• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Consciousness and the Paranormal — Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Soupie, re the final four paragraphs from your post, reproduced in my post immediately above, I think you will be interested in reading these responses by Velmans to questions based on an earlier paper:

Velmans, Max (1993) Consciousness, Causality and Complementarity. Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 16 (2): 538-541. Copyright Cambridge University Press
Reply to continuing commentaries on Velmans, M (1991) Is human information processing conscious? Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 14, 651-699

"Abstract of 1991 target article: Investigations of the function of consciousness in human information processing have focused mainly on two questions: (1) where does consciousness enter into the information processing sequence and (2) how does conscious processing differ from preconscious and unconscious processing. Input analysis is thought to be initially "preconscious," "pre-attentive," fast, involuntary, and automatic. This is followed by "conscious," "focal-attentive" analysis which is relatively slow, voluntary, and flexible. It is thought that simple, familiar stimuli can be identified preconsciously, but conscious processing is needed to identify complex, novel stimuli. Conscious processing has also been thought to be necessary for choice, learning and memory, and the organization of complex, novel responses, particularly those requiring planning, reflection, or creativity. The present target article reviews evidence that consciousness performs none of these functions. Consciousness nearly always results from focal-attentive processing (as a form of output) but does not itself enter into this or any other form of human information processing. This suggests that the term "conscious process" needs re-examination. Consciousness appears to be necessary in a variety of tasks because they require focal-attentive processing; if consciousness is absent, focal-attentive processing is absent. From a first-person perspective, however, conscious states are causally effective. First-person accounts are complementary to third-person accounts. Although they can be translated into third-person accounts, they cannot be reduced to them."

Consciousness, Causality and Complementarity - Cogprints

ETA: The 'target paper' from which various critiques and Velmans' responses are presented in the above paper appears to be this one: "Is human information processing conscious?". Available here:
http://cogprints.org/593/1/199802003.html

And here is the link to Velmans, "Psychophysical Nature," which I first mentioned in early August in this thread:

http://cogprints.org/6105/1/Psychophysical_nature.pdf

Last edited:
This 2007 paper by Velmans is also relevant to our current discussion:

The Co-Evolution of Matter and Consciousness

Abstract: Theories about the evolution of consciousness relate in an intimate way to theories about the distribution of consciousness, which range from the view that only human beings are conscious to the view that all matter is in some sense conscious. Broadly speaking, such theories can be classified into discontinuity theories and continuity theories. Discontinuity theories propose that consciousness emerged only when material forms reached a given stage of evolution, but propose different criteria for the stage at which this occurred. Continuity theories argue that in some primal form, consciousness always accompanies matter and as matter evolved in form and complexity consciousness co-evolved, for example into the forms that we now recognise in human beings. Given our limited knowledge of the necessary and sufficient conditions for the presence of human consciousness in human brains, all options remain open. On balance however continuity theory appears to be more elegant than discontinuity theory.

Keywords: consciousness, evolution, coevolution, matter, continuity, discontinuity,
complexity, brain

http://hrcak.srce.hr/file/37141

Time and again on this thread I see various convoluted theories being discussed, often based around the premise that all life evolved via the Darwinian mechanism of natural selection acting on advantageous, random mutations and that consciousness needs to be understood by incorporating it into this concept. It is simply taken as a given, an undisputable fact.

Before you decide which theory of consciousness makes the most sense to you, I think firstly a person should thoroughly investigate whether that initial premise is valid. Is all the complexity of life in existence the result of an unguided, materialistic process, or the result of a designing mind? Does the evidence for evolution show life gradually evolving, with species evolving into other species (macroevolution) or does it point to an initial state of high function through the process of intelligent design, with the capacity to adapt or evolve to changes in environment (microevolution)? This is an ongoing debate in science, but those who take the former stance do not like to acknowledge both sides of the debate and do their best to shut it down, dismissing it as religious propaganda masquerading as science. In fact, the theory of intelligent design employs the same scientific reasoning that Darwin used, namely, inference to the best explanation.

This documentary, Revolutionary, explores the ideas of the scientist Michael Behe, who coined the term 'irreducible complexity' which he developed as a theory through studying the bacterial flagellum, which bears many similarities to human-designed motors. The resulting book, Darwin's Black Box, provoked much controversy in the scientific community and led to a famous court case, where the very concept of intelligent design was put on trial, effectively. It also covers the career of Gunter Bechly, a non religious Darwinian scientist who found himself ostracized after 'switching teams' to the intelligent design camp after studying the scientific literature with an open mind:

https://revolutionarybehe.com

Last edited:
Time and again on this thread I see various convoluted theories being discussed, often based around the premise that all life evolved via the Darwinian mechanism of natural selection acting on advantageous, random mutations and that consciousness needs to be understood and incorporated into this concept. It is simply taken as a given, an undisputable fact.

Before you decide which theory of consciousness makes the most sense to you, I think firstly a person should thoroughly investigate whether that initial premise is valid. Is all the complexity of life in existence the result of an unguided, materialistic process, or the result of a designing mind? Does the evidence for evolution show life gradually evolving, with species evolving into other species (macroevolution) or does it point to an initial state of high function through the process of intelligent design, with the capacity to adapt or evolve to changes in environment (microevolution)? This is an ongoing debate in science, but those who take the former stance do not like to acknowledge both sides of the debate and do their best to shut it down, dismissing it as religious propaganda masquerading as science. In fact, the theory of intelligent design employs the same scientific reasoning that Darwin used, namely, inference to the best explanation.

This documentary, Revolutionary, explores the ideas of the scientist Michael Behe, who coined the term 'irreducible complexity' which he developed as a theory through studying the bacterial flagellum, which bears many similarities to human-designed motors. The resulting book, Darwin's Black Box, provoked much controversy in the scientific community and led to a famous court case, where the very concept of intelligent design was put on trial, effectively. It also covers the career of Gunter Bechly, a non religious Darwinian scientist who found himself ostracized after 'switching teams' to the intelligent design camp after studying the scientific literature with an open mind:

I've read some of Behe's stuff - you might also enjoy David Berlinski's work ... and Thomas Nagel's Mind and Cosmos = Nagel was hit pretty hard by the "mainstream" with claims that he supported intelligent design and we discussed some of the criticism a while back - you can search the threads for "Mind and Cosmos" to find it.

