• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Can you or would you communicate with a shadow being?

You wouldn't want to. From the (limited) research I've done, and one personal experience, you don't want to attempt to communicate. He might answer you. Really----whether this is a internal, psychological occurence, or a "demon", or whatever---it's a wholly negative event.

I know we don't discuss (admitted) fiction much here but this reminds me of something. Dean Koontz wrote a book called "Odd Thomas" and it became a series and it is good. But, that's not what I'm writing about (Koontz runs me nuts because he is talented but lazy with stock chara..Oh, sorry that's for a book forum) Ahem, anyway in this particular story (and the first one was before I had heard about shadow people) there are some bad or negative entities that show up right before a disaster. They feed off negative energy. He doens't call them shadow people but the way he describes them sure sounds like shadow people. Anyway, if you want a quick entertaining read and you pick the first book up you will see what I mean.

I know we don't discuss (admitted) fiction much here but this reminds me of something. Dean Koontz wrote a book called "Odd Thomas" and it became a series and it is good. But, that's not what I'm writing about (Koontz runs me nuts because he is talented but lazy with stock chara..Oh, sorry that's for a book forum) Ahem, anyway in this particular story (and the first one was before I had heard about shadow people) there are some bad or negative entities that show up right before a disaster. They feed off negative energy. He doens't call them shadow people but the way he describes them sure sounds like shadow people. Anyway, if you want a quick entertaining read and you pick the first book up you will see what I mean.

Koontz is so prolific I don't see how it could be any other way. That guy writes books at a pace it takes some people to read them. The characterization could be better if he would slow down and think a bit more before typing but obviously he isn't a perfectionist, more of a git-r-done type. And hey, that's probably a good thing because perfectionism can often lead to paralysis. But yeah, characters have always been one of his weak points. But I think his imagery is very good.

As far as this thread goes: Weird question. What in the hell am I suppose to ask one?

What would you do in order to communicate with a shadow being if you thought one was near?

What would you want to communicate? What questions would you ask?

I'm sure readers of the forum have thought a bit about this in relationship to potential contact with non-human intelligences in the form of aliens or visitors. I guess shadow beings qualify. I'm curious as to what others think appropriate questions might be for non-human intelligences in general and how you would judge the veracity of any answers you might receive. Also, once you have the answers to these questions, how would the information be made useful?

What would you want to communicate? What questions would you ask?

I'm sure readers of the forum have thought a bit about this in relationship to potential contact with non-human intelligences in the form of aliens or visitors. I guess shadow beings qualify. I'm curious as to what others think appropriate questions might be for non-human intelligences in general and how you would judge the veracity of any answers you might receive. Also, once you have the answers to these questions, how would the information be made useful?

There's tons of things I could think of to ask a non-human intelligence. But I'm thinking of something physical, an ET or something like that. Shadow people sounds like something supernatural and I'd be at a loss attempting to question that.

My question would be: Holy shit, you exist?

after I cleaned out my britches, that's probably what I'd say, too.
The paranormal/fortean realm is really interesting, and almost endlessly intriguing-----until it happens to you. (At least in my personal experience) Then, it scares the crap out of you.

after I cleaned out my britches, that's probably what I'd say, too.
The paranormal/fortean realm is really interesting, and almost endlessly intriguing-----until it happens to you. (At least in my personal experience) Then, it scares the crap out of you.

Nothing unexplainable has ever happened to me, so the fascination for me is why some people insist it's all true. Maybe I'll change my tune when I'm abducted by aliens or I see a ghost with someone else with me (just so that I know it wasn't my brain playing a trick on me).

Lots of people claim they are in contact with non-human intelligences. IF a person found themselves in such a situation what would be the intelligent things to ask such a thing? Certainly questions like Who are you? Where are you from? What do you want? are as obvious as they are problematic.

Lots of people claim they are in contact with non-human intelligences. IF a person found themselves in such a situation what would be the intelligent things to ask such a thing? Certainly questions like Who are you? Where are you from? What do you want? are as obvious as they are problematic.
The question is: would we Humans be able to recognize another intelligent being as such? The only manifestations of intellect come from Mankind's framework of reference. Our behavior and even our cognitive processes are based in a mirror principle, in immitation and reaction to other people's physical and linguistic expression. A being with a different appearance and means of expression would probably seem so distant from our communicational abilities as a wolf or a shark.

A little OT, but dogs are probably the closest thing to a non-human intelligence that we have for sure communicated with. We can recognize each other's emotions and to some extent convey commands/requests. And apparently dogs can do some things that even close relatives like wolves can't. Like if you point at something a dog will look where you're pointing but a wolf just looks at your hand (hopefully not biting it off...). Of course dogs and humans are both social animals, and we actually have a long shared evolutionary history, unlike what we'd have with ET or "shadow beings".

i think it depends on why the being is a shadow. if it's demonic or negative in nature, i'm definitely not going to talk to it. but if for instance it's a ghost of a person who happens to be a shadow for some reason or another, then sure, i'll try to communicate. but you can never really be sure either way.

You people sound like you are convinced that demonic beings and ghosts exist. What makes you say that? Any personal experiences?

These shadow figures/shapes are quite interesting are they part of our mind playing tricks or real encounters with a parallel worlds which these shadows press against when people see them? How can they make sounds if they are our minds playing tricks?

Sure I'd try, if I wasn't busy being scared.

As strange as it may seem to some people, I'm convinced that most apparitions (including shadow people) are nothing more than glimpses into a different timeline than the one in which we exist. Perhaps they see us and are scared of us as well.

When I was a child, I would sometimes sleep in my parents' room and when I was alone, I would always see the dark silhouette of a man wearing a fedora watching me from the corner of the bed. It appeared as if he would peek around the bed post. I remember I felt scared because I didn't know who/what he was, but at the same time, I felt as though he was protecting me from something.

As I got older, I chalked this ongoing experience up to some kind of psychological thing- the mind likes to find familiar shapes (and this is what I still believe). When I started digging into paranormal topics and learned about Shadow People, I was quite taken aback- and even more so that most people considered these apparitions to be evil in nature. Even though I'm a skeptic about my own experience, I almost felt hurt that someone would insinuate that my watchman was a malevolent spirit. "He" had just become a memorable part of my childhood I guess- whether he was real or not.

I never really thought to try to talk to "him" when I was a kid, I think even now I still wouldn't try. I can't really describe why... Though if I were to encounter one of these evil shadow people, I think I'd have to ask it to leave...

These shadow figures/shapes are quite interesting are they part of our mind playing tricks or real encounters with a parallel worlds which these shadows press against when people see them? How can they make sounds if they are our minds playing tricks?

Our mind can make us both hear and see things - it's not a stretch to say that these "shadow beings" are in one's mind. I'd say that thinking that they are some sort of other dimensional being is infinitely more of a stretch.

Back