• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Are there Forum Rules?

Along with the previous guidelines I'd like to also suggest the use of the Conversation Feature for the resolution of interpersonal problems.

If you have a interpersonal issue with a fellow poster use the Conversation Feature to contact the poster directly. Work out your problems outside of subject threads as others might not be as interested as you are in your personal drama.

If the person you attempt to contact doesn't have the wherewithal to answer you then ignore them and move on. Don't derail threads by interjecting personal messages to posters in an attempt to resolve your personal issues with them.

Maybe folks could write their posts then go away for 10 mins and then post it. That is if you feel you may say something out of order!
But, sound advice indeed Trained.
Steve, the man who changes profile pics more often than I change.....Actually Steve, liking the wrap-around grey alien eye look. Is that you with a mirror or did you get the image elsewhere?

Well, I was called a religous twit or something like that :p Scientology was referenced. So, being a southern (with a little touch of redneck humor) Irish American I wanted to do a little smart ass rebuttal. So, I found a Tom Cruise pic with an alien tint and there ya have it. :p I even added a sig line but Trained pointed out a certain logic. If ya have a scientology signature line people might actually mistake you for one. So, I deleted the sig. But kept the Cruise. ;)

Well, I was called a religous twit or something like that :p Scientology was referenced. So, being a southern (with a little touch of redneck humor) Irish American I wanted to do a little smart ass rebuttal. So, I found a Tom Cruise pic with an alien tint and there ya have it. :p I even added a sig line but Trained pointed out a certain logic. If ya have a scientology signature line people might actually mistake you for one. So, I deleted the sig. But kept the Cruise. ;)

I did not recognize the alienized Cruise! Good one.

Jeez, I didn't recognise America's resident super-star lunatic:eek:. I cannot get started on scientology! What's that Goggs? (speaks to Mr Hat) 'But Goggs, you haaaaave to post about scientology, you just haaaaave to'.
(Me) - 'oh well ok, as you insisted' ;)......

I won't bother dissecting Scientology except to say that back in 1993, my first visit stateside was to Los Angeles. Walking down Sunset or whatever one with all the stars on the sidewalk (I checked out DeForest Kelly!) and this attractive woman asked me if I wanted to take part in a 'psychological test' -her words- so me, always up for such things agreed. No reason was given as to the ultimate aim but being a new guy in town I thought 'why not?'

It turned out to be a really long multiple-choice questionnaire which I dutifully finished (40mins or so!). She takes it away (out of sight of me) and comes back with a 'computer analysis' of my psychological well-being. Then she started pointing out what a 'low score' I had (without reference to what might be 'normal').

Now, my first trip to California, 20 years old - I was as happy as larry! But this woman kept insisting I was hiding from something in my past etc and I was beginning to smell a rat. I was about to start my 3rd year of an applied physics degree so I like to think I had an understanding of how science is carried out in reality. This stunk of B.S.

I decided to turn it round and ask how high her 'score' was. 'Oh pretty high,' was her reply. Of course it was ;). Anyway, she then started to say that her 'organisation' could help me increase me 'score'. To my shame, it was only then that that I worked out this was a recruitment. At no point was the word 'Scientology' mentioned or even on a sign. I made my excuses and walked out and asked the first local I could find (not easy there actually) who then filled me in....

So whatever beef I may have with Christianity and other religions, they have NEVER hidden themselves in this way when door knocking etc.

Therefore, for being completely sly, Scientology is so utterly at the top of my list of 'bad' religions. I can forgive biblical religious stuff for being from when and where it was, but this crap is recent. Recent and crap - I like that :p.

Debating religion online--which is essentially in public-- is an almost guaranteed way to torch off an endless conflagration of nasty invective.

I have what passes for a belief system. But mostly, I will only discuss it with individuals who I know are capable of separating personal feelings from the dialectic. And here is an example. Even applying the concept of dialectic to religion is offensive to some.

So--I fall back on referrals to the work of such figures as Carl Jung and Robert Heinlein who resonate with my world view. Anyone interested enough I what the heck I think can take the time to read them if they are so inclined.

I find this usually works better than duking it out over how many angels can dance on the head of a Xanax tab. :mad:

dear Kim323;
if i in anything I said offended you I am truly sorry. I don't beleve jesus existed. why becuse there is little to no evidence. But then what do i live by then? there are so many good and noble thing written and teaching that i follow. Jesus is not the only one to have spoken truths and I find truth in so many ways and the ways of life are rich. I give you this some thing I found please listen to it and see what i mean.

yes thats charlie chaplin the comidian. truth is to found evey where. I will try to coninue to look for the truth where ever that truth leads and respect others points of veiw.
all my best BOB

Never realized Charly looked so sad before.

But you can understand why when you listen to what he had to say.

Here is a less glitchy version with a nice sound track put to it

I hope some here understand why I have a tough stance on organized religion..