One more by Velmans that I think we need to read at this point in order to address the problem of definitions of the terms we are using:

HOW TO DEFINE CONSCIOUSNESS—AND HOW NOT TO DEFINE CONSCIOUSNESS
Journal of Consciousness Studies, 16(5), 2009, pp 139-156.

Abstract -- Definitions of consciousness need to be sufficiently broad to include all examples of conscious states and sufficiently narrow to exclude entities, events and processes that are not conscious. Unfortunately, deviations from these simple principles are common in modern consciousness studies, with consequent confusion and internal division in the field. The present paper gives examples of ways in which definitions of consciousness can be either too broad or too narrow. It also discusses some of the main ways in which pre-existing theoretical commitments (about the nature of consciousness, mind and world) have intruded into definitions. Similar problems can arise in the way a “conscious process” is defined, potentially obscuring the way that conscious phenomenology actually relates to its neural correlates and antecedent causes in the brain, body and external world. Once a definition of “consciousness” is firmly grounded in its phenomenology, investigations of its ontology and its relationships to entities, events and processes that are not conscious can begin, and this may in time transmute the meaning (or sense) of the term. As our scientific understanding of these relationships deepen , our understanding of what consciousness is will also deepen. A similar transmutation of meaning (with growth of knowledge) occurs with basic terms in physics such as "energy", and"time."

http://cogprints.org/6453/1/how_to_define_consciousness.pdf

Time and again on this thread I see various convoluted theories being discussed, often based around the premise that all life evolved via the Darwinian mechanism of natural selection acting on advantageous, random mutations and that consciousness needs to be understood by incorporating it into this concept. It is simply taken as a given, an undisputable fact.

Last night as I was reading one of the four papers by Max Velmans that I linked yesterday I had a sudden and very pleasant sense of what it would mean for there to be seeds of incipient consciousness in preconscious processes evolving in -- and continuing in -- what we categorical thinkers assume to be entirely 'physical' elements of the universe. For the first time I was able to sense/think the possibility of unknown/unknowable forms of preconscious awareness in everything I could see in the room I worked in and outside in the world beyond this room. I also found myself wondering if there might exist -- far beyond our abilities to identify, characterize, or even imagine it -- an intelligence operating in Being itself that enables developments in and of being/beings.

As I read your posts I think that what troubles you most in the dominant paradigm of Darwinian evolution of species and in the theory-driven Neo-Darwinism of our time is the continuing spectre of randomness as Darwin conceived it. In fact, that presupposition of randomness seems to me to operate against the grain of contemporary 'information theory', still seeking intelligible foundations in both science and philosophy.

This is to say that I understand where you are coming from. I think you might find Max Velmans' numerous papers and books to be valuable since, in his extensive critical analyses of various disciplinary and interdisciplinary approaches to consciousness, he goes as far as we are able to go at present, and no farther.

Here, from Google Scholar, is a comprehensive list of links to his developing insights over years of work in the field of consciousness studies. I'm now reading the works that have been published in the last several years:

Max Velmans - Google Scholar Citations

Last edited:
Last night as I was reading one of the four papers by Max Velmans that I linked yesterday I had a sudden and very pleasant sense of what it would mean for there to be seeds of incipient consciousness in preconscious processes evolving in -- and continuing in -- what we categorical thinkers assume to be entirely 'physical' elements of the universe. For the first time I was able to sense/think the possibility of unknown/unknowable forms of preconscious awareness in everything I could see in the room I worked in and outside in the world beyond this room. I also found myself wondering if there might exist -- far beyond our abilities to identify, characterize, or even imagine it -- an intelligence operating in Being itself that enables developments in and of being/beings.

As I read your posts I think that what troubles you most in the dominant paradigm of Darwinian evolution of species and in the theory-driven Neo-Darwinism of our time is the continuing spectre of randomness as Darwin conceived it. In fact, that presupposition of randomness seems to me to operate against the grain of contemporary 'information theory', still seeking intelligible foundations in both science and philosophy.

This is to say that I understand where you are coming from. I think you might find Max Velmans' numerous papers and books to be valuable since, in his extensive critical analyses of various disciplinary and interdisciplinary approaches to consciousness, he goes as far as we are able to go at present, and no farther.

Here, from Google Scholar, is a comprehensive list of links to his developing insights over years of work in the field of consciousness studies. I'm now reading the works that have been published in the last several years:

Max Velmans - Google Scholar Citations

I had a sudden and very pleasant sense of what it would mean for there to be seeds of incipient consciousness in preconscious processes evolving in -- and continuing in -- what we categorical thinkers assume to be entirely 'physical' elements of the universe. For the first time I was able to sense/think the possibility of unknown/unknowable forms of preconscious awareness in everything I could see in the room I worked in and outside in the world beyond this room. I also found myself wondering if there might exist -- far beyond our abilities to identify, characterize, or even imagine it -- an intelligence operating in Being itself that enables developments in and of being/beings.

What a wondeful experience!

I just got notice of this site from PhilPapers:

PhilArchive: The Philosophy E-Print Archive

PhilArchive is the largest open access e-print archive in philosophy. Formerly known as the PhilPapers Archive, it is built on and integrated with the PhilPapers database. Access to items on PhilArchive is free without a user account. PhilArchive is a non-profit project supported by the PhilPapers Foundation.

PhilArchive consists entirely of articles submitted by users. You can contribute by submitting your work.

There are currently 27,478 works in the archive. These works fall under 5,283 topics.

Time and again on this thread I see various convoluted theories being discussed, often based around the premise that all life evolved via the Darwinian mechanism of natural selection

Alan, you should be aware - Constance believes that formations on the surface of Mars are architectural/engineering features built by ancient civilisations, so factor that into your origin-of-life debate

Here is a book notice that will likely be of interest to those posting or reading here, embedded in a post I wrote to the thread discussing a recent Paracast interview with Paul Kimball and Dr. Scott Kolbaba at this link: October 15, 2017 — Dr. Scott Kolbaba with Paul Kimball

"I'm in agreement with several people here, especially @Thomas R Morrison, that there are as yet no critically developed grounds for conflating 'para-normal' experiences occurring during ufo sightings, events, contacts, on one hand, with 'para-normal' experiences of the kinds exhaustively studied by psychical researchers and parapsychologists since the founding of the Society for Psychical Research established in the early 1880s in the UK. That some people claim to have had experiences of both types does not support the proposition that these experiences all have a single origin and significance emanating from a region of 'supernormal being' separate from the region and conditions of being that our species, along with other animal species, occupies in the local world we inhabit.

