• SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY A PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will be able to download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive After The Paracast podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! FLASH! For a limited time, you can save up to 40% on your subscription. Long-term susbcribers will receive free Amazon gift cards. It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

COVID-19 News

Randall

J. Randall Murphy
Staff member
I do not know the ins and outs of the political situation in Calgary, but whatever is being done is being done incorrectly ...
A lot of people here in Calgary would agree with that statement, not all of them on the same page. One thing you are completely right about, is that I am as tired of the conversation as many others. Part of me would love to just forget any of it and pretend I can live a normal life. Thankfully for my situation, I can do that better than most non-retired people.

But then something will remind me of all those who can't just shelter at home, and it affects me. I wish it didn't. But then I think, what kind of people are those who aren't affected? It's rough on those of us who think this way because we want to make some kind of difference, but we've all been marginalized by gears turning on a far more massive scale. It seems we're nothing against them.

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
It only shows that black and white solutions don't work. But when politics are thrown into the picture, shades of gray become impossible to discuss.

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
Of course Randall will dispute all this, but in light of the erratic testing in the U.S., it's very likely far more people have been infected than has been estimated. Could be several times more.

Randall

J. Randall Murphy
Staff member
Of course Randall will dispute all this, but in light of the erratic testing in the U.S., it's very likely far more people have been infected than has been estimated. Could be several times more.

I liked your post just because you alluded to me in a manner that preserves my reputation as a rabble-rouser :p. Unfortunately I don't have sufficient reason to dispute that more people than estimated have been infected. Given that between 40 and 90% of the people who are infected never even know they have COVID, it's entirely possible.

What I do have a problem with is the death count presumption. The way death counts from covid have been skewed by changes to mortality reporting requirements brought-in during the pandemic can mean a difference of literally millions upon millions in the global statistical scheme. It's all been documented in the thread, so no point in rehashing that evidence.

And what is left out ( as usual ) are all those otherwise perfectly healthy people who have died and will die in the future as collateral damage from pandemic management. The following article was from a year ago. How many more since then?

The health care system needs expanding, but increasing capacity has consistently been at the bottom of the priority list, unless you're in China, where they can build a new hospital in 10 days.

Dr John Lee on Covid - Is the cure worse than the disease?​

Last edited: