• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Consciousness and the Paranormal

Free episodes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brilliant run-down, Steve! Where to begin? I have a post I have been working on but RL (given the season) pops through the door anon - happily - but leaving little time for concentrated composing for here. Anyway, my posts will always be sort of like a parallel conversation I am having with the air. They will have relevance to what is going forward here but 'at an angle', in a sense. I don't want to pull you off the excellent trajectory you have chosen - I am 'all eyes and ears' for what you are sharing.

Your post above positing the open question about 'paranormal methods' is a corker. Very relevant. Hope some share.

P.S. BTW, Steve. who is that dude in your avatar? Is that a crown of thorns? Anyone going through that Initiation has pretty significant headaches..........:mad:

Brilliant run-down, Steve! Where to begin? I have a post I have been working on but RL (given the season) pops through the door anon - happily - but leaving little time for concentrated composing for here. Anyway, my posts will always be sort of like a parallel conversation I am having with the air. They will have relevance to what is going forward here but 'at an angle', in a sense. I don't want to pull you off the excellent trajectory you have chosen - I am 'all eyes and ears' for what you are sharing.

Your post above positing the open question about 'paranormal methods' is a corker. Very relevant. Hope some share.

P.S. BTW, Steve. who is that dude in your avatar? Is that a crown of thorns? Anyone going through that Initiation has pretty significant headaches..........:mad:

lol - that's The Stalker from Tarkovsky's film of the same name:

Stalker (1979 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Andrei Tarkovsky's best known film is probably Solaris and he is considered to be one of the greatest film directors of all time - for example by Ingmar Bergman who was no slouch himself . . . his films are beautiful, with extremely long takes, often in black and white or sepia, color being used for punctuation - Tarkovsky was a perfectionist and insisted on complete artistic control and got it (under Soviet Russia) but at a great price. He, his wife and his favorite actor all died from a rare form of cancer - it's speculated to have been caused by exposure to toxic chemicals on the set of Stalker or to have been ordered by the KGB.

The next paper I'll try to read is:

http://www.deanradin.com/evidence/AlcockJCS2003.pdf

James E. Alcock
Give the Null Hypothesis a Chance
Reasons to Remain Doubtful about the Existence of Psi

This will finish up my notes on the first study, sections 4.6, 6 and 7 below were the most interesting to me:

An Assessment of the Evidence for Psychic Functioningby Jessica Utts
http://www.deanradin.com/evidence/Utts1996.pdf

Lots of interesting ideas and questions to take into reading other studies - there are about a hundred peer-reviewed articled on Radin's evidence site:

http://www.deanradin.com/evidence/evidence.htm
. . .
7. Conclusions and Recommendations

It is clear to this author that anomalous cognition is possible and has been
demonstrated.
This conclusion is not based on belief, but rather on commonly accepted scientific criteria. The phenomenon has been replicated in a number of forms across laboratories and cultures. The various experiments in which it has been observed have been different enough that if some subtle methodological problems can explain the results, then there would have to be a different explanation for each type of experiment, yet the impact would have to be similar across experiments and laboratories. If fraud were responsible, similarly, it
would require an equivalent amount of fraud on the part of a large number of experimenters or an even larger number of subjects.

What is not so clear is that we have progressed very far in understanding the mechanism for anomalous cognition. Senders do not appear to be necessary at all; feedback of the correct answer may or may not be necessary. Distance in time and space do not seem to be an impediment. Beyond those conclusions, we know very little.

I believe that it would be wasteful of valuable resources to continue to look
for proof. No one who has examined all of the data across laboratories, taken as a collective whole, has been able to suggest methodological or statistical
problems to explain the ever-increasing and consistent results to date.
Re-
sources should be directed to the pertinent questions about how this ability
works. I am confident that the questions are no more elusive than any other
questions in science dealing with small to medium sized effects, and that if appropriate resources are targeted to appropriate questions, we can have answers within the next decade.

. . . and now on to the next study . . .

We are all in your debt, Steve, for providing us with links to the research we need to read and comprehend in order to intelligently discuss what has been demonstrated and learned about anomalous cognition. I'm so glad you're here and have the energy to pursue this research. Thank you!!! The question is whether the resident skeptics will read the research reports and analyses you've provided. I hope some of them will now do so, so that this thread might move beyond the typical exchange of mere opinions and unfounded judgments concerning psi.

I have two links I want to add which I think are also minimal required reading. The first one, below, investigates James Randi's attempts to discredit the SRI's remote viewing research (first link below). Those who take Randi at his word will learn what a mistake it is to do so.