Our species' recorded history is filled with examples of what psychical researchers have called 'para-normal' experiences and capabilities, including extrasensory perception, precognition, postcognition, telepathy, remote viewing, clairvoyance, and psychokinesis. It might be that people possessing varying degrees of these capabilities are more likely to be open to receiving and understanding information of various kinds available during sightings of ufos and interactions with beings met in encounters with landed ufos. But my impression is that a great many ufo and associated entity witnesses merely experience the shock of encountering radically unfamiliar things and beings in the world they think they are familiar with and understand.

Depending on their personal histories (of experiences and reflection on their experiences, and their resulting psychological mindsets), such witnesses might simply be mentally and emotionally overwhelmed or destabilized by their encounters and either grasp for prosaic explanations of what they are sensing or grasp at 'explanations' in terms of what they have seen represented in films, television programs, and memes widespread in their current popular culture. Neither response is adequate to the challenge of comprehending the nature of what is consciously experienced, whether in ufo encounters or in a multitude of other situations in which we can find ourselves experiencing 'reality' in marginal, multiple, and incoherent ways. What requires investigation in our time is the nature of consciousness itself. The currently developing interdisciplinary field of Consciousness Studies pursues this question from scientific, philosophical, and parapsychological perspectives, all of which are necessary approaches.

There are extensive research archives available to us from the 140 years of modern psychical and parapsychological investigations to date that should be consulted by anyone proposing a theory, or even a working hypothesis, that ufo phenomena can be accounted for as manifestations of a single category of experience we can naively label 'the paranormal'.

There is a new study of William James's investigations of psychic phenomena during the years 1880 to 1910 that might provide a good overview of the mindsets with which psychical researchers had to contend in developing that discipline. I'll post the title and link to the introduction of the book available at amazon. A fully searchable text is not yet available there.

Krister Dylan Knapp, William James: Psychical Research and the Challenge of Modernity, Hardcover – May 1, 2017

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XGZPW56/?tag=rockoids-20

Note: in the table of contents click on "Introduction: Tertium Quid"

ETA: note to C&P readers: the introduction to the Knapp book on James is well worth reading at the link above.

I just got notice of this site from PhilPapers:

PhilArchive: The Philosophy E-Print Archive

PhilArchive is the largest open access e-print archive in philosophy. Formerly known as the PhilPapers Archive, it is built on and integrated with the PhilPapers database. Access to items on PhilArchive is free without a user account. PhilArchive is a non-profit project supported by the PhilPapers Foundation.

PhilArchive consists entirely of articles submitted by users. You can contribute by submitting your work.

There are currently 27,478 works in the archive. These works fall under 5,283 topics.

I've been skimming through the abstracts of the papers recently added to that archive on the opening page you linked and have come across a paper concerning Frege's distinction between 'sensing' and 'thinking'. I have not previously read Frege, but perhaps someone else here has. In any case, it seems to me that the paper I link here might help us to understand better the development of phenomenological philosophy:

Lukas Skiba, Frege’s Unthinkable Thoughts
https://philarchive.org/archive/SKIFUT

As background for reading this paper I suggest the SEP article entitled "Phenomenology," key extracts from which I've copied out below.
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/phenomenology/

". . . Basically, phenomenology studies the structure of various types of experience ranging from perception, thought, memory, imagination, emotion, desire, and volition to bodily awareness, embodied action, and social activity, including linguistic activity. The structure of these forms of experience typically involves what Husserl called “intentionality”, that is, the directedness of experience toward things in the world, the property of consciousness that it is a consciousness of or about something. According to classical Husserlian phenomenology, our experience is directed toward—represents or “intends”—things only through particular concepts, thoughts, ideas, images, etc. These make up the meaning or content of a given experience, and are distinct from the things they present or mean.

The basic intentional structure of consciousness, we find in reflection or analysis, involves further forms of experience. Thus, phenomenology develops a complex account of temporal awareness (within the stream of consciousness), spatial awareness (notably in perception), attention (distinguishing focal and marginal or “horizonal” awareness), awareness of one’s own experience (self-consciousness, in one sense), self-awareness (awareness-of-oneself), the self in different roles (as thinking, acting, etc.), embodied action (including kinesthetic awareness of one’s movement), purpose or intention in action (more or less explicit), awareness of other persons (in empathy, intersubjectivity, collectivity), linguistic activity (involving meaning, communication, understanding others), social interaction (including collective action), and everyday activity in our surrounding life-world (in a particular culture).

Furthermore, in a different dimension, we find various grounds or enabling conditions—conditions of the possibility—of intentionality, including embodiment, bodily skills, cultural context, language and other social practices, social background, and contextual aspects of intentional activities. Thus, phenomenology leads from conscious experience into conditions that help to give experience its intentionality. Traditional phenomenology has focused on subjective, practical, and social conditions of experience. Recent philosophy of mind, however, has focused especially on the neural substrate of experience, on how conscious experience and mental representation or intentionality are grounded in brain activity. It remains a difficult question how much of these grounds of experience fall within the province of phenomenology as a discipline. Cultural conditions thus seem closer to our experience and to our familiar self-understanding than do the electrochemical workings of our brain, much less our dependence on quantum-mechanical states of physical systems to which we may belong. The cautious thing to say is that phenomenology leads in some ways into at least some background conditions of our experience."

That last sentence, of course, turns us toward the investigation of what phenomenologists refer to as 'prereflective consciousness' -- a grounding condition of reflective consciousness developed in our (human) experience of 'self' and 'world' and also immanent and developing in protoconsciousness in the evolution of awareness and affectivity in the 'animal world'.

A further extract from the SEP article:

"How shall we study conscious experience? We reflect on various types of experiences just as we experience them. That is to say, we proceed from the first-person point of view. However, we do not normally characterize an experience at the time we are performing it. In many cases we do not have that capability: a state of intense anger or fear, for example, consumes all of one’s psychic focus at the time. Rather, we acquire a background of having lived through a given type of experience, and we look to our familiarity with that type of experience: hearing a song, seeing a sunset, thinking about love, intending to jump a hurdle. The practice of phenomenology assumes such familiarity with the type of experiences to be characterized. Importantly, also, it is types of experience that phenomenology pursues, rather than a particular fleeting experience—unless its type is what interests us.

