• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Consciousness and the Paranormal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remote viewing not making enough progress yet? Did anyone think it was going to be easy to find out what it is in nature that facilitates anomalous communication of information from a distance? Some physicists are working on it and might make progress but we'll have to wait. Why get upset in the meantime? Tyger, you are such a generous and kind woman. I'm going to follow what goes on here, without getting further embroiled, just to keep up with you and your encouraging balance and insight. I find swimming in these generally hyperskeptical waters fairly discouraging and mildly toxic; there's no chance of increasing openness to ideas and experiences that I find interesting. I could maybe change some minds if I shared the experiences I've had across a considerable dimension of be-ing, but this is the last place I'd share them. No offense. It's just not important enough to me to engage in persuasion when/where doing so is such an uphill struggle. I hope y'all have a lovely holiday season and a happy new year.

Whenever our voices are in disagreement I find that if you can try to limit, or reorient your emotional respone to the other points of view, there is often a lot to learn, or sometimes shift your previously held position. Of course, everyone presents and responds to contrary positions according to their nature. That's what's be-ing's all about.

Sure, there's toxicity, but I don't see skepticism as toxic at all. It challenges magical thinking and it confronts our hopes and beliefs. This has been a very healthy experience for me. Admittedly, I've only become more skeptical from hanging out on this forum. I have been compelled to think even more critically than I do normally, even about my own few experiences that I would qualify as truly bizarre, or even otherworldly. Being doubtful promotes understanding IMHO.

I like sharing these stories, and enjoy the stories of others even more. I hope you reconsider not sharing. Our reality is individual; our doubts and desires are both collective feelings. This is the first place I've felt positive about sharing my magical experiences. I'm open to be engaged about them, and I don't really care too much about what other people think about events that are beyond my control and have happened in the past. What's most important is the collective, creative tapestry we weave: many voices=new thoughts.

I am deeply indebted to a lot of different voices, personalities and real people here who have shifted my perspectives. Some are magical thinkers, and fertile, and generous in their thoughts. The critical voices are just as probing and diligent in how they engage topics. Both are creative in their thinking. To those folloing along with these traditions, I also wish everyone a peaceful, holiday season. More stories please. Wonderful thread.

I notice whenever i visit my hometown my kids take the 30 year old ouija board I handmade and painted when I was in high school and use it all the time over the holidays. Nothing functional comes out of this.

When I was in high school I used a ouija board regularly and daily in the summer. I kept a journal with detailed notes of my contacts. Often I felt that the 'voice' of the board seemed to know things it shouldn't about me, and other people. 'It' created a false personality and historical figure as its persona, which shifted over time ending in a tumultuous, almost haunting session that caused a break within our Ouija group.

I could not corroborate any information supplied by the board about its identity. The board was useless at supplying practical info i.e. missing keys or lottery winning numbers. It once distracted us while ouijaing in a graveyard and we were oblivious to raging fire with firefighters in the woods around us - that was as trippy as the time the board tried to convince my dad the voice was real by correctly identifying the name of his coworker that had just recently comnitted suicide. I was unaware of the suicide but supplied this informtion without my father touching the planchette. Once the Ouija made this girl become inconsolably hysterical. Once, on the way to a ouija session i found a small gold charm from a bracelet on the ground with the name of our 7 year old girl contact engraved on it- Heather. That the freaked out the group.

While i ouijaed for 1.5 years, I eventually stopped and decided that barring a few odd instances, all information supplied by the Ouija is done so through a combination of setting, people present, and all spellings of the planchette are done unconsciously by those who operate and touch the planchette.

Nothing of real or concrete value ever came from those many, many hours spent immersed in regular use of the Ouija - some downright bizarre stuff, but nothing very useful. Has RV ever done anything useful?

Oh, the Ouija Board - everyone has a story! Here's mine. :)

One Christmas when we were all teenagers - I or my sister - received an Ouija board as a present and we proceeded to play with it in the afternoon.

The marker [planchette] was particularly strong with my sister and me working it - and we both claimed the other was moving the marker. (Between you and me - my sister was moving the marker. :D )

Anyway, we were all unmarried - four siblings - and we asked the usual questions about marriage partners. The results for my eldest brother were very puzzling. The board indicated that my eldest brother would marry - but when we asked who he would marry, the marker spelled out 'parent'. WTF?

So we asked again - stipulating the name of the person he would marry, and again, the answer spelled out was 'parent'. No matter how we phrased the question the answer came out as 'parent'. It became a joke, albeit a bit embarrassing as who marries their parent?

