• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

December 14th School Shootings

Bob Watson

Paranormal Adept
30 dead..words can not describe the sensless act that was done today. 18 kids. If you are a parent hug your kids give them extra love..

Watching this from the uk, cant put into words the sense of horror seeing this unfold. I seriously wonder on days like this, how we think we are such sentient beings. I hope none on this forum are affected directly by this tragedy, i really have no more to say.................

The kid that did this had to be one seriously deranged sonofabitch. My heart goes out to the victims and their families.

I wonder how long it will be until the conspiracy nutjobs get their hands on this story and start spinning it to be some CIA/FBI/Illuminati psyop designed to get us all to surrender our guns to the UN before we all get thrown into those FEMA camps?

An hour ago a client and I were discussing this senseless tragedy and how such a thing could take place. She said "God works in mysterious ways and He had a good reason to call these beloved children home to His Kingdom."

I asked what that reason could possibly be...

She replied "I don't know... but He LOVES all the little children of the world and He LOVES you too."

Next week I am applying for a permit to purchase then take the class to get my permit to carry. I don't plan on being on the receiving end of this sort of "love".

I haven't too much to say on this right now, but I have to question the intelligence of interviewing the kids, even with parental consent.Ithink I've heard a couple of diffetent ones now.

I'm gutted to hear of yet another senseless shooting. The fact it was at a school makes it that bit harder to comprehend. You hate your boss and your girlfriend sleeps with your best mate - go 'postal'. NO killing like that is justified but shooting a bunch of kids who cannot possibly deserve any such thing is just beyond me.

It's not the time to debate guns in America - another day for that.

A madman some years back killed 16 kids at an elementary school in Scotland. Because of that and a couple of incidents previous - handguns were 100% banned for citizens. You need a license kept at the local police station to own a hunting rifle or shotgun now. No auto's and no semi's.

The UK has always been strict with firearms and if the police get even a whiff of someone having a gun without a license, you can fully expect two Rangerover's full of very highly trained Police marksmen to surround you and not take even a remote chance - none of this 'put the gun down, let's talk about this' etc. If it's even in your hand, your dead. Period.

I find it really strange thinking of our Prime Minister and the US President sitting down together as allies, having a lot in common about how we perceive the world, but in one country, owning multiple guns is a right, and you can carry them concealed etc but in the other country if the Police see you with a gun you will be pumped full of rounds. How can we agree on so much but in one place you can do something and in the other it's seen as one of the worst crimes that always is met with an extreme response?

I am really sorry for all the victims and families. As always, the few spoil it for the majority.

Weve had similar incidents here in Australia, but they seem to happen with disturbing regularity in the US.

We hope we never see another port arthur massacre again down here, but it seems positively inevitable this will happen again and again in the states.

I don't have any data to back this up, but I sometimes wonder if there are environmental factors leading to the creation of monsters like the shooter. What if we found that a given medication, used either by the perpetrator or the mother, could somehow alter the mind of the person to allow them to become this murderous? What if it was something in our food or water, something about our use of electronics, and/or the way children grow up? We seem to have quite a number of sociopaths in our midst, even if not all of them ever pick up a gun. Is there something (existing or lacking) in our modern way of life setting off triggers in certain minds, telling them to kill others or themselves? [Even give these horrific shootings, suicide remains a much more common death than homicide in the U.S., and I believe in the U.K. and Australia as well. It's just unfortunate that the shooter didn't do himself in first.]

Can a culture have an independent intelligence existing with a mind of its own, and can that intelligence willfully breed such monstrosities?

Very sad indeed and sending blessings to all the victims families and the shooters family who are victims as well. No one can control a individual who goes off the deep end and can't blame guns rather the individuals who use them. They should have shooters licences like in Australia and have to be over certain age. Also stored in a secure locked arms cabinets away from children. Everybody loses in this case and rather than people go off in a conspiracy agenda give all the families time to morn,

God bless

At the UW flags were lowered to half mast...when I. Heard most of the kids were 5 years olds I thiught of my son. As a father I can't. Think of how these familys are going thu. This man was insane and I hope hell has a specal place reseved for him.

Just watching predictably oriented responses from both left and right on one of the TV channels, all overly simplistic and mostly just plain wrong. IMO, the American male is increaisngly broken and I am not sure anyone knows why.

Shame on me for trotting out one more egghead psychologist. But I think many of Zimbardo's observations are astute.