Classical phenomenologists practiced some three distinguishable methods. (1) We describe a type of experience just as we find it in our own (past) experience. Thus, Husserl and Merleau-Ponty spoke of pure description of lived experience. (2) We interpret a type of experience by relating it to relevant features of context. In this vein, Heidegger and his followers spoke of hermeneutics, the art of interpretation in context, especially social and linguistic context. (3) We analyze the form of a type of experience. In the end, all the classical phenomenologists practiced analysis of experience, factoring out notable features for further elaboration.

These traditional methods have been ramified in recent decades, expanding the methods available to phenomenology. Thus: (4) In a logico-semantic model of phenomenology, we specify the truth conditions for a type of thinking (say, where I think that dogs chase cats) or the satisfaction conditions for a type of intention (say, where I intend or will to jump that hurdle). (5) In the experimental paradigm of cognitive neuroscience, we design empirical experiments that tend to confirm or refute aspects of experience (say, where a brain scan shows electrochemical activity in a specific region of the brain thought to subserve a type of vision or emotion or motor control). This style of “neurophenomenology” assumes that conscious experience is grounded in neural activity in embodied action in appropriate surroundings—mixing pure phenomenology with biological and physical science in a way that was not wholly congenial to traditional phenomenologists.

What makes an experience conscious is a certain awareness one has of the experience while living through or performing it. This form of inner awareness has been a topic of considerable debate, centuries after the issue arose with Locke’s notion of self-consciousness on the heels of Descartes’ sense of consciousness (conscience, co-knowledge). Does this awareness-of-experience consist in a kind of inner observation of the experience, as if one were doing two things at once? (Brentano argued no.) Is it a higher-order perception of one’s mind’s operation, or is it a higher-order thought about one’s mental activity? (Recent theorists have proposed both.) Or is it a different form of inherent structure? (Sartre took this line, drawing on Brentano and Husserl.) These issues are beyond the scope of this article, but notice that these results of phenomenological analysis shape the characterization of the domain of study and the methodology appropriate to the domain. For awareness-of-experience is a defining trait of conscious experience, the trait that gives experience a first-person, lived character. It is that lived character of experience that allows a first-person perspective on the object of study, namely, experience, and that perspective is characteristic of the methodology of phenomenology.

Conscious experience is the starting point of phenomenology, but experience shades off into less overtly conscious phenomena. As Husserl and others stressed, we are only vaguely aware of things in the margin or periphery of attention, and we are only implicitly aware of the wider horizon of things in the world around us. Moreover, as Heidegger stressed, in practical activities like walking along, or hammering a nail, or speaking our native tongue, we are not explicitly conscious of our habitual patterns of action. Furthermore, as psychoanalysts have stressed, much of our intentional mental activity is not conscious at all, but may become conscious in the process of therapy or interrogation, as we come to realize how we feel or think about something. We should allow, then, that the domain of phenomenology—our own experience—spreads out from conscious experience into semi-conscious and even unconscious mental activity, along with relevant background conditions implicitly invoked in our experience. (These issues are subject to debate; the point here is to open the door to the question of where to draw the boundary of the domain of phenomenology.)"

Also helpful, further on in the SEP article:

"Suppose we say phenomenology studies phenomena: what appears to us—and its appearing. How shall we understand phenomena? The term has a rich history in recent centuries, in which we can see traces of the emerging discipline of phenomenology.

In a strict empiricist vein, what appears before the mind are sensory data or qualia: either patterns of one’s own sensations (seeing red here now, feeling this ticklish feeling, hearing that resonant bass tone) or sensible patterns of worldly things, say, the looks and smells of flowers (what John Locke called secondary qualities of things). In a strict rationalist vein, by contrast, what appears before the mind are ideas, rationally formed “clear and distinct ideas” (in René Descartes’ ideal). In Immanuel Kant’s theory of knowledge, fusing rationalist and empiricist aims, what appears to the mind are phenomena defined as things-as-they-appear or things-as-they-are-represented (in a synthesis of sensory and conceptual forms of objects-as-known). In Auguste Comte’s theory of science, phenomena (phenomenes) are the facts (faits, what occurs) that a given science would explain.

In 18th and 19th century epistemology, then, phenomena are the starting points in building knowledge, especially science. Accordingly, in a familiar and still current sense, phenomena are whatever we observe (perceive) and seek to explain.

As the discipline of psychology emerged late in the 19th century, however, phenomena took on a somewhat different guise. In Franz Brentano’s Psychology from an Empirical Standpoint (1874), phenomena are what occur in the mind: mental phenomena are acts of consciousness (or their contents), and physical phenomena are objects of external perception starting with colors and shapes. For Brentano, physical phenomena exist “intentionally” in acts of consciousness. This view revives a Medieval notion Brentano called “intentional in-existence”, but the ontology remains undeveloped (what is it to exist in the mind, and do physical objects exist only in the mind?). More generally, we might say, phenomena are whatever we are conscious of: objects and events around us, other people, ourselves, even (in reflection) our own conscious experiences, as we experience these. In a certain technical sense, phenomena are things as they are given to our consciousness, whether in perception or imagination or thought or volition. This conception of phenomena would soon inform the new discipline of phenomenology.

. . .

Phenomenology as we know it was launched by Edmund Husserl in his Logical Investigations (1900–01). Two importantly different lines of theory came together in that monumental work: psychological theory, on the heels of Franz Brentano (and also William James, whose Principles of Psychology appeared in 1891 and greatly impressed Husserl); and logical or semantic theory, on the heels of Bernard Bolzano and Husserl’s contemporaries who founded modern logic, including Gottlob Frege. (Interestingly, both lines of research trace back to Aristotle, and both reached importantly new results in Husserl’s day.) . . . ."