We even left the board for a while, came back and asked again - same answer. While to other questions - like who my second brother would marry - total standstill. Nothing. (And he never did marry). But ask about the eldest brother and the marker jubilantly spelled out 'parent'. :confused:

We put the board away - the aggressiveness of the marker actually spooked my sister and I - and we never took it out again.

Fast forward about 8 to 10 years. My eldest brother was finally marrying in his early 30's to a woman he had known for about 2 years or so. Her name? Last name: Parent. Blew my mind when I realized it - when the memory came back to me.

I wonder what other answers lurked within that board had my sister and I been brave enough to continue - though honestly - we sensed we were contacting something but it was the unknown of a kind that felt powerful and 'dangerous' to toy with.

In fact subsequently, every teacher of the subtler realms I have come across has had a warning about the Ouija board precisely because the access is not conscious. One does not know the calibre of what or who one is consorting with - if one is 'consorting' at all. I know something was afoot but whether it was an 'outside' agency or the conjoined astrality of my sister and I - who knows. The question of how it could have been so accurate about a name 8 to 10 years in the future - and subject to free-will and all manner of intervening events - remains.

Last edited:
Very interesting, Tyger, because this constituted precognitive subconscious knowledge (if subconscious knowledge of participants at the board was the source of the information). And by your description of events, the same precognitive information was repeated consistently on many occasions, years apart, when different members of the family were using the board.

ps: I too have heard that experimenting with oiuja boards is not advisable for non-mediums. The device seems capable of attracting a wide range of discarnate beings, some not in a healthy state of mind. That has also happened of course in sittings with skilled mediums, but in those cases it has been handled with less upset and disruption.

Very interesting, Tyger, because this constituted precognitive subconscious knowledge (if subconscious knowledge of participants at the board was the source of the information).

So we can describe it - but what is the mechanism? Why is it happening? What is happening?

One answer is (using a particular model) that there are indeed certain events that are pre-destined - to which those to be involved have all agreed to participate in before we are born - unavoidable 'karmic conditions/meetings/moments'. Hence the sense of destiny in certain instances.

Looking at it in the above way, all of us already 'knew' that we would one day meet and have connection to that person in that way. What is really more intriguing about it is that the young woman in question, at the time we were doing the reading, was attending a small junior college in the town we lived in - and she was actually a friend of one of our cousins who was attending the same college. It is unclear whether anyone saw anyone 'in passing' without knowing but in such a small town with many layers of connection it's possible. For me and my sister we were clueless.

And by your description of events, the same precognitive information was repeated consistently on many occasions, years apart, when different members of the family were using the board.

Ooops, you misread there - the 'readers' were always my sister and me - and the sessions took place over the course of one Christmas Day afternoon though separated by an hour or two.

ps: I too have heard that experimenting with oiuja boards is not advisable for non-mediums.

It goes further - I have been told that one needs to do whatever possible to avoid a 'medium' condition. It is considered - in some occult circles (and this does not mean it is 'right' only that it is one view) - a throwback condition, a profound negative. Given that we are striving for command in full-waking consciousness, sublimating the 'I' to allow another entity to 'take over' our 'vehicle' in place of our own ego-hood is considered not only a digression, but a dangerous anti-evolutionary action. One opinion.

The device seems capable of attracting a wide range of discarnate beings, some not in a healthy state of mind. That has also happened of course in sittings with skilled mediums, but in those cases it has been handled with less upset and disruption.

Last edited:
So we can describe it - but what is the mechanism? Why is it happening? What is happening?

Yes, those are the key questions. As I asked the other day, "did anyone think it was going to be easy to find out what it is in nature that facilitates anomalous communication of information from a distance?" For if anomalous communication at a distance occurs (and it does), and if precognitive abilities of humans have been demonstrated (and they have), then they must be facilitated either by something within nature or by something operating outside nature. A process within nature works for me. Unified and interactive, interconnected, quantum entanglement of information throughout the universe (a theory that ufology doubts but which many, perhaps most, quantum physicists and theorists subscribe to) is the likeliest candidate yet to account for those anomalies. I don't find it difficult to believe that q. entanglement involves brains/minds/ consciousnesses as much as it involves the exchange and further entanglement of information between and among physical forces and fields. But I'm interested in any other suggestions.

Ooops, you misread there - the 'readers' were always my sister and me - and the sessions took place over the course of one Christmas Day afternoon though separated by an hour or two.

Yes, I certainly did misread that. I must have blurred your account with Burnt State's description of persistent ouija board experiments with a movable group over a long period of time.

It goes further - I have been told that one needs to do whatever possible to avoid a 'medium' condition. It is considered - in some occult circles (and this does not mean it is 'right' only that it is one view) - a throwback condition, a profound negative. Given that we are striving for command in full-waking consciousness, sublimating the 'I' to allow another entity to 'take over' our 'vehicle' in place of our own ego-hood is considered not only a digression, but a dangerous anti-evolutionary action. One opinion.

