• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Are there too many commercials?

Utter nonsense my friend. Having more commercials doesn't mean I have more money. It mostly goes to the network and local stations, and, frankly, I only get paid for the ads I can sell. Period.

And I'm still waiting.

Hard line questions? My friend, the illusion that we were, except for a few instances, that hard-hitting except to ask for further explanation, needs to be dispelled. Far too many of the older episodes didn't question people who should have been questioned. That has changed.

And, no, we don't quickly close contrary threads on the forum. But I'll close this one if you continue to misrepresent what we do. :)

I would add three things:

1. I am no longer a moderator, and, with the exception of one show I've committed to doing, no longer a co-host.

2. Biedny must hold some kind of Internet forum record for closing threads and banning users, so your critique is way off base.

3. Biedny made his living picking on easy targets - the Steve Bassetts and Steven Greers of the world. When, exactly, did anyone ever hear him challenge someone like Jacques Vallee, with whom he agreed on most points?

I agree about the commercials in principle, but that's radio. Gene has a right to earn a living, and to try and expand his audience. If you don't like it, there are plenty of amateur podcasts floating around. I hear that the last time Biedny was heard from, it was on one of those, so you should probably head over there.

Enjoy.

Meanwhile, Gene continues to pull in quality guest after quality guest.

Commercials are obviously needed, and they are never going to go away. People yelling about how they want commercial free entertainment should count up the number of hours in total that Gene has put into the paracast and then see if they would like to put that many of their hours into something for free.
One point i would add however, its that the commercials at the moment seem to come around so regularly that they often stop a conversation from properly 'taking off'. I would prefer to see longer talk times, but with longer ad times mixed in.... but who knows if that is something the radio would agree too.
I have addressed some of my thoughts on where i think the business models might go for these sorts of programs in the future in this thread:
'Around the table' link Broken
But for the time being we I think things with GCN will remain the same.

Oh.. and the actual content of the show is on the whole much better nowadays IMO, although there were some classic with Biedny.

Gene likes to close on the break on a cliff-hanger--which makes sense. Staying within that 10 millisecond tolerance is probably difficult when one is listening to the guest--something like "oops...lost track of the time...hey...cliff hanger...time to break!" Overall, I think a warning at the beginning of the show might help--Gene could just tell everyone "hey listen, folks, like you I get lost in the story and lose track of the time, so if you hear me cut off our guest...I'm not being rude, just trying to keep to the format"

(Yelling and screaming followed by the screeching feedback of a poorly set up PA, then ...) "The increased presence of commercials can only signal the inclusion of the Paracast in the World Wide Conspiracy of subversion and mind control that the Man is using to keep us down!" (screams, cheers, and chanting in the background followed by the sound of small arms fire and explosions) Attica! Attica!

See, now dB would have banned me already. LOL!!

I stand corrected, Gene, if you, truly are not making any increased profit running the PC as a radio show. If that's the case, then I offer an apology (not for the threat of being banned, mind you, but because I'm capable of admitting I could be wrong.) That being said, I stand behind the remaining comments, though. When you can do a podcast that's dedicated to calling out those filled with BS, muddying the waters, and trying to cut their own wake, I believe you're on a venture toward the Truth. When you have a podcast that calls to light pioneering names of researchers that blaze new trails in the fields they study, you have a valid and reputable podcast. And when you go from a podcast with very few interruptions to one with very many interruptions the transition is very difficult for your audience. The direction taken with The PC is clear.

The forums are a place to criticize as well as praise. I'm criticizing The PC because of this; The PC is a program I admire greatly, and see as a great resource that holds much potential for the field of UFO and paranormal investigation. Believe it or not, I hold mounds of respect for Gene, Paul, and the rest of the 'cast' that is utilized now, but with that said, again, I view the move from one format to the other as a sell-out. 'nough said on that.

Regarding Mr. Kimball's comment tagging dB as having favorites while calling out other guests as frauds and worms, I agree, 100%. There were a few guests in particular who made claims equal to some of the 'Steven Bassetts' in the field that dB let slide, when other guests he cut into and deep. As far as listening to other podcasts, my iTouch has a massive amount of memory. I listen to several of the amateur podcasts as well as The PC. Believe it or not, some of those amateur podcasts have quality and sincere guests also. I think one thing that needs to always be in some peoples minds, here, is that at one point The PC was considered one of those amateur podcasts; one that stuck-to-their guns and made a name for themselves. It would do you well, Paul, to remember that, even if it was years before you'd heard of The Paracast.

