• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Aaron banned?

posting the sentiments of those PM's is likely to undermine that option.

It might. One thing: The recipient owns the post. This is well-established in law. 'If you don't want a post to be seen in the newspaper, don't post it.' is a good rule to follow.

Mr Biedny once stated "im done with the paracast" and disconnected, on air no less. but he still had the maturity to own it and take the criticism in the forums that followed.

I remember him disconnecting, but I don't remember him saying that at the time he disconnected. In any case, one small difference is that he owns the forums. Just sayin' ;)

It might. One thing: The recipient owns the post. This is well-established in law. 'If you don't want a post to be seen in the newspaper, don't post it.' is a good rule to follow.

I remember him disconnecting, but I don't remember him saying that at the time he disconnected. In any case, one small difference is that he owns the forums. Just sayin' ;)

oh there is no doubt, he's even more "invested" in the show and therefore thats a factor in his willingness to own the gaffe . weighing up pride against its cost its a no brainer to simply say you know what i was having a bad day , it wasnt the optimal thing to do but im still here. that is even though he said he was going to give it all up, he didnt actually make that choice in the end. it wasnt worth the waste of "investement" already put into the project. that inconsistancy translates out as personal loss of face, but he was able to see that a small loss of face was not worth throwing away such a valuable investment.

i was hoping Aaron might see a similar equation in his situation

Gil.... as i said if he had chosen to publically leave the forums he would have, instead it appears as if he sent a personal message to some instead, from what it would appear to be a concern they might worry about his not posting and wonder if ill had befallen him, very considerate i'd say.
and its true having said it in personal messages he should expect it might filter out to the public side of things...
i personally would have respected that choice for the reasons stated earlier, essentially he chose not to burn his bridges publically, possibly because he felt he might want to use them at a latter date if he changed his mind.......

and thats my point here.... if you need to take a break take a break, if you come back you come back if you dont you dont....... its all part of the journey

but a wise man doesnt burn his bridges needlessly..........

One big reason this forum is good is because of the diversity of our opinions and points of view. Both Aaron and Gil contributed greatly to that diversity.

The one thing that is easy to loose in a text based world is mutual respect. I know I am guilty of it from time to time. It is easy to offend and easy to be offended. I think that if we can all learn something from the departure of these guys it is that we can wildly disagree but we should approach each other with a certain amount of respect. I liked Aaron and Gil. I didnt always agree with them. But to me that is what this forum is really about. You are presented wth different ideas and points of view and you get to determine what your stance is and why. I think it is safe to say that if you participate here, you have earned some degree of respect. Afterall, you're at least trying not to be a sheep.

Anyhow... I hope they decide to come back. I think it is obvious that they are welcome and respected here.

The one thing that is easy to loose in a text based world is mutual respect. I know I am guilty of it from time to time. It is easy to offend and easy to be offended. I think that if we can all learn something from the departure of these guys it is that we can wildly disagree but we should approach each other with a certain amount of respect..

I removed some parts of your post as my response does not really apply to Aaron or Gil in particular, but I feel it applies to all of us, equally.

As you say, text does not lend itself well to subtle humour, and the smilies cover only the basics of the myriad of human emotions we all possess.

SOME of us have our opinions treated with respect, SOME of us get to swear at others and call them idiots, and SOME of us have to take that as the price to remain forum participants.

To be certain, some of those opinions are inflammatory, and do cause great discomfort to others. We teach our youngsters that if they do not know how to talk to others with respect and kindness, others will soon not bother talking to them at all, and they will be very lonely as grown-ups.

Those of us who have forgotten, or never been taught that as a youngster may do well to remember it.

Ignoring posts that are inflammatory would be the most effective self-censoring tool available to forum members, but we are all guilty of the rubber-necking at a traffic accident syndrome. If someone says something we dislike strongly or disagree with, we have to say so, don't we? And I am certainly one who does not shy away from disagreeing with anything or anyone, if the mood strikes me. Which it often does.

I think keeping a conversation on civil levels is very difficult when discussing religion, paranormal events, ufos and politics. Strong reactions to diverging opinions are usually based on emotions, and not facts.

We can all learn something new from just about anyone in this forum, no matter how much you disagree with them. And if you feel you absolutely cannot learn anything useful from a poster, then the ignore button is much more civilised than cussing them out with childish insults.

That is my fifty cents worth for today.

I'm not sure, but I think Mike just condensed the entire training process of the Army Core of Engineers into one short paragraph :)

Not to mention, the BEAUTIFULLY metaphorically summarized and crystalized description of the psychological tech needed to have two folks make up... I really needed that, as I have just closed an entire forum rather than choose sides and ban any one individual or multiple individuals. It was a beautiful thing come to an end, but my heart was just not capable of choosing and banning. I am humble before those who must face such situations, and put them into my prayers!

Thanks. I'll be sober and try and behave this time around if given the chance:)

From what periodic checkins I have done here over the last year or so, I have often found your postins and presence to be of value. I am glad that I was able to witness such an awesome thing. I just had to remove a forum from the web because of a huge case of the uglies between 3 folks who should be able to walk the path you are choosing, but cannot get over themselves in any way. It too was a case where both sides had their rights and wrongs, and all should have been able to realize each other's worth over a handful of misc rights / wrongs.

Like mike said:

weighing up pride against its cost its a no brainer to simply say you know what i was having a bad day , it wasnt the optimal thing to do but im still here.