Skeptical Investigations - Investigating Skeptics - Examining the Skeptics - A Skeptical Look At James Randi

The second link is to the second half of Ingo Swann's highly informative presentation at the U.N. in 1994, entitled “On-going Scientific Discovery of Sensory Receptors which account for many Subtle Perceptions.” The paper enumerates the research in multiple scientific disciplines beginning in the mid-20th century (and continuing) that demonstrate how far we already were in the 1990s beyond "the five-senses-only fallacy and that our bio-mind bodies have multitudes of exceptional senses by way of delicate systems of receptors and sensors at the cellular, nervous, chemical and bio-electromagnetic levels and their interfaces." Swann referred to psi abilities as "superpowers of the biomind" in his books and his many papers collected online. The second half of the UN presentation, linked below, demonstrates, by the way, that Swann's wide reading and acute rational intellect were as extraordinary as his psychic abilities.

Your Seventeen Senses.html

By now, physicists, biologists, and chemists have realized that entangled 'information' is more fundamental than energy and matter in the integration of the physical universe, out of which life and mind/consciousness have equally evolved.

These two lines, from the philosopher Merleau-Ponty and the poet Wallace Stevens, might well serve as epigraphs to Swann's paper:

M-P: "The fish is in the water and the water is in the fish."

WS: "The spirit comes from the body of the world. . . ."

Constance and Steve - you both do the intellectual heavy-lifting here. I am in awe of you both. Your intellects are considerable imho. Thank you for what you are sharing. My passion is in a different direction so I will always come at the whole topic from 'the other end'. Should be interesting. :)

A question for the thread: do any of you use or know anyone who does any "paranormal" methods in your daily life/on a regular basis? Do you use use, for example, RV to find lost car keys or do you regularly use telepathy with friends/family members (including pets!) or other "anamolous" methods of getting practical things done.

I'm wondering about regular use more than once in a life-time experiences . . .

Interesting question. According to Swann, all humans and some animals have access to 'anomalous' cognition {reception of information} at widely varying levels (for example, see Sheldrake's and others' research concerning 'dogs who know when their owners are coming home'). Probably all of us have had occasional psi experiences, often telepathic, sometimes precognitive, which consist solely of receiving information rather than seeking it, or seeking to transmit it. Developed psychic abilities occur farther along a spectrum of what Swann sees as native capabilities of embodied consciousness, and which he recognizes as significantly repressed in our time by both the noisiness and glut of trivial information that saturate our waking lives and by the still dominant cultural resistance to explorations of anomalous cognition over the last several hundred years.

Constance and Steve - you both do the intellectual heavy-lifting here. I am in awe of you both. Your intellects are considerable imho. Thank you for what you are sharing. My passion is in a different direction so I will always come at the whole topic from 'the other end'. Should be interesting. :)

Nay, Tyger. Steve and I merely consult different sources of information. Your wide reading and consequent insight into sources spanning our species' recorded history of psychic, occult, and spiritual experiences is equally invaluable and necessary if we are ever to comprehend the nature of consciousness and reality.

. . .

I have two links I want to add which I think are also minimal required reading. The first one, below, investigates James Randi's attempts to discredit the SRI's remote viewing research (first link below). Those who take Randi at his word will learn what a mistake it is to do so.

Skeptical Investigations - Investigating Skeptics - Examining the Skeptics - A Skeptical Look At James Randi

. . .

M-P: "The fish is in the water and the water is in the fish."

WS: "The spirit comes from the body of the world. . . ."

There was an episode of Radio Misterioso back in May with Tim Cridland that had a pretty good discussion of his article: “The Real James Randi” published in The Anamolist #14

Journal Issues

Podcast here:

Tim Cridland: True Disbelievers and Rogue Archaelogy | Radio Misterioso

That review is basically an editorial piece on a book written by James Randi about experiments done by someone else. In other words it doesn't represent any evidence whatsoever about the actual evidence. It's pure hearsay. In order to assess the validity of the experiment alluded to in the review, we would need to see the actual data from the experiment as authored by those who performed the experiment, not third hand opinions from a blogger who had nothing to do with the experiment.

Randi proceeds to launch a comprehensive critique of Targ and Puthoff's article "Information Transmission under Conditions of Sensory Shielding," which appeared in the October 18, 1974, issue of the respected journal Nature. The article details experiments involving, among other participants, the professed psychic Uri Geller.