I didn't know that and I find it interesting. Did Blavatsky and/or Annie Besant take that view? Whoever led that development, what were their motivations? Was it in reaction against specific practices by another group?

Last edited:
Continuing from your post, Tyger:

"Given that we are striving for command in full-waking consciousness, sublimating the 'I' to allow another entity to 'take over' our 'vehicle' in place of our own ego-hood is considered not only a digression, but a dangerous anti-evolutionary action. One opinion."

I'm wondering if this might perhaps have been a reaction to 'Black Magic' practices around Ambrose Bierce. I knew someone years ago who claimed to have researched and indulged in those practices and, in his own words, "raised an entity." He said the experience so terrified him that he quit the magic practices and returned to regular attendance at the local Anglican church, humbly tending to the alter cloths and sacristy for years thereafter.

Or perhaps it was a reaction to what Freud had made of the subconscious? Very curious to find out what it was about.

Aw, Muadib. :(

I agree with you about not being up for the 'long drawn out argument'. That's the way I feel whenever I see a scrambled bit of text with every 'spice on the shelf peppered in' to make a rebuttal post. Teasing through all the 'entanglement' of ideas and words (what someone thinks I said versus what I actually said or meant, or worse, being told I think in a certain way - being of that 'ilk' - when nothing of the kind was even remotely broached) is just not anything I have time for. In fact, were I to so engage, it really would look like I was trying to convince - when I'm not.

A lot in there - an example of just too much to tease it all out. Evidence also that I am not into convincing you of anything. If this is how you think - okay. I think you've got some stuff scrambled there but that's not the issue. I swear there are people on this site that would take issue with Leonardo de Vinci - and their reasoning would be sound. Ha!

Very kind obituary. Many thanks. :confused:

That's because you assume I am trying to convince you of something - when alls I am doing is presenting information from another way of seeing existence.

To quote myself in a previous post - I think part of the problem regarding me for skeptics is that I operate from a world-view supported by experiences a skeptic doesn't share. I have evidence for why I see the world as I do. I suspect you do, too. For me to be a skeptic would be to disassociate myself from myself. It would be like someone with physical eye-sight convincing themselves that they don't see a physical world. Here is the crux - we all assume that we are all having the same subjective experiences (more or less) of an objective world (that does not vary). It's not the case. Skeptics are always flashing alternative explanations for 'spiritual' [pick your word] experiences, as though their ad hoc spinning trumps anything else. (Curious imo).

It does - and I've both alluded to them and in a handful of instances supplied some concrete examples of them (problematic metaphor for this). However, without actual experience the counter argument is that what is said is a belief. To someone without the experiences - and the consequent concept - it does look like a belief, yes - and would be a belief for them given the experience does not yet exist for them.

Do you understand that the idea of 'natural laws' is the 'ghost in the machine' of science - which takes it's lineage from its theological birth? 'Laws' imply a 'law-giver' - God. The idea of there being 'natural laws' is a residue from that time - I always find that little factoid fascinating.

Talking about 'spiritual laws' can be problematic. There are certain principles that apply - like that of cause-and effect - in the realm of spirit (in the Sanskrit) called karma. I alluded to this prior - and that as we travel the path we begin to 'clear our karma' (not a pleasant task, btw :confused: no). Someone who has successfully achieved high levels of consciousness (the best I can do when speaking in this way) has an acute sensibility of this cause-and-effect. They will understand the ripples they send into existence by their merest thought, never mind actual action in the physical world. This level of 'seeing' means a wholly different set of considerations when it comes to motivation and intention. At this level we are perilously close to creation - in an aware way.

Homeopaths! Hmmm....as you can see, for some of us, the assault on our reality goes to the very medical paradigm we can consult. (Sigh')

From a very gifted [intuitive] astrologer pal of mine. Dave writes, clearly from an astrologer's perspective (and with his own 'politics') - but with great insight nonetheless, revealing the quandary for many of us - bolding emphasis my own -

"I chanced upon the website of [...], an unorthodox doctor. He has an endless number of articles that say conventional medicine has it exactly backwards. Reading the articles on the heart, I was reminded of the sheer medical guesswork of the past half century. Heart disease was because of lipids, or cholesterol, or saturated fats or maybe the wrong kinds of sugars and could be treated with this drug or that. Salt, which cardiac doctors prohibit, was actually necessary (which I have found to be true). With diabetes – which my wife has – the problem wasn’t sugar consumption at all. Which she had noted some time ago. Don’t get me started on the four food groups and the food pyramid.

