• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Guest Suggestions for The Paracast

I always enjoyed the episodes about personal experiences. For example, I remember one when Hopkins (R.I.P) and a guy he'd been working with came on the show. The guy was driving somewhere out west, and he and his family saw a UFO, experienced some missing time, etc.

I also enjoyed the episode or two when listeners shared their paranormal experiences. Those episodes were always kind of a good change of pace.

I keep reminding myself of the peculiar historical moment we’re in: An unexplained mystery with likely profound implications for humanity that can’t be wholly psychologized but which nevertheless has been intellectually ghettoized for unconvincing reasons. Somehow this logjam must be broken to allow open inquiry to proceed. So, what about a series of friendly discussions between believers and skeptics?

Possible pairings might include:

-Kevin Randle and Robert Scheaffer
-Peter Robbins and Michael Shermer
-Ray Stanford and Dr. Steven Novella
-Don Berliner and Kendrick Frazier

I keep reminding myself of the peculiar historical moment we’re in: An unexplained mystery with likely profound implications for humanity that can’t be wholly psychologized but which nevertheless has been intellectually ghettoized for unconvincing reasons. Somehow this logjam must be broken to allow open inquiry to proceed. So, what about a series of friendly discussions between believers and skeptics?

Possible pairings might include:

-Kevin Randle and Robert Scheaffer
-Peter Robbins and Michael Shermer
-Ray Stanford and Dr. Steven Novella
-Don Berliner and Kendrick Frazier

Why a pair? Why not Eric the Red?

Why a pair? Why not Eric the Red?

Why a pair?

The short answer:
A discussion of differences between skeptic/‘believer’ pairs might help reveal to a key target audience that “the” skeptical view as represented by movement skeptics doesn’t necessarily represent the scientific view of UFOs, and that those who believe this topic warrants serious scientific investigation aren’t any less rational than skeptics.

Longer answer:
I don’t have any expectation that some of these skeptics could be dislodged from their seeming dogmatism. But, it might be useful to hypothesize a ‘moveable middle’ of under-informed skeptics, open-minded academics, scientists not swayed by more dogmatic and ideological forms of skepticism, and the like. The goal then should be to nudge them away from ignorance and over-confident skepticism toward some kind of agnosticism or even probabilistic but provisional acceptance of the ETH.

As we know, many skeptics enter this discussion with the presumption of a rational defect(s) existing somewhere in the ufologist’s worldview. The assumption is that but for some fallacy committed by the ufologist, some systematic bias or soft-headedness that produces a distorting will to believe, the ufologist would be a skeptic on the UFO question—the only “scientific” view possible. I suspect that the assumption of faulty cognition on the part of ufo believers/investigators is one of the main reasons behind mainstream elite rejection of ufological research.

Why or how might this change with skeptic/ufologist pairings? I don’t know that it would, of course, but the forced juxtaposition of a debate might allow for more direct probing than the setup of hosts and a single guest. (It might also attract more open-minded skeptics when one of ‘theirs’ is in a potential debate.) I think Gene and Chris do a decent job of straddling the line between criticism and open listening and curiosity. But they do face the constraint that if they were too critical of guests this would deter future guests from coming on the show. Plus, however else they might specify their views on UFOs, they are not dogmatic skeptics. Because of these two factors the hardcore skeptics or those who have simply adopted the mainstream intellectual view on the UFO topic could easily convince themselves that the show is nothing more than an echo-chamber for believers.

So, I’m wondering if some of these pairings might not force such skeptics to confront the reality that their skeptical confidence isn’t so easily established, and that they need to take a more nuanced and complex view. These discussions/debates might entice a few open minded skeptics to investigate beyond the confines of the Skeptics Guide to the Universe podcast or Skeptic magazine.

It is possible to be knowledgeable about the weaknesses of human perception, memory, judgement, reasoning, and the psychology of belief, and still come to the conclusion that this topic is worthy of serious scientific exploration. It’s one thing to have single guests speak on this topic, which has certainly played a key role in my education. But always in the background lurks official dismissal of UFOs. Let’s bring the most visible voices of official dismissal into a confrontation with its most articulate and knowledgable critics. Will these debates help move the UFO topic past the skeptic blockade? Who knows.

Why not Eric The Red? I’m not sure how much I have to add to what’s already been said by others. I’m a couple of years off, at least, from learning what I need to know to say more that’s worthwhile.

I would like to suggest forum member Constance as a guest to the Paracast or an all female panel of forum members for one of your shows (including Constance.)
This is not an accusatory or a rhetorical question but a genuine asking: Why are there more males than females on the Paracast forums?