That article is available here: http://www.deanradin.com/evidence/Targ1974Nature.pdf

And here is:
A Perceptual Channel for Information Transfer over Kilometer Distances: Historical Perspective and Recent Research published in the Proceedings of the IEEE:
http://www.deanradin.com/evidence/Puthoff1976IEEE.pdf

Here is a link to other articles by Targ: Russell Targ. Books and Workshops on Remote Viewing, Psi / Psychic Science, Spiritual Healing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nay, Tyger. Steve and I merely consult different sources of information. Your wide reading and consequent insight into sources spanning our species' recorded history of psychic, occult, and spiritual experiences is equally invaluable and necessary if we are ever to comprehend the nature of consciousness and reality.

The way I am seeing it, too. :) I'm going to respond via what is my passion, what interests me.

First and foremost I never doubted that there is far more than the physical. From the get-go my world was awash with experiences that I only slowly came to understand no one else saw - or if they saw, were judged 'odd', even 'sick'.

When I was somewhere close to three years of age my family lived in an old house. Opening the door to go down into the cellar one could look ahead and see the underside of the stairs going up to the second floor. There was a small shelf as you looked straight ahead, and I recall seeing a man sitting in a chair positioned on that shelf - a totally impossible scenario, of course, but see him I did. He sat facing away from me slightly, with his eyes closed. I kept seeing him and in my childlike way I began to ask those around me: 'Who is that?' I got no understandable answers - until one day I was able to sufficiently describe what I was seeing to someone in my milieu who clearly understood subtle things.

Finally here was someone who understood - they listened and didn't tell me that what I was seeing 'wasn't there'. Instead, they gave me clear instructions on what I was to do whenever I saw the man - and assured me that if I did as instructed, the man would 'go away'. He did. What I also got told, though, was not to tell anyone when I saw such things.

Fast forward two years - I am five years old, sitting on the living room rug, in front of the Christmas Tree. The chain if lights are laying on the carpet. All the lights are shining but one. I pick up the lights and I look at the lights, and unscrew the bulb that is not working. I look down into the little 'tube' (whatever that is called that the bulb screws into) - and to my amazement, there was a worm down at the bottom! No wonder the light wasn't working - I'd fix it. I took one of my fingers and poked it down into the tube in an effort to 'pet' the worm - because it was quite pretty to me, moving and 'glistening'. And yes - I got shocked and my father saw it and at once undid the situation. In the conversation that followed I explained that I was trying to touch the 'worm'. My father and I argued until something shifted for me - I sensed that my father was upset in an unusual way. He was insistent that there was no worm in there - and he described the piece of metal to me in detail - and then, as I looked, I suddenly saw the metal. It was like a double focus - the worm glistening and 'moving' - and then the inert, silver-colored metal clip. No more worm. No worm.

What's interesting about the above incident was decades later I was at an esoteric/occult lecture. The topic was the sub-levels of existence and statements were being made that the 'lower levels' - like of electricity - could not be observed 'subtly'. I at once flashed on my childhood experience with the electricity moving through the metal clip - and shared the event. The response I got from the lecturer was unexpected - he was adamant that humans do not have the capacity to 'see' at that sub-level and seemed affronted that I would 'claim' to have so 'seen'. (Sigh' - can't win. Muggles - ha! ;) )

Let's try another approach. What is meant by "spiritual"? There's that word again that seems to translate to nothing more than some vague combination of junk psychology blended with some personalized aspect of religious and/or supernatural and/or mystical and/or New Age ideas that fits the user's purpose at any given time. What method of "exploration" is being used apart from "profound"? Who is doing the exploring? What or whose consciousness is being explored? How does any of this come together to deservingly form the title of "science"? It seems to me that what's happening here is that the word "science" is being hijacked by purveyors of some non-scientific belief system for the sake of imparting an air of credibility.

What an interesting compendium of your disgruntled biases and fuzzy thinking. At this stage of the game, ufology, if you still have to ask these questions, if you still conflate all these ideas into one big lump after everything that has been written. then I don't know what to say to you. For someone who claims to know so much, you evidence very little understanding.

To press on........

It's unusual to come across but there are mentions of a state of consciousness beyond thought - or Mind. I have only found one stating it directly in occult terms. [Mystics would be another source but they will not be articulating it with the same terminology. This area - with so many different streams and different layers of consciousness being referenced - requires a nimble and flexible mind - able to 'translate' terms. Clearly not a skill fostered by many casual passers-by in this topic.]

A change in consciousness that entails moving beyond thought, as we know it - yet maintaining awareness and identity - signifies a considerable alteration. I'm not sure anyone still plugging away in sense-based thinking would have the first inkling of what that condition of being would be like, let alone look like - except perhaps imaginatively, and even then the imagination would reflect sense-based thinking. It's hard to get out of that 'box' - the sensory-based box - our 'matrix', in a sense.