"Which implies that a lot of medicine is simple guesswork, a succession of fads. Surely with billions of people on the planet and the heart being our principal organ, we could do better than guess? Which underscored my deduction that Enlightenment Science of 1650, as codified by Diderot’s
Encyclopedie of 1750, was based on consensus. Whatever a bunch of people thought was right.

"But you will say, isn’t science based on hard-won truth? Experiment? Replication? Surprisingly, no, and medicine is the proof. We would not be constantly throwing out last year’s remedies in favor of this year’s remedies if there was anything objective about them. What we have instead is someone gets an idea and sells it to his friends. They try it for a while to see if it works. If it does, we keep it. But far too often, we throw it away and go on to the next guess.

"Remember when electro-shock was the treatment for mental illness? How about lobotomies? Now it’s drugs. If the mother is in distress during labor, she should have a cesarian. And eventually, of course, a hysterectomy. How many of you had your tonsils out? Did you know they sometimes re-grow?

"It is hard to trace the history of science because so much of it is simply thrown away. Public libraries commonly discard science books after 20 years or so, when they haven’t been borrowed in 15 years or more, and when the press of new science books puts a premium on limited shelf space. Few science books get more than a single printing. The best record of scientific progress are found in old issues of science magazines. Where they look more dated than pop music.

"Which is a useful analogy. Rock musicians, who are never each other’s students, inspire each other. The late 1960’s were an excellent example. Popular music is faddish, just like science, but unlike science, the greatest hits of the ’50’s, ’60’s, and ’70’s, still have fans. The science of those decades have none. The science of 1970 said the planet is getting colder and we should spray arctic ice with ground charcoal to help it melt. The hard science supporting this was knee-deep. There was no question about it.

[...]

"Consensus science [...] having no reality upon which to base their opinions, are being reduced to burning heretics at the stake. Red lines have been drawn. We must believe in evolution, we must not believe in evil creationism, though I cannot see what difference it makes either way. Belief in one or the other won’t put hair on my chest or get us jobs, make us high or heal a sick child. At the moment global warming is too touchy a subject, but it is clear the earth is releasing its inner heat for reasons of its own. Global warming is not the fault of man, though pollution is. Weak sunshine that is largely parallel to the ground will not melt arctic sea ice that is nine-tenths submerged, nor will it melt permafrost two feet below the surface.

"The embarrassment of science is shortly to end [...] inexorably [with the] revival of Aristotle. Aristotle is a game-changer.

"The whole reason for Aristotle, the whole reason for the I-Ching, the whole reason for the Hindu Doshas, was to replace opinion with structure. Science must be superior to mere ego.

"It is structure that western science lacks. It is lack of structure that has rendered science a long series of fads, many of them dead ends, more than a few of them dangerous.

"It was Aristotelian physics that guided the Greeks and Romans. It was lost when Rome fell, but kept alive in the Islamic world, where it was rediscovered in the plunder of the Crusades and then laboriously translated (12th Century Translators), which then touched off the Italian Renaissance.

"Where it was picked up by the Germans. Who were suffering from an excess of Church repression, which led to Luther’s revolt, which led to the 30 Years War of 1618- 48, which destroyed Germany and German culture and science.

"Whereupon, not two years later, the French declared a new “enlightened” system. The French had not studied Aristotle, they were not interested. The French knew what they liked, and they knew they were right. Monarchists at heart (they still are, bless their Catholic souls), they declared their opinions to be “science.”

"The link between the 30 Years War and the Enlightenment, the critical link, is that the Germans declared a right to the religion of their choice, whereupon the French declared a right to the science of theirs. The Germans discarded the Trinity. The French discarded Aristotle.

"And both will swear, to their dying day, that God told them so, and that logic and proof are on their side. If either were true, there would not be a thousand post-Luther Christian religions, nor a science so complex and messy and contradictory that no living person can understand it.

"Unable to publish coherent books, engaged in mindless witch hunts, science is dead. [...] ARISTOTLE, THE REAL SCIENCE"

Maybe. We'll see if the thread is allowed to proceed without hectoring from the sidelines.

PLEASE NOTE: I feel I need to say for clarity: I subscribe to the scientific method, honor science and it's accomplishments and enjoy a good crackin' analytical deconstruct. However, I don't see the scientific mind-set as the one-and-only way of looking at existence. The idea of narrowing my world experience to 'one way' feels claustrophobic. As always, any idea needs to be held lightly, turned often and let go when no longer helpful to one - allowing that it may be valuable for others still.