Finally, here is another paper that can help us understand the distinctiveness of phenomenology beginning with Husserl "with and against Frege":

Husserl, With and Against Frege
By Frangois Rivenc
Translated from the French by Elizabeth Davis

http://www.harvardphilosophy.com/issues/1996/Rivenc.pdf

Origin Gaps and the Eternal Sunshine of the Second-Order Pendulum

Abstract: The rich experiences of an intentional, goal-oriented life emerge, in an unpredictable fashion,
from the basic laws of physics. Here I argue that this unpredictability is no mirage: there are
true gaps between life and non-life, mind and mindlessness, and even between functional societies
and groups of Hobbesian individuals. These gaps, I suggest, emerge from the mathematics
of self-reference, and the logical barriers to prediction that self-referring systems present. Still,
a mathematical truth does not imply a physical one: the universe need not have made selfreference
possible. It did, and the question then is how. In the second half of this essay, I show
how a basic move in physics, known as renormalization, transforms the “forgetful” secondorder
equations of fundamental physics into a rich, self-referential world that makes possible
the major transitions we care so much about. While the universe runs in assembly code, the
coarse-grained version runs in LISP, and it is from that the world of aim and intention grows.

The world we see, and the worlds we infer from the laws of physics, seem completely distinct. At
the blackboard, I infer that a thin skein of gas will coalesce into objects such as stars and galaxies.
With a few more assumptions I predict the range of masses that those stars should have, beginning
from an account of initial quantum fluctuations. Today, it’s considered a reasonable research goal to
reduce even that story, of the wrinkles in spacetime that seeded Andromeda, to the first principles
of basic physics: Hawking radiation at a horizon, or the quantum statistics of a multiverse.
If, however, I try to infer the existence of the blackboard itself, and the existence of people who
write on it and themselves infer, I am stuck. I find myself unable to predict the spectrum of desires
and goals that evolution can produce, let alone the ones that arise, apparently spontaneously, from
the depths of my own mind. ...

Dear reader of Constructivist Foundations

In two weeks a new issue will be published – a special issue on

Missing the Woods for the Trees: Neglected Aspects of Francisco Varela’s Work

with original contributions by William Clancey, Shaun Gallagher, Humberto Maturana, and Evan Thompson, among others.

For a detailed table of contents of all 55 target articles and open peer commentaries see http://constructivist.info/preview/13.1.pdf

Special Offer • If you support the journal with a subscription of at least €49 you get a Free Print Copy of the November issue delivered to your surface address. This offer ends on Monday 20 November 2017. To read more about this offer please visit http://constructivist.info/offer

Sincerely,
Alexander Riegler

--
Editor-in-chief
Constructivist Foundations (ISSN 1782-348X)
http://constructivist.info

Following is an interesting extract from a 2017 report on current neuroscientific research under the title "Insights into how dopamine directs learning and new techniques for imaging and tracing cells were just some of the advances described at the third annual gathering of the Simons Collaboration on the Global Brain," linked at
Inner Workings of the Brain Explored at 2017 SCGB Annual Meeting | Simons Foundation

". . .Why don’t muscles move when we think about moving them?

When we think about reaching for a coffee cup, the motor cortex shows a pattern of neural activity similar to when we actually make the move. Why do similar activity patterns sometimes translate into movement and sometimes not?

Previous research suggests that neural activity patterns linked to movement are qualitatively different from those that aren’t. In mathematical terms, these patterns reside in different dimensions. In so-called ‘motor-potent’ dimensions, the linear combination of neuronal activity triggers a net output on muscle. In ‘motor-null’ dimensions, the summed activity essentially cancels itself out, having no effect on muscle.

OutputNullDiagramCropped-485.jpg

Muscle service: Imagine a simplified system with two neurons driving a single muscle — the sum of their firing rates is a constant, say 20 spikes per second. When the firing rate for one neuron goes up, the other goes down. Individual neuronal activity can change, but the output to the muscle remains the same. The firing rates of these two neurons create a line that defines the motor-null dimension. In a more complex system of, say, 200 neurons, the line becomes a hyperplane. “When not driving the muscle, patterns of activity in motor cortex seem to live along this hyperplane,” Shenoy says. “Anything that doesn't fall on that output null hyperplane by definition does change activation of the muscle.” Credit: Krishna Shenoy

Motor-null dimensions may offer the motor cortex the ability to plan a movement before executing it. In new research, Krishna Shenoy, a neuroscientist at Stanford, and collaborators suggest that motor-null dimensions also help the motor cortex process new sensory information during movement planning. “We think of those null dimensions as a scratch pad where computations can happen,” Shenoy says.

If someone bumps your arm as you as you reach for a coffee cup, the brain processes that sensory information and adjusts the arm’s reach accordingly. But exactly how that happens is puzzling. Neural recordings have shown that sensory information itself can travel to the motor cortex very quickly, so how does the brain have enough time to act on it? Shenoy predicts that new sensory information briefly lingers in motor-null dimensions and then shifts to motor-potent dimensions, where it directs movement.

The researchers tested this hypothesis in monkeys implanted with a brain-machine interface (BMI), a device that records neural activity from roughly 200 neurons in the motor cortex and translates it into some kind of output. In this experiment, the monkeys learned to move a cursor on a computer screening using just their thoughts. On some trials, scientists made the cursor jump, mimicking someone getting bumped while reaching for coffee. The monkey then had to alter its thinking to correct the cursor’s movement.

Because the researchers are using a BMI, they know precisely how neural activity maps to the cursor’s movement and can clearly define motor-null and motor-potent dimensions. They first record neural activity and the location of a moving target on a screen, which the monkey is trained to plan to reach to. This generates natural motor cortical activity. They then fit a decode model to the neural and kinematic data, which defines a weight matrix that transforms the former into the later. With the weight matrix in hand, they can then use standard linear algebra to define which dimensions are null and which are potent.

Shenoy’s team found that neural activity linked to the visual ‘bump’ did indeed exist in the motor-null dimension initially. After about 50 milliseconds, it morphed into the motor-potent dimension. “The data fall beautifully into those dimensions,” Shenoy says. The results suggest that the motor system performs computations locally before using that data to direct movement.

The researchers next plan to do that same experiment with monkeys trained to use a haptic robotic arm, which can detect tactile feedback. “Now that we can physically perturb the arm, we want to know if proprioceptive information also comes in to the null space first and to see how general this computational principle really is,” Shenoy says.

