• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Enough with the crystal skulls already/ June 27

Enough with the crystal skulls already

If we had some input from those who haven't made the willing suspension of disbelief into a way of life, then it might be worth pursuing the subject, but we haven't and I'm pretty sure we won't.
Still, I have to thank Gene and Chris for providing a link to Stephen Mehler's bio - it saved me making the mistake of assuming he was an archaeologist in the accepted sense of the term and wasting precious bandwidth on yet another ridiculous New Age fruitcake. I think Chris collects them as pets or something.

I've been repressing my unease at the fact that the overwhelming majority of advertisers for the Paracast on its shiny new network are slimeballs who cynically prey on the paranoia of simpleminded right-wingers. I never thought I'd miss Bill Birnes...
I've been sighing in resignation at the small number of guests who actually have anything to worth hearing.
I've been gritting my teeth at the fact that Chris O'Brien often opens the show with a little mini-rant mocking people who've dared to suggest in the forums that critical thinking might be a nice idea now and then, and that perhaps truth actually matters.

But when all's said and done, I'm not getting anything out of this and if I continue to participate I'll only annoy (more) the people who like things just fine as they are. And I'm not that mean.

I was really hoping Stephen Mehler would be better than other crystal skull "researchers."
Oh man, twenty minutes in and I already think this guy is just as bad as the last one. Just because you like to say you're a scientist, doesn't mean you are one. Hopefully my opinion changes as the episode goes on.
Another thing, anyone that harps on his credentials irks me and makes me think he has something to hide.

I added the date to the title of this post so that we can associate it with the episode.

PS - New show logo. Nice.

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

30 minutes in - this guy is really full of it. Sensitives - wow. How is this guy approaching crystal skulls scientifically? I guess you can make up your own science and call it science.
This episode is great in a schadenfreude sort of way.

I agree that this guest and the subject of crystal skulls are very "out there" (a goofy subject matter IMO), but crystal skulls are part of the paranormal and should be part of the subject area this show covers.

Do you people really think crystal skulls are the craziest thing discussed on this show? I mean come on I could give some examples...

I agree that this guest and the subject of crystal skulls are very "out there" (a goofy subject matter IMO), but crystal skulls are part of the paranormal and should be part of the subject area this show covers.

Do you people really think crystal skulls are the craziest thing discussed on this show? I mean come on I could give some examples...

I don't think so, there are plenty of nutty things in the paranormal. I just think that presenting this guest as a scientist is a stretch.

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

Great questions by Gene when it came to the claims of the healings. Something so easy to test, but yet there's nothing. How is that "science?"

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

How is a double blind test trivial? Right there, he shows how interested he is in doing real science. Thanks to Gene again for explaining it to him.

This fellow can make all sorts of claims about how scientific his data is however unless he has published his findings and exactly how he found them he is just making an unsupported claim. I think his claims of being scientific about his study of the alleged metaphysical characteristics of these things is pretty dubious.

Everything I read or hear about the crystal skull business leads me to think it is nothing but pseudo-science and superstition. This show was no different. The whole idea that raw quartz crystals can be used as some sort of information storage or computational device is absolutely insane. That whole premise shows an ignorance of the incredible level of engineering involved in the production of devices used in information technology. I want to cry every time I hear someone go into that spiel.

Be careful about letting this thread build momentum. We don't want another expert to be brought on and have the popularity of another crystal skull thread used as a barometer of audience interest. Lance must be rolling over in his grave right now.

Well you have all fallen for it again! It's apparent that the Illuminati did not want this Crystal Skull thread to die. So, how to keep it going? Well, ya get one of your deep undercover operatives to post that you don't want it to keep going which causes the masses to go ahead and keep it going. See? The way this works is simple. The space brothers have an agenda to take over the earth and mine it's rich chemicals and nutrients. So, they have Al Gore try to scare everybody which protects any precious minerals from being mined. Then they insert a reptillian in office. Don't believe me? well Obama spelled backwards is not reptile! See? See how insidieous it is? I'm telling ya all of you have fallen right into it. Go ahead spell racecar backwards. What do ya get? See? Case Closed! :cool:

People get out of it what they put into it it seems. The interview did add to the topic in terms of factual information though.

As far as I'm concerned, we presented a couple of sides to the story, and we're done with it for now. If something compelling comes along, we'll consider it. But there are other things to discuss that we haven't begun to cover.

