• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

George Wingfield Will Be Our Guest on the June 1st Show

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member
[At met George at the Eureka Springs Conference back in 1994. I was struck by his wry, ironic wit and his disdain for what some in the "paranormal" field pass off as "research." He has written a number of articles that expose some of our naked emperors-on-parade. This will be a fun show, we tape next Tuesday —chris]

George Wingfield was born in July 1942 at Stamford, England, and was educated at Eton College and Dublin University. At Dublin, he read Natural Sciences, obtaining a B.A. Honors degree in 1966, and an M.A. degree in 1971. After university, he worked briefly as an astronomer at the Royal Greenwich Observatory, Herstmonceux, studying stellar spectra and the earth's magnetic field. Subsequently, he joined IBM UK and engaged in a variety of jobs in Systems Engineering, Marketing, and in Computer Education.

On August 8, 1987, he went with his wife and two sons to see crop circles for the first time at Westbury, Wiltshire, and became intrigued by this extraordinary evolving mystery. He is considered to be one of the first crop-circle researchers. He sees many parallels with the UFO phenomenon which he has also closely studied for many years.

He is a major contributor to various books on the Circles, notably The Crop Circle Enigma (Gateway Books, 1990), Crop Circles - Harbingers of World Change (Gateway Books, 1991), and The UFO Report series for 1990, 1991, 1992 (Sidgwick & Jackson). He is a founding member of the Centre for Crop Circle Studies (CCCS) and was editor of The Cerealogist magazine.

He has lectured extensively on the Circles and UFOs in the U.S.A. and in England, and appeared on TV and radio in these countries.

Anywhere. Click on the On-Demand player on our main site to hear the show when it is broadcast by GCN, or the current episode after that. Otherwise, just download it as you've always done wherever you have access to a speedy online connection.

George, recently Colin Andrews has come to change his mind quite a lot on the subject of crop circles, now accepting the number made by crop-circle 'artists.' Has your own thinking on the subject changed in, say, the last 10 years? If yes, how?

What are your possible explanations for UFO's (ETH, inter-dimensional, psychic etc)?

Do you think there is one 'parent' explanation for multiple paranormal event types, such as paranormal entities and objects through the ages? (my own thinking being that it should be more likely there is one or a few explanations having many manifestations rather than many individual and separate paranormal things with different sources).

Do you have a favourite case or cases or piece of evidence that convinces you there is a core truth to paranormal occurrences and things like UFOs?

The classic Belgian Triangle UFO picture - real or hoax?

In your opinion, is there anything to ball-of-light type phenomena being seen around crop circles? Have you seen anything yourself that would fit the desription?

The video from the 90s where a BOL seems to flatten the crop looks pretty faked to me. Would you agree?

reply:
Good grief! That brief biography of me which Chris put up on the website was written over 20 years ago with no hint of what I’ve been doing or what I’ve written or said since then. I guess that I’m doomed to be forever associated with crop circles which I’ve barely looked at in the last eighteen years! Way back in 1994 I published a long and detailed article in The Cerealogist about crop circles in England saying how they were made and naming many of the people who were secretly making them. I said there was so much deception going on that any further study of crop circles had become impossible and that it was almost certain the vast majority of the circles in England were person-made. I told Colin Andrews this at the time but it was quite a few more years before he conceded that 80% of crop circles in the UK were hoaxes. (Not sure where he got that 80% figure from and whether he still thinks that –I’d say the percentage is much higher, if not a full 100%).

I fear that the classic Belgian Triangle UFO pic is a fake but I am still very interested in the so-called “flying triangles”. I strongly recommend David Marler’s book “Triangular UFOs –An Estimate of the Situation” (2013). A few pages of that were written by me giving some of my thoughts on the subject. If you are looking for evidence of real physical UFOs your very best bet at the moment is Nick Pope’s book “Encounter in Rendlesham Forest” just published. That contains multiple witness accounts of what I’d call an ICCUO (Intelligently Controlled Craft of Unidentified Origin). I’m not saying that this is anything like the supposed UFOs piloted by the little gray aliens of modern US UFO myth that allegedly started with Roswell and then developed into claims of innumerable human abductions and cattle mutilations, government cover-up, imminent disclosure, etc.

