• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Be Afraid

RenaissanceLady

Paranormal Adept
This is from Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA) who is on the House Science Committee:

Rep. Paul Broun Says Evolution, Embryology, and Big Bang Theory are "Lies from the Pit of Hell."

This is what American Theocracy looks like. It will undermine science, critical thought and everything that made the U.S. a great nation.

If Rep. Broun wants to believe that the earth is 9000 years old and that evolution (THE most successful scientific theory ever) is straight from the pit of hell, it's his right and I'll defend it.

BUT that's where it ends, WITH him.
I will NOT tolerate him pushing his inbred self-imposing ignorant superstitions on me or anyone else by using the government as a Holy Sledgehammer.

There is absolutely nothing...nothing that infuriates me more than brain dead Nazi's trying to make me conform to their religion. It tends to bring out the Incredible Hulk in me.

Woah Woah there Mr Atheist. Some of us on these fine forums are Christians. Being compared to Nazis is uncalled for. Take a pill and relax. :rolleyes:

Woah Woah there Mr Atheist. Some of us on these fine forums are Christians. Being compared to Nazis is uncalled for. Take a pill and relax. :rolleyes:

If I offended you, then you did not read my post closely enough.

If you are a Christian, I have no problem with that what so ever. I really don't. I hope you find happiness, peace and fulfillment in it.
Years ago I took an oath to protect this country from all enemies, foreign and domestic. No one ever told me that oath was over.
Freedom of religion is one of the strongest pillars of this country, and I have put myself in harms way protecting that right along with freedom of speech, the press, protection from unreasonable search and seizure, the right to bear arms, and every other right.
If called to do it, I would do whatever is necessary to protect your rights.

But your religious rights end where mine begin. I will not be forced to follow your religion, or Rep.Broun's, or anyone else's. THAT'S freedom of religion.
Rep.Broun's idea of religion is cramming HIS ideas of what religon is down peoples throats---whether they like it or not. Calling him a Nazi is spot on. Fascism comes in many different forms.
People like him want to put Creationism in text books. HIS view of Creationism. And he wants to run his position in government and make his decisions in government based on Christian beliefs.

How would you feel if he were Islamic and tried to make you, a Christian, live by Sharia law? You wouldn't like that at all I'm willing to bet.

So why should I feel any different?

If you want to be a Christian, this country guarentees you have that right.....and I'll back that up.
Just leave me alone and out of it, ...leave science out of it.....and leave my kids out of it.

BTW, I am most certainly not an atheist, nor am I anti-Christian. And I really don't harbor any ill will toward you Fcseven, .....as long as you are not Rep.Broun's brand of fundamentalist and try to make me follow your religion.

dear mr Broun :
what came 1st Adam and eve or the Dinosaurs?
On what day did the Ice age happen?
Do you have any evidence for a world wide flood?
Did you know your easter was a PAGEN holiday?
Did you know your CRISTMAS was a pagen holiday?
DID YOU KNOW THAT THE EARTH IS SIX BILLION YEARS OLD? (undisputed fact!)
Blessed be!
RIKKI

304048_481856545168695_2002415703_n.jpg

396808_420965867942385_1124225787_n.jpg

Brian Cox (physicist) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

It should be worrisome that someone who thinks science is "lies from the pit of hell" is on a government science committee. This isn't accidental. This is about someone who wants his position in government to be the club which he can use to beat his very narrow interpretation of Christianity into anyone who doesn't meet his narrow view regarding what makes a Christian.

This is how the U.S. marches backwards into the Dark Ages. When science is taken out of our education system, what sort of education will we be giving those who would have become scientists, doctors, engineers or anything else? When the cornerstones of science are taken out of science classes, it's a small step before faith and prayer are inserted there. When evolution (a fundamental part of biology) is gone, medicine as we know it will be gone. Faith-based medicine is what will take it's place, much to the dismay of anyone who gets sick or is injured.

