• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

are vaccines safe?

are vaccines safe?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pretty much 10 out of 10 people that tell me what they know about Andrew Wakefield and VAXXED have never seen the movie or heard what his study was actually about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Italians are saying no to mandatory vaccinations in a big way! Wow. Major protests. Smart people.

I know from a nurse here in the Uk that some Pharmaceutical companies do not like to disclose whats in the vaccines mainly due to the mercury content. Again i understand both sides of the coin in this sort of debate there are pros and cons for both sides. It will be only a problem if "they" start making people take Vaccinations against peoples will.

The problem here is that the people we are talking about are not old enough to make an informed opinion ie babies and young children.
Someone has to make not only a decision on their behalf but the best decision.

I'm sure some people hold the view seatbelts and child safety car capsules are unsafe, but the law says you must use one anyway.

My wife was saying last night when she was in school some kids got Polio. That doesnt happen anymore.

Thats the irony of this discussion. Those claiming they dont need vaccinating can only have that position because vaccines have all but removed the need.

Whats even more interesting is Pixel has long had this nihilist disregard for the damage being done to the environment, the species loss, the danger posed by Fukushima.

The entire ecosystem has "broke down" many times in earths history LONG before humans arrived, nearly every single time earth has done it to herself, other times via astroid impacts. Natural extinction of species is what promotes evolution and should not be that concerning in the big picture. It could be argued that since we are natural to the earth, whatever we do is natural, if Fukashima radiation kills us all then it isnt really much different than all of us dying from an astroid impact or ice age, volcanic blast, etc etc.

The destruction or taking of natural habitats for a personal habitat is something that has been going on since life forms first existed.

The death, destruction and injury suffered by the rest of the world is of no concern to him, But when its his own suddenly hes a crusader for "truth"

I know from a nurse here in the Uk

And i know a Nurse here in Australia who said, anyone who'd ever seen a baby with whooping cough would never knock the vaccination against it again.

Days before Riley's death, Ms Hughes issued an impassioned plea to other families to consider vaccinating their children against the disease.

"If you haven't been immunised against whooping cough [pertussis], please consider getting it done," she wrote.

"Heartbreaking to watch four-week-old Riley struggle with it at PMH. Please keep him in your thoughts."

Australian Medical Association (AMA) WA president Michael Gannon said the case was a tragic reminder that people needed to get vaccinated against potentially fatal infections.

The best way to protect newborn babies is for older brothers and sisters, mother and fathers and anyone else in the community who might come into contact with them to be vaccinated."

Dr Gannon said it was a tragic reminder of how important it was that "we never take our eye of the ball and get lazy with vaccinations".

"This is a preventable infection, it is preventable with a very safe, proven vaccine - there is no reason not to have it," he said.

"Unfortunately, we need tragic cases like this to remind us how lethal these infections are.

"Most people have never seen polio, most people have never seen tetanus ... these were realities not so long ago."

'Forever in our hearts': Family hope baby's whooping cough death not in vain

Last edited by a moderator:
You can lay much of the blame for the measles outbreaks on the alarming number of parents who don’t vaccinate their kids. Both the Minnesota and Indiana measles episodes were traced to unimmunized people who had picked the disease up abroad and then spread it to others, many of whom were also unvaccinated

Why Are Babies Dying of Old-Fashioned Whooping Cough?

The vaccine refusers aren’t helping, but the current epidemic is bigger than they are.

In the bad old days, whooping cough, like measles, infected nearly all children, often causing terrible sickness or even death (listen to the characteristic cough, especially harrowing in babies). It was with the advent of a vaccine for whooping cough, created in the 1940s, that the number of deaths plummeted.

WHO DECIDES WHICH FACTS ARE TRUE?

In 1998 Andrew Wakefield, a British gastroenterologist with a history of self-promotion, published a paper with a shocking allegation: the measles-mumps-rubella vaccine might cause autism. The media seized hold of the story and, in the process, helped to launch one of the most devastating health scares ever. In the years to come Wakefield would be revealed as a profiteer in league with class-action lawyers, and he would eventually lose his medical license. Meanwhile one study after another failed to find any link between childhood vaccines and autism.

Yet the myth that vaccines somehow cause developmental disorders lives on. Despite the lack of corroborating evidence, it has been popularized by media personalities such as Oprah Winfrey and Jenny McCarthy and legitimized by journalists who claim that they are just being fair to “both sides” of an issue about which there is little debate. Meanwhile millions of dollars have been diverted from potential breakthroughs in autism research, families have spent their savings on ineffective “miracle cures,” and declining vaccination rates have led to outbreaks of deadly illnesses like Hib, measles, and whooping cough. Most tragic of all is the increasing number of children dying from vaccine-preventable diseases.

In The Panic Virus Seth Mnookin draws on interviews with parents, public-health advocates, scientists, and anti-vaccine activists to tackle a fundamental question: How do we decide what the truth is? The fascinating answer helps explain everything from the persistence of conspiracy theories about 9/11 to the appeal of talk-show hosts who demand that President Obama “prove” he was born in America.

The Panic Virus is a riveting and sometimes heart-breaking medical detective story that explores the limits of rational thought. It is the ultimate cautionary tale for our time.

The Panic Virus « Seth Mnookin

Hey quit being stupid. Wakefields paper never made that claim. You are not stating facts. Read his paper or listen to the podcast and quit lying.

Wakefields paper never made that claim.

You cant be serious ?

