• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Are there too many commercials?

mikec

Skilled Investigator
I just listened to the Richard Dolan episode, and I was surprised at how many commercial interruptions there were during the show.

I haven't timed it out, or compared it to an older show, but there sure seems to be a lot more breaks for advertising than I remember.

Is this the case?

I just listened to the Richard Dolan episode, and I was surprised at how many commercial interruptions there were during the show.

I haven't timed it out, or compared it to an older show, but there sure seems to be a lot more breaks for advertising than I remember.

Is this the case?

The number of breaks is the same as other network talk shows in the USA. We also give you about 12 minutes additional content. It's the best tradeoff we can offer.

The network clock we follow is the standard Clear Channel setup if anyone is interested.

Not bothered by the commercials , remember we are getting the shows for free and Gene voice commercials are better than shit you get on other commercial podcast (Darkmatters not included):)

I'm pretty sure Gene is tired of hearing this. Yes, there are more commercials, but there is also more content. I'm happy for the success of the show and I just fast forward through the commercials, which in all honesty are not meant for someone like me anyway.

I kind of look at it like this: If success is measured by the number of sponsors that want to place ads with a show, then the Paracast is pretty successful. And hopefully what's getting out is more signal than noise.

I'm pretty sure Gene is tired of hearing this. Yes, there are more commercials, but there is also more content. I'm happy for the success of the show and I just fast forward through the commercials, which in all honesty are not meant for someone like me anyway.

They crack me up. Especially the Armageddon one. I wonder how long they worked on that script? :D

Anyway you slice it I still enjoy them more than that insanely long UFO magazine advertisement where Birnes used to give you like 75 ways to order.... :)

If only there were some way to make an iPod play more rapidly through the commercials. :rolleyes:

I like the one that tells me that my water is "burning holes in my body" and giving me cancer. Oh, and there was another good one, the martial law one, with the big scary magaphone voice saying "remain in your houses until your ankle bracelets are scanned". That one actually made me laugh out loud.

If only there were some way to make an iPod play more rapidly through the commercials. :rolleyes:

I like the one that tells me that my water is "burning holes in my body" and giving me cancer. Oh, and there was another good one, the martial law one, with the big scary magaphone voice saying "remain in your houses until your ankle bracelets are scanned". That one actually made me laugh out loud.

I actually like the water ad too.
Makes me want to drink more water. :D

I download the mp3 and listen on my computer's media player, so they're easy to skip over. Although as Ron Collins suggests, listening to them might be an experience in itself.

I download the mp3 and listen on my computer's media player, so they're easy to skip over. Although as Ron Collins suggests, listening to them might be an experience in itself.

At least the ones I run help keep us in business, these are the first or second ads after a break. The rest belong to the network.

My personal favourite's the Drainclaw, if only they were available in the UK!
The acid water one's pretty funny too, buy our product or YOU WILL BE DRINKING CANCER!!!!

MY favourite is the Efoods-direct 2 week evacuation kit, which they say people will need due to the Gulf Oil spill.
Honestly though, I do find it fascinating how different the commercials are in the states. They all seem to be about scare tactics

The commercials make for great comedy...I had to rewind the one about "crossbreed holsters...." hahahaha--->"crossbreed"

Most of the most aired commercials are designed as remedies for disaster relief.

Do online backups to make sure you don't lose your data in case of an emergency!

Take this/that/or the other pill to cure something, but the side effects could kill you!

Buy insurance to protect your life, your health, your car or your home in the event of a disaster!

Invest in gold to protect your money!

Get help to pay off your debts!

Hire a firm to keep the IRS from taking your stuff!

Get the picture? It's not just an alternative radio network, but EVERY radio network and TV station

It's simple, skip over them. That is what I do. Some of them are annoying and others are funny (unintentionally). A lot of the GCN bombastic ones are like that. The only one that is valid from what I heard on the few times I didn't skip was for the International Forecaster as that is an excellent publication IMO. Heck, some of the Paracast generated ads are a bit out there too, though. "Find out what THEY don't want you know!" :)

oh...gosh...they're watching me now....time for dariks boot and nuke ....wait...no...i got it!--Just toss the hdd in the microwave....wait... :p

As mentioned on this weeks episode, there are too many commercials. Though I thoroughly enjoyed the Ted Phillips interview, I will never get over the fact that the guest has to be (rudely) interrupted in order to break for the commercial. Just when the guest really gets into the topic, STOP! time to hear about a remedy for my heart, or a holster that won't pinch, tweek, scratch, or tickle, or some such thing. Wow is that annoying, not just to us the listeners, but I'm sure the guests and 'co hosts' as well. Oh sure, fast-forward through the commercials, edit them out (of a 3 hour show? Who has time for that?), or stop listening to The PC are all viable options but it's difficult to accept 45 minutes of annoying commercials when you used to get the same program for just a few interruptions. Gene keeps touting the 12 additional minutes of program, but honestly, you can keep the 12 minutes if I don't have to deal with the 45 minutes (plus) of commercials, myself.

Of course, the show's changed dramatically in other ways, now, hasn't it? Tolerance is up. 'Hard line' questions are down, and the only cranky co-host we have now is Kimball, and he tries to be as polite as possible when asking a luke warm question or quickly closing a thread on the forums that he doesn't agree with or that he believes is pointless. In the end, I've taken to calling The Paracast Coast-to-Coast 2.0 with the tag line, "Even more Larry Kingly!" but now that I'm sure it's more profitable with more money coming into the host, this is what we will have to tolerate. Some could say that someone sold out. Some could say that the show is all about entertainment and less about answers, less about sorting truth (signal) from pretend (noise), now. Some could say that, and I don't believe I would be quick to disagree with them.

Back