• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Consciousness Experiments

hak

Skilled Investigator
Here's an idea. Perhaps a group of us can do some consciousness experiments and document them on some level on the forum. I personally love to work with my consciousness in the form of meditation and certain physical exercises.
We have a ton of brains on this forum, and some of them are truly interested in brain mechanics and consciousness. And I was thinking.. instead of just reading about it, let's do it, using common sense of course!
We can create or, more likely, recreate experiments and document what happens.
Anyone interested?

Consciousness Experiements

It's funny you mention this. I just finished Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol and one of the major themes of the book is noetic science, which is exactly the study of how the human mind has an effect on the physical world.
For now, noetic science is just an idea, but if the researchers are right, and the prove it, it would be the next huge discovery.

O.k whoever has Psychokinesis raise my hand. :p

I'm sorry I couldn't resist. :cool: It does sound like an interesting idea though although I don't know how we could do it here.

I've never heard of this! Sounds very exciting... I'll see if there is an audio-book. Thank you Angelo.

I've never heard of this! Sounds very exciting... I'll see if there is an audio-book. Thank you Angelo.

Really? Dan Brown? He wrote the DaVinci Code! To me, that's like someone not knowing about Star Wars :)

In all honesty, he is not good writer in the literal sense. He does spin a good tale though.

Tyder,
This is the internet! We have power! Aside from folding the laundry (or anything practical like that), with the internet we can do anything.
Obviously they would have to be individual exeriments..But say if someone decided to try to "communicate telepathically" to someone else, they wouldn't tell that person about it, they might tell other members.. and we would sit back and see if anything interesting happens.
I think we would have to set up the experiments with the help of any scientists on the forum.

We would have to become very aware and analytical.

I don't think he's a very good writer either. But, he indeed does spin a good yarn. Although I'm an avid reader I'll wait for the movie when it comes to Mr. Brown. :)

I don't think he's a very good writer either. But, he indeed does spin a good yarn. Although I'm an avid reader I'll wait for the movie when it comes to Mr. Brown. :)

Just to say, I would not read a book about writing by him, whereas I own the book "On Writing" by our good buddy Stephen King.

Really? Dan Brown? He wrote the DaVinci Code! To me, that's like someone not knowing about Star Wars :)

In all honesty, he is not good writer in the literal sense. He does spin a good tale though.

I never read the DaVinci code.. not to brag, but I read the books that spawened the DaVinci code 20 years ago (okay I'm brag),... what is the name.. Holy something, Holy Grail.. bloody Grail, holy.. oh god I can't remember it.. now that was a book! Holy Blood Holy Grail?

this one
That book was amazing!

I never read the DaVinci code.. not to brag, but I read the books that spawened the DaVinci code 20 years ago (okay I'm brag),... what is the name.. Holy something, Holy Grail.. bloody Grail, holy.. oh god I can't remember it.. now that was a book! Holy Blood Holy Grail?

I thought that book was awesome, until I found out it was a complete fraud. After that, I sort of felt cheated, but it still provided a good read. They would never have sold as many if they had published it as fiction though.

I think we need to think about experiments..

I thought that book was awesome, until I found out it was a complete fraud. After that, I sort of felt cheated, but it still provided a good read. They would never have sold as many if they had published it as fiction though.
I'm not sure if your referring to DaVinci Code, I heard that was based on very shakey resources... And I believe the Holy Grail people tried to sue??

I've personally had some luck with dreams...
intested??
I don't know if anyone is interested in the pursuit of this experiment??

There could also be OBE experiments..

Or we can take baby steps and work on things like bio-feedback??

I think we need to think about experiments..

I'm not sure if your referring to DaVinci Code, I heard that was based on very shakey resources... And I believe the Holy Grail people tried to sue??

Yeah, sorry about turning this into a book club.Just to clarify though, I meant Holy Blood, Holy Grail. It was a complete fraud. Still an interesting premise though.

I think it was "conjecture" they did alot of research, and then they made up a story line... I think that's how these things work in general. Isn't that what theories are?? I don't think I read it as a factual book, but more as a theoretical one.

I've personally had some luck with dreams... intested?? I don't know if anyone is interested in the pursuit of this experiment??

Sounds interesting. I've had some experiences with lucid dreaming myself.

I'll get the book... see what's inside!

---------- Post added at 06:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 AM ----------

You can get the book pretty cheaply.
Tyler have you ever experimented with brain-wave CD's?
I have to work, I'll check back later tonight.

I'll get the book... see what's inside!