You raise some interesting questions, which deserve full and honest answers, so here goes:

1. Money: Typical of shows on smaller networks, except for a few of their top acts, no money changes hands. It's not a question of "if," but of none. We earn income based on the number of ads we can sell out of the ones we're allotted. We get the same number of minutes (3 per hour, or 6 30-second ads) as the network. The rest go to the local stations, and that's their income for carrying the show. When we post the podcast version, it's off the network feed and all the ads, except for the few we are granted, go into their coffers. The networks never lose regardless.

Top-draw acts, on the other hand, have five-day-a-week shows and can earn more in a year than they need to last a dozen lifetimes. I have been doing online radio since 2003, starting with The Tech Night Owl LIVE. Only this summer have the two shows been capable of generating an adequate income, assuming the network gig works. I think I am, at the very least, entitled to earn enough money to pay my bills and grant Mrs. Steinberg and me a rare vacation (I haven't had one since 2006).

Income, however, is more of a potential than a reality. It depends on how many stations carry us, and persuading advertisers to kick in some cash. For both, I welcome your assistance and those who deliver positive results will be appropriately rewarded. :)

2. Taking No Prisoners: There is no change in our philosophy, except that we largely avoid the easy targets nowadays. There's no reason to bring on a Michael Horn or Jim Sparks for two episodes apiece, or have Greer or Bassett return. Indeed the latter two were actually granted far more courtesy than they deserved on The Paracast, and their respective well-publicized meltdowns occurred with surprisingly docile questions. Having on a guest and then, after they leave, spending 10 minutes to talk about the questions we should have asked but didn't isn't productive.

At the same time, responsible people should be treated respectfully, even if we don't agree with them. We will continue to ask the proper questions, without being just plain insulting. Where their logic fails, you will know it and the real offenders will never return. We're not shock jocks, although I suspect someone who used to be with us would find that label a compliment.

In the end, I have no political or commercial agenda other than to do a good radio show.

See, now dB would have banned me already. LOL!!

I stand corrected, Gene, if you, truly are not making any increased profit running the PC as a radio show. If that's the case, then I offer an apology (not for the threat of being banned, mind you, but because I'm capable of admitting I could be wrong.) That being said, I stand behind the remaining comments, though. When you can do a podcast that's dedicated to calling out those filled with BS, muddying the waters, and trying to cut their own wake, I believe you're on a venture toward the Truth. When you have a podcast that calls to light pioneering names of researchers that blaze new trails in the fields they study, you have a valid and reputable podcast. And when you go from a podcast with very few interruptions to one with very many interruptions the transition is very difficult for your audience. The direction taken with The PC is clear.

The forums are a place to criticize as well as praise. I'm criticizing The PC because of this; The PC is a program I admire greatly, and see as a great resource that holds much potential for the field of UFO and paranormal investigation. Believe it or not, I hold mounds of respect for Gene, Paul, and the rest of the 'cast' that is utilized now, but with that said, again, I view the move from one format to the other as a sell-out. 'nough said on that.

Regarding Mr. Kimball's comment tagging dB as having favorites while calling out other guests as frauds and worms, I agree, 100%. There were a few guests in particular who made claims equal to some of the 'Steven Bassetts' in the field that dB let slide, when other guests he cut into and deep. As far as listening to other podcasts, my iTouch has a massive amount of memory. I listen to several of the amateur podcasts as well as The PC. Believe it or not, some of those amateur podcasts have quality and sincere guests also. I think one thing that needs to always be in some peoples minds, here, is that at one point The PC was considered one of those amateur podcasts; one that stuck-to-their guns and made a name for themselves. It would do you well, Paul, to remember that, even if it was years before you'd heard of The Paracast.

You remind me of the same people who called Dylan a sell-out when he went electric, or stopped listening to REM when they altered their sound. The show has the capacity to evolve; it's up to each individual listener as to whether they have that same capacity, or want to follow where the show might be going, or whether they want to continue to stay in their comfort zone, with sounds that are familiar. For my part, I dig Radio Free Europe, and I also dig Losing My Religion; Blowin' in the Wind, and Like A Rolling Stone.

As for the Paracast, I've been listening since show #1, and in my opinion it is leaps and bounds better than it was then.

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

On the issue of those commercial breaks, I've raised that with Gene, and hopefully he will address it in the future, because they are currently far too jarring. I was cut off more than once, and while a host may be used to it and roll with it, a guest may not know it's coming, and get offended as a result. On a show like C2C, or the X-Zone, you can tell when the break is approaching because you can start to hear the music, and therefore you realize that it's time to wrap it up before the host has to interrupt.

