• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Bishop, Bosley - May 30th

Free episodes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Goddess Wallter saw. Was her name Hekate from Greek Mythology or is that just a name you have thrown out there?

I said, "the goddess Hekate or whoever." It is just an educated guess on my part since Walter wouldn't say. I used it as an example that is all. I really regret ever having said anything about it. Honestly.

I invite you and pairofcats both to put my on your ignore list.

I said, "the goddess Hekate or whoever." It is just an educated guess on my part since Walter wouldn't say. I used it as an example that is all. I really regret ever having said anything about it. Honestly.

That's acting a little sensitive don't you think? Why would i need to put you on my ignore list? Just because i don't agree with your position regarding this thread and it's subject or anything else, it seems, does not mean i don't look forward to your up coming posts or opinions whether i agree with them or not.

In a perfect world the scientific method is with out a doubt the best practice for finding definitive answers or finding better questions. The biggest problem in applying it to the paranormal is in our inability to recreate the phenomenon at will. I think the better question to ask here is who can design a testing regimen that would bring us answers to specific questions. I think it is easy to do if you have physical trace evidence (radar data, ground chemistry, ectoplasm, debris... etc) but harder to do when the evidence is anecdotal.

Right, and confirmed here by another topic : meteorites

L'Aigle Meteorite.

History: A meteorite shower of more than 3,000 fragments that rained down on the town of L'Aigle in Normandy, France, 70 km west of Paris, in the early afternoon of Apr. 26, 1803. It proved to be a turned point in the understanding of meteorites and their origins. Until this time, the idea that rocks came from space seemed fantastic, and even witnessed meteorite falls were treated with scepticism. But, upon hearing of the extraordinary events at L'Aigle, the French Academy of Sciences sent Jean-Baptise Biot to investigate. His passionate paper describing how these stones must undoubtedly be of extraterrestrial origin effectively gave birth to the science of meteoritics. [J.B.Biot, Mém. Inst. France, 1806, 7, (Histoire), p.224; J.B.Biot, Ann. Phys., 1804, 16, p.44]

I never had an ignore list ever, and will not start now. I've decided for me, to avoid getting into long drawn out debates with people, unless i want to. Your entitled to your opinion, and i guess everyone here, does have one. Walter said he has no prove of what he claims. At least he is up front about it. And at the end of the day, what he claimed will not effect you from getting on with your daily life.

Although I'm generally a defender of science, I do have to concede that there are cases where science has ignored strong anecdotal evidence that could not be accounted for by contemporary theories:

Rogue wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Science is supposed to ignore anecdotal evidence.

---------- Post added at 08:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 AM ----------

Right, and confirmed here by another topic : meteorites

L'Aigle Meteorite.

History: A meteorite shower of more than 3,000 fragments that rained down on the town of L'Aigle in Normandy, France, 70 km west of Paris, in the early afternoon of Apr. 26, 1803. It proved to be a turned point in the understanding of meteorites and their origins. Until this time, the idea that rocks came from space seemed fantastic, and even witnessed meteorite falls were treated with scepticism. But, upon hearing of the extraordinary events at L'Aigle, the French Academy of Sciences sent Jean-Baptise Biot to investigate. His passionate paper describing how these stones must undoubtedly be of extraterrestrial origin effectively gave birth to the science of meteoritics. [J.B.Biot, Mém. Inst. France, 1806, 7, (Histoire), p.224; J.B.Biot, Ann. Phys., 1804, 16, p.44]

That's a perfect example of how science leaves a lot of room to change one's opinion. I 've said many times, I don't think there's any evidence that would make me believe that aliens are abducting people. If it were documented and studied, then I would have no choice but to change my opinion. EVen if an alien came into my house and said, hey, were' real, I would question my sanity before thinking that it was a real event.

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 AM ----------

Do you or have you read the bible? Do you believe in God? Do you believe that Jesus ever existed? All evidence pertaining to the aforementioned icons are purely anecdotal.
Answer: Some of it (all four Gospels, and a lot of other stuff). Nope. Possibly, although not like he was described in the Bible.

Walter said he has no prove of what he claims. At least he is up front about it. And at the end of the day, what he claimed will not effect you from getting on with your daily life.