The universe, I am convinced, is far more complex than even the best thinker I have come across has been able to articulate. I prefer my personal experience of the mysteries of being - and the warmth of a good love. In the end, that is all that matters in any given moment. :)

A lot of this reminds me of Kuhn's The Structure of Scientific Revolutions - I was listening to a podcast on it the other day, a small sample:

Precognition of Ep. 86: Thomas Kuhn | The Partially Examined Life Philosophy Podcast | A Philosophy Podcast and Blog

Probably Kuhn's most controversial claim is that the very world changes as a result of a paradigm shift. As an example Kuhn points to the shift in chemistry following Dalton's equal ratio claims that turned into atomism, arguing:

"when it was done, even the percentage composituion of well known compounds was changed - the data themselves had changed."

Thomas Kuhn's: The Structure of Scientific Revolutions

Precognition of Ep. 86: Thomas Kuhn | The Partially Examined Life Philosophy Podcast | A Philosophy Podcast and Blog

Probably Kuhn's most controversial claim is that the very world changes as a result of a paradigm shift . . .

as an example

Kuhn points to the shift in chemistry following Dalton's equal ratio claims that turned into atomism, arguing "when it was done, even the percentage composituion of well known compounds was changed - the data themselves had changed."

My career has been largely that of a troubleshooter of large computer systems. As such systematic, practiced approaches based in an intimate knowledge of the systems involved always seemed to result in the "quickest fix." However, the brain works in mysterious ways and makes connections beneath the surface that sometimes jump past decision trees and procedures. I've probably been as wrong as many times as right when I went on a "gut feeling" and circumvented the normal process though. The "It was this last time", or "I know this part fails routinely." sort of things doesn't count I think, but there are examples of the brain making connections and predictions on a subconscious level that seem paranormal at times. I think these things are the result of a very sophisticated and layered process occurring unconsciously in the brain rather than paranormal cognition of a fault in a computer system or what have you.

The "process" is a bit different as writer looking at technical information trying to distill it into understandable prose rather than indecipherable jargon. As a "creative writer" the process becomes a mix of practiced technique and abstruse mysticism that attempts let the subconscious communicate with the conscious mind to send it through the fingers into the keys. ...or something like that. It's mostly about letting something happen.

I believe to use the "intuition" is to arm your subconscious mind with data and then allowing it to speak. Hearing it is the trick. Wait, what was that?

Merry Christmas

I have some experiences like this in both these areas - computer systems and writing - and I've seen the same thing sort of thing going on in other areas/watching other people work in other areas - like I say, the intuitive aspect may be most highly developed and even relied on in "pragmatic" professions that deal mostly with human beings: law enforcement, sports, combat, business - and that may be because the "systems" involved are enormously complex and the margins required to succeed (catch the criminal, win the boxing match, edge out the business competitor) may be extremely small . . . but I think you're dead on here with what you say . . . so a lot of what I'm trying to put together now may be about language or concepts, or "paradigms" (now that I've come back across Kuhn) - paranormal derives from, is defined by what is "normal" - super-natural in terms of "natural" - that's why anomalous is a better word for me now

anomalous - Late Latin anomalus, from Greek anomalos "uneven, irregular"

. . . Dawkins made a remark one time about telepathy, he was bothered by some data or an experiment that seemed to indicate telepathy and then he seemed to realize that if a mechanism were found to explain telepathy, it could fall within the natural sciences and he was very excited by this - it seems maybe everyone should have been very excited by this.

Some conceptions of God fall within the "natural" for those who have that belief . . . so I'm trying to wrap my head around something intuitive, something that's been itching at me for a while about this, about the whole dialog - the idea of paradigm shift from Kuhn comes into play:

Probably Kuhn's most controversial claim is that the very world changes as a result of a paradigm shift, as an example Kuhn points to the shift in chemistry following Dalton's equal ratio claims that turned into atomism, arguing "when it was done, even the percentage composituion of well known compounds was changed - the data themselves had changed."

Anyway, this is probably a jumble, as I said, I think I am trying to do what you describe above:

. . . attempts let the subconscious communicate with the conscious mind to send it through the fingers into the keys. ...or something like that. It's mostly about letting something happen.

I believe to use the "intuition" is to arm your subconscious mind with data and then allowing it to speak. Hearing it is the trick. Wait, what was that?

I notice whenever i visit my hometown my kids take the 30 year old ouija board I handmade and painted when I was in high school and use it all the time over the holidays. Nothing functional comes out of this.

When I was in high school I used a ouija board regularly and daily in the summer. I kept a journal with detailed notes of my contacts. Often I felt that the 'voice' of the board seemed to know things it shouldn't about me, and other people. 'It' created a false personality and historical figure as its persona, which shifted over time ending in a tumultuous, almost haunting session that caused a break within our Ouija group.

