• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Hessdalen: Pioneers in UFO/Anomaly Detection

The large piece of disturbed turf is interesting. It seems like I've heard on a podcast somewhere that people in the valley have seen other paranormal phenomena as well.

I recently suggested that you guys should interview Erling Strand, from Hessdalen Project, on the Paracast. It would certainly be an amazing show. I feel that it may be the single most relevant scientific effort to obtain actual results from UAP investigation. I'm only sad to see that they could use more funding and no one seems interested in investing more time and money into something so obviously intriguing and possibly revolutionary.

Lucky me, I live close enough to travel to Hessdalen (by car or bus, 6hrs). I drove past the area with bus last year. The landscape is fantastic. I have been planning a trip to Hessdalen long, and I will hopefully do it soon with a friend from the forum. There is an interesting documentary about the phenomenon in Hessdalen also with included animation of a sigar like object seen by some of the residents on youtube.

Edit: Oh yes, the footage above is the very same documentary.

My mothers uncle live close to Hessdalen, and I remember him telling about strange lights in the skies very often.

Edit: Oh yes, the footage above is the very same documentary.
My mothers uncle live close to Hessdalen, and I remember him telling about strange lights in the skies very often.

It would be interesting to hear about the other paranormal phenomena in the area. Is it really another Marley Woods/ SkinWalker Ranch type of situation?

It would be interesting to hear about the other paranormal phenomena in the area. Is it really another Marley Woods/ SkinWalker Ranch type of situation?

Actually, I don't really know. You see, Norway as you may know, is a fairly small country. The scientific studies in Hessdalen is being done by the University of Østfold. As far as I know, they haven't really dug into the more bizarre observations there, and I suspect that the locals keep there mouth shut in fear for being ridiculed.

We have only two big major newspapers here in Norway that covers the whole country, and they have many times dismissed the whole ting on the front cover. For example. One time, one of the scientists from the University of Østfold gave a statement that this thing could be a new type of energy similar to earth lights. Well, suddenly 'POW', the problem is solved, stated VG and Dagbladet (the tabloid newspapers). They even stated it as the conclusion on the tv-news. The scientists were quite pissed because that was not what they meant to say. And the locals felt that they were being framed as 'rednecks' or something, since after all they had only seen earth lights all these years.

Also, Norways celibrity astronomer, Knut Røed Jørgen Ødegaard has on a numberous occations dismissed and laughed it all away, the UFO phenomen in general I mean. Like really, really laughed about it, and said there are NO PROOF what so ever that we have had any strange phenomen on this earth. I have many times thought of sending him Jaques Valles passport to Magonia, Richard Dolans book or even better now Leslie Keans book.

I tell you, it is not easy to be interested in UFOs here in Norway. I work in a bookstore, and I recently took in Vallees newest book and also Leslie's UFOs. My collegues looked at me like I was some conspiracy freak. And one girlfriend of mine almost broke up with me when she saw my collection of ufo books. So now I keep my mouth shut too.

In Norway, there is a minor celibrity (with one Norwegian hit single) called Gry Jannicke Jarlum who claimed that she was abducted by a UFO in the eighties. She now has a lojal cult following her, and I recently saw on her FB-page that she is having a seminar where she will be teaching the philosophy of "the Betroz", the name of the race she claims to have met in the UFO.
She is the classic contactee type. If you are interested in UFOs on any leved in Norway, people pretty much think you are as nuts as her. :(

Edit: Would be really great to live among the locals up there for a year and really hear, interview them about what they have to say/have seen. And not least study the phenomenon with the University. I know they always need assistants to watch the equipment!

Edit2: My mothers uncle is unfortnately dead now, and has been from the moment I really started to investigate the UFO-phenomenon through the books of Hynek, Vallee and others..

Actually, I don't really know. You see, Norway as you may know, is a fairly small country. The scientific studies in Hessdalen is being done by the University of Østfold. As far as I know, they haven't really dug into the more bizarre observations there, and I suspect that the locals keep there mouth shut in fear for being ridiculed.
I don't know what idea of the Hessdalen project you have there in Norway, but sometimes being geographically closer to the place isn't always positive. I've read and seen interviews with Erling Strand recorded in 2010/11 where he mentions that no conclusive explanation has been reached (saying that the Hessdalen phenomena are Earth Lights is answering a question with another question) and they seem to collect witness testimonies that mention phenomena well beyond the lights in the sky. In fact, they have divided it in three categories, including the so-called black objects that seem to have lights attached to them and have been effectively photographed and filmed. I wouldn't read newspapers to be informed about anything in this field - they just look for news that last for a day and nothing more.
For people looking for information about the Hessdalen project I would recommend their official website of course (http://www.hessdalen.org/index_e.shtml), particularly the articles section where they have links to the various reports of the activities held there throughout the years (http://www.hessdalen.org/reports/) and also the CIPH project website where the italian investigators present the results of their co-operation with the Hessdalen project (HOME PAGE).

