• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

COVID-19 News

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I would tell the experience I had with a Covid breakthrough case.

In March I got the two Pfizer shots. In mid July I flew from Phoenix to Colorado for a Saturday night concert at the open air venue Red Rocks. I flew back Sunday night. On Monday night I started having an unusual occasional upper respiratory cough. Two days later I came down with a high fever. The fever lasted 8 days, often up over 103 (I kept knocking it lower to 100-101 with Ibuprofen). Midway through the fever I totally lost my appetite, taste and smell. Ended up losing 8 pounds. After the fever ended I felt tired and wiped out. It took another 14 days to fully return to 100%. I think most importantly. it never had any affect on my lungs, which of course can put you in the hospital and cause death. As lousy as I felt, having been vaccinated I never had any concern I would end up in the hospital. Halfway through the fever I went to the doctor where I tested positive for Covid. I asked the doctor if she had seen any cases where a person was experiencing a not too serious case of Covid, then had a downturn and ended up in the hospital. She said she had seen no such cases among the vaccinated, but had seen it among the unvaccinated. None of the friends I had been around in Colorado, all of whom had been vaccinated, caught it from me. With me wearing a mask, distancing, and sleeping in a different room, my wife who is vaccinated did not catch it.

As some pure speculation, I’ve read that even with the more potent Delta variant it takes 3-5 days from exposure to first symptoms. That would mean I had caught the virus before the concert. I was partying pretty hard at the concert. I’ve wondered if the alcohol might have somewhat impaired my immune system's response to the virus, resulting in a more severe breakthrough case. The only person I noticed during the trip that seemed sick was the person sitting next to me on the flight back who was continually clearing his throat during the 2 hour flight. But again, that was only 24 hours before my first symptoms.

Thanks for the update. Yes, I agree caution needs to be observed until more people get the vaccine.

Glad you're feeling well again.

My next door neighbor has a breakthrough infection; we stay far away from her obviously.

The only person I noticed during the trip that seemed sick was the person sitting next to me on the flight back who was continually clearing his throat during the 2 hour flight. But again, that was only 24 hours before my first symptoms.
I probably would have asked the airline to move to another seat regardless, or at least complained. But I can see where you probably were already infected.

The middle seat next to me was the last open seat on the plane (Southwest). And he was the last person to get on the plane before we took off. He didn't look seriously sick. But the way he kept clearing his throat during the flight had me wondering even before I had any idea I would be coming down with Covid. And as you said, I was showing symptoms only 24 hours later so I was most probably already infected.

Two people I spoke with last night. One a Lyft driver said she had a significant case of Covid last December before she was vaccinated. It included breathing difficulty. She said that for 3 months after it ended she still did not recover her taste and smell. Then my friend told me his brother-in-law had a case last fall. His taste and smell didn't come back for 6 months. (Thankfully mine came back after a week). I heard a report in which they said they suspect the prolonged loss of taste and smell results from the virus's affect on an area of the brain.

Being unvaccinated is playing the odds. It's not about freedom of choice, but whether you run the risk of getting a contagious disease and hence threatening the freedoms and personal choices of others who might catch it from you. At the same time, you may become infected by someone else who made a similar choice. It's not about Big Brother forcing you to become vaccinated. It is about health and safety.

Yes, you could still get COVID after being vaccinated, but the odds favor your swift recovery.

So:

In short, people in the U.S. do not have a "constitutional right" to infect other people with a contagious disease:

This summer there has been a spike in calls to US poison control centers resulting from an increasing number of Covid anti-vaccine people taking the horse deworming drug ivermectin thinking it will prevent Covid. The CDC has issued a warning to stop taking the potentially lethal drug.

A police captain who refused the vaccine and took the anti-parasitic ivermectin to combat COVID-19 dies from the virus

The CDC warned against taking ivermectin for COVID-19 after reports of tremors and disorientation from the deworming drug

I encountered a very troubling situation today when I went to the Banner Desert Medical Center, in Mesa, AZ, to undergo a heart-related diagnostic procedure.

So Barbara and I took an Uber to get there, since she is not presently able to drive due to her eyesight. When we arrived, there was no clear labeling as to the location of the Admissions building, and so the driver asked a nurse waiting outside one of the entrances. She said that was the right place. It wasn't, so Barbara and I had to walk the equivalent of several blocks to the other side of the complex.

In the end, a maintenance person took us in his vehicle to the right location.

I was 25 minutes late, but that wasn't the issue. The receptionist absentmindedly took our temperatures, but made no effort whatever to confirm that we had been fully vaccinated, which was a requirement to be allowed in the complex. Ahead of scheduling, I was told I'd also need to take a COVID-19 test at one of Banner's urgent care facilities, but nobody called me to make the appointment, and nobody asked at the registration desk.

As to the procedure itself, that's another story for another day. Long and short is that Banner Desert Medical Center, one of the largest medical complexes in Arizona, clearly has no understanding of the correct measures for health and safety in a pandemic. Their online reviews are mediocre, and I can see why. Should I require additional medicare care in the future — unless it's an absolute emergency — I will not go there, and I recommend those of you who live in this area should be equally cautious.

And this is about taking the concept of people who oppose mask and vaccine requirements to its ultimate conclusion:

Our local gov here in Finland is also slow and reactive. vaxx pace is slowing down, best estimate for 80% is late Nov.
It seems that some gov elements would like nothing best than keep strangling the bars and shows businesses.
Left-wing is not equal to liberal here, quite contrary.

It's hard to think a question of vaccines would become so politically charged with so many nonsense excuses. But we live in strange times. We need ET to land and straighten things out. No, wait a minute! Perhaps ET is behind this mess. :)

Yes, the lizard people aliens, who live underground. ?

For COVID-19, its unbeliavable here that they operate like its year before. No lessons learned.
New rebellion is now brewing among restaurants.

The only way this will work is to basically force the issue. No vaccination, you don't have the freedom to visit restaurants, work, visit museums or attend concerts.

There's the story of this teacher who went maskless and infected half her class at a school. Yeah that's freedom all right.

Yep, I noticed that. Its nuts.

Here the vaxx pass is something they will never can do. Thet is because this Nordic Social Democrat:ism which the Biden supporters seem to admire so much. That means in practise that they protect the rights of the unvaccinated, that overrides everything. Vaxx passes are here illegal bercause they discriminate.

The industry fights back, but its hard to do that against the gov. Industry has been pushing for vaxx passes since early spring, and we have now a whole EU system for it. But its discriminotary here.

And seat belts, and motorcycle helmets, and door locks. People should have the freedom to open any door and raid refrigerators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back