When science is from hell, scientists will be its demons. Those who have appointed themselves to carry out "God's" work will certainly find a biblical punishment for whoever they feel is an enemy. We need to be paying attention and make certain they get no more power to inflict their reality upon us.

Its really sad imo.
At a time when humanity as at least contemplating, if not actually facing contact with a non terrestrial reality, we still fall back on outdated superstition to deal with this

From Nick Redferns Final events
Yes, they are all Christians, or became Christians after they came to accept the theory. As for their positions, we're largely talking about people in the Intelligence community - and a lot from the DIA in particular - and also Air Force Intelligence. There are a few of the older, original members left, but today, they have allegedly placed their research on-hold, due to a belief that a final battle between good and evil is drawing near, and that the UFO presence will be finally be revealed for what they believe it to be.​
The most ominous thing is that there appear to be some people attached to the group who believe that to save the US from what they perceive as a Satanic threat, the US should be placed under a near-martial law situation with the nation ruled by an iron-fist that adheres to Old Testament style teachings and beliefs.

It makes me so mad, to think that this species might run screaming back to crawl under the rock of superstition when faced with such an obvious and natural reality.

Its very important to seperate superstition and state, and ignorance from scientific knowledge.

This makes me very afraid

Perhaps the most ominous allegation in the report from Americans United for Separation of Church and State is the following: “At a more basic level, we have been informed that General Weida has cultivated and reinforced an attitude—shared by many in the Academy Chaplains’ Office and, increasingly, by other members of the Academy’s permanent [staff]—that the Academy, and the Air Force in general, would be better off if populated solely by Christians. A stronger message of official preference for one particular faith is hard to imagine.”
The implications of this are quite staggering: it means the Air Force officer corps is being educated not as a military force subordinate to a civilian authority, but as soldiers who are “accountable first to God.” Those who will be placed in control of the vast destructive power of modern aerial weaponry, including “smart bombs” and nuclear missiles, are to constitute a sort of praetorian guard of Christian fundamentalists.
Aside from its dire meaning for American democracy, there is the overriding question of mankind’s survival: The Pentagon is putting the power to incinerate the human race in the hands of religious zealots who believe in an imminent “second coming” in which Jesus Christ will stage a fiery return. Certainly an officer corps steeped in such a religious dogma will have few moral qualms about the use of nuclear weapons. Quite the contrary, they may well see a nuclear holocaust as a religiously ordained and even desirable way of hastening the “end time.”

Christian fundamentalist bigotry reigns at US Air Force Academy

... Rep. Paul Broun Says Evolution, Embryology, and Big Bang Theory are "Lies from the Pit of Hell."
This is what American Theocracy looks like. It will undermine science, critical thought and everything that made the U.S. a great nation.

How is it that people like that get any serious political recognition whatsoever? Thanks for shining a light on our own brand of religious nutbars! If I could be God for 5 minutes I'd take all the freaking radicals and warmongers and put them all on their own little planet way out there on the edge of some far away Galaxy where they couldn't hurt anyone but themselves ... hey wait a minute ... that's exactly what and where we are already! Somebody please ... help me get off this crazy freaking rock!

I remember when that article first came out. Some things have changed for the better. I know in 12/05 Brig. Gen. Johnny Weida was reassigned from the Academy and a current Google of his name shows that since July, 2009, he's been Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, Plans and Requirements, at the Headquarters for the U.S. Air Force in Washington, D.C. (Though I personally think he has no business serving in any official capacity and should have been forced to retire. He may have some medals and achievements but he is a most pernicious man.) I also remember reading that new people at the top were trying to purge at least some of the bigotry out of Academy, though if they've actually succeeded is something of which I'm unsure. (More on that below). Still, this memo about Gen. Weida that came out earlier in 2005 shows how the military was more than willing to look the other way in terms of religious intolerance toward anyone not an evangelical Christian:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/nation/nationalsecurity/military/IG_Complaint_Analysis_Summary.pdf