That review is basically an editorial piece on a book written by James Randi about experiments done by someone else. In other words it doesn't represent any evidence whatsoever about the actual evidence. It's pure hearsay. In order to assess the validity of the experiment alluded to in the review, we would need to see the actual data from the experiment as authored by those who performed the experiment, not third hand opinions from a blogger who had nothing to do with the experiment.

If you can say that I suspect you haven't read the article. You are playing with words. What you say sounds reasonable except that what you are saying has nothing to do with what the article is about. In just one example Randi is shown to be spinning his tales on 'hearsay' - what you claim to abjure - hearsay that just doesn't stand up to scrutiny. The blogger effectively demolishes Randi's claims imo - which I think was the point.

If you can say that I suspect you haven't read the article. You are playing with words. What you say sounds reasonable except that what you are saying has nothing to do with what the article is about. In just one example Randi is shown to be spinning his tales on 'hearsay' - what you claim to abjure - hearsay that just doesn't stand up to scrutiny. The blogger effectively demolishes Randi's claims imo - which I think was the point.

Ufo must have been too busy writing Christmas e-mails to actually read the article (how often this kind of thing happens with ufology's 'rebuttals', tsk, tsk). Read it when the holidays are over, ufo. We'll expect a reasonable response afterwards.

Do you see? It makes no sense to define any word. All the verbiage and explanations and yet still you will continue to use a word the way you originally did so. Square one. A tape-loop. Spinning wheels. It's not really a conversation.

I guess I don't understand why you quoted Tesla.

A question for the thread: do any of you use or know anyone who does any "paranormal" methods in your daily life/on a regular basis? Do you use use, for example, RV to find lost car keys or do you regularly use telepathy with friends/family members (including pets!) or other "anamolous" methods of getting practical things done.

I'm wondering about regular use more than once in a life-time experiences . . .

The answer to that question may give light as to why no one seems to have used "Remote Viewing", "Dowsing", or other paranormal methods in a successful commercial enterprise other than selling books and classes on how to "do it."

An interesting skeptical look at some of the so called "evidence" for remote viewing provided by Utts, Radin, Puthoff (who's a lol $cientologist btw and once claimed that reaching OT Level VII gave him the ability to remote view:rolleyes:) and Targ from the Skeptic's Dictionary, which exposes the flaws in the methodology and controls of many of their studies:

Remote viewing (RV) is a fancy name for telepathy or clairvoyance, the alleged psychic ability to perceive places, persons, and actions that are not within the range of the senses.

The term seems to have been invented by physicist Dr. Russell Targ and physicist/scientologist Dr. Harold Puthoff to describe their work with alleged psychics for the U.S. government in a project known as Star Gate.

If the remote viewer gets messages of a site from a person who is at the site looking around, then it would be telepathy. If the remote viewer gets messages of a site by "perceiving" the site psychically, then it would be clairvoyance. (If the viewer gets impressions of the site from the future, then it would be precognition. If he gets impressions from someone who viewed the site in the past, then it is retrocognition. If he gets messages from the akashic record or the 11th dimension, or directly from some god, then another explanation is needed.)

Tests of remote viewing often involve having one person go to a remote site, while another tries to get impressions of the site. There is no way to distinguish telepathy from clairvoyance in such tests. Some tests have the one being tested try to get impressions from giving him coordinates on a map, for example. But even in those tests if someone is at those coordinates there is no way to know whether any impressions were coming from that person or from the site itself or from other unknown sources, such as the Akashic record. Perhaps the viewer is picking up messages in the ether, perhaps there is a memory in the air of every impression that every person who has ever visited a place has left in some other dimension that occasionally is broken into during a remote viewing test. Perhaps a god is planting ideas directly in people's minds (occasionalism). Perhaps the remote viewer is just expressing his stream of consciousness, which goes no deeper than his own experience and confabulations. Who knows?

Remote viewing is a kind of psychic dowsing. Instead of a twig or other device, one uses psychic power alone to dowse the entire galaxy, if need be, for whatever one wants: oil, mountains on Jupiter, a lost child, a buried body, a hostage site thousands of miles away, a secret meeting inside the Pentagon or the Kremlin, etc.

Ingo Swann and Harold Sherman claim to have done remote viewing of Mercury and Jupiter. Targ and Puthoff reported that their remote viewing compared favorably to the findings of the Mariner 10 and Pioneer 10 research spacecraft. Isaac Asimov did a similar comparison and found that 46% of the observation claims of the astral travelers were wrong. Also, only one out of 65 claims made by the remote viewers was a fact that either was not obvious or not obtainable from reference books (Randi 1982).