I don't know what idea of the Hessdalen project you have there in Norway, but sometimes being geographically closer to the place isn't always positive. I've read and seen interviews with Erling Strand recorded in 2010/11 where he mentions that no conclusive explanation has been reached (saying that the Hessdalen phenomena are Earth Lights is answering a question with another question) and they seem to collect witness testimonies that mention phenomena well beyond the lights in the sky. In fact, they have divided it in three categories, including the so-called black objects that seem to have lights attached to them and have been effectively photographed and filmed. I wouldn't read newspapers to be informed about anything in this field - they just look for news that last for a day and nothing more.
For people looking for information about the Hessdalen project I would recommend their official website of course (http://www.hessdalen.org/index_e.shtml), particularly the articles section where they have links to the various reports of the activities held there throughout the years (http://www.hessdalen.org/reports/) and also the CIPH project website where the italian investigators present the results of their co-operation with the Hessdalen project (HOME PAGE).

Thank you very much for the information.
I didn't mean to spread wrong information or anything. I guess I have to admit that I havent read properly on this, and what I said about the locals keeping their mouth shut, I based on something I read where some of the locals were tired of medias angle to it, who made it look like they freaked out over balls of lighting, or earth lights.

Sorry.

I think the above documentary is really great, and I will watch it again tonight. I remember the reports about the black flying things with lights. I think I confused that with reports from locals, and I did not know that Strand paid attention to the more bizarre incidents, such as the cigar shaped object with searchlights seen by some of the residents. Very interesting indeed.

Did you guys btw know that in Hessdalen, there is a very rich source of mineral ore. Maybe that is relevant.. It is also one of the few places in the world where you find Scandinavium, which if I remeber correctly is one of the "ingredients" in the light, measured by spectrometer.

I hope someday someone writes a book about this, in the style of Hynek or Vallee.

I am not seeing anyone mention that fact that the CCTV camera on the roof of the research field-hut captured a strange object flying (too slow for a plane) at quite a low altitude. This is a remote area and no-one is gonna even fly a helicopter low there at night for no reason!

It's on video and I've seen it. It happens to be similar to a craft seen flying slow by a Norwegian couple who are locals.
Sometimes I wonder if there is something weird BUT NATURAL happening in Hessdalen - some light or energy phenomena that is not yet understood. And there are ALIENS STUDYING THE SAME PHENOMENA! -This nicely explains the multi-phenomena aspect to the case.

Has anyone else noticed in the picture of the fast-moving blue light, you can see it has a spiral tail. MMMMMM? SPIRALS, BLUE, UNKNOWN, NORWAY! Because of the age of the video I don't think the large Norway spiral had happened. Wonder what the Hessdalen scientific team thought of the Norway spiral? I for one have never bought the 'Russian missile' explanation - not a snowball's chance in hell was the Norway spiral from a missile test. On videos you can see the spiral rotating in a way that no contrail could possibly do. Bollocks was it a missile!

I just watched "The Portal" documentary on Hessdalen and thought there was an opportunity to explain unknown aerial phenomenon as a reaction with unique mineral based gasses. It seemed to point towards an interesting explanation for all those glowing, shifting lights that appear to move under their own will. But those soil slabs really are pretty odd. I would love to hear an update about this place. I would also like to champion their appearance on the show.

I just watched "The Portal" documentary on Hessdalen and thought there was an opportunity to explain unknown aerial phenomenon as a reaction with unique mineral based gasses. It seemed to point towards an interesting explanation for all those glowing, shifting lights that appear to move under their own will. But those soil slabs really are pretty odd. I would love to hear an update about this place. I would also like to champion their appearance on the show.

I agree but I think also the Hessdalen lot concluded there was several distinct phenomena happening, some of which could be to do with these minerals etc. Did you see the clip though, taken from the cctv atop the monitoring station? It clearly shows a single solid object moving quite slowly down the length of a valley. It certainly was no chopper or plane, and bearing in mind this is a remote location, it is very unlikely anything conventional would be flying there in the middle of the night without people knowing about it?

I wonder what the current use status of the monitoring station is? Also the filmed object could be like the craft reported by some of the residents. Having a good friend who lives in Bergen, Norway, next time I visit him I have to make a 'pilgrimage' to Hessdalen. Maybe the chances are very low but I'd love to see the lights.