There is a difference between being religious and spiritual, you know I have said this before, but it is up to the individual to take that step out from under the banner of dogma and explore the world for themselves for yes there are truths to be found on many paths that echo each other.

Follow what path you may, but the moment you cry that your way is the only way and the only truth you have crossed over the line into dogma and blind faith.

I follow my own.. am I religious ... no not at all.. am I a spiritual person .. very much so but not in your new age woo woo way.

As Sri Chinmoy once said "who is god if not the self"

The Universe as I see it is an extremely big place and to think you have all the answers because a book written by what amounts to desert sheep herders tells you so is delusional and arrogant in the extreme.

Instead take from it what you will for as with all things metaphysical it is open to interpretation and as such we run the risk of playing the game of my imaginary friend is better than yours.

Some truths are universal regardless of who said them when and where but the tough job is extracting these truths from the dogma and the wisdom from the lies.

Why do we find the Charlie Chaplin speech so moving?

He speaks from the heart of what man is doing to man, and we can all connect and relate to that. For as it was true when he wrote those lines in the 1930s its is just as true today, that we need to grow up, open our eyes and start looking after each other.

I remember making this video back in the latter part of last year when the Occupy movement was going on and all manner of other crazy stuff was happening around the world.

This is what I wrote about it at the time:

"I was not sure if I wanted to post this video but I thought what the hell why not.
The theme is of the things that keep me awake at night if I think too much about them, but unfortunately that is not hard to do these days.
With all the crazy juxtapositions of wealth and hunger, fashion and exploitation, the lies of leaders that lead us to wage war at a distance numbing us to its human impact.
A collective loss of memory that allows us to commit the same atrocities on others that were committed on us.
Greed, oil, and incompetence that ends in environmental tragedy while all the time pretending to be clean and green.
The slow death of Free of speech through our own apathy and those who would seek to end it through economic and electronic means topped off with a good helping of paid police thugs.
These are all the things that trouble my sleep, do they trouble yours? Or do you ignore all of this as just sad tragedies that don't affect you and sleep soundly?
I am not making accusations just asking an open ended question for this is how I feel. After all is said and done, in the end, it is you who will have to look yourself in the mirror for if you are looking for the ones really responsible you need only look there.
I often wonder how future generations will view this time in history and get the feeling that they will see us as criminals and insane or barbaric at best.
We are systematically robbing our children of a future where they can be free to breathe the air and express their thoughts and feelings as they see fit.
My only hope is that people have finally started to wake up and have begun to fight before we slip into that long dark night of Big Brother and debt slavery while all around us our home burns to the ground for the comfort of the few at the expense of the many.
Like it or hate it that is up to you.
The images speak through the music of how I feel 'that we were all guilty of sleeping at a time when we should have been wide awake.' This is how I feel."

Yes the video is a bit messy but it was a flow of thought at the time and yes those things still keep me awake some nights.

If there is anything I have learned in my life so far it is that I know nothing and the longer I live the less I know.

PS: I still have hope for humanity but we do need to grow up and get over ourselves.

Peace

Just a little disclaimer: the Occupy did its job but some carried it on just a bit to long and did not let it evolve and others did.
There is hope for us all but we need to unite as Charlie says or we will just remain cattle.

Peace again and take care all, for in the end it matters not what color, religion you are.. what matters is your humanity.

I have always liked Charlie Chaplin. That is, of course, from The Great Dictator. Chaplin at the time was really affected, to say the least, about Hitler and the Nazis and the treatment of Jews. He had sort of a resemblance to Hitler, and used it to good effect. I don't really at all think, though, that this clip or the film can be used as any sort of attack on religion, especially Christianity per se. Quite the opposite. The, what's in his speech, something like, "machine men with machine hearts and minds" clearly applies to the Nazis. He was appalled with the anti-Semistism of the Nazis. I do agree with the sentiment, though, that vesvehighfolk and stonehart imply with use of the clip. If only we could do as Chaplin says, indeed, I agree completely.

C.S. Lewis, in the last novel of his "space trilogy," talks of how science can be misused.

I don't think at all that Christianity can be singled out as militaristic. I don't think Chaplin, again, can be used in that way. And, speaking of militarism, Hinduism and Buddhism and Islam can be shown to have a very pronounced military emphasis indeed.

I think Chaplin was very prescient. For a hand clenching experience, before Chaplin was, as indeed the world was, fully aware of what the Nazis were up to, see "A Film Unfinished," a documentary about a film the Nazis were making of life in the Warsaw ghetto. A lot of actual film footage from the Nazis' own cameras, as they attempted to document how good life was there!

Stonehart, I appreciate the whole tone of your post, and sense that it was made from the heart, and appreciate that. I agree with you on some things.