---------- Post added at 06:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 AM ----------

You can get the book pretty cheaply.
Tyler have you ever experimented with brain-wave CD's?
I have to work, I'll check back later tonight.

I haven't done anything with brain wave but it sounds interesting.

Not many takers on this.. I was hoping there would be. But I did purchase the book, and will be looking into it.

Lucid dreams, have you had any recently Tyler? Do you have any thoughts on consciousness experiments??

Not many takers on this.. I was hoping there would be. But I did purchase the book, and will be looking into it.

Lucid dreams, have you had any recently Tyler? Do you have any thoughts on consciousness experiments??

It's been a year or two but it seems that every once in a while God or the universe decides to clean out my cobwebs and kind of "poke" me awake. Also, I've cut down on caffine lately and that seems to help me dream longer and rember them a little better. I was drinking coffee in the morning and cola during the day and I found myself not really sleeping enough to dream. It's funny but when I cut back to a cup or so of coffee or switch to decaf and cut out the sodas completely I dream a little better. I'm going to try an expereiment this weekend. I'm gonna take Melatonin right before I go to bed and get quite by reading a book or something and see what happens.

Global Consciousness Project

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
<table class="metadata plainlinks ambox ambox-content" style=""> <tbody><tr> <td class="mbox-image">
</td> <td class="mbox-text" style="">This article needs additional citations for verification.
<small>Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (September 2009)</small></td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table class="metadata plainlinks ambox ambox-content" style=""> <tbody><tr> <td class="mbox-image">
</td> <td class="mbox-text" style="">This article needs references that appear in reliable third-party publications. Primary sources or sources affiliated with the subject are generally not sufficient for a Wikipedia article. Please add more appropriate citations from reliable sources. <small>(September 2009)</small></td> </tr> </tbody></table> The Global Consciousness Project (GCP, also called the EGG Project) is a parapsychology experiment begun in 1998, described as an attempt to detect potential interactions of "global consciousness" with physical systems. The project monitors a geographically distributed network of hardware random number generators to uncover potential anomalies in their output which might correlate with world events that elicit widespread emotional response or focused attention by large numbers of people.<sup id="cite_ref-bancel_0-0" class="reference">[1]</sup> According to the GCP, the experiment aims to test a conjecture they feel would extend the range of anomalous phenomena currently encompassed by psi research. The GCP is privately funded through the Institute of Noetic Sciences<sup id="cite_ref-1" class="reference">[2]</sup> and describes itself as an international collaboration of about 100 research scientists and engineers.
Skeptics such as Robert T. Carroll, Claus Larsen, and others have questioned the methodology of the Global Consciousness Project, particularly how the data are selected and interpreted,<sup id="cite_ref-schiavo_2-0" class="reference">[3]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-3" class="reference">[4]</sup> saying the data anomalies reported by the project are the result of "pattern matching" and selection bias which ultimately fail to support a belief in psi or global consciousness.<sup id="cite_ref-4" class="reference">[5]</sup>
<table id="toc" class="toc"> <tbody><tr> <td> Contents

[hide]

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> [edit] Background

Roger D. Nelson developed the project as an extrapolation of two decades of experiments from the controversial Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research Lab (PEAR),<sup id="cite_ref-NY_Times_2007-02-06_5-0" class="reference">[6]</sup> which Nelson says appeared to show that electronic noise-based, random number generators (RNG or REG, random event generators) seem to be influenced by human consciousness to bring about a less-than-random sequence of data.
In an extension of the laboratory research called FieldREG, investigators examined the outputs of REGs in the field, before, during and after highly focused or coherent group events. The group events studied included psychotherapy sessions, theater presentations, religious rituals, sports competitions such as the Football World Cup, and television broadcasts like the Academy Awards.<sup id="cite_ref-6" class="reference">[7]</sup>
FieldREG was extended to global dimensions in studies looking at data from 12 independent REGs in the US and Europe during a web-promoted "Gaiamind Meditation" in January 1997, and then again in September 1997 after the death of Diana, Princess of Wales. The results suggested it would be worthwhile to build a permanent network of continuously-running REGs.<sup id="cite_ref-7" class="reference">[8]</sup> This became the EGG project or Global Consciousness Project.
Comparing the GCP to PEAR, Nelson, referring to the "field" studies with REGs done by PEAR, said the GCP used "exactly the same procedure... applied on a broader scale."<sup id="cite_ref-8" class="reference">[9]</sup>
[edit] Research