As with the crop circles in 1994, I’ve written a piece explaining exactly what causes the vast majority of the cattle mutilations in the US and this should be posted on this website very soon.

Welcome, George. If you have a more recent bio, feel free to post it, so we can expand the questioning.

We had a great time with Pope and Burroughs on the new book. I was particularly delighted to hear something that doesn't just repeat the common UFO meme.

And I await further material from you.

Thanks, Gene. I'll think up a new bio and let you have it soon. It's not as if I've been hiding for the last 20 years! I'm here in the Midwest and have attended the Ozark UFO Conference nearly every single year since 1990. I don't get asked to speak there any more as I can't help pointing out which speakers I think are fakes and fraudsters and that doesn't make me very popular. I guess, speakers are not meant to dis other speakers. This year we did get Nick Pope who is a straight and honest UFO researcher without any doubt.

I'll upload this piece I've written on the cattle mutilations but which I don't think got sent to you. I hope that will be the chief topic of our Paracast talk rather than crop circles which I thought I'd put to bed years ago!

Well the upload failed apparently because it's a MS Word document that included several pics. Maybe I'd better send that to you via e-mail separately?

When you post a document of that sort, it's a matter of copying and pasting the text, and using the Upload a File button in our forums to send the illustrations separately. You post them "inline" the full illustration, and they'll appear in the text wherever you insert them.

This is what I'd do to post the document. Care to give it a try?

If uploading the illustrations doesn't work, just post the text itself, and I'll finish it for you.

I don't get asked to speak there any more as I can't help pointing out which speakers I think are fakes and fraudsters and that doesn't make me very popular. I guess, speakers are not meant to dis other speakers. This year we did get Nick Pope who is a straight and honest UFO researcher without any doubt.

I like the cut of your jib, George.

reply:
Good grief! That brief biography of me which Chris put up on the website was written over 20 years ago with no hint of what I’ve been doing or what I’ve written or said since then. I guess that I’m doomed to be forever associated with crop circles which I’ve barely looked at in the last eighteen years! Way back in 1994 I published a long and detailed article in The Cerealogist about crop circles in England saying how they were made and naming many of the people who were secretly making them. I said there was so much deception going on that any further study of crop circles had become impossible and that it was almost certain the vast majority of the circles in England were person-made. I told Colin Andrews this at the time but it was quite a few more years before he conceded that 80% of crop circles in the UK were hoaxes. (Not sure where he got that 80% figure from and whether he still thinks that –I’d say the percentage is much higher, if not a full 100%).

I fear that the classic Belgian Triangle UFO pic is a fake but I am still very interested in the so-called “flying triangles”. I strongly recommend David Marler’s book “Triangular UFOs –An Estimate of the Situation” (2013). A few pages of that were written by me giving some of my thoughts on the subject. If you are looking for evidence of real physical UFOs your very best bet at the moment is Nick Pope’s book “Encounter in Rendlesham Forest” just published. That contains multiple witness accounts of what I’d call an ICCUO (Intelligently Controlled Craft of Unidentified Origin). I’m not saying that this is anything like the supposed UFOs piloted by the little gray aliens of modern US UFO myth that allegedly started with Roswell and then developed into claims of innumerable human abductions and cattle mutilations, government cover-up, imminent disclosure, etc.

As with the crop circles in 1994, I’ve written a piece explaining exactly what causes the vast majority of the cattle mutilations in the US and this should be posted on this website very soon.
My bad George... I should have mentioned your annual pilgrimage to Lou Farish's Eureka Springs Conference—where we first met. I did a quick search (before my work day) for other back-grounder material, articles, position papers and the like and ended up utilizing your thought-provoking take on the mutes that you sent Izzy. The photos wouldn't attach, btw.

I'm sure you'll bring us all up2speed concerning what you've been up to and I'm looking forward to your insight. Can't wait to kick the ball around a bit and have some fun w/ it... :)

Back