Targ and Puthoff, whom Randi refers to as the Laurel and Hardy of psi research, were not put off by the fact that Swann claimed he saw a 30,000 ft. mountain range on Jupiter on his astral voyage when there is no such thing. It is hard to imagine why anyone would have faith in such claims. If I told you that I had been to your home town and had seen a 30,000 ft. high mountain there, and you knew there was no such mountain, would you think I had really visited your town even if I correctly pointed out that there is a river nearby and it sometimes floods? Swann, in a lovely ad hoc hypothesis, now claims that astral travel is so fast that he probably wasn't seeing Jupiter but another planet in another solar system! There really is a big mountain out there on some planet in some solar system in some galaxy.

The CIA and the U.S. Army thought enough of remote viewing to spend millions of taxpayers' dollars on "Stargate." The program involved using psychics for such operations as trying to locate Gaddafi of Libya (so our Air Force could drop bombs on him) and the locating of a missing airplane in Africa. The mass media, ever watchful of wasteful government programs, did not exhibit much skepticism regarding remote viewing. Typical is the reporting in the Sacramento area. TV news anchors Alan Frio and Beth Ruyak led their nightly Channel 10 program on November 28, 1995, with a story on "exciting new evidence" that remote viewing really works. The same story had appeared that morning in the Sacramento Bee in an Associated Press article about "Stargate" by Richard Cole. "A particularly talented viewer accurately drew windmills when the sender was at a windmill farm at Altamont Pass," Cole wrote. The "talented viewer" was Joe McMoneagle, a former army psychic spy and part of the Stargate project. Cole based his claim on the testimony of Dr. Jessica Utts, a statistics professor at the University of California, Davis, who was hired by the government to do an assessment of "psychic functioning" party because she was a known believer in the paranormal. (The other reviewer hired by the government, Ray Hyman, was selected in part because he was a known skeptic. Both were selected because they were familiar with research in the field.*) Channel 10 interviewed Dr. Utts, who confirmed that there is good reason to believe that Joe McMoneagle does indeed have psychic powers. Utts, a believer in psi, coauthored several papers with physicist Edwin May, who took over the remote viewing program of Star Gate from Puthoff in 1985. So, she was not a disinterested party.

CIA spokesman Mark Mansfield said: "The CIA is reviewing available programs regarding parapsychological phenomena, mostly remote viewing, to determine their usefulness to the intelligence community" (Cole 1995). He also notes that the Star Gate program was found to be "unpromising" in the 1970s and was turned over to the Defense Department. At one time as many as sixteen psychics worked for the government and the Defense Intelligence Agency made them available to other government departments. One of the psychics, David Morehouse, was recruited when he took a bullet in the head in Jordan and started having visions and vivid nightmares. He's written a book about it (Psychic Warrior) and it is sure to be better received by true believers than Mansfield's disclaimer.

McMoneagle was just one of the alleged remote viewers studied by Targ and Puthoff at the Stanford Research Institute (later called SRI International and neither having any connection to Stanford University). Puthoff left SRI in 1985 and Targ left in 1982 (Marks 2000: 71). May joined SRI in 1975 and became the director of the program when Puthoff left. In 1990 the program moved to Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC), a major defense contractor and a Fortune 500 company with some 38,000 employees worldwide (Marks: 73). Star Gate was stopped because the government determined that even if there is some truth to the remote viewing claims, it is too unreliable to be of any military value. One important research finding was that “neither practice nor training consistently improved remote-viewing ability” (Radin 1997: 102).

Dean Radin in The Conscious Universe says that the remote viewing program “finally wound down in 1994.” He doesn’t mention that the CIA shut it down because they were convinced that after 24 years of experiments it was clear that remote viewing was of no practical value to the intelligence community (Marks: 75). The CIA report noted that in the case of remote viewing there was a large amount of irrelevant, erroneous information that was provided and there was little agreement observed among the reports of the remote viewers (Marks: 77). Radin doesn’t mention that May objected to the CIA report because it didn’t make note of the fact that he had four independent replications of remote viewing. May didn’t publicize the fact, however, that there were also at least six reported instances of failed replication.