The GCP's methodology is based on the hypothesis that events which elicit widespread emotion or draw the simultaneous attention of large numbers of people may affect the output of hardware random number generators in a statistically significant way.<sup id="cite_ref-bancel_0-1" class="reference">[1]</sup> The GCP maintains a network of hardware random number generators which are interfaced to computers at 65 locations around the world. Custom software reads the output of the random number generators and records a trial (sum of 200 bits) once every second. The data are sent to a server in Princeton, creating a database of synchronized parallel sequences of random numbers. The GCP is run as a replication experiment, essentially combining the results of many distinct tests of the hypothesis. The hypothesis is tested by calculating the extent of data fluctuations at the time of events. The procedure is specified by a three-step experimental protocol.<sup id="cite_ref-9" class="reference">[10]</sup> In the first step, the event duration and the calculation algorithm are pre-specified and entered into a formal registry.<sup id="cite_ref-10" class="reference">[11]</sup> In the second step, the event data are extracted from the database and a Z score, which indicates the degree of deviation from the null hypothesis, is calculated from the pre-specified algorithm. In the third step, the event Z-score is combined with the Z-scores from previous events to yield an overall result for the experiment. The GCP claims that, as of late 2009, the cumulative result of more than 300 registered events significantly supports their hypothesis.<sup id="cite_ref-11" class="reference">[12]</sup>
The remote devices have been dubbed Princeton Eggs, a reference to the coinage electrogaiagram, a portmanteau of electroencephalogram and Gaia.<sup id="cite_ref-12" class="reference">[13]</sup> Supporters and skeptics have referred to the aim of the GCP as being analogous to detecting "a great disturbance in The Force."<sup id="cite_ref-schiavo_2-1" class="reference">[3]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-13" class="reference">[14]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-14" class="reference">[15]</sup>
[edit] Criticism

Based on an exploratory analysis of 'highly statistically significant' experimental results, the GCP has suggested changes in the level of randomness may have occurred during the September 11, 2001 attacks at the times of the plane impacts and the building collapses, and over the two days following the disaster.<sup id="cite_ref-15" class="reference">[16]</sup> Moreover, the GCP has identified similar 'anomalies' in the EGG data hours and even days before the attacks; while the GCP does not claim a causal relationship,<sup id="cite_ref-16" class="reference">[17]</sup> such changes—if genuine—would seem to imply either subconscious mass precognition, or backwards causality.<sup id="cite_ref-17" class="reference">[18]</sup>
Independent scientists Edwin May and James Spottiswoode conducted an analysis of the data around the 11 September 2001 events and concluded there was no statistically significant change in the randomness of the GCP data during the attacks and the apparent significant deviation reported by Nelson and Radin existed only in their chosen time window.<sup id="cite_ref-MaySpottiswoode_18-0" class="reference">[19]</sup> Spikes and fluctuations are to be expected in any random distribution of data, and there is no set time frame for how close a spike has to be to a given event for the GCP to say they have found a correlation.<sup id="cite_ref-MaySpottiswoode_18-1" class="reference">[19]</sup> Wolcotte Smith said "A couple of additional statistical adjustments would have to be made to determine if there really was a spike in the numbers," referencing the data related to September 11, 2001.<sup id="cite_ref-19" class="reference">[20]</sup> Similarly, Jeffrey D. Scargle believes unless both Bayesian and classical p-value analysis agree and both show the same anomalous effects, the kind of result GCP proposes will not be generally accepted.<sup id="cite_ref-Scargle_20-0" class="reference">[21]</sup>
In 2003, a New York Times article concluded "All things considered at this point, the stock market seems a more reliable gauge of the national—if not the global—emotional resonance."<sup id="cite_ref-21" class="reference">[22]</sup>
According to The Age, Nelson concedes "the data, so far, is not solid enough for global consciousness to be said to exist at all. It is not possible, for example, to look at the data and predict with any accuracy what (if anything) the eggs may be responding to."<sup id="cite_ref-22" class="reference">[23]</sup>
Robert Matthews called it "the most sophisticated attempt yet" to prove psychokinesis existed, but cited the unreliability of significant events to cause statistically significant spikes, concluding "the only conclusion to emerge from the Global Consciousness Project so far is that data without a theory is as meaningless as words without a narrative". <sup id="cite_ref-23" class="reference">[24]</sup>
This may interest you, sorry for getting it kind of backwards.
Here's an idea. Perhaps a group of us can do some consciousness experiments and document them on some level on the forum. I personally love to work with my consciousness in the form of meditation and certain physical exercises.
We have a ton of brains on this forum, and some of them are truly interested in brain mechanics and consciousness. And I was thinking.. instead of just reading about it, let's do it, using common sense of course!
We can create or, more likely, recreate experiments and document what happens.
Anyone interested?

Back