I would like to suggest forum member Constance as a guest to the Paracast or an all female panel of forum members for one of your shows (including Constance.) This is not an accusatory or a rhetorical question but a genuine asking: Why are there more males than females on the Paracast forums?
Good question (I don't know the answer) and a very good idea! Gene: Let's invite Constance, Renn Lady and a third ands/or fourth female forum member to do a roundtable show... You know, a Ladies perspective... Are you up for it ladies? A fun and informative time could be had by all!

Good question (I don't know the answer) and a very good idea! Gene: Let's invite Constance, Renn Lady and a third ands/or fourth female forum member to do a roundtable show... You know, a Ladies perspective... Are you up for it ladies? A fun and informative time could be had by all!
please consider adding @Heidi Lemmer & @Tyger to what is already an exceptional lineup you've started with.

I think this was suggested a ways back and it's a long time coming. Having an all female panel would definitely take the show into the present and you would be opening doors to a whole new fan base. Brilliant idea @flipper.

I was going to suggest Rikki but.. (shame less personal plug) we are now expecting our 5th child as you can expect time is short

please consider adding @Heidi Lemmer & @Tyger to what is already an exceptional lineup you've started with.

I think this was suggested a ways back and it's a long time coming. Having an all female panel would definitely take the show into the present and you would be opening doors to a whole new fan base. Brilliant idea @flipper.

BTW Burnt - I listened to my first full Paracast show because of your interview! :) Well done! Very interesting.

I agree with having @Constance interviewed - and all the others. Interesting idea. I'm not sure how much I'd have to offer as I am a bit of an at-an-angle Paracast forum member, since I am seen as an avowed esotericist/occultist :eek: I am loathe to 'parade' that as I'm not sure that is an interest of the majority on this forum. I'm also a skeptic when it comes to the paranormal and ufology. I'm sure Gene and Chris would vet us to see if we would fly in a radio interview for this constituency. Interesting idea. I'd be up for it under the right conditions but I'm more inclined to listen than talk myself.

@Tyger is one of the fairer sex ? BOY, maybe I should say Girl, have I been asleep at the wheel.

Ah, I've been outed! :D

I agree with having @Constance interviewed - and all the others. Interesting idea. I'm not sure how much I'd have to offer as I am a bit of an at-an-angle Paracast forum member, since I am seen as an avowed esotericist/occultist :eek: I am loathe to 'parade' that as I'm not sure that is an interest of the majority on this forum. I'm also a skeptic when it comes to the paranormal and ufology. I'm sure Gene and Chris would vet us to see if we would fly in a radio interview for this constituency. Interesting idea. I'd be up for it under the right conditions but I'm more inclined to listen than talk myself.

I'd be interested. As I mentioned I couldn't pick apart a ufo case if I tried. Ufology doesn't have a lot of interest for me. my interests run to the fortean matters and any possible feedback cycles between us and "it", whatever 'it" is and even if there is an "it". I am more interested in things like coincidences/synchronicities, memes and our belief system.

I'm not sure how much I'd have to offer as I am a bit of an at-an-angle Paracast forum member, since I am seen as an avowed esotericist/occultist :eek: I'm also a skeptic when it comes to the paranormal and ufology.
These are the reasons that you should be on this show:)
I am loathe to 'parade' that as I'm not sure that is an interest of the majority on this forum.
I am very interested
I'd be up for it under the right conditions but I'm more inclined to listen than talk myself..
You will be great and besides you have already said that Gene and Chris will vet you if they thought different.

I'd be interested. As I mentioned I couldn't pick apart a ufo case if I tried. Ufology doesn't have a lot of interest for me. my interests run to the fortean matters and any possible feedback cycles between us and "it", whatever 'it" is and even if there is an "it". I am more interested in things like coincidences/synchronicities, memes and our belief system.

I definitely had my Charles Fort period. :) What a great guy! Inevitably that led me 'elsewhere'.

Belief systems fascinate me, too, and all the rest you mention. Our 'filters' determine much - an occult/esoteric filter as much as anything else. We tend to see ourselves as free in our thinking but there is history behind why we think the way we do and that fascinates me.

I totally agree! Come on Tiggie let's apply an occult perspective to the subject matter.... Whatcha say? :cool:

Interested only because good conversation is always to be prized. However, I am not sure I am the one to wax eloquent on the occult - such a difficult word - in many ways it's been bastardized. So much fantastical stuff swirls around that word. Knee jerk reactions, religious and otherwise. Hollywood has much to answer for - for a lot of stuff. ;)

Anyway, pm conversation? With the other females mentioned? I'd love to hear a roundtable with the women mentioned. I'm up for convincing them. :)

Back