McMoneagle was in the army for 16 years, apparently serving some or most of that time as a psychic spy. He claims he helped locate the U.S. hostages taken by Iran during Jimmy Carter's presidency. Now a civilian psychic consultant, McMoneagle has turned his talents to more public feats, the kind that local TV news shows like to feature along with local university professors like Dr. Utts providing sound bites. On the TV 10 news show she held up a drawing allegedly done by McMoneagle and declared that it was done by remote viewing. Another scientific researcher had gone to the Altamont pass, known for its miles of funny-looking windmills on acres of rolling hills. McMoneagle tried to use his psychic powers to "see" what the researcher at Altamont was seeing and then draw what he was seeing. The sum total of the evidence for the value of psychic spying presented by the Sacramento news team consisted of one drawing and Dr. Utts's word that it looks like the Altamont pass. I will testify that in fact the drawing did have a resemblance to the Altamont pass. It also had a strong resemblance to ships on a stormy sea, to debris in a cloudy sky, to pigeon art, and to dozens of other things.

The process of evaluation by parapsychologists of a "hit" for remote viewing is similar to that used in the Maimonides dream telepathy experiments. If an occasional description seems apt to the target, that's a hit. If it isn't, exploit the ambiguity of the description or revert to allowing symbolic connections and that's a hit too. In other words, a hit's a hit and so is a miss. In fact, there is no precise, clear-cut definition of what will count as a hit before the test begins. Because of the leeway in interpretation that is allowed judges of hits and misses, there is no way to falsify the remote viewing hypothesis using such tests. Without a reliable method that could falsify a claim, one can let the imagination run wild and allow confirmation bias to count as scientific testing.

Utts and Dr. Ray Hyman, a psychologist at the University of Oregon and a skeptic, issued separate reports on the Star Gate studies. Utts concluded that "psychic functioning has been well established." Hyman disagreed. In his AP article, Cole wrote that Utts and Ray Hyman stated that "the research was faulty in some respects. The government often used only one 'judge' to determine how close the psychics had come to the right answer. That should have been duplicated by other judges."

In The Conscious Universe Radin praises the Star Gate program, but he doesn’t evaluate the studies. Rather he pulls out some selective examples of successes, i.e., reports or drawings that were judged to be very accurate. (Defenders of SRI's work like to cite a drawing of the Soviet military base Semipalatinsk by a CIA artist and compare it to a drawing of a gantry crane by Pat Price as evidence remote viewing works. For an example, see the defense of Stargate by alternative journalist Richard Milton. See also Radin 1997: 26.) What Radin doesn’t reveal is that one of the major flaws in all the later RV studies—done under the direction of May—which were better designed and controlled than the ones done by Targ and Puthoff, were fatally flawed because May, the director of the program, was the sole judge of the accuracy of the reports and he conducted the experiments in secret (which made peer review and replication impossible). David Marks tried for years to get May to let him look at his data, but May wouldn’t allow it (Marks 2000).

There were hundreds, maybe thousands of trials, where a remote viewer would draw something and give a verbal report of what he was seeing. It would be highly unusual if there weren’t some that would seem very accurate for the targets. Since it was never required for success that the drawing or report be exact, it is always possible that an ambiguous image will be seen as fitting a particular target especially if the judge knows what the target is! Furthermore, we have only May's word for it that the very detailed descriptions that were spot on, were as he says they were. He hasn't made his data public.

Radin notes that that all possible paths for sensory leakage can be controlled for in remote viewing experiments, but he doesn’t mention the actual method used by May to judge the results. Radin notes that “a judge who was blind to the true target looked at the viewer’s response (a sketch and a paragraph or two of verbal description) along with photographs or videos of five possible targets. Four of these targets were decoys and one was the real target” (Radin 1997: 100). In fact, this protocol was used by David Marks but he was unable to replicate either the experiments of Targ and Puthoff or those of May. An analysis of the Targ and Puthoff experiments was done by Marks and he found that they systematically violated the rule about blind judging. Marks found substantial evidence that Targ and Puthoff cued their judges by including dates and references to previous experiments in the transcripts, “enabling the judges to successfully match the transcripts against the list of target sites” (Marks 2000: 57). There were a number of other flaws in the Targ and Puthoff experiments detailed by Marks (2000: see chapter 3) and Randi (1982: see chapter 7), none of which are mentioned by Radin in his glowing account of the remote viewing experiments.