That is what I wish my folks could have done, and I have had to do recently when the whole thing went nuts... it felt great on my end, to let those things go, and I know the other three folks involved (in my issue) would feel great as well, if they too would choose the humbleness.

I think, from what little I have gathered of the situation, that you should be very proud of takin that path, because it's the path that we're ALL going to have to take together to ever have a peaceful world, and aint many folks steppin up to the plate with that way of being, relatively speaking.

:shy:

From what periodic checkins I have done here over the last year or so, I have often found your postins and presence to be of value. I am glad that I was able to witness such an awesome thing. I just had to remove a forum from the web because of a huge case of the uglies between 3 folks who should be able to walk the path you are choosing, but cannot get over themselves in any way. It too was a case where both sides had their rights and wrongs, and all should have been able to realize each other's worth over a handful of misc rights / wrongs.

Like mike said:

That is what I wish my folks could have done, and I have had to do recently when the whole thing went nuts... it felt great on my end, to let those things go, and I know the other three folks involved (in my issue) would feel great as well, if they too would choose the humbleness.

I think, from what little I have gathered of the situation, that you should be very proud of takin that path, because it's the path that we're ALL going to have to take together to ever have a peaceful world, and aint many folks steppin up to the plate with that way of being, relatively speaking.

:shy:

What forum you run? Might visit.

What forum you run? Might visit.

It no longer exists... took it down this past Sunday, I believe it was, after a long battle with the uglies. It was a local joint, so it really effected real world things as well, between several cousins, all of us who, coincidentally, recently discovered that we were cousins and all traced back to the same Great Great Granddaddy who was the only man ever hung LEGALLY in Haralson County GA. It is not related to that, the troubles, but just a neat "coincidence".

I told everyone involved that if the rules could not be respected, and there was only ONE... "No bashing of other folks or forums", that I would close it rather than choose people to ban, which would essentially have been choosing a SIDE in battle that BOTH had what I viewed as more or less = rights and wrongs... or at least both sides were understandable.

Anyway, it was just a shame that none of them would just get over themselves for the sake of all of the innocent folks in the awesome little "Whoville", but I was not able to baby sit, as I am busy surviving with independence, and did not want to leave it unattended with them feuding in front of those who just wanted a cool place to hang with cool folks, so I just let it go. I could not really get a moderator much because most of the non-involved members were old ladies. I probly could have taught a couple of em how to do it, but really just needed to get to work. :D

It no longer exists... took it down this past Sunday, I believe it was, after a long battle with the uglies. It was a local joint, so it really effected real world things as well, between several cousins, all of us who, coincidentally, recently discovered that we were cousins and all traced back to the same Great Great Granddaddy who was the only man ever hung LEGALLY in Haralson County GA. It is not related to that, the troubles, but just a neat "coincidence".

I told everyone involved that if the rules could not be respected, and there was only ONE... "No bashing of other folks or forums", that I would close it rather than choose people to ban, which would essentially have been choosing a SIDE in battle that BOTH had what I viewed as more or less = rights and wrongs... or at least both sides were understandable.

Anyway, it was just a shame that none of them would just get over themselves for the sake of all of the innocent folks in the awesome little "Whoville", but I was not able to baby sit, as I am busy surviving with independence, and did not want to leave it unattended with them feuding in front of those who just wanted a cool place to hang with cool folks, so I just let it go. I could not really get a moderator much because most of the non-involved members were old ladies. I probly could have taught a couple of em how to do it, but really just needed to get to work. :D

Sorry, dumb of me. You did say you took it down lol. Thought you might have a site though.

I came across some family tree site the other day. I know very little about my heredity and was curious, but didn't fill out the form cause I'm sure they woulda charged me money for the results. Spend 30 minutes filling out a form then blamo, they charge you for the results. Nice tactic.

Sorry, dumb of me. You did say you took it down lol. Thought you might have a site though.

I came across some family tree site the other day. I know very little about my heredity and was curious, but didn't fill out the form cause I'm sure they woulda charged me money for the results. Spend 30 minutes filling out a form then blamo, they charge you for the results. Nice tactic.

Stillborn, genealogy is great and MUCH research can be done for free online. My father and I have been researching for years.

I can't stress this enough - get every bit of information you can from your still living relatives, NOW.

Then start searching census records, marriage records, real estate transactions, etc... That is the easy stuff first. Then it gets fun!!!

Stillborn, genealogy is great and MUCH research can be done for free online. My father and I have been researching for years.

I can't stress this enough - get every bit of information you can from your still living relatives, NOW.

Then start searching census records, marriage records, real estate transactions, etc... That is the easy stuff first. Then it gets fun!!!

I haven't been able to find any free sites yet. But nice to see there are some. Thanks.

I haven't been able to find any free sites yet. But nice to see there are some. Thanks.

MyHeritage, their free software / resources, and your still living / findable family are an excellent start. Then, when you get some good leads, sign up for a 30 day trial at Ancestry.com and get all of the census records you can dig up during that time, is what I have done so far.

Great places to start

FamilySearch.org - Search

Cyndi's List of Genealogy Sites on the Internet

These two can keep you busy for weeks

Lots of information on how and where to research. Not all will be online. Visit an LDS Church Family History center close to you. You will be SURPRISED as to how helpful and free it is. Don't worry, no one will try to convert you.

Have fun!

Back