I could not corroborate any information supplied by the board about its identity. The board was useless at supplying practical info i.e. missing keys or lottery winning numbers. It once distracted us while ouijaing in a graveyard and we were oblivious to raging fire with firefighters in the woods around us - that was as trippy as the time the board tried to convince my dad the voice was real by correctly identifying the name of his coworker that had just recently comnitted suicide. I was unaware of the suicide but supplied this informtion without my father touching the planchette. Once the Ouija made this girl become inconsolably hysterical. Once, on the way to a ouija session i found a small gold charm from a bracelet on the ground with the name of our 7 year old girl contact engraved on it- Heather. That the freaked out the group.

While i ouijaed for 1.5 years, I eventually stopped and decided that barring a few odd instances, all information supplied by the Ouija is done so through a combination of setting, people present, and all spellings of the planchette are done unconsciously by those who operate and touch the planchette.

Nothing of real or concrete value ever came from those many, many hours spent immersed in regular use of the Ouija - some downright bizarre stuff, but nothing very useful. Has RV ever done anything useful?

Fascinating - I've only heard a few Ouija stories on podcasts (Mysterious Universe and I think The Paracast did some and maybe Binnal of America) but they seemed to indicate similar experiences that you had:

'It' created a false personality and historical figure as its persona, which shifted over time ending in a tumultuous, almost haunting session that caused a break within our Ouija group.

It once distracted us while ouijaing in a graveyard and we were oblivious to raging fire with firefighters in the woods around us - that was as trippy as the time the board tried to convince my dad the voice was real by correctly identifying the name of his coworker that had just recently comnitted suicide.
Once the Ouija made this girl become inconsolably hysterical.

---

What made you continue for an extended period of time (1.5 years) to Ouija? What was the draw or effect or fascination or motivation?

and decided that barring a few odd instances, all information supplied by the Ouija is done so through a combination of setting, people present,

What do you think might have accounted for the information supplied in those odd instances? And can you specify the instances?

Thanks again for sharing - this is fascinating, I've never used a Ouija except to play around with an online version. I wonder if anything like the experiences you had would occur with a computer based Ouija . . .

Another perspicacious post as usual Muadib. Personally I do believe that there are instances of psychic ability that are real. The problem is that they're transient and leave no material trace evidence, therefore the phenomenon is difficult to study. I've seen what the mystics call a persons aura only once. I had about a minute or so to study it before my friend ( who was another guy ) became too weirded out by it, got up and turned on a bright light and the whole thing receded or collapsed and I've never seen one again. He thought I was either messing with him or going loony, until some years later it happened to him while he was out hiking with a girlfriend of his and saw hers. Some people say they can see them all the time. Maybe that's true.

I've also had other experiences associated with the "spiritual". Plus I think many people who have a strong close relationship with someone ( like children and spouses ) have a sort of "radar love". But I don't jump to conclusions about the exact nature of these phenomena and manufacture all kinds of unsubstantiated beliefs. Some of these instances may be due to entirely natural processes, but perhaps others are induced intentionally by an unseen force. I don't know. The only thing I know is that the study of all these things tends to be based on beliefs, unfounded assumptions, emotional reactions, and other factors rather than on critical thinking. People who are into this stuff seem less interested in knowing what is actually happening than pushing their pet beliefs and worldviews.

Personally I do believe that there are instances of psychic ability that are real. The problem is that they're transient and leave no material trace evidence, therefore the phenomenon is difficult to study. I've seen what the mystics call a persons aura only once. I had about a minute or so to study it before my friend ( who was another guy ) became too weirded out by it, got up and turned on a bright light and the whole thing receded or collapsed and I've never seen one again. He thought I was either messing with him or going loony, until some years later it happened to him while he was out hiking with a girlfriend of his and saw hers. Some people say they can see them all the time. Maybe that's true.

That's fascinating - can you say what it was like to see this aura? Maybe compared to closed eye visuals or hypnagogic imagery or in terms of anything else you might have experienced?

Re: intuition, precognition, paradigm shifts and the mechanism of the ouija board

Better brains than my mind have pointed out across history that there is a pattern to things. Sometimes the patterns are quite overt and we get competing paradigms that define the miraculous divinity of creation or golden ratios and Fibonacci sequences. Science and religions equally lay claim to paradigms that define our reality. It's very tempting to select grey areas of reality, perceive their own rare ordering of things and call it 'paranormal'. But to qualify it further it was Russell who said, "The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper." We simply have not yet comprehended all the mechanisms.

I am constantly reminded at how women are more 'telepathic' than men. I don't mean telepathy in the normal way you think, but in the way that feelings are perceived and translated into practical, accurate, working knowledge just by looking at someone. Most married hetero men, who pay close attention, recognize this truth and know that the best thing a man can do in their partnerships is to learn to listen better. Because, unfortunately, intuition is something we come a little slower to.