“To the present day, no one has come up with a persuasive experimental design that can unambiguously distinguish between telepathy and clairvoyance....Based on the experimental evidence, it is by no means clear that pure telepathy exists per se, nor is it certain that real-time clairvoyance exists." The evidence "can all be accommodated by various forms of precognition."--Dean Radin

Radin makes it sound like constructive criticisms led researchers to refine their techniques to prevent any cheating or inadvertent cuing, but nothing could be further from the truth. He is correct that May’s positive results of his analysis of all the remote viewing studies done at SRI can’t be explained by chance. But he’s wrong to claim that “design problems couldn’t completely explain away the results” (Radin 1997: 101). The SRI studies were fatally flawed and could not be replicated (Marks 2000). The SAIC studies (1989-1993) were likewise flawed, though Radin describes them as “rigorously controlled sets of experiments that had been supervised by a distinguished oversight committee of experts from a variety of scientific disciplines” (Radin 1997: 101). He makes no mention, however, of the fact that May alone judged all the cases and has not let skeptics see the data, even though it is all unclassified.

Radin’s account of the CIA-commissioned report is disturbingly incomplete. It’s true that Jessica Utts and Ray Hyman were the evaluators of the SAIC studies. Utts is a known believer in the paranormal, so she was not a disinterested party. Hyman is a known skeptic, so he’s not disinterested either. The CIA wanted a review done quickly and had to pick people knowledgeable of the studies and they wanted a believer and a skeptic for balance. The reviewers were to focus on two issues: 1. Is there scientific justification for the reality of remote viewing? 2. Is remote viewing of practical use for intelligence gathering? Utts claimed there was good statistical evidence to support the reality of remote viewing; Hyman disagreed, mainly because only one judge was used throughout the experiments and he was the principal investigator:

The fact that these experiments were conducted in the same laboratory, with the same basic protocol, using the same viewers across experiments, the same targets across experiments, and the same investigators aggravates, rather than alleviates, the problem of independent replication. If subtle, as-yet-undetected bias and flaws exist is the protocol, the very consistency of elements such as targets, viewers, investigators, and procedures across experiments enhances the possibility that these flaws will be compounded.

Making matters even worse is the use of the same judge across all experiments. The judging of viewer responses is a critical factor in free-response remote viewing experiments. Ed May, the principle investigator, as I understand it, has been the sole judge in all the free response experiments. May's rationale for this unusual procedure was that he is familiar with the response styles of the individual viewers. If a viewer, for example, talks about bridges, May--from his familiarity with this viewer--might realize that this viewer uses bridges to refer to any object that is on water. He could then interpret the response accordingly to make the appropriate match to a target. Whatever merit this rationale has, it results in a methodological feature that violates some key principles of scientific credibility. One might argue that the judge, for example, should be blind not only about the correct target but also about who the viewer is. More important, the scientific community at large will be reluctant to accept evidence that depends upon the ability of one specific individual. In this regard, the reliance on the same judge for all free-response experiments is like the experimenter effect. To the extent that the results depend upon a particular investigator the question of scientific objectivity arises. Scientific proof depends upon the ability to generate evidence that, in principle, any serious and competent investigator--regardless of his or her personality--can observe. (Hyman 1995)

The report concluded that remote viewing is of little value and the CIA terminated the program.

Radin is disingenuous when he says the “government review committee” came to six general conclusions. His reference is to Jessica Utt’s article “An assessment of the evidence for psychic functioning” published in the Journal of Scientific Exploration. Utts did not represent the government. In any case, the first item she listed was that free-response remote viewing was more successful than forced-choice remote viewing. This hardly seems like a major discovery. 2. Some people performed better than others. 3. Only about 1% of those tested were very good at remote viewing (it’s a rare talent). 4. Training is worthless and remote viewing ability can’t be improved. 5. Feedback seems to enhance performance. 6. Shielding the target made no difference to the quality of remote viewing.

So, Utts, who is an active researcher in the field, reports that the evidence is in and it’s been replicated. We don’t need to look for proof any longer. Whereas Hyman, whom Radin calls “the devil’s advocate” for some reason, agreed that the effect sizes in the SAIC studies aren’t likely due to chance, file drawer effect, or inappropriate statistical testing or inferences. But he never agreed that the evidence is good and has been replicated, thereby establishing a scientific basis for the claims of remote viewing.

Radin mentions that Julie Milton did an analysis of 78 free-response psi experiments published between 1964 and 1993 and found that “the overall effect resulted in odds against chance of ten million to one” (Radin 1997: 106). He doesn’t mention that only two of the studies had proper safeguards for the crucial protocol of “avoiding giving cues to judges and keeping the experimenter blind to the identity of the target in telepathy and clairvoyance” (Marks 2000: 93). Nor does Radin mention that 26% of the studies failed to provide adequate safeguards regarding the person transcribing the subject’s descriptions being blind to the target’s identity and that this was associated with a significantly higher effect size than the studies that contained this safeguard (Marks 2000: 93-94). As David Marks notes: “statistical significance and real-world importance are not the same thing” (2000: 94).