Come to think of it - did you notice the photograph of the twisting blue light? Isn't it strange that it is reminiscent of the later 'Norway Spiral' ? What is it with these blue spirals? I am convinced there is a connection. This could warrant a thread methinks. How say you?:)

I agree but I think also the Hessdalen lot concluded there was several distinct phenomena happening....Come to think of it - did you notice the photograph of the twisting blue light? Isn't it strange that it is reminiscent of the later 'Norway Spiral' ? What is it with these blue spirals? I am convinced there is a connection. This could warrant a thread methinks. How say you?:)

I thought this documentary pointed to so many unique and bizarre phenomenon that I couldn't quite figure out any real centre to what was transpiring. That bluish spiral was such a wonderful pix that the first thing I also thought of was the Norway spiral. I love it when lights in the sky get downright calculated like that. Certainly the plethora of various anomalies are definitely worth examining on the Paracast, but the scientist at the centre of it, Erling Strand, is so reserved in interviews I've read in the last two years that he refuses to hang his hat on anything. Even his speculations are speculative, but if Ted Phillips can come on and blab about lights blobbing all over Marley Woods and only produce a white blobby photo of a furry critter in the distance then this deserves much more examination. Given the recent tone on The Paracast's Lance Moody & Don Ecker shows where policing ufology is the theme then the scientific approach to Hessdalen is right in line with the sincere investigative stance that Chris and Gene are promoting.

Here's Erling Strand's email [email protected] and a search of his name will produce good recent articles. I would love to hear Moody's take on this as I have found the skeptic discussion on Hessdalen to be a little bland compared to the highly diverse and original evidence in that documentary.

Is this not the thread for more discussion? I'd absolutely like to hear more opinions on this story. Oddly enough it was Hessdalen that brought me back to this forum to see what others thought about it.

Erm... by the Norway spiral you mean the phenomenon that showed up when Obama was visiting there at the end of 2011? I think that one has quite reasonably been explained as a space rocket spinning out of control? I don't see the connection.

As for the Hessdalen lights, they are definitely anomalous IMO, in the sense that they are unexplained by contemporary science but the alleged intelligence behind them (as with all "mystery lights") stands and falls with the interactions some people say they see. I'd like to see real videotaped proof for this, but I haven't found this as yet, although there are some pretty remarkable clips.

Reports of "nuts & bolts" craft being seen are far and in between and might be part of a mythology forming around them (IMO of course, I reserve the right be totally wrong). In that vein, I'm surprised that there aren't more contactee stories coming up. I always wait for the "usual suspects" in these cases.

Based on my interest in consciousness phenomena (not only mentally but physically), I'm really fascinated by these "mystery lights" which sometimes seem to behave like living things. I mean, just compare the foo fighter reports with "real" (visual) orbs and light anomalies reported in haunting cases (or with their mental counterparts sometimes reported in NDEs).

All in all, I think it's an absolutely fascinating subject and a really good idea to get an interview with anyone that is involved in the project, especially of course Erling Strand.

I don't mean to compare the two spirals as if they were both anomalous phenomenon, just that they are both very impressive visual events. I also see a comparison between the Hessdalen Lights and the other orb, Foo Fighter, shifting light volumes etc. and wonder about links between these, possibly naturally, produced lights/objects that dance quite wonderfully in the sky. It's the removed, patterned soil slabs that really confuse me - can I please get a skeptical explanation of that?!

Polter! I for one just do not buy this missile test explanation. I'm sure that spiral was moving and if it was only the trail of an out of control rocket, it would not do that. No other rocket test has produced such a spiral and every other out of control rocket I have seen footage of does not come close to following such a perfect pattern.

I am not sure but was there not another blue spiral seen elsewhere after the Norway one? I didn't hear an explanation of that one (if my memory is correct).

Anyway, I am not attributing anything UFOish or suchlike to the spiral necessarily but I just do not buy the missile explanation.

Goggs, I know something about how objects orbit the earth, but ones out of control--I'm not sure anyone can guess what they would do.
Here's a picture:
NorwaySpiral_C2_cropped.jpg

(I have to laugh when I see this because it's SO psychedelic:p )

I'm no expert at this, ...however looking at this photo, if it is indeed a rocket body spraying fuel into a spiral...shouldn't the white material stay behind like the blue material does?...Shouldn't it look like a corkscrew (such as the blue material is doing by trailing behind)...instead of a neat spiral where the white material is following along?
In other words why isn't the blue material staying with the "object" like the white material is apparently doing?
That seems very counter-intuitive for Newtonian orbital mechanics.
But hey like I said, I am not an expert.

Back