As a teacher of twenty years I have learned a lot from women, especially Child Youth Workers, and have done exactly as trainedobserver & smcder outlined: armed with data, I listen carefully, study body language, and intuit a lot about what's happening in the lives of youth. It happens just as fast, almost like a kind of magic, in the way I have learned to interpret my own partner's attitudes and emotions. In my marriage it keeps me on my toes and mostly harmonious. At work I have learned how to serve youth in valuable ways.

This is not a magical mechanism, and neither is the ouija board - it is simply another system of analysis and expressn, a means to interpret reality. I would use tarot cards to work similar 'magic.' In the movie featuring the Unabomber in the Timothy Good thread there is a great line about paradigms and tech. "We invent new tools and then mold ourselves to the tool." That's exactly how we change reality, and come to understand its most obscure working parts, by imagining, and then using, new paradigms.

Last edited:
anomalous - Late Latin anomalus, from Greek anomalos "uneven, irregular"

Does anomalous cognition exist and what does it tell us about consciousness? I think virtually everyone has experienced anomalous cognition of some sort. Like everything, I tend to look at it and wonder if it is what it appears to be.

Re: intuition, precognition, paradigm shifts and the mechanism of the ouija board

Better brains than my mind have pointed out across history that there is a pattern to things. Sometimes the patterns are quite overt and we get competing paradigms that define the miraculous divinity of creation or golden ratios and Fibonacci sequences. Science and religions equally lay claim to paradigms that define our reality. It's very tempting to select grey areas of reality, perceive their own rare ordering of things and call it 'paranormal'. But to qualify it further it was Russell who said, "The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper." We simply have not yet comprehended all the mechanisms.

I am constantly reminded at how women are more 'telepathic' than men. I don't mean telepathy in the normal way you think, but in the way that feelings are perceived and translated into practical, accurate, working knowledge just by looking at someone. Most married hetero men, who pay close attention, recognize this truth and know that the best thing a man can do in their partnerships is to learn to listen better. Because, unfortunately, intuition is something we come a little slower to.

As a teacher of twenty years I have learned a lot from women, especially Child Youth Workers, and have done exactly as trainedobserver & smcder outlined: armed with data, I listen carefully, study body language, and intuit a lot about what's happening in the lives of youth. It happens just as fast, almost like a kind of magic, in the way I have learned to interpret my own partner's attitudes and emotions. In my marriage it keeps me on my toes and mostly harmonious. At work I have learned how to serve youth in valuable ways.

This is not a magical mechanism, and neither is the ouija board - it is simply another system of analysis and expressn, a means to interpret reality. I would use tarot cards to work similar 'magic.' In the movie featuring the Unabomber up above in the thread there is a great line about paradigms and tech. "We invent new tools and then mold ourselves to the tool." That's exactly how we change reality, and come to understand its most obscure working parts, by imagining, and then using, new paradigms.

. . . if there are gender differences present here - then would you (or me, as men) be fully qualified to define this experience "telepathy"? If it's qualitatively and phenomenologically (however you spell it!) different for men than women, then can we men say everything there is to say about it? What if Thomas Nagel had written: What It's Like to Be a Woman?? And what do we do with the "reports" - the stated experience of women . . . can we understand them fully? This has not even come up at all in this thread! Surely gender has some relationship to the differences in style and approaches to the topics on this thread? If we didn't have any gender information on the participants, how well could we do at guessing gender just from the style/ideas of the posts themselves? (obviously excluding references to gender?) I'm sure that experiment has been done somewhere . . . ! And the women on here right now are probably going duh! :)

Anyway, it's interesting because I tend to be very "telepathic" in this sense you describe above - before I learned to set good boundaries, it was not unusual to have a perfect stranger telling me their darkest secrets within a few minutes - I did learn to be a skilled listener and e-liciter in my upbringing, my parents grew up in alcoholic families and developed almost preternatural survival skills and so some of that comes from family dynamics in my upbringing, but my mother and grandmother both were very intuitive/very sensitive and so some of it may be inherited.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think we can say everything about anything. In fact men need to listen more, but what we can do is learn and adapt. What I notice on the forum is that the generosity piece is most often provided by the women here, and most aggression is provided by the guys. Same old same old, I suppose. What's always interesting in gender studies is how the nuances are vastly different, and you're right, I shouldn't be absolutist about any definitions. If anything, I wish the forum was a more inviting space for diverse voices, especially those of women, who are often maligned or compromised by immature male stuff.

. . . It's very tempting to select grey areas of reality, perceive their own rare ordering of things and call it 'paranormal'. But to qualify it further it was Russell who said, "The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper." We simply have not yet comprehended all the mechanisms.
. . .