Andrew Jeremy Wakefield (born 1957)[1][2] is a British former gastroenterologist and medical researcher who was struck off the UK medical register for his fraudulent 1998 research paper, and other proven charges of misconduct, in support of the now-discredited claim that there was a link between the administration of the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine, and the appearance of autism and bowel disease.[3][4][5][6][7]

Never let the facts get in the way of s good conspiracy i guess.

I just calculated the odds - even using Pixel's math - of four in four kids being negatively impacted by vaccines.

You don't even want to know how vastly improbable it is.

It's people like you that put science in regression.
It was a lead scientist at the CDC that said there was a casual link between MMR and autism and that the were told to cover it up.
Wakefield never said it in paper. Why are you so ignorant?

You two don't even know what wakefields paper stated, don't know what the CDC scientists stated and act like you know something. Wake up. Get the facts.

Post edited to remove the dumb ass statement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Autistic enterocolitis is the name of a nonexistent medical condition proposed by discredited British gastroenterologist Andrew Wakefield when he suggested a link between a number of common clinical symptoms and signs which he contended were distinctive to autism.[1] The existence of such an enterocolitis has been dismissed by experts as having "not been established".[2] Wakefield's now-retracted and fraudulent[3][4] report used inadequate controls and suppressed negative findings, and multiple attempts to replicate his results have been unsuccessful.[5]

Reviews in the medical literature have found no link between the MMR vaccine and autism or with bowel disease.[6][7][8]

Most of Wakefield's coauthors later retracted the conclusions of the original paper proposing the hypothesis,[9] and the General Medical Council found Wakefield guilty of manipulating patient data and misreporting results.[10][11] His work has been exposed as falsified and described as an "elaborate fraud

The claims in Wakefield's 1998 The Lancet article were widely reported;[15] vaccination rates in the UK and Ireland dropped sharply,[16] which was followed by significantly increased incidence of measles and mumps, resulting in deaths and severe and permanent injuries.[17] Physicians, medical journals, and editors[18][19][20][21][22] have described Wakefield's actions as fraudulent and tied them to epidemics and deaths,[23][24] and a 2011 journal article described the vaccine–autism connection as "perhaps the most damaging medical hoax of the last 100 years"

Autistic enterocolitis is the name of a nonexistent medical condition proposed by discredited British gastroenterologist Andrew Wakefield when he suggested a link between a number of common clinical symptoms and signs which he contended were distinctive to autism.[1] The existence of such an enterocolitis has been dismissed by experts as having "not been established".[2] Wakefield's now-retracted and fraudulent[3][4] report used inadequate controls and suppressed negative findings, and multiple attempts to replicate his results have been unsuccessful.[5]

Reviews in the medical literature have found no link between the MMR vaccine and autism or with bowel disease.[6][7][8]

Most of Wakefield's coauthors later retracted the conclusions of the original paper proposing the hypothesis,[9] and the General Medical Council found Wakefield guilty of manipulating patient data and misreporting results.[10][11] His work has been exposed as falsified and described as an "elaborate fraud

The claims in Wakefield's 1998 The Lancet article were widely reported;[15] vaccination rates in the UK and Ireland dropped sharply,[16] which was followed by significantly increased incidence of measles and mumps, resulting in deaths and severe and permanent injuries.[17] Physicians, medical journals, and editors[18][19][20][21][22] have described Wakefield's actions as fraudulent and tied them to epidemics and deaths,[23][24] and a 2011 journal article described the vaccine–autism connection as "perhaps the most damaging medical hoax of the last 100 years"

Where are you getting this bullshit?
It is very twisted.

Why not listen to words from the mouths of Andrew Wakefield or Dr William Thompson a top scientist at the CDC?
Are you chicken?

Vaccines: Vac-Gen/Side Effects

Severe problems (very rare)

Several severe problems have been reported following MMR vaccine, and might also happen after MMRV. These include severe allergic reactions (fewer than 4 per million), and problems such as:

• Deafness.
  • Long-term seizures, coma, lowered consciousness.
  • Permanent brain damage.
Because these problems occur so rarely, we can’t be sure whether they are caused by the vaccine or not.

But let's give Pixel the benefit of the doubt, and just lump them in with the allergic reactions.

So that's one in four million. 4 x 10^6.

But it happend with four in four kids. So that's (4 x 10^6)^4. Which is...

One in 2.56 x 10^26. That's 2.56 followed by 26 zeros.

There have only ever been 100 billion humans on the face of the earth. So the odds of that ever happening, if every human were ever vaccinated that has ever lived...

is one in 2.26 x 10^15.

So although I'm very sympathetic to your children's suffering Pixel, I really struggle with attributing it all to vaccinations.

It's so vastly improbable as to require attribution to some other factor. Like environmental, or genetic, or something else. Or a combination of factors that aren't understood.

Anyone feel free to correct my math. Probabilities were never really my thing.

Last edited:
Math is math. And math always wins.

Do the math. Lead scientist at CDC admits to corruption and covering up MMR/autism link.

Do me and yourself a favor and listen to the Out of the Box podcast above.
I would be very interested in your thoughts after listening. You seem to be one of the more intelligent member that's engaging in this topic.

Do the math. Lead scientist at CDC admits to corruption and covering up MMR/autism link.

Do me and yourself a favor and listen to the Out of the Box podcast above.
I would be very interested in your thoughts after listening. You seem to be one of the more intelligent member that's engaging in this topic.
I just did do the math.

I just did do the math.

No, you didn't.
Have you read Dr Wakefields paper or listened to him explain the actual content of it?
Have you listened to Dr William Thompson's own voice admitting what he and his team did?

If you didn't then you are a liar and a poor excuse of a researcher.

Back