• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Dr Frank Salisbury

Hi Gene & Chris,
Dr Frank Salisbury;) show was excellent and shows science still has great individuals who are not scared to have a open mind investigating the paranormal and maybe a suggestion a guest science host?

Well done Gene & Chris,;)

Peace,
Kenny:);)

He was doing fine with me until he started leaning on the mormonism. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he discussed the effort made to reconcile what he was finding in his research with what his faith taught him but IMHO you should really just leave that stuff at the door when you start looking into something scientifically. Otherwise your findings will invariably be coloured by your existing beliefs.

Hi CapnG,
I agree regards your personnel faith sometimes however don't atheist do the same when they are working within the science community and reject religion historical texts and preach Darwinism regarding of Origin of Species '(1857) is a historical texts who rejected some of his theories at end of his life when he found religion once again? In addition , have you been to Charles Darwin historical house and his grand fathers in Lichfied, Staffordfshire who was a pastor?

Hi CapnG,
I agree regards your personnel faith however don't atheist do the same when they are working within the science community and reject religion and preach Darwinism?

Not really. Darwinism is at least based on something testable, not on middle-eastern fairy tales. Science is science and faith is faith. If what the science is telling you conflicts with your faith well then that's your problem, not the data's.

Glad to see you have your head up your ass as usual:)

And your responses are as charming and well thought out as ever. Have you ever considered actually responding to a post instead of just being a dick?

Try it sometime, it might be fun.

...reject religion historical texts...

They are "sacred texts" and not "historical texts" in most if not every case that comes to mind and for a reason. As far as Mormon texts being "historical", well it highly doubtful. The highly fraudulent "Book of Abraham" is a fine example of why this is so. Sacred texts are taken largely on a matter of faith since most of what is in them isn't contained or verifiable in other documents or records such as Israel's whole stay in Egypt for example.

Just finished (belatedly) listening to Dr. Salisbury. Generally I enjoyed the discussion -- he seems like a smart, level-headed guy.

I don't mind his religious angle. He was very forthright about it and also recognizes how it might (at least in some circumstances) lead you astray. It's best that people be open about beliefs that might influence their thinking.

Unlike some, I don't think that science necessarily conflicts with religion, any more than science necessarily conflicts with art or poetry. Yes, if (say) poets insist that "Dawn with Her rosy fingers" is a scientific description, or if scientists insist that you can't talk that way because it's not scientific. Otherwise, no.

Depends on your interpretations of 'historical ' and 'sacred texts 'as in history have you read Michael Cremo? its the winner who 'writes' historical 'texts' therefore even those have been tainted by predetermine theories.! Furthermore, where do you think Charles Darwin first started on his journey of investigation of 'Origin of Species ? Do your homework and start reading! Also don't be so rude to insult Dr Salisbury (Guest) and his connection to the Mormon faith as they help build USA regards its foundations! like many of the America four fathers within other religious groups.:) However, I don't suggest its all a bed of roses regards religious history.

Blessings & Peace,
BF

Depends on your interpretations of 'historical ' and 'sacred texts 'as in history have you read Michael Cremo? its the winner who 'writes' historical 'texts' therefore even those have been tainted by predetermine theories.! Furthermore, where do you think Charles Darwin first started on his journey of investigation of 'Origin of Species ? Do your homework and start reading! Also don't be so rude to insult Dr Salisbury (Guest) and his connection to the Mormon faith as they help build USA regards its foundations! like many of the America four fathers within other religious groups.:) However, I don't suggest its all a bed of roses regards religious history.

Blessings & Peace,
BF

The Mormons have a racist past as far as I know, was it not founded on the Belief God choose the white skinned person and the black skinned people were punished or bad or evil or something. I read something about the origins of the Mormons years ago many years ago, not sure if what i said is correct?

Do your homework and start reading!
Yeah, well funny you should mentioned that because as far as Mormonism and its origins goes I have done my homework and its history is a horror show of credulity and chicanery.

To take someone's "sacred texts" as "historical" ignores the very function of these texts which is to propagate belief systems and not historical facts. Also, as I've already mentioned, many if not most events recorded in "sacred texts" aren't mentioned anywhere else and are difficult or impossible to verify as having actually occurred.

Like much of what we see and hear about in the area of UFO and alien abduction phenomena, presuming that "sincerity" or "genuineness" on the part of proponents or authors of a sacred text equates with a true understanding of what has been experienced is dangerous and perhaps even foolish.

It can be argued that many sacred texts seem to point to one thing: The existence of a reality beyond the one human being's casually experience. Science has shown this to us as well without the symbolic and psychological trappings. Don't misunderstand me, I don't discount sacred texts as worthless, there is a great deal of human wisdom as well as a great deal of human foolishness contained within them. I've been reading the Tao de Ching more recently and one of my favorite passages from it goes, "Not-knowing is true knowledge. Presuming to know is a disease." I understand that I actually "know" very little if nothing at all. Today's certain knowledge could be tomorrows discarded theory. Perhaps ancient texts do contain some real history in them but the ones I have examined didn't (that my apelike brain could tell) or it was lost in the translation from one culture to another.

