• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Doors Keyboardist Dies

Vicki was out running errands and got back and asked me, "Did you hear who died?" I looked at her and said "No Honey, who?" "Ray Manzarek died in Germany from cancer today!" I felt my heart sink. Damn, there was NEVER a group (IMHO) that could match The Doors. Ray, dead at 74. Rock on my man ... you and Jim ... Rock On!

I guess The Doors are re-uniting as of today. So, it isn't really a rendition of The End ... yet ...

I just heard and came here to post this! :eek:

It's a sad day indeed. May he rest well. I hope he had many good incidents worth watching:

Maybe he'll even hook up with Jim again in the great Cosmic Movie.

Sad news for sure. Riders on the Storm is one of my favorites. 74, man that doesn't sound right. They'll always be that brash young
band to me.

Ray was the real core of the Doors. I never cared much for their frontman ... what's his name. In fact the only album of theirs I ever actually bought more than once was Full Circle, which didn't have him on it. Now if there's an afterlife Ray can go give him hell for snorting Courson's heroin.

doors.JPG Glad i saw him several times live with 'Doors of the 21st Century' and 'Ray Manzarek and Robbie Krieger':best live shows i ever saw.And i was at many...doors.JPG

I was introduced to the Doors music when I was in high school thanks to the Oliver Stone film. I know the remaining band members had mixed reactions to it. All I knew at the time was the music in the film was better then anything playing on the radio.

Whatever one may think of these guys' lifestyles--they were REAL artists. Try to imagine them doing American Idol. No way. Their music spoke for itself.

I used to have a very jaundiced view of American Idol. For that matter there are still issues with it, but the caliber of the performers the last couple of years has actually been quite impressive and this year's winner deserves recognition. Her reaction to winning was a bit much, but her voice, as you put it, speaks for itself. What bothers me about music these days, and in particular these talent show promotions, is the corporatizing of the art form. I don't know how many people left these days really understand music as a art form as opposed to music as a talent contest. I listen to a wide cross section of musical styles. My "idols" when I was young weren't simply the lead singers. They were the individual musicians that really stood out, the Rick Wakemans, Ginger Bakers, Jimmy Pages, of the world, and whole bands as unified identities, The Pink Floyds, Eagles, Yeses ... When did our concept of "idols" suddenly become constrained to middle of the road pop-vocalists? Well ... enough of the rant because you know the answer.

I don't know how many people left these days really understand music as a art form as opposed to music as a talent contest. I listen to a wide cross section of musical styles. My "idols" when I was young weren't simply the lead singers. They were the individual musicians that really stood out, the Rick Wakemans, Ginger Bakers, Jimmy Pages, of the world, and whole bands as unified identities, The Pink Floyds, Eagles, Yeses ... When did our concept of "idols" suddenly become constrained to middle of the road pop-vocalists? Well ... enough of the rant because you know the answer.

Our thoughts on the matter are pretty much parallel. Pop music has a grand history of growing from the grassroots up (no pun intended !) by way of record sales and popular requests to on air DJ's. This world is long gone and things must change. Performance talent is still out there. But where's the originality? Maybe rock and roll will die after all. :(

Been working all day in collecting clips for a Tribute Manzarek show for my Vicious Vinyl this coming Friday. I would not have believed how badly I took Ray passing on, almost could not believe it. The Doors ... meant more to me than I could describe back in the late 60's and early 70's. I often said it was the Doors that got me thru Nam. Well, I suppose they are starting to reunite again. Ray and Jim are probably practicing for when Krieger and Densmore join them. Rock on Dudes .. Rock On ...

Been working all day in collecting clips for a Tribute Manzarek show for my Vicious Vinyl this coming Friday. I would not have believed how badly I took Ray passing on, almost could not believe it. The Doors ... meant more to me than I could describe back in the late 60's and early 70's. I often said it was the Doors that got me thru Nam. Well, I suppose they are starting to reunite again. Ray and Jim are probably practicing for when Krieger and Densmore join them. Rock on Dudes .. Rock On ...

Don, I would like to hear your take on music of that era vs the scene today.

One of my most inspirational keyboardists. Ray's work w/ the Doors was the final push I needed to secretly go out and buy my first keyboard (Farfisa Cub) when I was 13. Boy, when my parents found out, I was in TROUBLE! I remember learning the intro lick of Light My Fire on piano that summer of '67 when I was barely 10 yrs old.

One of my all-time fav fan moments was meeting and talking w/him between shows at the Bottom Line in NYC on his extended Golden Scarab tour. I bought him a glass of wine and he was gratious enough to sit w/ me and a friend at the bar for several minutes before going back stage to get ready for his second show. He struck me as a smart, passionate, genuine, gracious, all-around nice guy. No airs, no attitude.

I'm saddened by his passing, but now at least Hendrix and Co. has their keyboard player! :(

Well said, Don. The Doors were actually before my time but their music is amazing. Nothing better than stretching out atop dewy grass on a starlit night to listen to their music. That's something I need to do again sometime soon. I am sure for people like you, who lived the era and went through the turmoil, the music has an even deeper meaning. It's an important piece of history. Landmarks and memorials are very important, but the sounds have a special way of caressing the mind and adding depth to things that some remember and others may have only known through history books and lectures.

Our thoughts on the matter are pretty much parallel. Pop music has a grand history of growing from the grassroots up (no pun intended !) by way of record sales and popular requests to on air DJ's. This world is long gone and things must change. Performance talent is still out there. But where's the originality? Maybe rock and roll will die after all. :(

If it's any consolation, I can't see their tunes (and others who were amazing - at least in my view - like Zeppelin, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, etc.) as anything less than immortal. I always liked classic rock. My dad was/is a big Stones fan, but at that point I hadn't heard a lot of Doors stuff yet. I had an awesome student English teacher in high school who did this really interesting lesson using the song The End as a way to tell the Epic of Gilgamesh. I was hooked from then on and started perusing my dad's record collection in the basement.

I think there will be others like me who find the music and pass the torch. It may sound dramatic, but their music is so soulful. I find it impossible to not be moved at times. It's those musicians who will touch new generations as time goes on, even if the new stuff isn't as original or deep.

And if anyone is ever in the Pittsburgh area, make sure you check the lazer show schedule at the Carnegie Science Center. They used to do a ton of Pink Floyd and Zeppelin shows and one month they had a Doors program going. I went every weekend (I think they only used to do them Friday and Saturday nights but I haven't been there in a while so that may have changed). If they have any of those going - I highly recommend checking it out. It's an amazing way to experience the music. :)

What clips are you looking for ?

Sad...but what a gift Ray has given us via his music! Whoever stated something about Ray being so "center" of the group, I really agree with that. It's like when you hear the Doors in your head you typically are hearing something Ray played.

Back