A classic example of how remote viewing is tested was presented by the National Geographic Channel Naked Science program "Telepathy." Ed May tests Joe McMoneagle and unwittingly reveals that the core method of testing is essentially subjective validation. The method of testing has an air of scientific rigor to it, but when deconstructed one sees that the rigor is an illusion.

A researcher, Rachel Curran, photographs six locations in the San Francisco Bay area and gives the photos to "a lawyer" who puts them in two sets of six numbered envelopes and locks them in a file cabinet. The locations are: a yacht marina, a rock quarry, a giant redwood tree, the Stanford University football stadium, the Palo Alto airport, and the Dumbarton bridge. When the test is to begin, the lawyer opens the file cabinet and tells us nobody had access but him. He rolls a die to select one of the six envelopes. He hands a numbered envelope, unopened, to Rachel. He leaves her and she opens the envelope, sees the pictures she took of the Dumbarton Bridge, and drives to that location. She is to be a "beacon" for the remote viewer. McMoneagle and May meet in May's office. We are to believe that May has not looked at the pictures and doesn't know where the other researcher is when Joe McMoneagle is trying to use his powers of remote viewing to see what the beacon is seeing. Joe draws pictures and talks out loud while Ed sits across the table from him, occasionally shoving a picture of Rachel toward him. All McMoneagle supposedly knows about Rachel's whereabouts is that she is somewhere in the Bay area. Here are Joe's psychic impressions:

• half arch

• something dark about it

• darkness

• a feeling she had to park somewhere and had to go through a tunnel or something, a walkway of some kind, an overpass

• there's an abutment way up over her head

• we have a garden, it's a formal garden

• formal gardens get passed

• open area in the center

• trees

• some kind of art work in the center

• this art work is very bizarre, set in gravel, stone
One of these items is relevant: the abutment overhead. The rest have to be stretched quite a bit to fit the place: the viewing area for the Dumbarton bridge. Nevertheless, as Ed nears the location and is driven under an overpass, he declares: "Now I understand what I was getting. That's exactly what I was seeing." Rachel's looking out at the bay. There's no half arch, nothing dark about the place, she didn't have to park anywhere and go through any tunnels or walkways to get where she was (she drove right to the viewing area), there were no gardens or trees, no open area in the center, no art work, bizarre or otherwise. But for McMoneagle this was a bull's-eye!

His descriptions don't seem particularly apt for any of the six possible choices. He's clearly not describing a marina, a quarry, a redwood tree, or an airport. We might find an arch and an abutment at a football stadium. There might even be some trees outside the stadium and the university might have a formal garden somewhere. Any quad would count as an open area. There is bound to be art work on campus and some of it would probably seem bizarre to McMoneagle. I wonder, if he'd been taken to the football stadium, instead of the Dumbarton bridge, would he have said "Now I understand what I was getting. That's exactly what I was seeing"? We'll never know. We do know that Ed May took the pictures from the duplicate set of envelopes and guessed that the target was the Dumbarton bridge. What are we to make of that? Lucky guess? Cheating? He's psychic? He hasn't lost his touch and should tell us where Osama bin Laden is hiding? The beauty of this kind of test from the point of view of the true believer in psychic ability is that one can always claim that McMoneagle was getting psychic impressions from the photos of the football stadium on the Stanford campus, thereby validating his psychic ability! A clever person should be able to find some reason why these photos should overpower the impressions from the actual test site.

In any case, if McMoneagle has the powers he thinks he has, why isn't he in Iraq telling soldiers where the next roadside bomb is going to explode?​

Last edited:
Wikipedia: "Puthoff took an interest in the Church of Scientology in the late 1960s and reached what was then the top OT VII level by 1971. Puthoff wrote up his "wins" for a Scientology publication, claiming to have achieved "remote viewing" abilities.[3] In 1974, Puthoff also wrote a piece for Scientology's Celebrity magazine, stating that Scientology had given him "a feeling of absolute fearlessness".[4] Puthoff claimed to have severed all connection with Scientology in the late 1970s."

It was the time - the 60's and 70's - you had to have been there.

Here is Puthoff discussing the progression of his scientific career -

Fascinating stuff about Remote Viewing! I felt that if you were in a desperate blind military situation and had a psychic guide provide you with a target or course of action already under consideration, it'd be not much worse than guessing on your own. It might, however, provide you with a false confidence in your actions. The mental difference might give you a small edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back