One last thing, I do honestly think that if you want to see how religions and their texts are formed and propagated you should study modern religions like Scientology, Mormonism, or Billy Meirism (whatever they call it). I think the pattern shines through pretty strongly. "Scared texts" are manufactured in some way and then taught as "truth" no matter how outrageous or illogical. As the information is cast out there it will find those who readily accept it and those who don't. Those accepting it create a snow-ball effect where new believers are attracted by the number of people believing it. The New Testament contains a couple of parables describing this in fact. The new religions follow the pattern of the old ones. The old ones only seem to have some validity because of centuries of refinement and acceptance by other human beings. That's my thinking, take it or leave it. That and $2.20 will get you a large coffee at Starbucks.

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

One thing about this show (which was an excellent show) that struck me was Salisbury implying that Vallee was in the country actively investigating some paranormal activity. I hope you guys quizzed about that for the upcoming show.

Blessings & Peace,
BF

I'm not sure whether it's credible to throw Cremo into this lot, even though he's an admitted follower of the Vedas. His study of OOParts is valid, they are actual physical evidence.

It is mainstream science's problem they don't accept them and if Cremo feels they support his faith, so be it.

But like Gene said, they could have easily have been put there by time travelers, which at this point is just as valid an explanation as ancient Indian demi-gods.

The Mormons have a racist past as far as I know, was it not founded on the Belief God choose the white skinned person and the black skinned people were punished or bad or evil or something. I read something about the origins of the Mormons years ago many years ago, not sure if what i said is correct?
Not quite. As I recall, Whites chose to follow God's teachings, those who rejected God to follow Satan became demons and those who refused to go in either camp were "cursed" with dark skin. . It's the typical sort of unscientific nonsense that one finds in ANY religious belief system. If that sounds absurdly over-generalized then I invite everyone to contemplate the following thought: the difference between a whacky cult and a "legitimate" religion is simply the passage of time.

I'm not sure whether it's credible to throw Cremo into this lot, even though he's an admitted follower of the Vedas. His study of OOParts is valid, they are actual physical evidence.

It is mainstream science's problem they don't accept them and if Cremo feels they support his faith, so be it.

But like Gene said, they could have easily have been put there by time travelers, which at this point is just as valid an explanation as ancient Indian demi-gods.

Good points:)

---------- Post added at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

Yeah, well funny you should mentioned that because as far as Mormonism and its origins goes I have done my homework and its history is a horror show of credulity and chicanery.

To take someone's "sacred texts" as "historical" ignores the very function of these texts which is to propagate belief systems and not historical facts. Also, as I've already mentioned, many if not most events recorded in "sacred texts" aren't mentioned anywhere else and are difficult or impossible to verify as having actually occurred.

Like much of what we see and hear about in the area of UFO and alien abduction phenomena, presuming that "sincerity" or "genuineness" on the part of proponents or authors of a sacred text equates with a true understanding of what has been experienced is dangerous and perhaps even foolish.

It can be argued that many sacred texts seem to point to one thing: The existence of a reality beyond the one human being's casually experience. Science has shown this to us as well without the symbolic and psychological trappings. Don't misunderstand me, I don't discount sacred texts as worthless, there is a great deal of human wisdom as well as a great deal of human foolishness contained within them. I've been reading the Tao de Ching more recently and one of my favorite passages from it goes, "Not-knowing is true knowledge. Presuming to know is a disease." I understand that I actually "know" very little if nothing at all. Today's certain knowledge could be tomorrows discarded theory. Perhaps ancient texts do contain some real history in them but the ones I have examined didn't (that my apelike brain could tell) or it was lost in the translation from one culture to another.

One last thing, I do honestly think that if you want to see how religions and their texts are formed and propagated you should study modern religions like Scientology, Mormonism, or Billy Meirism (whatever they call it). I think the pattern shines through pretty strongly. "Scared texts" are manufactured in some way and then taught as "truth" no matter how outrageous or illogical. As the information is cast out there it will find those who readily accept it and those who don't. Those accepting it create a snow-ball effect where new believers are attracted by the number of people believing it. The New Testament contains a couple of parables describing this in fact. The new religions follow the pattern of the old ones. The old ones only seem to have some validity because of centuries of refinement and acceptance by other human beings. That's my thinking, take it or leave it. That and $2.20 will get you a large coffee at Starbucks.

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

One thing about this show (which was an excellent show) that struck me was Salisbury implying that Vallee was in the country actively investigating some paranormal activity. I hope you guys quizzed about that for the upcoming show.

Good points and I agree with you that some types of religious teachings and groups have exploited faith towards unethical action but have some of our political and academic institutions performed in this manner as well regards social, ethical and military conflicts?

Good points and I agree with you that some types of religious teachings and groups have exploited faith towards unethical action but have some of our political and academic institutions performed in this manner as well regards social, ethical and military conflicts?
Meaning what, exactly? That everyone's hands are dirty and therfore all should be absolved? Isn't that like having the mafia acquit the yakuza of criminal activity?

CG just keep fishing and no ones going to bite pal:)

Given your arguments are toothless, I wouldn't expect you to. But you read my post which means it's in your brain and thus you will think about it, even if only for a split second, so my work is done.

The reason I don't your post is your poor attitude to anyone who disagrees with your so called debates which are just smart ass posts go hide in your ivory tower pal :)

Peace,
BF

Back