I think that's a point - as far as it goes . . . Russell takes it to one level by claiming that there are mysteries that can be solved by us, but then you take it a step further by involving "all the mechanisms" . . . and it might be so, but I have sympathy for Colin McGinn's New Mysterianism - for him this is that some philosophical problems will never be solved by humans, because of our human limitations - I think he would say that we simply don't have the right brains for certain problems - he imagines other kinds of brains might exist that could, for example, look right through the "hard problem" of consciousness or for whom there might not be a "hard problem" at all. (you can see how this ties into the gender questions above . . .

But I think the whole idea of limits is culturally not in vogue and I think the idea of unlimited progress ties in deeply to our practice of science and technology (not to mention economics!) from the very beginnings of the The Enlightenment.

I don't think we can say everything about anything. In fact men need to listen more, but what we can do is learn and adapt. What I notice on the forum is that the generosity piece is most often provided by the women here, and most aggression is provided by the guys. Same old same old, I suppose. What's always interesting in gender studies is how the nuances are vastly different, and you're right, I shouldn't be absolutist about any definitions. If anything, I wish the forum was a more inviting space for diverse voices, especially those of women, who are often maligned or compromised by immature male stuff.

Dead-on!

It would be fun to role-play, the men try to take a more feminine approach to expressing their ideas on the thread and vice-verse, I do think women would be better at this game . . . and we'd have to be prepared to be skewered a bit, what with our easily bruised egos!

Probably Kuhn's most controversial claim is that the very world changes as a result of a paradigm shift. As an example Kuhn points to the shift in chemistry following Dalton's equal ratio claims that turned into atomism, arguing:

"when it was done, even the percentage composituion of well known compounds was changed - the data themselves had changed."

This idea - in one form or another - with other nomenclature - pops up often and is a common thread through various thought systems. From Dale Carnegie to motivational speakers like Wayne Dyer to the behemoth thinkers of the New Thought Movement - William James, Naploeon Hill, Neville Goddard, etc. Mary Baker Eddy's Christian Science is part of this current - the idea that we are each of us divinity - God, as it were - and that our thinking 'makes it so'.

As long as one is thinking fairly far out on the tree-linb of existence, the mind vis-a-vis the physical world seems a very distinct 'actor' on the stage, separate and unto itself. We can think thoughts in a moment and see no discernible change in the steady-as-she-goes physical reality around us - until we look closer.

It's in the mind/body relationship that the quickness of response 'between thought and thing' becomes obvious to the alert observer.

Take manifesting - this one gets pooh-poohed a lot. Bottom line, all of this requires substantial inner work - and no one wants to do that. Yet, certain illnesses are hard lessons in learning that we must change ourselves if we would get well. We all understand that we must exercise and eat healthy if we want to be trim and strong - but posit the idea that one must 'purify' and train mind and emotions in order to be able to manifest reality in a conscious way - no going there. Understandably to be honest. It's hard work, and subtle.

It would be fun to role-play, the men try to take a more feminine approach to expressing their ideas on the thread and vice-verse, I do think women would be better at this game . . . and we'd have to be prepared to be skewered a bit, what with our easily bruised egos!

Blech! :(

This idea - in one form or another - with other nomenclature - pops up often and is a common thread through various thought systems. From Dale Carnegie to motivational speakers like Wayne Dyer to the behemoth thinkers of the New Thought Movement - William James, Naploeon Hill, Neville Goddard, etc. Mary Baker Eddy's Christian Science is part of this current - the idea that we are each of us divinity - God, as it were - and that our thinking 'makes it so'.

As long as one is thinking fairly far out on the tree-linb of existence, the mind vis-a-vis the physical world seems a very distinct 'actor' on the stage, separate and unto itself. We can think thoughts in a moment and see no discernible change in the steady-as-she-goes physical reality around us - until we look closer.

It's in the mind/body relationship that the quickness of response 'between thought and thing' becomes obvious to the alert observer.

Take manifesting - this one gets pooh-poohed a lot. Bottom line, all of this requires substantial inner work - and no one wants to do that. Yet, certain illnesses are hard lessons in learning that we must change ourselves if we would get well. We all understand that we must exercise and eat healthy if we want to be trim and strong - but posit the idea that one must 'purify' and train mind and emotions in order to be able to manifest reality in a conscious way - no going there. Understandably to be honest. It's hard work, and subtle.

Yet, certain illnesses are hard lessons in learning that we must change ourselves if we would get well.

I believe I may be undergoing this even as we speak, since about April.

Sigil Magick, with which I have had only a small amount of (mostly) cautious experience . . . is startlingly effective and terrifyingly unpredictable . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back