
p = momentum = m x v
m1 = mass of the top 30 stories
m2 = mass of the top 31 stories = aprox. (31/30) x m1
v1 = velocity before the additional mass is added = 19 mph
v2 = velocity after the mass is added
Momentum is conserved, so:
p = m1 x v1 = m2 x v2 = (31/30) x m1 x v2
Solving for v2:
v2 = v1 x (30/31) = 0.968 x 19 mph = 18.4 mph
So you can see that the two factors which slowed the fall of the WTC towers were both very small. The strength of the structure below the point of collapse could be expected to slow the rate of collapse by less than 1%, and the accumulation of additional mass by the falling part of the structure due to the the "pancaking" of the lower floors could be expected to slow the rate of collapse by about 3%.
Of course, the above analysis is just about what happened when the top 31 stories fell onto the 79th floor. To predict the progression of the entire collapse, you have to repeat the calculations for each floor. For the next floor, calculate a 32-story building starting with an initial velocity of about 18.4 mph, and accelerating for another 12.4 feet to about 27 mph, and then slamming into the 78th floor. Since kinetic energy is proportional to velocity squared, the falling mass hits the 78th floor with about twice the kinetic energy that the top 31 stories had when they hit the 79th floor. Obviously, the 78th floor could be expected to slow the collapse by even less than the 79th floor did, which is why the building collapsed at nearly free-fall speed.

So we can see that the collapse of the towers did not violate the laws of physics. Makes sense to me, but I'm no physicist.

That still does not explain where exactly did all the steel structure go and how did it seem to disappear or crumble or melt - cos it certainly provided no barrier to collapse when it totally should.
Build a meccano model of the towers, chuck model plane at it and mess with a few floors, then even if you set the thing on fire where the damage is, all that structred steel, built for strength, didn't bend and compete with other falling debri, not it just decided to behave as if it wasn't there. The free-fall speed, yes you can attain terminal velocity quickly but that should not be possible with that way it was built.

nor does it explain how all that concrete pulverized itself on the way down, nor does it explain evaporated (not melted) steel, nor does it explain why the core columns were not left standing in the middle of a bunch of pancaked concrete floors, nor does it explain why this has never happened to buildings constructed the same way before, nor does it explain the unburned nano thermite particles found in the dust, or the miracle passport that flew out of the terrorist pocket and thru the interior of the building and through a massive fireball and into the hands of government officials, etc etc..

Whoa there fellas, I never claimed to have all the answers, this just explains the speed of the collapse and shows that it doesn't violate the laws of physics. That's all. I can't answer all of your questions Pixel, but I can tell you that nobody ever claimed to find unburned nano thermite particles that I'm aware of, the paper (which was based on dust samples collected by civilians, with no verifiable chain of evidence btw...) said that they found evidence of elemental aluminum and iron oxide and they then concluded that this was evidence of thermite, even though these things were present in materials used to build the WTC. Unless you're talking about a different paper of course...

Lance,

Without referencing the exact quote, no less than the late Admiral Lord Hill-Norton has gone on public record stating that the Rendlesham incident can have only one of two general explanations: Either something truly extraordinary happened in Rendlesham Forest in December 1980, or dozens of highly trained and responsible American Air Force personnel were somehow dysfunctional. What is your take on this incidnent and many others like it involving hightly credible personnel reporting incredible events?

If you were a fire fighter this may be a little easier to understand. I think maybe the investigators that were on the scene could handle any of the doubts or idiocracies, just my opinion, go to the pros;)

Back