Well, the distinction between man-made skulls (and declaring them as such) for once, also some dates added to the hockey ones.

This episode just reinforced the notion to me that crystal skulls function more as a religious fetish for crystal skull researchers than anything else.

I'm not by any means an expert in archeology. But I've always been fascinated by the precolumbian civilizations that inhabited my country, and I'm very proud of my cultural heritage.

There are several things said during the show that I think are plain wrong.

Firstly, I haven't had the chance to visit any Mayan archaeological sites yet, but I've visited Mexico city's National Anthropology Museum plenty of times, along with the Templo Mayor museum in downtown Mexico (where the great Tenochtitlan's ceremonial center used to be located).

In none of these museums have I seen a quartz crystal skull as part of their exhibitions. There are several actual human skulls that are decorated with semi-precious stones with a mosaic technique, but that's as close as you can get to the topic discussed.

The fact is that Mexican precolumbian cultures favored other materials, like obsidian, jade and basalt for their sculptures and jewelry. Jade was specially favored by all the main cultures, possibly because it relates to the Popol Vuh creation myths, as well as the Corn God tradition (green represents rebirth).

At the National museum of anthropology visitors can marvel at the sight of lord Pakal's burial mask made of jade. BUT this masterpiece is not made of a single jade piece; once again, it was created using a mosaic technique.

3011244015_ab1bb57440.jpg

(Forgetting about the "atlantean/extraterrestrial" angle for a minute, it is nonetheless interesting to note the correlations between the burial traditions of these Mayan lords, and the equally amazing jade sarcophagus of China's first emperor)

The guest talked about the Toltecs conquering the Mayans. To be specific here, it was the warriors of ancient Teotihuacan the ones who marched and conquered the state-nations of the Southeast during the Preclassic period. As a result, the Mayan rulers adopted the characteristic spear-thrower (atlatl) and Tlaloc's eyeglasses from Mexico's central plateau as symbols of power.

67florescano011.jpg

Much later, after Teotihuacan's influence dwindled and the city was abandoned, it was another Nahuatl-speaking culture, the Toltecs, the ones who once again conquered the Mayan territories in the post-classic period. The city Chichen Itza's rise as a powerful capital comes from this age.

Then he later said something about someone finding a skull in the "Oaxaca area, in the state of Guerrero"? Well, that's just plain wrong. Oaxaca is not an area in Guerrero, but another state altogether

All in all, I was not impressed with the information presented in this show.

Having said that, we must remember that there are certainly many fascinating mysteries regarding the ancient Olmecs, who are known as the "mother culture" in Mexico. Again, if you get the chance to visit Mexico's National Anthropology museum, not only you will see some of the amazing giant Olmec heads that do show several African racial characteristics, but there are also many sculptures that are similar to semitic individuals (Phoenicians?) as well as East Asian features. Like this fine example, called "El Luchador" (the wrestler) who IMO looks a lot like a Japanese sumo wrestler.

luchadorolmeca.jpg

So, even if I'm skeptical of crystal skulls, I do not discount the possibility of some form of communication between the original inhabitants of America, and other cultures in the "Old World" :)

Uh..., what's a crystal skull? Like, what crystalline material is it supposed to be made out of? I'm serious, I don't really get it.
Wasn't the crystal skull a plot vehicle in that horrible last Indiana Jones movie? Is that what's being referred to? Seriously?

Uh..., what's a crystal skull? Like, what crystalline material is it supposed to be made out of? I'm serious, I don't really get it.
Wasn't the crystal skull a plot vehicle in that horrible last Indiana Jones movie? Is that what's being referred to? Seriously?

No doubt the movie was inspired by the crystal skull lore. Not unusual.

I liked the bit where the guest implied that any hand-made skull must have been made before we could make them with machines. I liked it 'for teh lulz'.

So what's the theory here? That there were aliens hanging around earth that had quartz 'crystal' skulls? Is that it? I'm serious. Is that the theory?!
I swear, I have not listened to any Paracasts on crystal skulls. So I'm in the dark here... but let me -hah- know if I'm -heh, heh- close... oh boy -haha- -hehe-. ohh boy, I haven't had a good laugh like that in a while...
Of course, if I'm wrong... the truth -hehe- maybe a lot more sinister:question:...

Back