The researchers also want to apply the findings to their clinical work with people learning to use robotic arms. The software that translates brain activity into arm movement needs to know how to react if the robotic arm gets jostled. For example, the software needs to be able to distinguish motor cortex activity that is being processed in null dimensions from activity that is intended to drive arm movement. “We think that by understanding the null and potent dimensions, we can have people controlling robotic arms without the arm flailing around if it bumps into something,” Shenoy says."

I'm offering this extract for discussion if anyone is interested. I've highlighted in red some of the questionable terms and speculative presuppositions that stand out for me in the extract and elsewhere in the Simons Foundation presentations at the link.

Last edited:
Organismic Biology
Encyclopedia of Philosophy
COPYRIGHT 2006 Thomson Gale

ORGANISMIC BIOLOGY

The term organismalism was coined by the zoologist W. E. Ritter in 1919 to describe the theory that, in his words, "the organism in its totality is as essential to an explanation of its elements as its elements are to an explanation of the organism." Subsequent writers have largely replaced organismal with the more euphonious organismic as a title for this theory, for the many variations on its main theme, and for some subordinate but supporting doctrines concerning the teleological and historical character of organisms.

Ritter regards Aristotle as the founder and most distinguished exponent of the organismic theory. But Aristotle is also claimed as the father of vitalism, a view that organismic biologists in general reject. In fact, there is considerable affinity between the two schools. They both agree that the methods of the physical sciences are applicable to the study of organisms but insist that these methods cannot tell the whole story; they agree that the "form" of the single whole organism is in some sense a factor in embryological development, animal behavior, reproduction, and physiology; and they both insist on the propriety of a teleological point of view. On all of these points, Aristotle not only agrees but presents, in his own terminology, careful and persuasive arguments in their favor. But organismic biology and vitalism differ in one fundamental respect: The latter holds (and the former denies) that the characteristic features of organic activity—all of which fall under the heading of "regulation"—are caused by the presence in the organism of a nonphysical but substantial entity. There are different interpretations of Aristotle (which we cannot examine here) on the question of whether he believes there are such vital entities. In this writer's view, Aristotle is clearly a vitalist.

The affinity between vitalism and organismic biology is more than an accident. In the history of biology it is difficult to disentangle vitalistic and organismic strands, since both schools are concerned with the same sorts of problems and speak the same sort of language. The distinction between them was drawn clearly only in the twentieth century. Organismic biology may be described as an attempt to achieve the aims of the murky organismic-vitalistic tradition, without appeal to vital entities.

The writings of contemporary organismic biologists present a number of difficulties for a philosophical commentator. The position of organismic biology is usually stated in a vocabulary that plays little or no theoretical role in the working language of biology. For example, "whole," "unity," "integrity," "part," "form," "principle," "understanding," and "significance" all occur frequently in their works. Now any biologist will use these terms occasionally in the course of his professional writing, just because they are perfectly good words in the English language. But they are not technical expressions; they are not, in ordinary usage, laden with biological theory; and they are trouble-free only when employed in contexts that make clear their function as items in the common language. The organismic biologist, however, makes them bear a heavy burden in the description of the nature of living organisms. And many, but by no means all, organismic biologists also assign a great deal of weight to some rather mysterious formulas. Here are a few: "The whole acts as a causal unit … on its own parts" (W. E. Agar); "The living body and its physiological environment form an organic whole, the parts of which cannot be understood in separation from one another" (J. S. Haldane); "No part of any organism can be rightly interpreted except as part of an individual organism" (W. E. Ritter). And here are a few more that are characteristic but not direct quotations: "The organic whole is greater than the sum of its parts"; "Knowledge of the goal of an animal's behavior is necessary for understanding its significance"; "Biological theory should be autonomous, with concepts and laws of its own." These formulas may be termed "mysterious" because, according to their most natural interpretations (as will be argued), they are all the barest of truisms.

Two additional points should be mentioned. Organismic biologists have employed some of the more obscure technical conceptions of speculative philosophy, such as "formal cause," "emergence," "hormic," "telic," and so on. And since their writings are a minority report on biological phenomena, organismic biologists are often polemical, engaging in denunciations of other biologists—"mechanists," "elementalists," and "reductionists"—whose positions they leave just as obscure as their own. For all of these reasons, an account of the organismic position that aims at answering the questions likely to be raised by philosophers of science involves elements of reconstruction and interpretation. Thus, a fuller description of the position and an interpretation designed to do justice both to the letter and spirit of the organismic tradition follows.

The Position of Organismic Biology

All organismic biologists hold that there is a gulf between organic and inorganic phenomena in one or more of the following respects.

organic unity

Organic systems are so organized that the activities of the whole cannot be understood as the sum of the activities of the parts. All members of the school agree on this point. As the term organismic implies, the most important example of such wholes is the single organism, but there are others, such as cells, organs, colonies, and some populations.

J. H. Woodger, whose Biological Principles is the most careful and extensive exposition of organismic biology, explains the conception of organic unity in the following way. Consider a system W that is totally composed of physicochemical parts—elementary particles, for example. The activities of these parts are described by the laws of physics. These particles may be the sole constituents of other systems (for example, molecules) which also totally compose W and which exhibit, in addition to activities described by the laws of physics, other activities described by the laws of chemistry. Molecules may similarly be the sole constituents of other systems, which are in turn the constituents …, up to the whole system W. In Woodger's terminology, W exhibits a series of "levels of organization." The parts of W belong to a particular level, its physical parts to the physical level, its chemical parts to the chemical level, and so on. System W constitutes a perfect "hierarchy" of parts from levels 0 (zero) to n (a finite number), if 0-level parts are the sole constituents of all 1-level parts, and if every part at each level i (any given level) except the 0-level is totally composed of parts at level i –1.