The advantages of being an old fart are few. But it does give one a certain perspective on history. When I was a "boy" :

-I grew up in Texas where most people owned guns. There were always a few 'gun nuts' around. But guns mostly stayed quietly in the drawer or closet to be handled only under adult supervision for hunting or target practice.
-Violent crime rates were a fraction of today's.
-There were no drive by shootings.
-There were no mass stranger shootings.
-We frequently left doors unlocked at home, both while at home and away.
-There was traditional crime, but no SWAT teams. They were rarely if ever needed.

Mass shootings are symptomatic of a larger problem involving intense free-floating anger, lack of ethical inhibition, and detachment from reality.

Sorry to sound crass by jumping straight into questions about underlying causes to these horrific events. But I see this culture as having psychological and social pathologies of which these events are alarming symptoms.

If it were the 1950s they'd blame Rock n Roll. If it were the 1960s they'd blame Rock n' Roll and Drugs. I predict we'll have people who blame video games, violent movies, gang rap, and the Internet. And maybe someone will also try to connect the dots with big pharma. The police say, "He may have had a personality disorder." No kidding Sherlock ... Will we ever learn the motive? I dunno. Up here we once had a shooter who killed some women in a Quebec polytechnical institute. He'd written up a manifesto that was sequestered by the police for years ... it turned out to be some sort of quasi Islamic anti-feminist rant. I don't think this recent killer kid was Islamic, but he did host LAN gaming parties. What is the common denominator about these school shootings? Hmm ... what about the word "school"? Apparently the kid was an honor student and his mom was a teacher. These kids spend more time in school than anywhere else and they seem to make it a target. Why doesn't anyone ever ask if perhaps the school system is somehow a contributing factor?

America, does need better gun controls. Sorry, i think its crazy to allow the public to have guns. Ok someone might require a gun for a good reason, but something is seriously wrong with a society that allows guns to be sold in stores Like America isn't a warzone. Most middle class Americans likely will be safe still without their gun.

The guy simply was a sad, mad evil little c**t. I don't care how much your mum and dad did or did not love you, if your girlfriend left you or whatever. There just is no reason enough to go and kill a load of kids.

I would naturally jump to wandering about his upbringing, like whether there was obvious morality in his household but one of the strangest things about these cases is that often, the family life was fine, the parents did a good job. You have to wonder tho, a guy with the same anger and feelings as this demon guy - in a country where he did not have access to firearms - would he have chosen to kill all those people if he did not have guns? I doubt it because simply it is much harder to go on a killing spree if you don't have a gun. You just dont get spree killings like this in a country without available guns.

I just wonder at what point the right to bear arms, no longer trumps the right to enjoy a movie and come home safe, or the right to send your 5 year old to school and have them come home safe.

I understand the reasons behind the 2nd amendment, but its outdated.
When it was written warfare had a certain parity, but thats long gone.
Air superiority is now the trump card in a conflict, any militia without an airforce is going to get carpet bombed by the side that does.
Simply put the 2nd amendment no longer provides the checks and balances it did when it was written.

But i also know no one is going to redact the 2nd amendment, the gun lobby is too powerful, too much money is at stake, and the cultural love affair with guns will continue like an abusive relationship, with continued casualtys.

I dont see a way to put that genie back in the bottle

America, does need better gun controls. Sorry, i think its crazy to allow the public to have guns. Ok someone might require a gun for a good reason, but something is seriously wrong with a society that allows guns to be sold in stores Like America isn't a warzone. Most middle class Americans likely will be safe still without their gun.

Gun control isn't going to stop the bad guys or any other nutcase intent on shooting people and themselves from getting guns. It will only prevent law abiding citizens who could shoot back from being able to defend themselves. It's trajic, that much is certain. But the more important question is what are the factors that lead to this kind of thing happening in the first place? Shooting guns at people isn't the cause, it's the symptom. But of what exactly? Clearly it's not a symptom of guns. You can hand a gun to any normal sane person and they don't suddenly turn into a raving psycho and start shooting people. There is something deeper going on here. Is it "evil"? What does that mean? Does it mean he was possessed by some demon? That doesn't sound very rational. Did he just "snap" and go insane? Normal people just don't do that. There is usually some kind of severe emotional and mental stress required to make someone go off the deep end. Up to that point the guy was just a regular nerd who liked playing video games and hanging out with his buddies. None of this adds up. Maybe it never will. Let's see what the inquiry reveals.

Back