You remind me of the same people who called Dylan a sell-out when he went electric, or stopped listening to REM when they altered their sound. The show has the capacity to evolve; it's up to each individual listener as to whether they have that same capacity, or want to follow where the show might be going, or whether they want to continue to stay in their comfort zone, with sounds that are familiar. For my part, I dig Radio Free Europe, and I also dig Losing My Religion; Blowin' in the Wind, and Like A Rolling Stone.

As for the Paracast, I've been listening since show #1, and in my opinion it is leaps and bounds better than it was then.

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

On the issue of those commercial breaks, I've raised that with Gene, and hopefully he will address it in the future, because they are currently far too jarring. I was cut off more than once, and while a host may be used to it and roll with it, a guest may not know it's coming, and get offended as a result. On a show like C2C, or the X-Zone, you can tell when the break is approaching because you can start to hear the music, and therefore you realize that it's time to wrap it up before the host has to interrupt.

Sorry folks Gene has a living to make and grow up life is full of ups and downs! Commercials are part and parcel of show business get used to it!

I miss the old one, This is Tamara from Name Chief (I never could quite make what she was saying) ..... I liked her voice..... but as Gene says its a trade off. I can put up with a few more commercials for a bit more discussion.... now where can I get some military surplus... any ideas?

I miss the old one, This is Tamara from Name Chief (I never could quite make what she was saying) ..... I liked her voice..... but as Gene says its a trade off. I can put up with a few more commercials for a bit more discussion.... now where can I get some military surplus... any ideas?

It's Namecheap actually. :)

Sorry folks Gene has a living to make and grow up life is full of ups and downs! Commercials are part and parcel of show business get used to it!

I find it absolutely ridiculous that the subject was even brought up. Of course there are going to be more commercials. That's the damn point of the whole business. Sell ads, make money, provide a radio show. What's so complicated about that? Get with the program people! Sheesh.

Well, in the end I knew there was nothing I was going to say that would change the commercialization of The PC, but as the forms are a place to be heard, for better or worse, this is where I vented. Um, also, please note, as vocal as I am against the commercials and change in format, I am not the one who started this thread. 'nough said.

Well, in the end I knew there was nothing I was going to say that would change the commercialization of The PC, but as the forms are a place to be heard, for better or worse, this is where I vented. Um, also, please note, as vocal as I am against the commercials and change in format, I am not the one who started this thread. 'nough said.

Understand that there is really no other viable business plan to allow this show to grow beyond the confines of just a podcast. We run the same number of commercials as any networked radio show in the U.S. As to the change of format, aside from somewhat more structured breaks (which actually helps keep the discussion on track), it's not all that different.

Now if NPR picked us up, well that would help, but then you'd get the regular pleas for donations to fund the station. And those who know of the financial trials I've suffered are probably sick of that stuff.

I visited the forums to see if there was some edited version of the show offered because the number of commercial breaks there is now is ridiculous. I don't listen to terrestrial radio for this reason. The nature and type of commercials is really just insulting to the listener too so instead I am going to be choosing not to listen anymore.

I visited the forums to see if there was some edited version of the show offered because the number of commercial breaks there is now is ridiculous. I don't listen to terrestrial radio for this reason. The nature and type of commercials is really just insulting to the listener too so instead I am going to be choosing not to listen anymore.

Please see my comments ahead of your message about this. You pose an insoluble problem, and, besides, nothing prevents you from Fast Forwarding through the ads.

What a belly laugh! You don't know how to fast forward through the commercials in an mp3? Really? If you are listening using any mp3 player that I know of on a PC or MAC all you need to do is move the slider. iPod or similar device? There is a button for that. What is the big deal? Insist on pre-chewed food as well?

What a belly laugh! You don't know how to fast forward through the commercials in an mp3? Really? If you are listening using any mp3 player that I know of on a PC or MAC all you need to do is move the slider. iPod or similar device? There is a button for that. What is the big deal? Insist on pre-chewed food as well?

I read this and assumed old guy; click profile big suprise it is an old guy. Welcome to modern media why do I have to deal with commercials, why do I have to do anything? Way to take a podcast and turn it into the same thing as bad AM radio. I would pay 5 or 10 dollars a month for a commercial free version but I see thats not even offered.

I read this and assumed old guy; click profile big suprise it is an old guy. Welcome to modern media why do I have to deal with commercials, why do I have to do anything? Way to take a podcast and turn it into the same thing as bad AM radio. I would pay 5 or 10 dollars a month for a commercial free version but I see thats not even offered.

Since you appear to have joined us just to attack the ads, I suggest you take a few moments to read the previous posts I made on the subject. As I said, there is no other viable business plan to run this show successfully — other than public radio. Nobody is giving us a large cash grant to ensure our survival.

Back