The following article came out in 2007 and I would say is rather damning. The good news is that General William Boykin has now retired from the military and clearly has found a position more to his liking - as head of the extreme Family Research Council. The article discusses the dangers these men posed to the military and how their hatred was allowed to flourish:
Aside from its dire meaning for American democracy, there is the overriding question of mankind’s survival: The Pentagon is putting the power to incinerate the human race in the hands of religious zealots who believe in an imminent “second coming” in which Jesus Christ will stage a fiery return. Certainly an officer corps steeped in such a religious dogma will have few moral qualms about the use of nuclear weapons. Quite the contrary, they may well see a nuclear holocaust as a religiously ordained and even desirable way of hastening the “end time.”
The Cancer From Within

While Gen. Weida may not still be in charge of the Academy, efforts to allow more religious tolerance has met with some resistance, most notably (but not surprisingly) from House Republicans. Just this past July, 66 House Republicans decided that not allowing religious people to be bigots was an assault on religious freedom:

Debate reignites over religion at Air Force Academy

The long-smoldering debate at the U.S. Air Force Academy over the role of religion in cadets’ lives has reignited, just as a new class arrives on campus for basic training.

Accusations of improper proselytizing on the Colorado Springs, Colo., campus have been challenged by those who argue that AFA guidelines curtail religious expression.

The two sides recently clashed over a letter from 66 House Republicans urging Defense Secretary Leon Panetta to investigate the USAF’s growing “hostility toward religious freedom” under guidelines set last September by USAF Chief of Staff Gen. Norton Schwartz.

In response to allegations of proselytizing, Schwarz mandated that only chaplains could endorse religious programs.

But the congressional letter argues that the new policy goes too far.

“While we agree that leaders should not use their positions to impose their religious beliefs or extend preferential treatment to those who share their beliefs, the decisions that have been made in reliance upon this policy go beyond what is required by the U.S. Constitution,” the letter reads.

The Chaplain Alliance for Religious Liberty, a conservative Christian organization representing evangelical chaplains, applauded the letter.

“There’s nothing wrong with a commander attending, even publicizing and encouraging ... a good and positive event for the morale and the welfare of military personnel,” said executive director and retired Col. Ron Crews, a former chaplain with 28 years of military experience.

“There’s nothing wrong with a commander saying, ‘This is an event that I support and I am going to.’ You’re encouraged to go, but you are not ordered to go,” he said.

But David Mullin, a former AFA economics professor, said military culture muddies the distinction between encouragement and orders, so only chaplains should speak on religious matters.

“When a military commander says ‘you are encouraged to attend,’ whether it is to military officers or civilians, that is an effective order,” Mullin said. This constitutes improper proselytism, he added.

A self-described evangelical, Mullin is one of the few to openly criticize what he calls an unhealthy religious climate in the AFA. He is represented in court by the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, a legal watchdog.

Mullin was one of five academy professors who sued unsuccessfully in January 2011 to stop a school prayer luncheon that would feature as keynote speaker a veteran who calls himself a “U.S. Marine for Christ.”

He alleges his dog was poisoned after he protested about the school’s religious climate later that year.

Mullin suggests part of the problem stems from the AFA’s Colorado Springs location. The city hosts many evangelical parachurch organizations, such as James Dobson’s Focus on the Family, as well as New Life Church, an evangelical church founded by its former pastor Ted Haggard.

He added that some of these groups have access to the academy, including cards that get them into dorms.

“You have very strong encouragement — basically carte blanche access to cadets by the leadership of the academy by these groups,” Mullin said. “It is corruption, and there is substantial religious discrimination as part of this corruption,” he said.
For the full article, see: Debate reignites over religion at Air Force Academy - The Washington Post

You have to wonder about those who proclaim the loudest on matters of morality and family values etc. If we had the chance to snoop on every second of these people's lives - do you think we would find all sweetness and light? ;)

Back