Woodger points out that organisms are not perfect hierarchies, since some parts of the organism at an i –level may have parts at the i –2 level, while the i –2 parts are not organized into i –1 parts (for instance, blood has cellular and chemical but noncellular parts). Nevertheless, he contends, organisms approximate to a hierarchical organization. If we ignore deviations from the perfect hierarchy, we may let W represent a whole organism, and we may say that its 0-level parts are physical parts. Now this analysis permits us to say that the organism is composed totally of physical parts. Perhaps some philosophical materialists would be content with this thesis; at any rate, if it is true, it rules out vitalism. But it is false that the organism is composed only of physical parts, for there are parts at higher levels of organization. It is Woodger's contention, and a general thesis of organismic biology, that the laws which determine the behavior of the parts at a given level of organization are silent about some aspects of the behavior of the parts at the higher levels. To use an extreme example, the laws of quantum physics have nothing to say on the question of why honeybees kill their drones. According to Woodger, it is necessary to study the relations between the relata at each level of organization. In order to understand the behavior of cells during morphogenesis, for example, we must develop a theory of cell relations and not be content, for example, with only a theory of the relations between molecules.

determining features of the whole

The parts of organic wholes not only exhibit patterns of behavior in virtue of their relations to other parts at the same level of organization, but in addition, some of the features of the parts at a given level are determined by the pattern of organization at higher (and, of course, at lower) levels of organization. This is the general form of the special thesis that the properties of the whole determine the properties of the part; and it seems to have the methodological consequence that a theory of the elements at a given level could not be complete without a theory of the elements at the higher levels. Woodger puts the point this way: the parts of organisms must be studied in situ, for we cannot learn how they would behave in situ by studying them in isolation.

teleological behavior of organisms
One kind of activity, which is a consequence of organization at a level higher than that of the organism's physical parts, is directive or teleological behavior. Directiveness is an aspect of organisms that is shown in their physiology, in the behavior of individual animals, and in the social systems of some animals; and an account of directiveness is not only legitimate but necessary. E. S. Russell argues that since directiveness (processes aimed at the production and maintenance of organic unities) is a fact, then a physiological process, or piece of animal behavior, cannot be understood until we understand its function or its goal.

Interpretation of Organismic Biology

It was remarked above that if we give the slogans of organismic biology their most direct interpretations, they are nothing more than truisms. Consider, for example, the statement that the whole (if it is an organic unity) is more than the sum of its parts. This looks like a simple warning against the fallacy of composition: we are being warned, for example, that from the premise "No part of a bird can fly" we cannot infer "No whole bird can fly." No weighty volume is required to convince us that a whole may have numberless properties that its parts lack. Of course, there are other possible interpretations of the slogan. It might be taken to mean, especially in the form "The behavior of the whole is more than the sum of the behavior of its parts," that no description of the behavior of the parts could be a description of the behavior of the whole. So far from being a truism, this is obviously false. Finally, it might be taken to mean something like the following. Employing an analysis of Ernest Nagel, we might say that the behavior B of a system S is more than the sum of the behavior b 1, b 2, · · ·, bn of its parts s 1, s 2, · · ·, sn, with respect to an antecedently specified theory T, if (1) B is an instance of a law L ; (2) L is not part of T : (3) the laws in T describe s 1, s 2, · · ·, sn in such a way that they explain b 1, b 2, · · ·, bn ; and (4) L is not deducible from a description of s 1, s 2, · · ·, sn together with laws in T. An important point to notice here is that B can be identical with events b 1, b 2, · · ·, bn, and yet the law of which B is an instance is not derivable from the laws of which b 1, b 2, · · ·, bn are instances.

This account makes the "more than" relation relative to a body of theory. Relative to existing physical and chemical theories, it is true (but perhaps not a truism) that much organic activity is more than the sum of the physical and chemical activities of its parts. The thesis that there are cases of higher-level behavior that will remain greater than the sum of the behavior of its physical parts, for all possible physical theories, is the doctrine of emergence, which many organismic biologists believe to be true. But it is essential to note two points—first, that the thesis is dubious and unproved, and second, that one can be an organismic biologist without believing it (L. von Bertalanffy is an example).

Let us now look at two more formulas of the organismic biologists. Woodger holds that an organic part, such as a cell, has properties in the organism that it does not have in isolation from the organism. This, too, is a truism: An excised eye lacks the property of contributing to the sight of its former owner. Now if we add, as Woodger does, that the properties of the part in the whole could not be uncovered by studying the part outside the whole, the thesis reduces to the thesis of emergence. And certainly, one of the commonest scientific procedures consists in predicting the behavior of a part in a system that has not yet been studied, although this prediction is assuredly made on the basis of knowledge gained by studying the part—not in "isolation," but as a part of other systems. For instance, the behavior of an electron in a cathode ray tube allows us to predict the electron's behavior in a cyclotron.

Finally, we may consider E. S. Russell's remark that understanding the significance of an animal's behavior requires understanding its goal. This, at least on Russell's interpretation, is a truism, for he connects the notion of a goal with the notion of adaptive value for the animal and identifies "significance" with adaptive value.

Omitting specific discussion of the other formulas cited, the general point is clear: Organismic biology seems to collapse either into doctrines that are not controversial or into unclarified, unproved, and dubious assertions about emergence, unpredictability, and irreducibility. Nevertheless, organismic biology is an important and valuable movement, for the following reasons.

First, organismic biology is perfectly correct in pointing out that there are levels of organization above the chemical level which exhibit laws of behavior that are not exhibited at lower levels (for example, molecules do not sting other molecules to death). Higher-level behavior can be treated without reference to behavior at lower levels, which means that the biologist can (and indeed does) construct concepts that are tailored to the description of higher-level behavior. The principles at the higher levels must be formulated before the question of their reducibility to lower level principles can even be considered. A biochemical geneticist is not only a biochemist; he is also a geneticist, because he is involved in elucidating the processes involved in the sort of gross biological phenomena studied by Gregor Mendel.

Second, the insistence of organismic biologists on the importance of functional analysis is well founded. Focusing on the biological ends of physiological and behavioral processes provides the only means for developing the conceptual schemes that are needed in morphology, ethology, evolution theory, and other branches of biology. This point is developed in detail in Morton Beckner's Biological Way of Thought.

Third, although organismic biology is a set of truisms, it is none the worse for being so. The trouble with truisms is their great number: there are so many that we easily overlook, sometimes systematically, some of the most important ones. Even though in fact many biologists agree with the organismic position, they will say that they disagree. This leads to the position (generally deleterious in the sciences) of the scientist's doing one thing and describing it as if he were doing something else.

To sum up, organismic biology is to be interpreted as a series of methodological proposals, based on certain very general features of the organism—namely, the existence in the organism of levels of organization with the biological ends of maintenance and reproduction. These features are sufficient to justify "a free, autonomous biology, with concepts and laws of its own," whether or not the higher levels are ultimately reducible to the lower ones.