Good grief. One more time and I am done. I think Walter is probably a nice fellow. I never said that Walter was lying. I never said that Walter didn't see anything. I simply suggested another interpretation of what he claims to have seen. I don't know how I could say that more plainly. Just as the case of the lady who says she saw a vampire in the road I think she would be better served to have said, "I saw something that looked like a vampire in the road."

Now, if that still just sticks in someones craw then that is their problem not mine.

Good grief. One more time and I am done. I think Walter is probably a nice fellow. I never said that Walter was lying. I never said that Walter didn't see anything. I simply suggested another interpretation of what he claims to have seen. I don't know how I could say that more plainly. Just as the case of the lady who says she saw a vampire in the road I think she would be better served to have said, "I saw something that looked like a vampire in the road."

Now, if that still just sticks in someones craw then that is their problem not mine.

Have you not for a while now vigorously argued that Walter interpretation of this event is wrong. In doing so. That means you do not believe his is telling the truth (lying) Just admit it? You put to me in a nicer way in your post. That your simply suggesting another interpretation of what he claims. But your interpretation is useless having not been there to see what Walter alleged he saw. Your just projecting your views and thinking here to what you personally believe and will not believe. You have already stated you do believe in Mysticism, and that eventually science will answer all the unanswered mysteries we debate today.

Have you not for a while now vigorously argued that Walter interpretation of this event is wrong. In doing so. That means you do not believe his is telling the truth (lying) Just admit it? You put to me in a nicer way in your post.

Once again Kieran, I have to question whether you actually understand what I've written. I give up. OH GAWD YES! I SEE THE LIGHT NOW! WALTER SAW A GODDESS! GLORY!

L'Aigle Meteorite.

Science is supposed to ignore anecdotal evidence.

---------- Post added at 08:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 AM ----------

That's a perfect example of how science leaves a lot of room to change one's opinion. I 've said many times, I don't think there's any evidence that would make me believe that aliens are abducting people. If it were documented and studied, then I would have no choice but to change my opinion. EVen if an alien came into my house and said, hey, were' real, I would question my sanity before thinking that it was a real event.

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 AM ----------

Angel, actually my point was more to say that if science was not ignoring anecdotal evidences, at least when they are widespread, we would not have waited since the 19th century to study meteorites. And it would probably have advanced astronomy as a whole as well.

Science can back-up phenomena that it has studied, that's its function and purpose, fine, but I think it is getting beyond its role and may be violating its own principles when its rejects phenomena without having given them proper consideration. And this is the problem that ufology is facing now.

"Science is supposed to ignore anecdotal evidence"

As verification for theories, yes. As suggesting things that may need further investigation, no.

"Science is supposed to ignore anecdotal evidence"

As verification for theories, yes. As suggesting things that may need further investigation, no.

I agree. I was talking in terms of verifying.

Have you not for a while now vigorously argued that Walter interpretation of this event is wrong. In doing so. That means you do not believe his is telling the truth (lying) Just admit it? You put to me in a nicer way in your post.

I do believe that TO has the same opinion as me in this case. We're not calling him a liar. He sounds sincere. We just question the way he is interpreting things.

What happened to my post about Capgras syndrome?

Was it deleted for some reason?

See post #115. But hey, I don't think that will be anymore well received than any other known and plausible explanation for some things that were said on that particular show.

My apologies - and thanks. Obviously the conversation has moved on further than I thought (although I did check with the search function and couldn't find my earlier post)!

Thanks again - just wanted to make sure I hadn't offended anyone!

My apologies - and thanks. Obviously the conversation has moved on further than I thought (although I did check with the search function and couldn't find my earlier post)!

Thanks again - just wanted to make sure I hadn't offended anyone!

Well, I certainly haven't intended to do that either.

I'd love to hear/read/participate in that, and for the record, I think I can somewhat (at least) relate to your experience.

Once again Kieran, I have to question whether you actually understand what I've written. I give up. OH GAWD YES! I SEE THE LIGHT NOW! WALTER SAW A GODDESS! GLORY!

Of course i understood, what you wrote. But please, be free. Enlighten me here to your thoughts, on what i am clueless about?
Look you strike me as a person with a overinflated ego "everyone else is wrong but me complex" Yes you have often have posted some interesting thoughts on subjects that i agree with, but you need to understand not everyone views phenomenological reality the same way as you and i do. Even more so when it comes to discussing Paranormal subjects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back