However, I do want to point out what I've tried to point out before: that history just has to be consulted on religion, Judaism, and Christianity. You speak of your "stance on organized religion." And, more to my point, you say, "a book written by what amounts to desert sheep herders," and "what it tells you is so delusional and arrogant in the extreme." May I point out, aside from the not so subtle insinuation (that's a euphemism!), the historical inaccuracy of that? First of all, you realize that that statement of "fact" is a condemnation not of Christianity, but of the Jews. The Old Testament has a rich and long history, it was composed at different times by different men, over the course of the ninth to fourth centuries B.C. These men were educated and were telling the history of their people. The Old Testament is very much a testament to the Jews' own shortcomings in living up to their God, and about their struggles, in great detail. You know, of course, about the Babylonian Captivity, the Exile and the Return? "Desert sheep herders" carries a connotation, and I'm just pointing this out, and that is of course my opinion, and am addressing this on this thread because it's become a topic of this thread. For more on the Jews and my perspective on their history and the Old Testament, you can read my posts on the Thomas Fusco thread started by Angelo.

One thing I've noticed about history, and its perception by people, and I think this is pervasive, and I see it because I taught it for so many years, and Heaven knows, I have much to learn still, and I'm just saying this as a general observation that from my experience is true. That is, that history has to be really gotten into, read about, studied as to what scholars on different periods have written, what primary sources say, and so on. First of all, a basic chronology has to be learned. I know I'm sounding lecturing, and I don't mean it that way, because I see evidence of a lot of knowledge on these forums. What I mean is, you've got to know some more than just merely basic, timeline. For instance, if you say "the Greeks" or "the Romans" or Henry VIII to many people, it's not really their fault, but they tend to lump it all together, so centuries are compressed, whole peoples' histories are confused and melded into trite terms, like oh, yeah, there was the emperor Augustus, and gladiators, and Plato, and oh yeah, Alexander the Great, he was Greek, right?, and Henry VIII murdered all eight of his wives (!), and on and on. And so when you say "a book written by what amounts to desert sheepherders," you are drawing on an image you have in your mind of the Jews going into Canaan, Moses leading them, and yes, they DID herd sheep, who doubts that (!), but the point you are trying to make becomes sort of a mockery of history and it as a field that deserves respect, not only as it pertains to the peoples of the world, but to scholarly endeavor. And the point about what the statement says about, not Christians, but Jews, is clear as to what I think you meant. You can't dismiss a whole rich field with such statement. The history of Israel is one of great richness and sophistication.

Anyway, I do believe that religion and this forum about the paranormal cannot be separated. Kim

I agree with most of what you've written Kim - the sticking point is the 'supernatural' aspect, as in, whether it it literal or not.
I've no doubt both old and new testament contain historical facts and figures....fine. It's just the bit's where 'high strangeness' occur. Parting of the sea, walking on water etc and of course the virgin birth. It is these aspects I find no more evidence for than any other 'folk' story.
FYI I have read both old and new testaments and the koran. I felt it would be unwise to ever argue such things and have people ask whether I'd even read a bible!

The question for me is just was Jesus an actual supernatural birth intended by an all powerful god or was he a human, no more, around which a religion was based. If I thought the former was true I'd be going to church.

Does no-one else see the inherent 'favouritism' of God if he chose only to have all his amazing stuff happen in pretty much the same area of the world? Why just there and not the outback of Australia? Sounds too much to me like someone came up with mono-theism and then tweaked it to get new followers away from the previous one. It had already been 'bought' in the middle east so that's where the new model was marketed!

I'm not a scholar so forgive me if I'm completely wrong here. But, I think I have read that in the original language the "virgin" can be translated "young woman" if so then there ya go. Young women have babies all the time. ;) The walking on water or healing the blind is no more "strange" than aliens taking you our of your room at night for a butt probe. :p

Dunno there Steve - Kim's the scholar on that score for sure. But I may be mistaken (often) but is that not the whole point of the 'immaculate conception'?
I totally agree with strange events being strange events. It's the fact there is the middle east lineage to those religions and they are based around one person representing God. Other strange events (apart from Steven Greer) seem to be more 'democratic' in happening to various people!

You may have an interesting point I may not have considered before too - that other equally strange events happened at those times to normal people - without any main biblical 'player' being involved. If that was indeed the case I could see such stories being suppressed to prevent the 'shine' being taken off the major strange events, if you get my meaning!

Okay, this is something that people get confused all the time. The Immaculate Conception actually refers to the conception of Mary, the mother of Jesus, as she was born free of original sin, although both her parents (Saint Jaochim and Saint Anne) were human.
Jesus was born of a virgin. There was no sex involved.

How come she gets a pass on the sin score? I'm pretty sure I committed no crimes before conception!
Thanks for info Angelo.

who is supposed to be moderating this thread? i thought it was about forum rules, not Immaculate Conception and religion.;)

Back