See also Aristotle; Bertalanffy, Ludwig von; Biology; Philosophy of Biology; Teleology; Vitalism; Woodger, Joseph Henry.

Bibliography
Agar, W. E. A Contribution to the Theory of Living Organisms. 2nd ed. Melbourne, 1951.

Beckner, Morton. The Biological Way of Thought. New York: Columbia University Press, 1959.

Bertalanffy, Ludwig von. Modern Theories of Development. London: Oxford University Press, 1933.

Haldane, J. S. Mechanism, Life, and Personality, 2nd ed. New York: Dutton, 1923.

Lillie, R. S. General Biology and Philosophy of Organism. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1945.

Nagel, Ernest. "Mechanistic Explanation and Organismic Biology." In Philosophy and Phenomenological Research 2 (1951): 327–338.

Ritter, W. E. The Unity of the Organism. 2 vols. Boston: R.G. Badger, 1919.

Russell, E. S. The Behaviour of Animals. 2nd ed. London: E. Arnold, 1938.

Woodger, J. H. Biological Principles. London, 1948.

Morton O. Beckner (1967)

Following is an interesting extract from a 2017 report on current neuroscientific research under the title "Insights into how dopamine directs learning and new techniques for imaging and tracing cells were just some of the advances described at the third annual gathering of the Simons Collaboration on the Global Brain," linked at
Inner Workings of the Brain Explored at 2017 SCGB Annual Meeting | Simons Foundation

". . .Why don’t muscles move when we think about moving them?

When we think about reaching for a coffee cup, the motor cortex shows a pattern of neural activity similar to when we actually make the move. Why do similar activity patterns sometimes translate into movement and sometimes not?

Previous research suggests that neural activity patterns linked to movement are qualitatively different from those that aren’t. In mathematical terms, these patterns reside in different dimensions. In so-called ‘motor-potent’ dimensions, the linear combination of neuronal activity triggers a net output on muscle. In ‘motor-null’ dimensions, the summed activity essentially cancels itself out, having no effect on muscle.

OutputNullDiagramCropped-485.jpg

Muscle service: Imagine a simplified system with two neurons driving a single muscle — the sum of their firing rates is a constant, say 20 spikes per second. When the firing rate for one neuron goes up, the other goes down. Individual neuronal activity can change, but the output to the muscle remains the same. The firing rates of these two neurons create a line that defines the motor-null dimension. In a more complex system of, say, 200 neurons, the line becomes a hyperplane. “When not driving the muscle, patterns of activity in motor cortex seem to live along this hyperplane,” Shenoy says. “Anything that doesn't fall on that output null hyperplane by definition does change activation of the muscle.” Credit: Krishna Shenoy

Motor-null dimensions may offer the motor cortex the ability to plan a movement before executing it. In new research, Krishna Shenoy, a neuroscientist at Stanford, and collaborators suggest that motor-null dimensions also help the motor cortex process new sensory information during movement planning. “We think of those null dimensions as a scratch pad where computations can happen,” Shenoy says.

If someone bumps your arm as you as you reach for a coffee cup, the brain processes that sensory information and adjusts the arm’s reach accordingly. But exactly how that happens is puzzling. Neural recordings have shown that sensory information itself can travel to the motor cortex very quickly, so how does the brain have enough time to act on it? Shenoy predicts that new sensory information briefly lingers in motor-null dimensions and then shifts to motor-potent dimensions, where it directs movement.

The researchers tested this hypothesis in monkeys implanted with a brain-machine interface (BMI), a device that records neural activity from roughly 200 neurons in the motor cortex and translates it into some kind of output. In this experiment, the monkeys learned to move a cursor on a computer screening using just their thoughts. On some trials, scientists made the cursor jump, mimicking someone getting bumped while reaching for coffee. The monkey then had to alter its thinking to correct the cursor’s movement.

Because the researchers are using a BMI, they know precisely how neural activity maps to the cursor’s movement and can clearly define motor-null and motor-potent dimensions. They first record neural activity and the location of a moving target on a screen, which the monkey is trained to plan to reach to. This generates natural motor cortical activity. They then fit a decode model to the neural and kinematic data, which defines a weight matrix that transforms the former into the later. With the weight matrix in hand, they can then use standard linear algebra to define which dimensions are null and which are potent.

Shenoy’s team found that neural activity linked to the visual ‘bump’ did indeed exist in the motor-null dimension initially. After about 50 milliseconds, it morphed into the motor-potent dimension. “The data fall beautifully into those dimensions,” Shenoy says. The results suggest that the motor system performs computations locally before using that data to direct movement.

The researchers next plan to do that same experiment with monkeys trained to use a haptic robotic arm, which can detect tactile feedback. “Now that we can physically perturb the arm, we want to know if proprioceptive information also comes in to the null space first and to see how general this computational principle really is,” Shenoy says.

The researchers also want to apply the findings to their clinical work with people learning to use robotic arms. The software that translates brain activity into arm movement needs to know how to react if the robotic arm gets jostled. For example, the software needs to be able to distinguish motor cortex activity that is being processed in null dimensions from activity that is intended to drive arm movement. “We think that by understanding the null and potent dimensions, we can have people controlling robotic arms without the arm flailing around if it bumps into something,” Shenoy says."

I'm offering this extract for discussion if anyone is interested. I've highlighted in red some of the questionable terms and speculative presuppositions that stand out for me in the extract and elsewhere in the Simons Foundation presentations at the link.

What are the parts you are questioning here, @Constance? (remember, I don't do colors well! ;-)

Beyond Backpropagation: Can We Go Deeper Than Deep Learning? - TOPBOTS

In an interview with Axios, Hinton suggested that we need to move beyond backpropagation if we want to teach computers to achieve unsupervised self-learning like that of human infants. “I don’t think it’s how the brain works. We clearly don’t need all the labeled data,” he declared, “My view is throw it all away and start again.” Weighing in on the future and his own contributions in the field, he humbly concluded, “The future depends on some graduate student who is deeply suspicious of everything I have said.”

I've been reading and playing a bit with ANNs (artificial neural networks) - this is actually now at the "hobbyist" level, thanks to the Intel Curie ... and it's an interesting form of computation, but there are a lot of folks in the field that agree it's not what the brain is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back