• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Chris angel is amazing !!!

First of all I believe it's spelled "Criss". And second, he's an illusionist, they're illusions.

Criss Angel amazes and depresses me at the same time becuase his stunts make me want to believe in things that can't exist and then he acts all dickish about it afterwards, yet when he's interviewed in a serious setting he's completely upfront about it, stating that these are all illusions, he's an entertainer and there's no such thing as real magic.

In a way, he's like the Amazing Randi on steroids.

First of all I believe it's spelled "Criss". And second, he's an illusionist, they're illusions.

Criss Angel amazes and depresses me at the same time becuase his stunts make me want to believe in things that can't exist and then he acts all dickish about it afterwards, yet when he's interviewed in a serious setting he's completely upfront about it, stating that these are all illusions, he's an entertainer and there's no such thing as real magic.

In a way, he's like the Amazing Randi on steroids.

I agree. But how the hell does he do those things? I just can't wrap my mind around it.

Not impressed!

This is how it's done:

First you cut your foot (for real).
Let it heal for a few days... Then you get yourself a prosthetic limb.
When the stage is set... and the time is right, you cut the fake (prosthetic) one... and Voilà! your trick is a success.

After that you'll be the talk of your hometown...for all the wrong reasons.

Let's be clear; Criss Angel is a "magician" or "illusionist." All of his feats are tricks. (He's been awarded Illusionist of the Year several times in past years and is a great performance artist.)

The Masked Magician show on TV gives away some of his secrets, including the wood chipper performance. In this trick, the coffin has a false back side which the magician opens at the last minute to roll out on the ground behind the faked support stand (uses mirrors so it seems as though you can see through the stand) just before getting to the very real wood chipper which destroys the "coffin." It's still a great trick and takes a legitimate talent for the exact timing necessary to pull it off.

Let's be clear; Criss Angel is a "magician" or "illusionist." All of his feats are tricks. (He's been awarded Illusionist of the Year several times in past years and is a great performance artist.)

The Masked Magician show on TV gives away some of his secrets, including the wood chipper performance. In this trick, the coffin has a false back side which the magician opens at the last minute to roll out on the ground behind the faked support stand (uses mirrors so it seems as though you can see through the stand) just before getting to the very real wood chipper which destroys the "coffin." It's still a great trick and takes a legitimate talent for the exact timing necessary to pull it off.

I agree, you would not want to screw up the timing on that one!

I agree. But how the hell does he do those things? I just can't wrap my mind around it.

By lying to the audience of course. I can't speak to his live shows but his tv show makes it pretty obvious that the people he picks "at random" aren't and that his "continuous shots" aren't.

Precisely. Pretty much all of his interesting illusions on the TV show could never be done in a live setting. Not that there's anything wrong with that...smoke and mirrors kiddos...and leather pants...the leather pants are key. :D

Illusionist. All set up before hand. Must admit he has a good show going on.

I prefer the street magic of David Blaine. Cool card tricks win me over all the time.

Illusionist. All set up before hand. Must admit he has a good show going on.

I prefer the street magic of David Blaine. Cool card tricks win me over all the time.

i have freaked out several friends by using his levitation technique.

Precisely. Pretty much all of his interesting illusions on the TV show could never be done in a live setting. Not that there's anything wrong with that...smoke and mirrors kiddos...and leather pants...the leather pants are key. :D

Yeah, but he does do it in a live setting with crowds all around him. Granted it is on TV and you could argue that all people were in on it, but still... I remember one episode when he was walking on water of the swimming pool with people swimming under him and others checking to make sure he doesn't have any ropes attached. How did he do it? The only explanation is that it was all staged and people were in on it.

Yeah, but he does do it in a live setting with crowds all around him. Granted it is on TV and you could argue that all people were in on it, but still... I remember one episode when he was walking on water of the swimming pool with people swimming under him and others checking to make sure he doesn't have any ropes attached. How did he do it? The only explanation is that it was all staged and people were in on it.

I can see how it might be done unstaged. It would involve a crane that is just out of view from anyone in the pool and very thin hang wires. The time he walks on water in the lake. I have no earthly idea how that could not be staged.

I can see how it might be done unstaged. It would involve a crane that is just out of view from anyone in the pool and very thin hang wires. The time he walks on water in the lake. I have no earthly idea how that could not be staged.

Yeah, but I think somebody would have noticed a crane or the wires. That's the first thing I would have looked for. I mean it would have to be directly above him, plus he was moving about freely and people were checking to make sure that there were no wires. I don't know. I guess that's why he's so good.

Yeah, but I think somebody would have noticed a crane or the wires. That's the first thing I would have looked for. I mean it would have to be directly above him, plus he was moving about freely and people were checking to make sure that there were no wires. I don't know. I guess that's why he's so good.

I saw that one in the pool. The only thing i could think of was he was walking on a glass platform just under the surface, and everyone is in on it. But much past that, i have no clue?

I really like Criss Angel when he doesn't act silly, although I guess that's more his stage character. I especially love when he called out Jim Callahan on that show Phenomenon. Criss freely admits that everything he does is a trick. I don't think that the continuous shots are faked, since he seems concerned about his reputation. With some of the things he does, he makes me think that he has a twin no one knows about.

Here's the Phenomenon clip:

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8kAdZcbfiGY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

Truthseeker, I believe you are correct in Criss' walking on water illusion that all the people in the pool are in on the trick.

Again, from watching the TV show that reveals all of magic's great illusions, the masked magician showed how walking on submerged plexi-glass supports gives a great walking on water effect as the supports are extremely hard to see in the water in the bright sunlight with people stirring up the water by their swimming around. Some can even swim under the supports in certain areas as they are not solid. Still, a fun illusion...it doesn't bother me that he tries to play up his abilities in a serious manner; otherwise it wouldn't seem like "magic."

I also think that most of his teleportation illusions are pulled off by use of a "double."

Back